U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RudyBaylor

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby RudyBaylor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:46 am

Congrats Insomniac. I suppose I've now lost my title as "Last One in the Door". I kind of miss it already. Word of advice, get that immunization form in ASAP. Nothing moves forward without it.

toulon99

Postby toulon99 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Are there any other informal but school run gatherings that are scheduled during orientation week? Maybe a separate event specifically for each section or potentially a significant others dinner? I wonder because the orientation week is bizarrely spread out and I feel those two off days must have something else. I don't care if they don't, but would like to know. I also know how much the med school does during their orientation week, which is much more than the law school seems to do.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:16 pm

toulon99 wrote:Are there any other informal but school run gatherings that are scheduled during orientation week? Maybe a separate event specifically for each section or potentially a significant others dinner? I wonder because the orientation week is bizarrely spread out and I feel those two off days must have something else. I don't care if they don't, but would like to know. I also know how much the med school does during their orientation week, which is much more than the law school seems to do.

there's only one off day? unless you count Monday as well.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:28 pm

toulon99 wrote:Are there any other informal but school run gatherings that are scheduled during orientation week? Maybe a separate event specifically for each section or potentially a significant others dinner? I wonder because the orientation week is bizarrely spread out and I feel those two off days must have something else. I don't care if they don't, but would like to know. I also know how much the med school does during their orientation week, which is much more than the law school seems to do.

The facebook groups have info! From what I have gathered, there's a scavenger hunt one day (Wed or Thurs?) that ends in a small social, a larger social on Friday, and a BBQ on Saturday!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Barbie wrote:

The facebook groups have info! From what I have gathered, there's a scavenger hunt one day (Wed or Thurs?) that ends in a small social, a larger social on Friday, and a BBQ on Saturday!

hey Barbs, she/he asked about school run events. The BBQ isn't school run haha.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:36 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Barbie wrote:

hey Barbs, she/he asked about school run events. The BBQ isn't school run haha.

pshtttttt-- advertisement, bro!

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:52 am

RudyBaylor wrote:Congrats Insomniac. I suppose I've now lost my title as "Last One in the Door". I kind of miss it already. Word of advice, get that immunization form in ASAP. Nothing moves forward without it.

Thanks RudyBaylor. I appreciate it. They had me stressed until the very last minute it seemed. Since I was a student at UF for undergrad, I think they should already have my immunization forms on file. Either way, I will find out on Monday. Any other advice from you guys regarding what to do to get started since I will not be hearing from anyone until Monday?? Also is anyone staying in Cobblestone apartments? I signed a lease there and it looks beautiful. Also, the residents there had virtually nothing but great things to say about it.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 am

Insomniac wrote:
RudyBaylor wrote:Congrats Insomniac. I suppose I've now lost my title as "Last One in the Door". I kind of miss it already. Word of advice, get that immunization form in ASAP. Nothing moves forward without it.

Thanks RudyBaylor. I appreciate it. They had me stressed until the very last minute it seemed. Since I was a student at UF for undergrad, I think they should already have my immunization forms on file. Either way, I will find out on Monday. Any other advice from you guys regarding what to do to get started since I will not be hearing from anyone until Monday?? Also is anyone staying in Cobblestone apartments? I signed a lease there and it looks beautiful. Also, the residents there had virtually nothing but great things to say about it.

They should be on file. I sent mine in just in case though. Are you there now? Congrats btw! :)

toulon99

Postby toulon99 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:57 am

Barbie wrote:

Thanks, yeah I saw the casual gatherings. The med school's orientation week starts on that Sunday (lake house party and significant other's dinner) and runs until Friday with orientation stuff in the day and social gatherings at night. Was surprised the law school orientation was so barebones in comparison, but it allows me to work a little more which I don't mind.

Meet you all soon.

p.s. I suppose I could look this up, but I am lazy. Anyone know off hand whether I can jump between the med-block and law-block for gator games or are you locked into a block once you join?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:05 am

toulon99 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Thanks, yeah I saw the casual gatherings. The med school's orientation week starts on that Sunday (lake house party and significant other's dinner) and runs until Friday with orientation stuff in the day and social gatherings at night. Was surprised the law school orientation was so barebones in comparison, but it allows me to work a little more which I don't mind.

Meet you all soon

p.s. I suppose I could look this up, but I am lazy. Anyone know off hand whether I can jump between the med-block and law-block for gator games or are you locked into a block once you join?

to get out of the block you just have to give them your id and take your id out of the block. It's not hard but it's kind of a pain in the ass

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39 am

toulon99 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Meet you all soon.

You just named 2 events the med school is having... and I also listed 2 events the law school is having outside of the BBQ on Saturday. The 1L social on Friday and the scavenger hunt are school ran events. JMBA just hasn't officially sent out the details yet.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:41 am

THEY ALREADY HAVE BETTER CAREER PROSPECTS DON'T LET THEM BEAT US AT ORIENTATION, TOO

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:57 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:THEY ALREADY HAVE BETTER CAREER PROSPECTS DON'T LET THEM BEAT US AT ORIENTATION, TOO

I remember someone saying they always win at intramural sports :evil:

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:THEY ALREADY HAVE BETTER CAREER PROSPECTS DON'T LET THEM BEAT US AT ORIENTATION, TOO

I feel like that is completely inexplicable lol

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:29 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I feel like that is completely inexplicable lol

Why :( Law students... we buff!.... right?

toulon99

Postby toulon99 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Barbie wrote:
toulon99 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Meet you all soon.

You just named 2 events the med school is having... and I also listed 2 events the law school is having outside of the BBQ on Saturday. The 1L social on Friday and the scavenger hunt are school ran events. JMBA just hasn't officially sent out the details yet.

Those two events I mentioned are both on Sunday; I didn't feel the need to post everything else they do as it doesn't really matter. I was just surprised at the difference between the two school's orientations.

I didn't follow that the scavenger hunt was school run as it was lumped with the informal BBQ. That's cool, though. Cheers

prettyinpink02

Postby prettyinpink02 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:42 pm

toulon99 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Meet you all soon.

Just out of curiosity why are you so interested in the med school?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:36 pm

toulon99 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
toulon99 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Meet you all soon.

Those two events I mentioned are both on Sunday; I didn't feel the need to post everything else they do as it doesn't really matter. I was just surprised at the difference between the two school's orientations.

I didn't follow that the scavenger hunt was school run as it was lumped with the informal BBQ. That's cool, though. Cheers

I am confused by your use of "formal" and "informal"... Are you using formal to mean school-ran? Or student ran? (Aren't these essentially the same thing given JMBA is composed of students...) Also, lake party sounds pretty informal in terms of the actual definition of the word. And if a lake party is formal, a student-ran BBQ for law students is equally formal, IMO.

What do I know though, I'm just a law student. I'm sure the med students are much wiser :lol:

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:49 pm

I have a theory about med school having more social events during orientation. They have exams every week or at least every two weeks, so they have a lot less chances to go out and socialize during the year. Meanwhile, law kids have two months of going out every night of our three day weekends. That may not be the actual reason, but it makes sense. And, while ILSP is good an informative, I assure you it doesn't need to be any longer.

As for the socials, the scavenger hunt will be on Thursday from 1-4, ending with a happy hour at either Gator City or Salty Dog. The 1L/Ambassador social is at Mothers on Friday at 5.

Also, someone mentioned med school winning intramurals, but I don't think that's accurate. They're probably referring to Grad Cup, but I'm pretty sure pharmacy has won that the last couple of years. However, we've got a plan this year. The law school is bringing home the Grad Cup this Spring. :D

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:05 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
Also, someone mentioned med school winning intramurals, but I don't think that's accurate. They're probably referring to Grad Cup, but I'm pretty sure pharmacy has won that the last couple of years. However, we've got a plan this year. The law school is bringing home the Grad Cup this Spring. :D

It's definitely inaccurate re: intramural sports, and it probably is inaccurate re: grad cup (although I'm not as sure about the grad cup). For example, a group of law students has won the intramural basketball league for the entire school--not just against graduate students--for a few years (sadly, though, that group just graduated with me). A group of law students won one of the tennis leagues (not sure if they won the all-league championship). You will find collegiate athletes of various sports in your law school class--so yes, Barbie, "we buff" haha.

UFGator2011

Postby UFGator2011 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:34 pm

I just got off the waitlist on Friday as well. It still feels pretty surreal. I am going to go visit the campus tomorrow, but I was wondering how everyone is dealing with the housing situation. I was thinking of staying at Continuum, the new graduate housing that's opening up in the Fall. What do you guys think? Is it close enough to the law building? I am probably not bringing my car, and I want to live close enough that I can walk. Can't wait to meet you guys during orientation :mrgreen: .

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:08 pm

UFGator2011 wrote:I just got off the waitlist on Friday as well. It still feels pretty surreal. I am going to go visit the campus tomorrow, but I was wondering how everyone is dealing with the housing situation. I was thinking of staying at Continuum, the new graduate housing that's opening up in the Fall. What do you guys think? Is it close enough to the law building? I am probably not bringing my car, and I want to live close enough that I can walk. Can't wait to meet you guys during orientation :mrgreen: .

I'm not sure, but if that is the place that was advertised in our packets at ASD, it is way way WAY overpriced. I think a solid amount to pay is between 400-500. There are people with houses around the law school still looking for people to move in. If you join the facebook group I think some people were posting them there. Congrats!!

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:46 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UFGator2011

Postby UFGator2011 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 am

AJaKe wrote:
UFGator2011 wrote:I just got off the waitlist on Friday as well. It still feels pretty surreal. I am going to go visit the campus tomorrow, but I was wondering how everyone is dealing with the housing situation. I was thinking of staying at Continuum, the new graduate housing that's opening up in the Fall. What do you guys think? Is it close enough to the law building? I am probably not bringing my car, and I want to live close enough that I can walk. Can't wait to meet you guys during orientation :mrgreen: .

If you are a female my friend who is a 3L needs a roommate 400-450/month, own bathroom close to law school

Can you please pm me her information? I am interested and coming by today to checkout UF and Gainsville. Maybe I can set up something with her to checkout the place? Thanks so much.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”