U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
prettyinpink02

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby prettyinpink02 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:01 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:One week people!!!!! :D

Ahhhhh I can't wait!!! I'm so excited for everyone to be in G-ville and for us to FINALLY get our sections. My friend that's going to Georgia State got his yesterday, I was super jealous!

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:32 pm

jnichols wrote:Quick question, what is the general attire during orientation? It mentions casual dress for two days and courtroom attire for one, but any idea on specifics?

Last year casual really meant business casual. Court room attire meant suits. It's pretty laid back, but you don't want to be the one guy that shows up in board shorts.

As for the open book tests, I have to agree with what GatorStudent said. It's not really an advantage and most of what you bring will just be a security blanket. I had one closed note/closed book and exam and felt like I knew it better than any of my other subjects. I prepared knowing I wouldn't have that security blanket, and the exam was really fair.

The professors got shaken up a bit this year, but I can tell you a little bit about what I experienced last year.

Jacobs: Crim Law, Section 1: I loved her. She is very serious in class, and some people don't respond well to that. 100% socratic method. You're going to get called on at some point and she's not going to let you off the hook. She didn't let gunners dominate conversation, which was nice. I guarantee you that people will either love or hate her. She's very similar to my favorite professor from undergrad, so I really enjoyed class. The exam was closed book/note, but was very fair in my opinion

Mashburn: Professional Responsibility A, Section 1: She's a very nice, very intelligent woman. I had her for Civ Pro, not PR. Both classes are rule based, so they're the hardest to make engaging for students. I found her very helpful in office hours and thought the test was fair.

Klein: Property, Section 1: She's hilarious. She was very engaging and made things interesting. She did a good job of getting students involved without relying on the socratic method. My only complaint is that she taught things at a very basic level but gave one of the hardest exams I've had.

Noah: Torts, Section 1: Dude is a genius. Often sites his own articles in class. His practice exams were based off of article he's written. He was the Law Review Editor at Harvard. Sometimes I get the feeling that he's not excited about teaching at UF Law. He never cold called, usually he just sat on the table up front talking and taking volunteers. He says he doesn't take attendance, but at least one person lost half a grade level for poor attendance. The exam was a time crunch, big time issue spotting.

Stinneford: Crim Law A, Section 2: I agree with everything that's already been said. Very friendly, great teacher. I had him for Con Law. My friends that had him for Crim really liked him and enjoyed the class.

Davis: Contracts, Section 2: We had to prepare two cases a day and he called on people using a random ping pong ball bingo machine. Most people really liked him. I didn't like contracts in general, so that probably swayed my opinion. He's very intelligent, but it's clear that he's been doing and saying the same thing for years. We had an old outline and he followed it almost verbatim. He has a lot of old exams available for practice, but our final was very different. Our final was based primarily on the last three weeks of class, which I wasn't a big fan of.

Like GatorStudent said, opinions are very mixed. When I was setting up my Fall schedule I would literally have one person say "best professor ever" and another say "don't even consider taking them!" I think the most important thing is your classmates. If everyone is prepared and willing to participate, then classes are generally good. If no one has read, or if only one or two people want to talk the entire time, it gets a little rough.

ILSP is coming, I hope you're all looking forward to it. Try to keep the afternoon of your free day open if you can. (I think it's Thursday, but I'm not sure.) JMBA is planning an voluntary event that should be a lot of fun and give you a chance to get to know some people without being in the orientation setting.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Thank you for being so helpful, GatorStudent, Moose, AJake!

As for ILSP, I recommend everyone also keep open Wed night. I hear there is going to be a big party :mrgreen:

RudyBaylor

Postby RudyBaylor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Forgive the ignorance of the 'last one in the door'. But what is 'ISLP' ?

RudyBaylor

Postby RudyBaylor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:25 pm

Haha, or "ILSP", it's kind of sad. I feel like a 9th grader who moved into a new town in September.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:40 pm

RudyBaylor wrote:Forgive the ignorance of the 'last one in the door'. But what is 'ISLP' ?

Orientation for new students. Lasts a few days.

amarkonthedoor

Postby amarkonthedoor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:23 pm

RudyBaylor wrote:Forgive the ignorance of the 'last one in the door'. But what is 'ISLP' ?

Go here to register: --LinkRemoved--

The deadline was July 1, but I'm sure you'll get an extension of some kind (and avoid the late fee) if you call or email Michelle Ocepek.

RudyBaylor

Postby RudyBaylor » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:39 am

Jose Baez walks out in front of his client, no vest on. I'll take that image with me for all three years. That is what you call advocacy.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:12 am

RudyBaylor wrote:Jose Baez walks out in front of his client, no vest on. I'll take that image with me for all three years. That is what you call advocacy.

How do you know he didn't have a vest on? (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

In all seriousness, I respect him for defending her, despite what people say. John Adams defended the British soldiers, because they needed legal representation even though they were scorned....

(And, yes, of course he defended her for other reasons. But he seemed to genuinely care about defending her rights, despite his many "sins.")

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:06 am

Current students: For the week of Thanksgiving, are we really only off on that Thursday (according to the academic calendar) or do some professors cancel class that Wednesday (can they even do that)? I'm going to stay in Gainesville for Thanksgiving, but I was just curious.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:12 am

thewarflamingo wrote:Current students: For the week of Thanksgiving, are we really only off on that Thursday (according to the academic calendar) or do some professors cancel class that Wednesday (can they even do that)? I'm going to stay in Gainesville for Thanksgiving, but I was just curious.

Some professors will cancel classes, but I would not count on it. A lot of people just leave that week and skip class.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 am

mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Current students: For the week of Thanksgiving, are we really only off on that Thursday (according to the academic calendar) or do some professors cancel class that Wednesday (can they even do that)? I'm going to stay in Gainesville for Thanksgiving, but I was just curious.

Some professors will cancel classes, but I would not count on it. A lot of people just leave that week and skip class.

My job lets former employees and such work black Friday for as many hours as they want and give a $200 bonus with the wage, so I'll probably be heading back home for the extra cash lol

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:28 am

mistergoft wrote:

hmm even some 1Ls will skip? I don't think I'd want to skip class M-W that week.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

hmm even some 1Ls will skip? I don't think I'd want to skip class M-W that week.

^^^ Proof that school needs to start already lol

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:43 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

Yeah, a nontrivial amount of 1Ls do. You'll quickly learn that you can teach most of this stuff to yourself, going to class is mostly about learning about your professor and what he or she looks for on exams.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:45 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:30 am

mistergoft wrote: You'll quickly learn that you can teach most of this stuff to yourself, going to class is mostly about learning about your professor and what he or she looks for on exams.

Credited. If only more law students picked that up early-on....

Light

Postby Light » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:42 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Light wrote:I withdrew on Friday freeing up 36k to attend Cornell with a bit of aid.

Thanks to FeeltheHeat and others who gave me some advice earlier on. One primary reason I withdrew is because I felt UF misrepresented their employment statistics to an unacceptable extent and in reality I wouldn't be likely to have the opportunities I'd want.

GL everyone, hope someone deserving gets my money.

Good luck at Cornell. Would you mind elaborating on your claim about the misrepresented employment statistics?

Thank you and sorry for the very late reply. I had actually called UF to get more detailed employment statistics and scholarship retention statistics - I had posted them in this thread somewhere. If you go to my profile and search my posts you should be able to find the post.
Let me clarify, they appeared to be forthcoming with the info when I called them. But the employment info isn't posted on their website and hasn't been for awhile when I called (in late May). They said oh it's because the 2009 stats are outdated we don't want outdated info on our site (nevermind that like every other law school had 2009 info on their site at the time and it's a better predictor than no info).
They assured me that once the 2010 statistics are finished in June they will put them up. Well it's mid/late July and after a quick browse I still don't see them, unless someone can find them for me.

Now the statistics they gave me weren't amazing but by no means were they terrible. However, many people on these forums who are UF students or know UF students pretty much unanimously said these stats were bull and were severely juiced up. This corroborates what other UF grads at my internship have told me too when I shared the stats with them. While I don't have the resources to conduct a thorough survey using every graduate, I think it's reasonable at this point to suspect these stats aren't accurate.

Also 7% of the people who count as "employed" are working for UF in bs fellowships for 3 months just to count as employed :\ And this is what UF itself claims (on the phone not openly).

If you have any more questions about it let me know or let me know if you can't find my post. I think I posted the person that I talked to so you can corroborate this info too.

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Barbie wrote:People in the immunizations office are unhelpful/ignorant. I have to drive BACK to UPS and re-fax mine today because they "didn't receive it".... I called them immediately after to see if they went through yesterday and they told me to wait a day... I waited a day to find out it didn't work! YAY. Yall should check on yours too!

+1

I faxed my paperwork over the weekend when I got home from drill. I checked ISIS this afternoon to see if the hold had cleared, but it hadn't, so I called to confirm they got everything.

Anyway, I basically got chewed out by the lady on the phone for not being intelligent enough to read directions that anything with a titer date required lab work. Also was scolded for pronouncing the word titer incorrectly. Funny, I'm world-wide deployable to go to some off-forsaken place, but I'm a questionable health concern at UF? Hmmm.

Fortunately, the base clinic found the lab work in my folder. However, it looked pretty illegible since it was a copy of a copy of a copy, etc since it was almost 14 years ago when I went through the infamous shot line at Basic Training. I figure when I call to follow-up, they'll probably say "I cant read this".

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:
Barbie wrote:People in the immunizations office are unhelpful/ignorant. I have to drive BACK to UPS and re-fax mine today because they "didn't receive it".... I called them immediately after to see if they went through yesterday and they told me to wait a day... I waited a day to find out it didn't work! YAY. Yall should check on yours too!

+1

I faxed my paperwork over the weekend when I got home from drill. I checked ISIS this afternoon to see if the hold had cleared, but it hadn't, so I called to confirm they got everything.

Anyway, I basically got chewed out by the lady on the phone for not being intelligent enough to read directions that anything with a titer date required lab work. Also was scolded for pronouncing the word titer incorrectly. Funny, I'm world-wide deployable to go to some off-forsaken place, but I'm a questionable health concern at UF? Hmmm.

Fortunately, the base clinic found the lab work in my folder. However, it looked pretty illegible since it was a copy of a copy of a copy, etc since it was almost 14 years ago when I went through the infamous shot line at Basic Training. I figure when I call to follow-up, they'll probably say "I cant read this".

First, I may be PMing you to bug you about military stuff. My husband is at MEPS right now (I think thats what its called). Second, how old are you? Basic 14 years ago?

DrackedaryMaster

Postby DrackedaryMaster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Barbie wrote:
DrackedaryMaster wrote:

+1

First, I may be PMing you to bug you about military stuff. My husband is at MEPS right now (I think thats what its called). Second, how old are you? Basic 14 years ago?

32... I might as well get used to my new nickname of "Grandpa" during 1L

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:51 pm

I will be asking you military questions as well. Prepare yourself :)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:53 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I will be asking you military questions as well. Prepare yourself :)

Asking AFTER you finish 1L, right, right??

and WHERE ARE MY DECORATION IDEAS! jk... kinda....

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Barbie wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I will be asking you military questions as well. Prepare yourself :)

Asking AFTER you finish 1L, right, right??

and WHERE ARE MY DECORATION IDEAS! jk... kinda....

Dude, I have had NO time to look at decorations between actual work, being my dad's free accountant, and packing. I'll look for some tonight though.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:26 pm

Titer reports? Wtf? I just had the doc fill in my information, stamp it, and sent it in this morning. What else am I supposed to do???

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”