U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seancris

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby seancris » Thu May 26, 2011 1:27 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
seancris wrote:Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say congrats to all who were accepted in last year's admissions cycle! I'm sure you're all very excited about fall. =)

I'll be applying for Fall 2012 and I just wanted to ask you guys a few questions.

I've got a 4.0 and my PTs are typically in the 165-170 range, but you never know what will happen on test day which is June 6th for me. My first question is simply: what kind of chances would an applicant have with a 160 and 4.0 (not URM)? Would this kind of LSAT score be likely to result in a waitlist or worse? What kind of an LSAT score would be likely to result in an early acceptance and some kind of scholarship offer, given my GPA? Also, if I decided to retest in October would that have any significant complications for my application?

Take the test till you get a 170. You obviously can given the quality of your PTs. Enjoy Colombia, Chicago, or NYU. Congrats on a great GPA.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm still wondering about the questions that I asked though, so let me know if you've got any insight you'd like to share. 8)

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:54 pm

seancris wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
seancris wrote:Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say congrats to all who were accepted in last year's admissions cycle! I'm sure you're all very excited about fall. =)

I'll be applying for Fall 2012 and I just wanted to ask you guys a few questions.

I've got a 4.0 and my PTs are typically in the 165-170 range, but you never know what will happen on test day which is June 6th for me. My first question is simply: what kind of chances would an applicant have with a 160 and 4.0 (not URM)? Would this kind of LSAT score be likely to result in a waitlist or worse? What kind of an LSAT score would be likely to result in an early acceptance and some kind of scholarship offer, given my GPA? Also, if I decided to retest in October would that have any significant complications for my application?

Take the test till you get a 170. You obviously can given the quality of your PTs. Enjoy Colombia, Chicago, or NYU. Congrats on a great GPA.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm still wondering about the questions that I asked though, so let me know if you've got any insight you'd like to share. 8)

Alright, so I'm no expert, but I got into UF with a 160 and a 3.7 no problem. I was lazy and sent in my app late February and was accepted 2 weeks later. I am definitely not a URM, so I'd say someone with a 160 and a 4.0 would get into UF no problem. As far as scholarships go, I can't really say because I applied so late and just got a 1st year grant for being a poor college student. :-) Good luck though, you sound like you are on the right track to some great schools. Oh yeah, the October LSAT is no big deal, most schools accept the February one as the latest and I'm pretty sure all accept the October one.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu May 26, 2011 1:57 pm

flgator727 wrote: Oh and most importantly, count me in on all future TLS ragers haha!!

Thats what I like to see! :)

Seancris- 160/4.0 would pretty much guarantee acceptance to UF (numbers wise, of course.. don't write a PS about how much you like garnet and gold) and anything above that would just increase your chances of $. 164+ and you should be looking at some of the higher amounts UF gives out. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems UF does not give full rides. You'll have a lot lot lot of options though so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

haoledugan

Postby haoledugan » Thu May 26, 2011 9:37 pm

If anyone wants to buy one of these cups, please let me know by PM'ing me with your name (first name and last initial) and quantity you'd like to order. I'll be in Gainesville late August, early July. PRICE is $10/mug. You can also reply on the UF Law 2014 facebook group page. See you guys soon!!!!
Adam

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri May 27, 2011 8:34 am

thewarflamingo wrote:I signed a lease today and I'm so excited to move in August! I've had a great week in Gainesville and I'm really sad to be leaving tomorrow. :(

Would anyone be interested in class of 2014 shirts? If there's enough interest, then I'll try to come up with a design.

One of my best friends might be getting a shirt press for her graduation gift and if so, I'll be making like 20 shirts for myself haha. She's giving me unlimited use of it as long as I model the ones she makes for her! Once I make my "prose over hoes" t shirt, its open game for UF designs lol

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:39 am

Barbie wrote:Perez confirms: Florida (the state) sucks!!!

http://perezhilton.com/2011-05-24-top-t ... ob-seekers

So to counteract the fact that it's impossible to get a job in Florida, at least Gainesville residents read a ton!

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2011/05/wh ... he-us.html

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri May 27, 2011 10:02 am

Anyone who is also sick in bed and/or wants to watch some Florida legal drama:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/videobet ... thony-live

prettyinpink02

Postby prettyinpink02 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:05 am

Barbie wrote:Anyone who is also sick in bed and/or wants to watch some Florida legal drama:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/videobet ... thony-live

Hahaha I love you!

Light

Postby Light » Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Quick question: Has anyone been able to find the employment statistics for 2009 or 2010? I can't find it posted on their website and would prefer an official source..just wanted to make sure I'm not stupid before I called them.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat May 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Light wrote:Quick question: Has anyone been able to find the employment statistics for 2009 or 2010? I can't find it posted on their website and would prefer an official source..just wanted to make sure I'm not stupid before I called them.

Heck, I just graduated, and I don't even know where they are! I'm sure some other TLS'er knows, though. If I see them, I'll pass them along.

I will warn you--the legal economy is brutal in FL, even if you go to UF. Make sure to figure out (as best as you can) what type of law you want to do, and make connections early. While it's certainly not a foolproof way to be employed during and after graduation, it's helped many people land jobs.

Light

Postby Light » Sat May 28, 2011 10:06 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
Light wrote:Quick question: Has anyone been able to find the employment statistics for 2009 or 2010? I can't find it posted on their website and would prefer an official source..just wanted to make sure I'm not stupid before I called them.

Heck, I just graduated, and I don't even know where they are! I'm sure some other TLS'er knows, though. If I see them, I'll pass them along.

I will warn you--the legal economy is brutal in FL, even if you go to UF. Make sure to figure out (as best as you can) what type of law you want to do, and make connections early. While it's certainly not a foolproof way to be employed during and after graduation, it's helped many people land jobs.

Yeah I understand, how is your employment going and was the career services at UF helpful? Also, do you think going to UF is best if you want to make it into one of the few big firms in Florida - or is it better to go somewhere in the T-14?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat May 28, 2011 10:15 pm

I'll answer that. Always go to the T14 short of a full ride. Even if the difference between UF and them is negligible with regards to Florida's best law firms, the T14 will give you substantially better fall back options should things not work out.

Gator Student, would you say (in your experience) that attending UF gave you and discernible advantage towards finding jobs in the state?

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Sat May 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Light

Postby Light » Sat May 28, 2011 10:44 pm

FeeltheHeat - Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, the decision is hard for financial reasons. I've got 36k at UF and I have to take Georgetown at sticker - plus the high living cost in DC.

Ajake - That sucks :\ What about the OCI's? Are they plentiful at UF or do you know people who have gotten good employement through them?

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Sat May 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat May 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Hey friends! I'm an idiot. What is the website for the football tix again? I'm pretty sure I missed the deadline to fax my marriage certificate... bummmmuhhhh...

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Sun May 29, 2011 12:04 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun May 29, 2011 12:16 am

AJaKe wrote:
Barbie wrote:Hey friends! I'm an idiot. What is the website for the football tix again? I'm pretty sure I missed the deadline to fax my marriage certificate... bummmmuhhhh...

http://www.gatorzone.com/tickets/students/

I think.

Thanks! I definitely missed the deadline. I'm such a bum!! :(

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:18 am

Barbie wrote:
AJaKe wrote:
Barbie wrote:Hey friends! I'm an idiot. What is the website for the football tix again? I'm pretty sure I missed the deadline to fax my marriage certificate... bummmmuhhhh...

I think.

It's too late to apply for tickets? Or does the marriage certificate have a different deadline?

Edit: I looked it up, and in case anybody's wondering, the tix deadline is not until early next month (which I am very happy about).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun May 29, 2011 12:28 am

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
AJaKe wrote:

I think.

It's too late to apply for tickets? Or does the marriage certificate have a different deadline?

Edit: I looked it up, and in case anybody's wondering, the tix deadline is not until early next month (which I am very happy about).

Yeah, I just missed out on getting my husband's ticket. Now he needs to get a job at UF so they can hopefully give him some perks :)

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sun May 29, 2011 9:29 am

FeelTheHeat wrote: I'll answer that. Always go to the T14 short of a full ride. Even if the difference between UF and them is negligible with regards to Florida's best law firms, the T14 will give you substantially better fall back options should things not work out.

Agreed for the most part that one should go to the T14, but it depends on how much the person will owe at the T14 relative to what that person will owe going to UF. Light just mentioned he would pay sticker at G-Town--my guess is he would owe at least 120k or so going there (but I don't know, so correct me if I'm wrong).

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Gator Student, would you say (in your experience) that attending UF gave you and discernible advantage towards finding jobs in the state?

In my experience, I would say so. Many lawyers (and judges) are biased towards UF. But federal judges and top firms love T14 students too (especially federal judges).

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 am

Light wrote:Yeah I understand, how is your employment going and was the career services at UF helpful? Also, do you think going to UF is best if you want to make it into one of the few big firms in Florida - or is it better to go somewhere in the T-14?

CCD is ok. While I know many people will rag on them (and it does indeed deserve criticism), my criticism is a little less harsh. A big problem for CCD is that we're located in Gainesville--and firms do NOT want to waste time (and ultimately money) coming up here for OCI, meet-and-greet functions, etc. Our OCI has been pathetic the last few years. I would NOT recommend anyone relying upon OCI, but rather networking.

With that being said, it has its problems. For example, it hasn't been until recently that they have tried getting contact information from 3L's so they can connect with future graduates.

As someone mentioned earlier, they're ok re: resume-checking and what-not, but it's better to ask a professor you know and trust (and you should develop relationships with professors anyway to get good letters or recommendation/references!), along with your peers.

Re: my employment, I'm one of the lucky ones that found a job (and one that I like). While I have very good grades, I networked, and I was involved in organizations, I realize that a lot of it was luck too. That's why I stress how bad it is out there--even if you "do everything right," you may be left stranded. :?

ma586307

Postby ma586307 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Long time observer of this thread, fist time poster...Has everyone been able to register for the student ticket lottery on gatorzone? I tried to do so using the email address listed on my application, as I do not have a gator webmail account yet. A message came up detailing that the email address does not match any of those in the directory. Any advice?

Is gator webmail something that has to be established for you? Or can we go ahead and set this up?

Thank you, and congratulations to everyone.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun May 29, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm calling to have a mild meltdown on Tuesday. I'm still at incomplete. I'd really like to know my financial situation so I can make arrangements. :evil:

Also, where can I find a list of things we are supposed to do? Like, how did some of you know to send photos for our UFID? Is there a webpage that tells us everything? If it was in an email I didn't get it- I've pretty much never received an email from UF that wasn't only addressed to me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”