U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ns77770

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:23 pm

amarkonthedoor wrote:
ns77770 wrote:Damn you got accepted today and they only give you till Monday to decide? Anyway congrats on your options and good luck with your decision.

Edit: You said you might visit tomorrow but it's Saturday so idk if it will be totally dead (with nobody to talk to)

Thanks! and yeah, the deadline really really sucks. I'm wondering if there's any point in visiting at all, it being summer and the weekend and all, as much as I'd hate blindly deciding one way or the other. I did like FSU (went to an ASD there) but I have no basis for comparison having never visited UF.

When I pass by it during the week the parking lot is full (I think summer classes are going on for some people?). Any chance you can ask for like a two day extension so you could possibly take a tour/talk to students on Monday (unless the deadline is really strict)? I know it's not an admitted students day but then you could at least have some sort of reference for comparison. Anyway good luck!

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm in the same boat as amarkonthedoor so I will be monitoring this thread until 5pm Monday. I'm deposited and ready to go at FSU (found an apartment and everything) and now I'm wondering whether I should go to UF.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:47 pm

If you guys aren't getting money from FSU, I really don't think it's close enough to consider unless you really like Tally a whole lot more.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Congratulations to those who just got in off the waitlist. Best of luck with whatever decision you make, but really, don't be fooled. FSU and UF are peer schools.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:Congratulations to those who just got in off the waitlist. Best of luck with whatever decision you make, but really, don't be fooled. FSU and UF are peer schools.

+1 and I see the gap closing/potentially swinging towards FSU in the future and I'm going to UF this Fall. At this time UF is slightly better but not by much and it isn't a huge huge margin.

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:40 pm

alicrimson wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:Congratulations to those who just got in off the waitlist. Best of luck with whatever decision you make, but really, don't be fooled. FSU and UF are peer schools.

+1 and I see the gap closing/potentially swinging towards FSU in the future and I'm going to UF this Fall. At this time UF is slightly better but not by much and it isn't a huge huge margin.

IMO, UF actually is better than FSU by a "huge huge margin."

But either way, congrats to all the WL offers! Hope you all make the obvious choice!

Here are some links to help you figure it out:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149459

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68397

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=126005

Edit: Also, finding a place to live at this time of the year is not a problem(or any other time of the year)! Gainesville has way to many apts, and you will find a great place if you look! Congrats again!

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:29 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

IMO, UF actually is better than FSU by a "huge huge margin."

But either way, congrats to all the WL offers! Hope you all make the obvious choice!

Here are some links to help you figure it out:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149459

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68397

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=126005

Edit: Also, finding a place to live at this time of the year is not a problem(or any other time of the year)! Gainesville has way to many apts, and you will find a great place if you look! Congrats again!

I think the correct answer, as is often the case, somewhere between these two opinions. I believe there to be a demonstrable difference between the schools; the combination of available salary data, larger alumni base, prestige, and my personal interactions throughout the legal field all tilt the correct choice towards being in UF's favor. It is why I, along with a number of others, gave up significant scholarships from FSU along with those that are jumping ship from Tallahassee upon getting off Florida's WL.

This doesn't mean going to FSU is wrong by any means. Cosby, I know you're gonna defend your school and your choice to death, and I wouldn't expect any less. Given the option of leaving school with less debt is a valid one and more than an acceptable choice IMO. The only place the two schools are nearly comparable is in the US News rankings, and we can all agree how silly those are.

UF students will always maintain there is a clear difference between the two. FSU students will argue it is next to negligible. Because of this, it will obviously be difficult to draw an objective conclusion getting advice from these two camps, so if you are truly uncertain perhaps turn to third parties. Its what I did, and proved to be a part of why I know I made the right choice attending UF. (This is directed at amarkonthedoor fwiw)

Aro5389

Postby Aro5389 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:47 pm

I forgot about the lottery :( (more like I'm working 55 hours and week and never have time to get online anymore)

amarkonthedoor

Postby amarkonthedoor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks FeelTheHeat. I read through the threads PleaseHelpThanks posted (thanks for those, by the way!) and although they were really informative, there was, like you said, so much to be said for each school that it didn't bring me any closer to making a decision. So I'll spend the weekend talking to as many third parties as I can, I guess, and hopefully make a good, informed decision when all's said and done.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:UF students will always maintain there is a clear difference between the two. FSU students will argue it is next to negligible.

For the record, I just graduated from UF, and I wouldn't maintain that it's necessarily "clear" that it's better to go to UF. It really depends on things such as what type of job the person wants after graduation, the debt load, etc. For many people, UF is the right choice, but it's not for a substantial number of people.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:04 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amarkonthedoor

Postby amarkonthedoor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 am

AJaKe wrote:
FWIW, I had to make that choice between FSU and UF. I haven't once in the two years since then been disappointed with my choice. I am regularly impressed by the quality of the professors and their concern for their students. I've been pleased with my fellow students and the atmosphere at the school. I'll be the first to say that Gainesville itself can be a bit lacking, but I've never felt I made the wrong decision by choosing UF. That said, it is very much an individual determination, taking into account what you want to do, and monetary concerns. I think one would be well-placed at either school, but in certain areas UF would be a better choice (e.g., if you are interested in tax lax) and in others FSU (their environmental law program is quite good).

Can you tell me more about the atmosphere? Why I ask: my HS Latin teacher's husband went to Levin (I want to say he graduated about 10 years ago now) and said the competition was ridiculous. So much so that he once asked a classmate/friend for notes when he missed a class, and was given a disc that supposedly had the notes on it--when really all it had was a virus that ended up crashing his entire system. Now, this was obviously an isolated incident, and I definitely don't think the majority of the students at UF would do something like that, but comparing a horror story like this to the much-touted laid back atmosphere of FSU has made the decision that much harder for me.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:51 am

And here I thought I was vicious putting Rebecca Black on the CDs I'm giving to anyone who asks for my outlines

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:01 am

AJaKe wrote:
FWIW, I had to make that choice between FSU and UF. I haven't once in the two years since then been disappointed with my choice. I am regularly impressed by the quality of the professors and their concern for their students. I've been pleased with my fellow students and the atmosphere at the school. I'll be the first to say that Gainesville itself can be a bit lacking, but I've never felt I made the wrong decision by choosing UF. That said, it is very much an individual determination, taking into account what you want to do, and monetary concerns. I think one would be well-placed at either school, but in certain areas UF would be a better choice (e.g., if you are interested in tax lax) and in others FSU (their environmental law program is quite good).

Oh, I'm certainly not disappointed with my choice either--I love UF! But as you stated, it's most important to help people decide on a case-by-case basis. For example, if you want to do government work, and FSU is giving you a substantial scholarship, it might be best to go to FSU (since it is the capital of Florida).

Also, FWIW, Gainesville isn't lacking to me, but I'm not from a "big city." I'm an outdoors and sports person, and it's one of the best places to live if you like those things. (However, I do wish that we were closer to beaches!) Tallahassee is very good for those things too, and it has more of a big-city feel.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:08 am

amarkonthedoor wrote:Can you tell me more about the atmosphere? Why I ask: my HS Latin teacher's husband went to Levin (I want to say he graduated about 10 years ago now) and said the competition was ridiculous. So much so that he once asked a classmate/friend for notes when he missed a class, and was given a disc that supposedly had the notes on it--when really all it had was a virus that ended up crashing his entire system. Now, this was obviously an isolated incident, and I definitely don't think the majority of the students at UF would do something like that, but comparing a horror story like this to the much-touted laid back atmosphere of FSU has made the decision that much harder for me.

First, let me stress again that I'm not a disgruntled UF'er. I really love the school, and I am one of the lucky ones who had good grades and found a job (that I really wanted).

The atmosphere is surprisingly very laid-back. When I first came to law school, I thought it would be more cut-throat. Don't get me wrong--you have your unfriendly people (all environments do, especially those full of type-A personalities!), but it's a fairly tight-knit community despite the size of the law school. People play on intramural teams together, tailgate at the football games, and even study together (I was in a fairly large study group during my 1L year.). Many of the professors are also very friendly--for example, one professor has a running group that runs every Friday during the semester. It was nice not only learning the law, but making good friends. It was a pleasant surprise!

However, as I'm sure happens at many schools, the library gets "kind of crazy" just before and during finals. People are stressed, naturally. All-in-all, though, the atmosphere is great.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:33 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
First, let me stress again that I'm not a disgruntled UF'er. I really love the school, and I am one of the lucky ones who had good grades and found a job (that I really wanted).

The atmosphere is surprisingly very laid-back. When I first came to law school, I thought it would be more cut-throat. Don't get me wrong--you have your unfriendly people (all environments do, especially those full of type-A personalities!), but it's a fairly tight-knit community despite the size of the law school. People play on intramural teams together, tailgate at the football games, and even study together (I was in a fairly large study group during my 1L year.). Many of the professors are also very friendly--for example, one professor has a running group that runs every Friday during the semester. It was nice not only learning the law, but making good friends. It was a pleasant surprise!

However, as I'm sure happens at many schools, the library gets "kind of crazy" just before and during finals. People are stressed, naturally. All-in-all, though, the atmosphere is great.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I found my first year to be very laid back and enjoyable. The only negative I encountered was someone hiding a supplement in the library two days before the exam. However, I think that's more the exception than the rule.

If you come to town and want to see the campus PM me. I'm here all weekend and would have no problem showing you around and answering any questions you might have.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Moose Thompson wrote: The only negative I encountered was someone hiding a supplement in the library two days before the exam. However, I think that's more the exception than the rule.

I can confirm that this does happen, but it's indeed the exception rather than the rule.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:57 pm

AJaKe wrote: Of course, I am outside of that top 10%, I can admit that flat out, so it may be different when you are in that bracket, but I've never met anybody (including those in the top bracket) who has encountered that type of attitude.

Even in that bracket, it's competitive, but in a friendly manner. Most of them are friends with one another.

AJaKe wrote:
Edit: I will say that about 2 weeks before exams, all bets are off. People are still, generally, nice and helpful, but the stress does change things. I've never had anyone snap at me, personally, but if you start talking or constantly texting in the library you can just feel the waves of hate being sent in your direction.

True, but I find that most of the people causing problems are the undergraduates who come to the library to study and are used to the "club atmosphere" at Library West (which is known as "Club West," no joke....). Most law students are very respectful of others' studying.

amarkonthedoor

Postby amarkonthedoor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:04 pm

What you guys have described seems like the kind of stuff I can handle...I really, really appreciate everyone's input, by the way. This forum has done more than you know to rid me of the bad taste in my mouth left by my Latin teacher's story :)

I actually made a day trip to Gainesville today (didn't see your offer in time, Moose, but I wish I had, and thank you!!), and although the campus was totally dead, a really nice groundskeeper (?) named Robert was nice enough to let me into a few locked places. Really impressive campus, especially the library and the new courtroom. I've got to say that at this point in time, I'm leaning toward Levin. Thanks again for your honesty, guys!!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:17 pm

I don't have time to read all the responses (you guys were so chatty this weekend ;) ) but a LOT of us going to UF chose UF over $$$/$$ at FSU. Theres a reason for it. Although the rankings are extremely close to one another, the differences in prestige just speaking with lawyers across Florida is freakin' huge. If I hadn't received a nice scholly from FSU it wouldn't have even been a contender against UF in my mind. It won't be hard to start from scratch now.. you still have plenty of time to find a place. Plus, you're on TLS so you have all of us awesome UF TLSers to hang with upon arrival (okay, I'm biased, but BarbieQs arent persuasive anymore?).

I trust you will all make the right choice :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:47 am

Prestige is only relevant if it matters to you. Deep down, I like to know I go to the best school in the state, so it played more of a part than I would have preferred it to. But not enough to give up 20k. My decision was, ironically, a financial one (and a bit because of my lady friend, too). USNews is full of shit. We all know that. But while UF and FSU grads are getting the same percentage of jobs, the salary statistics available from both our friend Morse and LawSchoolTransparency indicate that UF students get the better jobs. I like to say I made the right choice, but we'll see when I have a job and that first student loan bill comes in.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:09 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Prestige is only relevant if it matters to you. Deep down, I like to know I go to the best school in the state, so it played more of a part than I would have preferred it to. But not enough to give up 20k. My decision was, ironically, a financial one (and a bit because of my lady friend, too). USNews is full of shit. We all know that. But while UF and FSU grads are getting the same percentage of jobs, the salary statistics available from both our friend Morse and LawSchoolTransparency indicate that UF students get the better jobs. I like to say I made the right choice, but we'll see when I have a job and that first student loan bill comes in.

....What? Prestige isn't just reputation.... prestige is admiration and respect derived from being of HIGH QUALITY and acheivement. Outside of rank/grades and networking, prestige has everything to do with landing a job. If the prestige of a law school simply does not matter to someone... they doin' it wrong.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:22 pm

I get what you are saying, I just think it's a silly factor to consider, even though I admittedly did so to a small degree. The number of OCIs, graduates employed, and their salaries are FAR more relevant than some intangible "prestige". I get that it makes sense that the more "prestigious" school would be more likely to get us a job, but then the numbers would reflect that. The UF/FSU numbers, twisted as they may be, show the same percentage of graduates GETTING jobs. The salary discrepancy is pretty substantial, however, and while that may be because of "prestige", I would argue that more UF grads go to the more profitable private sector as opposed to FSU ones in the public one.

Frankly, though, I could care less about the causal effect. I want to make money, I chose UF.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:26 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I get what you are saying, I just think it's a silly factor to consider, even though I admittedly did so to a small degree. The number of OCIs, graduates employed, and their salaries are FAR more relevant than some intangible "prestige". I get that it makes sense that the more "prestigious" school would be more likely to get us a job, but then the numbers would reflect that. The UF/FSU numbers, twisted as they may be, show the same percentage of graduates GETTING jobs. The salary discrepancy is pretty substantial, however, and while that may be because of "prestige", I would argue that more UF grads go to the more profitable private sector as opposed to FSU ones in the public one.

Frankly, though, I could care less about the causal effect. I want to make money, I chose UF.

Goft took me to some ballin' lawyer event in Jax this past weekend that had all the top firms and their SAs. Everyone I encountered was a UF grad. Not a single FSU grad. hnbuweirnfewureiwurisbfusbifPRESTIGEhusbfisbfiusfbuesi

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”