U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FortuneFavorsTheBold

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Wed May 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Barbie wrote:Does anyone know if the admissions office/financial aid office are opened during the same hours, etc over summer? As in, will I still be able to call and stalk them throughout these months since I am still, and plan on being for a while, incomplete :(.

not sure about this week specifically, but i know as soon as Summer A starts this monday, yea u'll be fine.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed May 04, 2011 7:18 pm

FINALLY submitted my seat deposit :) Any current students that were at UF for UG know if they still need copies of our transcripts? I would think they already have access to them since it's the same school...

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed May 04, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm ready to make my seat deposit! $12,000 sealed the deal for me.

gpjc28

Postby gpjc28 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:29 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:FINALLY submitted my seat deposit :) Any current students that were at UF for UG know if they still need copies of our transcripts? I would think they already have access to them since it's the same school...

The checklist says only non-UF graduating students need submit your submit final transcripts so I think we're good!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed May 04, 2011 9:11 pm

gpjc28 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:FINALLY submitted my seat deposit :) Any current students that were at UF for UG know if they still need copies of our transcripts? I would think they already have access to them since it's the same school...

The checklist says only non-UF graduating students need submit your submit final transcripts so I think we're good!

woo! Thanks. I can't read.

Light

Postby Light » Thu May 05, 2011 10:34 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
Light wrote:She said 25%. And of those who have aid, 15% will lose it after the first year.

Thank you for posting this! I was actually going to call tomorrow to ask about scholarship retention, so I'm glad you posted the info here.

No problem.

Barbie wrote:Not to discredit your research at all, but anyone who gets a scholarship with a stipulation surely considers this automatically... I'm pretty sure everyone who has made it this far academically realizes the risk, at least.

Unfortunately, a great many people who have made it far academically actually don't consider this fully. I didn't. Enough people don't to where an article in the NY times about it is actually big news, I suppose. Moreover, I am wondering how you fully realized the risk of your scholarship without knowing how many people are offered the scholarship (or how many lose it)? That information is among the most relevant and not posted on their website and I don't believe it's on the scholarship offer. The curve (at least the mean) is on the site somewhere. The only thing on the scholarship offer letter is the GPA you need to retain it - which is completely useless info without knowing the curve and how many others have $$$.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:02 am

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 am

Light wrote:
Barbie wrote:Not to discredit your research at all, but anyone who gets a scholarship with a stipulation surely considers this automatically... I'm pretty sure everyone who has made it this far academically realizes the risk, at least.

Unfortunately, a great many people who have made it far academically actually don't consider this fully. I didn't. Enough people don't to where an article in the NY times about it is actually big news, I suppose. Moreover, I am wondering how you fully realized the risk of your scholarship without knowing how many people are offered the scholarship (or how many lose it)? That information is among the most relevant and not posted on their website and I don't believe it's on the scholarship offer. The curve (at least the mean) is on the site somewhere. The only thing on the scholarship offer letter is the GPA you need to retain it - which is completely useless info without knowing the curve and how many others have $$$.

(I am confused by how you say 15% WILL lose the aid since the GPA stipulation and percentage of people who receive it means that no required amount of people would lose it... and I don't see how that is possible given the numbers and will assume from here on out that 15% have typically lost it in the past)

25% receive merit aid. If the GPA stipulation is around 3.0 or 3.2, which I expect it to be, is it not true that on any given year NO one could lose their scholarship? It is obviously extremely unlikely, and as you found out 15% probably typically do,.. but since at least 60% of the class could be above 3.0 and only 25% of them could lose anything...? Similarly, they ALL could essentially lose it. So, with the information you provided, aren't you essentially left with the exact same idea that you had before it: This is the GPA I need to get to keep my scholarship. There is a (place required GPA on the curve) __% overall chance that I will lose this scholarship. I guess for me (not that it matters for me), knowing that in the past 15% of people lost their scholarship doesn't really make a difference.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am

Barbie wrote:
Light wrote:

(I am confused by how you say 15% WILL lose the aid since the GPA stipulation and percentage of people who receive it means that no required amount of people would lose it... and I don't see how that is possible given the numbers and will assume from here on out that 15% have typically lost it in the past)

25% receive merit aid. If the GPA stipulation is around 3.0 or 3.2, which I expect it to be, is it not true that on any given year NO one could lose their scholarship? It is obviously extremely unlikely, and as you found out 15% probably typically do,.. but since at least 60% of the class could be above 3.0 and only 25% of them could lose anything...? Similarly, they ALL could essentially lose it. So, with the information you provided, aren't you essentially left with the exact same idea that you had before it: This is the GPA I need to get to keep my scholarship. There is a (place required GPA on the curve) __% overall chance that I will lose this scholarship. I guess for me (not that it matters for me), knowing that in the past 15% of people lost their scholarship doesn't really make a difference.

Just for the record, the GPA stipulation is a 3.2 which could be slightly above median. But continue...

Oh and knowing the % that loses their scholarship could, but not necessarily, indicate whether a school section stacks scholarship recipients.
300 total students * 0.25 (% with scholarships) = 75 people with scholarships
75 * 0.15 (% that have lost in past which is not indicative of future retention) = ~11 people lost scholarships
If there are 100 people sections, and more than 50 scholarship people are in one section, then people are bound to lose.
HOWEVER, I think 15% is such a small percentage that it is unlikely that UF section stacks very heavily or at all. At least we know that in the past they haven't put 100% of scholarship recipients in ONE section which is comforting.

When grades come out for current 1Ls, I will follow up with admissions to get the new percentages of scholarship retention for further comparison.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu May 05, 2011 11:52 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Light wrote:

Just for the record, the GPA stipulation is a 3.2 which could be slightly above median. But continue...

Oh and knowing the % that loses their scholarship could, but not necessarily, indicate whether a school section stacks scholarship recipients.
300 total students * 0.25 (% with scholarships) = 75 people with scholarships
75 * 0.15 (% that have lost in past which is not indicative of future retention) = ~11 people lost scholarships
If there are 100 people sections, and more than 50 scholarship people are in one section, then people are bound to lose.
HOWEVER, I think 15% is such a small percentage that it is unlikely that UF section stacks very heavily or at all. At least we know that in the past they haven't put 100% of scholarship recipients in ONE section which is comforting.

When grades come out for current 1Ls, I will follow up with admissions to get the new percentages of scholarship retention for further comparison.

I have done a little side research and have concluded they do not section stack. At least, not to a point where it would be clear/obvious/have a drastic impact on scholarship retention.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 am

Barbie wrote:I have done a little side research and have concluded they do not section stack. At least, not to a point where it would be clear/obvious/have a drastic impact on scholarship retention.

lol that's exactly what my post concluded. What side research did you do?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu May 05, 2011 12:00 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:I have done a little side research and have concluded they do not section stack. At least, not to a point where it would be clear/obvious/have a drastic impact on scholarship retention.

Stalking and questioning, my 2 favorite tactics.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu May 05, 2011 12:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

Stalking and questioning, my 2 favorite tactics.

psh my analysis is way more accurate and reliable. :wink:

Light

Postby Light » Thu May 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Barbie wrote:
Light wrote:

Yes I'm sorry I misspoke earlier - I meant to say 15% typically lose it every year. Like I said, even given the GPA and the mean it seems you would still need the percent of people given scholarships in order to get a good estimate of your offer's worth. So my question was how did you know 25% of people got scholarships before I mentioned it? Was it on the website somewhere? I didn't see it and had to call them for it, yet you said everyone researches this stuff. As of now, the ABA doesn't even require law schools to report it and their reasoning was they hadn't even thought of it.

I should also add, the statistic of what percent lose aid is useful because it can tell you if section stacking occurs at the school (or can give you an indication). I believe this is when sections are made to include (deliberately) many scholarship owners so they can compete against each other and the school can dish out less cash.

85 percent is a good scholarship retention I guess - my only point was that it was worth investigating.

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Fri May 06, 2011 1:13 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:I'm ready to make my seat deposit! $12,000 sealed the deal for me.

are you OOS or in state?

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Fri May 06, 2011 1:14 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:I'm ready to make my seat deposit! $12,000 sealed the deal for me.

are you OOS or in state?

OOS. It makes it in-state since I own a laptop and don't need some of the other things included in the expenses.

g-children

Postby g-children » Fri May 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Light wrote:Did anyone see that article in the NY Times recently about law schools offering more grants than it is statistically possible to maintain for 3 years? In other words, due to the curved grading and the specific GPA requirement to maintain your aid, many people will for sure lose their aid.

I did some research and the curve at UF says the GPA must be a mean between 3.15-3.25 or something. There was no median given. I called the financial aid office and inquired about what percent of students are given merit aid. She said 25%. And of those who have aid, 15% will lose it after the first year.

It's important to for people to research how good their merit awards are really worth, and I never realized it until I read that article. UF seems to be decent, with 85% keeping their schollies. Anyways keep this in mind if you are anticipating any other offers through waitlists or whatever.

Thanks for posting this. I got that article in my email and read it too. Its funny, UF was mentioned in there...and I thought, hmm, I should find out about scholarship retention.

Barbie wrote:So, with the information you provided, aren't you essentially left with the exact same idea that you had before it: This is the GPA I need to get to keep my scholarship. There is a (place required GPA on the curve) __% overall chance that I will lose this scholarship. I guess for me (not that it matters for me), knowing that in the past 15% of people lost their scholarship doesn't really make a difference.

The reason why this information is important is because the article kinda "suggests" that schools offer students scholly to lure them in the door, but then due to the gpa curve, a lot of students end up loosing their schollies by 2L. It happens at some schools more than others.

Here is the link to the article. Its pretty interesting. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... rants.html

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri May 06, 2011 8:01 pm

edit: screw it haha I don't care-- do/think whatever yall would like :)

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri May 06, 2011 9:50 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Ok a two-part question about housing for those who live in Gainesville...

I'm on a couple waitlists right now that I would potentially take over UF, so I've decided that I'm not going to sign a lease this summer and I'm just going to move in with my aunt in Gainesville for the month of August until I know my waitlist options are completely ruled out so I don't have to worry about breaking a lease or ditching a roommate if I get off a waitlist super late. So my question is...1) how difficult do you think it will be to find an apartment at the beginning of September? I'll probably have to settle for a one bedroom apartment since it'd probably be nearly impossible to find a roommate that late. 2) How much do you think I should expect to pay for a one bedroom apartment?

Any help or insight would be awesome! Thanks!

Plenty of people come the last week before classes and find an apartment, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one. I haven't ever done it so I can't be positive, but I would imagine by that time, you will find some really good deals since the complexes will be trying to desperately fill their rooms. I wouldn't pay more than 700 for 1BR and utilities.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat May 07, 2011 12:57 am

Barbie wrote:edit: screw it haha I don't care-- do/think whatever yall would like :)

That was quite the intoxicated post that you put up lol

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat May 07, 2011 2:17 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Barbie wrote:edit: screw it haha I don't care-- do/think whatever yall would like :)

That was quite the intoxicated post that you put up lol

no way. I was just on my phone and the keyboard is sooo small hah.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Sat May 07, 2011 2:36 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat May 07, 2011 10:30 am

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat May 07, 2011 12:55 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Yeah I'll actually probably go for a studio within 3 miles from the school. I'm glad to hear I won't really be that screwed by renting late. I'm just a planner, so this is really hard for me to not have anything lined up for the fall.

I think you'll be fine. Gainesville has the most over-saturated student housing market in the nation:

http://www.wcjb.com/news/8815/student-h ... -in-nation

But I'm a planner like you and that would bug me also!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”