U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Mon May 02, 2011 5:32 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:Just got $9,000 in need-based and they said they'd try to scrounge up more in light of the tornado situation :D



aw UF so considerate :) Hope you're doin alright!!

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Hey current UF students, on the student affairs page it says that a computer with windows is needed but I have a Mac. Is that going to be a problem? If I really need windows I can just install it on my Mac pretty easily but I don't want to do it unless I need it. Thanks for the help!

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:29 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Barbie wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:Just got $9,000 in need-based and they said they'd try to scrounge up more in light of the tornado situation :D



aw UF so considerate :) Hope you're doin alright!!


I am, thanks girl! And yeah, Carol was really nice about it.

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:12 pm

mistergoft wrote:
ns77770 wrote:Hey current UF students, on the student affairs page it says that a computer with windows is needed but I have a Mac. Is that going to be a problem? If I really need windows I can just install it on my Mac pretty easily but I don't want to do it unless I need it. Thanks for the help!

You need windows to download examsoft, but there is a program on mac that allows you to DL windows. I'd say about 50% of current students have macs.


Are you talking about bootcamp? and Thanks for the help!

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:14 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon May 02, 2011 9:09 pm

.
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Got a grant today in the mail, so thrilled! :D


Nice congrats!

Bobo355
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:17 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Bobo355 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:00 am

So just to clear up, someone talked to admissions and they said the need based grants were only good for your first year and then you don't get anything after that?

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue May 03, 2011 10:12 am

Bobo355 wrote:So just to clear up, someone talked to admissions and they said the need based grants were only good for your first year and then you don't get anything after that?

Correct.

Bobo355
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:17 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Bobo355 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:44 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
Bobo355 wrote:So just to clear up, someone talked to admissions and they said the need based grants were only good for your first year and then you don't get anything after that?

Correct.


Very lame, well I'm gonna call and at least see if you are allowed to apply for that next year cus i'm not going to get any richer while in law school haha!

User avatar
FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Tue May 03, 2011 11:24 am

Bobo355 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Bobo355 wrote:So just to clear up, someone talked to admissions and they said the need based grants were only good for your first year and then you don't get anything after that?

Correct.


Very lame, well I'm gonna call and at least see if you are allowed to apply for that next year cus i'm not going to get any richer while in law school haha!


+1

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 am

From my understand, students who do well there first year can apply for continuing student scholarships. Apparently, UF has plenty of these. I have heard nothing about continuing student grants. But, do well, and you can get some of that $$ :).

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby GatorStudent » Tue May 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Barbie wrote:From my understand, students who do well there first year can apply for continuing student scholarships. Apparently, UF has plenty of these. I have heard nothing about continuing student grants. But, do well, and you can get some of that $$ :).


I question whether the scholarships are "plentiful." They told us that they had many of them, and most of them were "merit-based," but I found that many people who did VERY well their 1L year didn't get them. I'm talking about people in the top 5 to 10%.

I love UF, but I sincerely question that they have many of these scholarships, or at least their reasons for giving these scholarships.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue May 03, 2011 12:23 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
Barbie wrote:From my understand, students who do well there first year can apply for continuing student scholarships. Apparently, UF has plenty of these. I have heard nothing about continuing student grants. But, do well, and you can get some of that $$ :).


I question whether the scholarships are "plentiful." They told us that they had many of them, and most of them were "merit-based," but I found that many people who did VERY well their 1L year didn't get them. I'm talking about people in the top 5 to 10%.

I love UF, but I sincerely question that they have many of these scholarships, or at least their reasons for giving these scholarships.


Weird! I wonder the criteria then? Mistergoft I believe said he knew a few people who got them...

User avatar
g-children
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby g-children » Tue May 03, 2011 12:28 pm

mistergoft wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
ns77770 wrote:Hey current UF students, on the student affairs page it says that a computer with windows is needed but I have a Mac. Is that going to be a problem? If I really need windows I can just install it on my Mac pretty easily but I don't want to do it unless I need it. Thanks for the help!

You need windows to download examsoft, but there is a program on mac that allows you to DL windows. I'd say about 50% of current students have macs.


Are you talking about bootcamp? and Thanks for the help!

Umm, I have no idea.

/summons mac people.


You can use Bootcamp or Parallels or Vmware (Fusion). I have a Mac w Windows on it using Vmware (It allows you to run windows and mac osx at the same time all together in sync).

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:14 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby GatorStudent » Tue May 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Barbie wrote:
GatorStudent wrote:
Barbie wrote:From my understand, students who do well there first year can apply for continuing student scholarships. Apparently, UF has plenty of these. I have heard nothing about continuing student grants. But, do well, and you can get some of that $$ :).


I question whether the scholarships are "plentiful." They told us that they had many of them, and most of them were "merit-based," but I found that many people who did VERY well their 1L year didn't get them. I'm talking about people in the top 5 to 10%.

I love UF, but I sincerely question that they have many of these scholarships, or at least their reasons for giving these scholarships.


Weird! I wonder the criteria then? Mistergoft I believe said he knew a few people who got them...


Please see Mistergoft's post above. Even assuming they give out 20 (which I doubt, or, if they give out 20, they're small--I recall many of the scholarships being rather low), UF's class sizes are huge, even with the drop in class size.

UF's tuition is low, and it's a state school, so they don't concentrate on scholarships the way many private schools do.
Last edited by GatorStudent on Tue May 03, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue May 03, 2011 4:47 pm

UF's tuition is low, and it's a state school they're cheap, so they don't concentrate on scholarships the way many private schools do FSU does.


FTFY. Not that it really matters, since I'm still going to UF.

User avatar
prettyinpink02
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby prettyinpink02 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:02 pm

g-children wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
ns77770 wrote:You can use Bootcamp or Parallels or Vmware (Fusion). I have a Mac w Windows on it using Vmware (It allows you to run windows and mac osx at the same time all together in sync).


I have been going through the check list online and doing everything and when I was looking at the new examsoft system requirements on their website it looks like they now offer it for mac and it does not require any form of windows, you don't need bootcamp

User avatar
AU2010NC
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:18 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby AU2010NC » Tue May 03, 2011 7:13 pm

anyone living right near the law school next year and looking for a roomate? pm me if interested

User avatar
Light
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Light » Tue May 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Did anyone see that article in the NY Times recently about law schools offering more grants than it is statistically possible to maintain for 3 years? In other words, due to the curved grading and the specific GPA requirement to maintain your aid, many people will for sure lose their aid.

I did some research and the curve at UF says the GPA must be a mean between 3.15-3.25 or something. There was no median given. I called the financial aid office and inquired about what percent of students are given merit aid. She said 25%. And of those who have aid, 15% will lose it after the first year.

It's important to for people to research how good their merit awards are really worth, and I never realized it until I read that article. UF seems to be decent, with 85% keeping their schollies. Anyways keep this in mind if you are anticipating any other offers through waitlists or whatever.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue May 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Light wrote:Did anyone see that article in the NY Times recently about law schools offering more grants than it is statistically possible to maintain for 3 years? In other words, due to the curved grading and the specific GPA requirement to maintain your aid, many people will for sure lose their aid.

I did some research and the curve at UF says the GPA must be a mean between 3.15-3.25 or something. There was no median given. I called the financial aid office and inquired about what percent of students are given merit aid. She said 25%. And of those who have aid, 15% will lose it after the first year.

It's important to for people to research how good their merit awards are really worth, and I never realized it until I read that article. UF seems to be decent, with 85% keeping their schollies. Anyways keep this in mind if you are anticipating any other offers through waitlists or whatever.


Not to discredit your research at all, but anyone who gets a scholarship with a stipulation surely considers this automatically... I'm pretty sure everyone who has made it this far academically realizes the risk, at least.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Light wrote:She said 25%. And of those who have aid, 15% will lose it after the first year.

Thank you for posting this! I was actually going to call tomorrow to ask about scholarship retention, so I'm glad you posted the info here.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed May 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Does anyone know if the admissions office/financial aid office are opened during the same hours, etc over summer? As in, will I still be able to call and stalk them throughout these months since I am still, and plan on being for a while, incomplete :(.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cfitz, hellohalo, hopes&dreams, Houzy, Rio123, shotgunheist and 16 guests