U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ns77770

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Barbie wrote:I'm calling to have a mild meltdown on Tuesday. I'm still at incomplete. I'd really like to know my financial situation so I can make arrangements. :evil:

Also, where can I find a list of things we are supposed to do? Like, how did some of you know to send photos for our UFID? Is there a webpage that tells us everything? If it was in an email I didn't get it- I've pretty much never received an email from UF that wasn't only addressed to me.

I'm pretty sure this is the thing you're looking for

--LinkRemoved--

mcecilia2489

Postby mcecilia2489 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:18 am

dukivich10 wrote:I posted this in the FSU forum but it def. applies in here too. I called the UF office to try to get some info out of the about the waitlist. She said they offered about 500 waitlist spots, and historically about half decide to stay on. Last year about 90 kids were accepted off the waitlist. I was pleasantly surprised by this info.

Just got accepted off of the waitlist May 20th! Emailed the dean the week before about wanting to set up a meeting and got an e-mail a week later asking if I would be prepared to commit if I were offered acceptance. Two days after that I received an acceptance letter and I never even met with the Dean! Good luck to all those still waiting! Be proactive!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon May 30, 2011 2:19 pm

mcecilia2489 wrote:
dukivich10 wrote:I posted this in the FSU forum but it def. applies in here too. I called the UF office to try to get some info out of the about the waitlist. She said they offered about 500 waitlist spots, and historically about half decide to stay on. Last year about 90 kids were accepted off the waitlist. I was pleasantly surprised by this info.

Just got accepted off of the waitlist May 20th! Emailed the dean the week before about wanting to set up a meeting and got an e-mail a week later asking if I would be prepared to commit if I were offered acceptance. Two days after that I received an acceptance letter and I never even met with the Dean! Good luck to all those still waiting! Be proactive!

So,.. you gonna be a GATOR? :)

mcecilia2489

Postby mcecilia2489 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:21 pm

dukivich10 wrote: So,.. you gonna be a GATOR? :)

Yes I am!!! :D :D

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 pm

Just found my place that's a 100 yard walk from school. Hopefully if makes up for the 45 minute drives I've made to my undergrad the last 5 years.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Random question: What is the parking situation at the law school? The parking lot seemed small, so I'm guessing parking is terrible?

Light

Postby Light » Mon May 30, 2011 7:27 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote: I'll answer that. Always go to the T14 short of a full ride. Even if the difference between UF and them is negligible with regards to Florida's best law firms, the T14 will give you substantially better fall back options should things not work out.

Agreed for the most part that one should go to the T14, but it depends on how much the person will owe at the T14 relative to what that person will owe going to UF. Light just mentioned he would pay sticker at G-Town--my guess is he would owe at least 120k or so going there (but I don't know, so correct me if I'm wrong).

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Gator Student, would you say (in your experience) that attending UF gave you and discernible advantage towards finding jobs in the state?

In my experience, I would say so. Many lawyers (and judges) are biased towards UF. But federal judges and top firms love T14 students too (especially federal judges).

Yeah that's true - the living costs plus tuition is 68k a year at Georgetown. Extremely expensive when compared to the fact that I'm a Florida resident and have 36k from UF. My parents could afford the remainder and I wouldn't be in debt. The trade-off though is potentially a smaller amount of opportunities, I guess. Although, I'm probably more likely to graduate in the top 25% or so at UF than at G-town..not sure how much that's worth and that's hard to predict with just LSAT/GPA.

Tomorrow or so I am going to call UF and ask about their specific employment data and also try calling some big firms in Florida to ask who they prefer to hire from or if it makes a difference, etc. Anyone done this before?

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon May 30, 2011 7:31 pm

I registered for the football lottery today! :D

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Mon May 30, 2011 7:42 pm

ns77770 wrote:Random question: What is the parking situation at the law school? The parking lot seemed small, so I'm guessing parking is terrible?

Parking used to be bad during the day unless you had an "early" class (i.e., a class that began at 8:30 or 9:00am, which is the time when 1L's tended to have class). However, since they cut down the entering class size from 400 to 300 (my class was the last class to have 400 entering), it's gotten better every year and really isn't too bad. Since my class will now be gone, there'll be even fewer cars. This past semester, it was only rough to find parking one or two days a week during the day. However, even then, you can find parking if you're willing to look for it (there is parking on both hills--the frat row parking is commuter/green parking, and so is the Village Drive hill parking). Of course, you have to walk, but most of us can use some (mild) exercise!

Light

Postby Light » Tue May 31, 2011 6:11 pm

Just did some more phone research. The employment data wasn't available online because they are supposedly waiting for the 2010 data to be looked at by the NALP in June and so they took down the 2009 one. However, I don't recall seeing the 09 data there either and have checked before. Seems like an awful inconvenient time to take down data but whatever. Here's my breakdown on what was reported.

99.5% of people who are seeking employment are employed by 9 months after Graduation. About 89.5 percent of these people are employed in jobs that require a JD. About 7.5% of the 99.5% are being paid by UF in post-graduate fellowships for 3 months. Half of those people last year went to on to get regular employment. (Seems convenient that the people in the fellowship that didn't get employed after don't count towards the employed after 9 months criteria - though I was told it was because the USNEWS criteria doesn't correspond with the fiscal year).

50.9% of those employed are in the Private Sector. the 25th percentile salary is $30,000. The Median is $97,500. The 75th percentile is $160,000.

15.5% of those employed are grouped in Public interest and Academia (including UF's fellowships). The salary info wasn't available.

Judicial Clerkships make up 5% of the placement.

The data is based on surveys where I was assured all the class was taken into account with only 1 unknown status.

I'm a little confused because those percentages don't appear to add up to 100%, I just noticed.

If anyone wants to confirm this they can call the CCD also, the number is 352-273-0860.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Tue May 31, 2011 7:25 pm

Light wrote:
Yeah that's true - the living costs plus tuition is 68k a year at Georgetown. Extremely expensive when compared to the fact that I'm a Florida resident and have 36k from UF. My parents could afford the remainder and I wouldn't be in debt. The trade-off though is potentially a smaller amount of opportunities, I guess. Although, I'm probably more likely to graduate in the top 25% or so at UF than at G-town..not sure how much that's worth and that's hard to predict with just LSAT/GPA.

Tomorrow or so I am going to call UF and ask about their specific employment data and also try calling some big firms in Florida to ask who they prefer to hire from or if it makes a difference, etc. Anyone done this before?

Wow, that's a TON of debt--personally, I couldn't justify going to G-Town if I had to take on that much debt in this economy.

I would recommend going on Martindale and seeing where attorneys went to law school. It's not scientific, but it'll give you a rough snapshot.

Light

Postby Light » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
Light wrote:

Wow, that's a TON of debt--personally, I couldn't justify going to G-Town if I had to take on that much debt in this economy.

I would recommend going on Martindale and seeing where attorneys went to law school. It's not scientific, but it'll give you a rough snapshot.

Yeah, it's a lot of debt - I just posted in the "Choosing a law school" section so I don't clutter up this thread anymore :P. And thanks, I will check it out.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Light wrote:
Yeah, it's a lot of debt - I just posted in the "Choosing a law school" section so I don't clutter up this thread anymore :P. And thanks, I will check it out.

I wish you the best of luck. If you have any questions about UF, feel free to PM me. I'll try to help you as best as I can!

seancris

Postby seancris » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Light wrote:Just did some more phone research. The employment data wasn't available online because they are supposedly waiting for the 2010 data to be looked at by the NALP in June and so they took down the 2009 one. However, I don't recall seeing the 09 data there either and have checked before. Seems like an awful inconvenient time to take down data but whatever. Here's my breakdown on what was reported.

99.5% of people who are seeking employment are employed by 9 months after Graduation. About 89.5 percent of these people are employed in jobs that require a JD. About 7.5% of the 99.5% are being paid by UF in post-graduate fellowships for 3 months. Half of those people last year went to on to get regular employment. (Seems convenient that the people in the fellowship that didn't get employed after don't count towards the employed after 9 months criteria - though I was told it was because the USNEWS criteria doesn't correspond with the fiscal year).

50.9% of those employed are in the Private Sector. the 25th percentile salary is $30,000. The Median is $97,500. The 75th percentile is $160,000.

15.5% of those employed are grouped in Public interest and Academia (including UF's fellowships). The salary info wasn't available.

Judicial Clerkships make up 5% of the placement.

The data is based on surveys where I was assured all the class was taken into account with only 1 unknown status.

I'm a little confused because those percentages don't appear to add up to 100%, I just noticed.

If anyone wants to confirm this they can call the CCD also, the number is 352-273-0860.

This is going to be an unscientific criticism but law schools misrepresent the data in every imaginable way. Generally the employment data will be based only upon graduates who voluntarily responded to the survey, and anyone who does not respond does not count towards the percentages. Considering that people who are unemployed may be significantly less likely to respond, the data may be inaccurate in this respect. Also, the employment figures do not diferentiate between graduates who employed full-time or part-time or per diem.

And that figure about median salary for private sector grads being 95k a year is just BS IMO. No chance. I would estimate 45-50 max for the median. This is Florida, and grads from higher ranked schools in areas with a much higher COL are making significantly less. Again, this is not a scientific criticism but I tend to know BS when I see it.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 pm

On hold trying to get in the student ticket lottery - the holding music is a series of sound clips from famous gator victories :mrgreen:

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:38 pm

seancris wrote:And that figure about median salary for private sector grads being 95k a year is just BS IMO. No chance. I would estimate 45-50 max for the median. This is Florida, and grads from higher ranked schools in areas with a much higher COL are making significantly less. Again, this is not a scientific criticism but I tend to know BS when I see it.

Agreed. There's no way it's 95k. I'd say it's around 45-60k. IIRC, when I first entered, the median for private firm jobs was 60k, and that was when the economy was good.

I will say, though, that the 5% figure for clerkships is spot-on.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:00 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:On hold trying to get in the student ticket lottery - the holding music is a series of sound clips from famous gator victories :mrgreen:

Did they not let you do it online?

Light

Postby Light » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:32 pm

I'm pretty skeptical of the median (97k) and 75th percentile figure (160k) as well. I am aware of the employment status boosting tricks you've mentioned. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask about full time vs part time. Recall I mentioned that 10% of those jobs do not require a JD - the lady said honestly those jobs could be at McDonalds but they don't know. I did however specifically ask how many people responded to their surveys. They assured me that everyone in the graduating class except one person was taken into account. While these stats aren't great, they are better than what I thought and what the TLS reported for 2008...though despite warranted skepticism I'm hesitant to think they are outright lying.

But I posted the number up there - do call them and ask also.

GatorStudent - Thank you for your help also.

amarkonthedoor

Postby amarkonthedoor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:08 pm

in off the waitlist this morning...no idea what to do!

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amarkonthedoor

Postby amarkonthedoor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:03 pm

AJaKe wrote:
amarkonthedoor wrote:in off the waitlist this morning...no idea what to do!

What is your other option?

FSU, with a good roommate situation already figured out (although I haven't been added to the lease yet--my roommate would be a recent Georgetown grad working as an environmental lawyer in Tally, which is pretty cool). I haven't done any legwork in Gville for housing or anything; I'd really be starting from scratch there. I have till Monday evening to commit to UF. Any advice would be really helpful...I know others have been in this position before, too, so I'll do some thread searching in the meantime.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:05 pm

Can you visit Gainesville by Monday?

Have you been go Gainesville before?

Unless you have a burning desire to be in Tally or not be in Gville, UF is, in my opinion, the right choice.

amarkonthedoor

Postby amarkonthedoor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:14 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Can you visit Gainesville by Monday?

I could go tomorrow. Should I just walk around campus and maybe try to talk to the people I see there? Wish I had time to do a real tour..

I could go tomorrow. Should I just walk around campus and maybe try to talk to the people I see there? Wish I had time to do a real tour..

Have you been go Gainesville before?

Unless you have a burning desire to be in Tally or not be in Gville, UF is, in my opinion, the right choice.

Not for a couple years, although I was born there :P and my dad is a Levin grad. I don't feel strongly about either city, so that's part of the problem.
Last edited by amarkonthedoor on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:15 pm

amarkonthedoor wrote:
AJaKe wrote:
amarkonthedoor wrote:in off the waitlist this morning...no idea what to do!

What is your other option?

FSU, with a good roommate situation already figured out (although I haven't been added to the lease yet--my roommate would be a recent Georgetown grad working as an environmental lawyer in Tally, which is pretty cool). I haven't done any legwork in Gville for housing or anything; I'd really be starting from scratch there. I have till Monday evening to commit to UF. Any advice would be really helpful...I know others have been in this position before, too, so I'll do some thread searching in the meantime.

Damn you got accepted today and they only give you till Monday to decide? Anyway congrats on your options and good luck with your decision.

Edit: You said you might visit tomorrow but it's Saturday so idk if it will be totally dead (with nobody to talk to)

amarkonthedoor

Postby amarkonthedoor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:19 pm

ns77770 wrote:Damn you got accepted today and they only give you till Monday to decide? Anyway congrats on your options and good luck with your decision.

Edit: You said you might visit tomorrow but it's Saturday so idk if it will be totally dead (with nobody to talk to)

Thanks! and yeah, the deadline really really sucks. I'm wondering if there's any point in visiting at all, it being summer and the weekend and all, as much as I'd hate blindly deciding one way or the other. I did like FSU (went to an ASD there) but I have no basis for comparison having never visited UF.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”