U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
TheArtfulDodger
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby TheArtfulDodger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:55 pm

162, eh, but my uncle used to be a law professor at UF. Got a rejection letter in the mail.

Really UF?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 pm

TheArtfulDodger wrote:162, eh, but my uncle used to be a law professor at UF. Got a rejection letter in the mail.

Really UF?


Whats your GPA? Have any mishaps (arrested, kicked out of school, other educational boo-boos)? Did you do the full PS requirement (4 pages about academic accomplishment)? Sorry dude :(

User avatar
TheArtfulDodger
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby TheArtfulDodger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Barbie wrote:
TheArtfulDodger wrote:162, eh, but my uncle used to be a law professor at UF. Got a rejection letter in the mail.

Really UF?


Whats your GPA? Have any mishaps (arrested, kicked out of school, other educational boo-boos)? Did you do the full PS requirement (4 pages about academic accomplishment)? Sorry dude :(



I wrote an addendum about the discrepancy in my undergrad GPA. Sophomore through senior years average to a 3.6. Throw freshman year in there and you get a lousy 3.1. Yeah, I screwed up pretty bad when I first got to college. I thought 3 years of consistent good grades would be enough to show a 3.1 is not reflective of my college experience. I also thought anyone who took 5 seconds to glance at my transcript would automatically go, yeah, I see what happened.

I guess when you are only concerned about the number, the reason for it doesn't matter.

Three things I thought would make up for it:

1. My uncle who was a law professor there (doesn't that help anymore?)
2. Work experience
3. From New Orleans and have all those sob Katrina stories


-Also, no arrests, mishaps, wrote a full PS, but skimped on the whole diversity thing. How is a white, middle-class, male, predominately of Anglo-Saxon decent supposed to pretend to increase diversity in some magical way? I grew up in a cul-de-sac in the suburbs. I got nothing.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:36 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheArtfulDodger
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby TheArtfulDodger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:47 pm

mistergoft wrote:
TheArtfulDodger wrote:
Barbie wrote:
TheArtfulDodger wrote:162, eh, but my uncle used to be a law professor at UF. Got a rejection letter in the mail.

Really UF?


Whats your GPA? Have any mishaps (arrested, kicked out of school, other educational boo-boos)? Did you do the full PS requirement (4 pages about academic accomplishment)? Sorry dude :(



I wrote an addendum about the discrepancy in my undergrad GPA. Sophomore through senior years average to a 3.6. Throw freshman year in there and you get a lousy 3.1. Yeah, I screwed up pretty bad when I first got to college. I thought 3 years of consistent good grades would be enough to show a 3.1 is not reflective of my college experience. I also thought anyone who took 5 seconds to glance at my transcript would automatically go, yeah, I see what happened.

I guess when you are only concerned about the number, the reason for it doesn't matter.

Three things I thought would make up for it:

1. My uncle who was a law professor there (doesn't that help anymore?)
2. Work experience
3. From New Orleans and have all those sob Katrina stories

Those are pretty boarderline numbers IIRC, though during my application cycle you probably would have been accepted. Did you apply late in the cycle? If so, that's probably why you were rejected.


Some time in January.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby alicrimson » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:06 pm

TheArtfulDodger wrote:162, eh, but my uncle used to be a law professor at UF. Got a rejection letter in the mail.

Really UF?


When did your letter go out? I'm sorry to hear this. I would think WL atleast.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 pm

.
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
prettyinpink02
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby prettyinpink02 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Ok guys, I can't post this on Facebook yet because I'm at the bar with a bunch of Illinois law students that I'm friends with on Facebook and they think I'm undecided still, but...

...I'm a FLORIDA GATOR!!!!!

Prettyinpink can stop having a heart attack now :lol:


YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! I'm soooo happy for all of us!!! <3

wbbguy
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby wbbguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:26 am

The recent posts and 162 rejections are making my heart sink while my letter is in the mail :(

FML, who thought it would be so hard to be admitted. Great grades, and the motivation to succeed, I should have a chance.

User avatar
alicrimson
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby alicrimson » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:17 am

wbbguy wrote:The recent posts and 162 rejections are making my heart sink while my letter is in the mail :(

FML, who thought it would be so hard to be admitted. Great grades, and the motivation to succeed, I should have a chance.


+1. There HAS to be some x-factor. I know a lot of people in with 162s and people who were accepted with lower scores. Maybe it was a late application or missing something else or else UF is just going crazy. Either way, it isn't helping my confidence either and a waitlist will just be bad for my sanity. haha.

User avatar
Cupcakes
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Cupcakes » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 am

wbbguy wrote:The recent posts and 162 rejections are making my heart sink while my letter is in the mail :(

FML, who thought it would be so hard to be admitted. Great grades, and the motivation to succeed, I should have a chance.



Yea 162/3.9- I'm going to be a little shocked if you don't get in.

User avatar
TheArtfulDodger
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby TheArtfulDodger » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 am

162 and rejected, but I'm out of state. I don't remember, and at this point don't care, but since they're a public school, I'm sure there's a percentage of in state applicants they have to accept.

Maybe that's the "x factor" you are looking for.

Then again, my uncle was a business law professor who taught there for years.


So when a professor's nephew with a 162 gets rejected, yeah, I guess those of you still waiting can be nervous.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:47 am

TheArtfulDodger wrote:162 and rejected, but I'm out of state. I don't remember, and at this point don't care, but since they're a public school, I'm sure there's a percentage of in state applicants they have to accept.

Maybe that's the "x factor" you are looking for.

Then again, my uncle was a business law professor who taught there for years.


So when a professor's nephew with a 162 gets rejected, yeah, I guess those of you still waiting can be nervous.


To be fair, a 3.1 GPA is well below their 25th, and a 162 isn't even median for LSAT anymore.. :( You didn't help either median out and you applied late.

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Mattfl88 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:06 am

I'd also guess that being out of state hurt you. They do have to meet certain quotas for in-state students and they've probably already taken a bunch of out of state students with higher GPAs.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 am

Mattfl88 wrote:I'd also guess that being out of state hurt you. They do have to meet certain quotas for in-state students and they've probably already taken a bunch of out of state students with higher GPAs.


I've heard over and over again that this isn't true... but who knows

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FGCUguy123 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:39 am

Mattfl88 wrote:I'd also guess that being out of state hurt you. They do have to meet certain quotas for in-state students and they've probably already taken a bunch of out of state students with higher GPAs.


It wasn't that he was out of state. It was that his GPA was too low. IMO, to be 100% with all you 162's, I don't think those LSATs are really going to cut it without a stellar GPA at this point in the cycle. Then again, with people withdrawing for other schools, perhaps UF is more inclined to drop their standards at this point. I think Barbie nailed it: who knows?

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Mattfl88 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:53 am

Barbie wrote:
Mattfl88 wrote:I'd also guess that being out of state hurt you. They do have to meet certain quotas for in-state students and they've probably already taken a bunch of out of state students with higher GPAs.


I've heard over and over again that this isn't true... but who knows


hmm... I thought all public institutions had to take certain percentages of residents since they are state funded. Now I'm curious.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:54 am

Mattfl88 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Mattfl88 wrote:I'd also guess that being out of state hurt you. They do have to meet certain quotas for in-state students and they've probably already taken a bunch of out of state students with higher GPAs.


I've heard over and over again that this isn't true... but who knows


hmm... I thought all public institutions had to take certain percentages of residents since they are state funded. Now I'm curious.


Nope. Some do, like UNC and apparently UGA. UF, not so much. Again, this is just what I've heard.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:24 pm

UF does not have an in state quota amount. Per the website:

"A. In recent years, students qualifying as state residents have made up about 80-87 percent of the entering class. UF Law does not have a cap on out-of-state students. Of those who enter as non-residents, the vast majority will gain residency status after the first year."

wbbguy
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby wbbguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:23 pm

Is the 'acceptance letter' a package, and the rejection letter a letter? Or are they both the same? Not that it matters, I'll open the mail when I get it either way, but this way the suspense is ended at the mailbox and I dont have to tear through an envelope to get the answer. lol

wbbguy
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby wbbguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Barbie wrote:
TheArtfulDodger wrote:162 and rejected, but I'm out of state. I don't remember, and at this point don't care, but since they're a public school, I'm sure there's a percentage of in state applicants they have to accept.

Maybe that's the "x factor" you are looking for.

Then again, my uncle was a business law professor who taught there for years.


So when a professor's nephew with a 162 gets rejected, yeah, I guess those of you still waiting can be nervous.


To be fair, a 3.1 GPA is well below their 25th, and a 162 isn't even median for LSAT anymore.. :( You didn't help either median out and you applied late.


From what i saw on LSN, it looked like those with higher LSAT and GPAs applied, were accepted, and most withdrew for other schools. So, sure, they flat out accept the better candidates, but perhaps they will waitlist me to see how many of the shining stars withdraw for another option, leaving a space for little ole me! :P At least, thats my last ditch effort to save my own sanity

User avatar
irishvt14
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby irishvt14 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:29 pm

You have a great GPA!

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Mattfl88 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:51 pm

wbbguy wrote:Is the 'acceptance letter' a package, and the rejection letter a letter? Or are they both the same? Not that it matters, I'll open the mail when I get it either way, but this way the suspense is ended at the mailbox and I dont have to tear through an envelope to get the answer. lol


I believe it is just a letter. My buddy told me when he got the mail he was worried at first because it was letter size and very light. Upon opening the letter, he was pleasantly surprised.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:
wbbguy wrote:Is the 'acceptance letter' a package, and the rejection letter a letter? Or are they both the same? Not that it matters, I'll open the mail when I get it either way, but this way the suspense is ended at the mailbox and I dont have to tear through an envelope to get the answer. lol


I believe it is just a letter. My buddy told me when he got the mail he was worried at first because it was letter size and very light. Upon opening the letter, he was pleasantly surprised.


Mine was a small package. Defense biggerehan a normal letter but not as big as most acceptance packages.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Barbie wrote:
Mattfl88 wrote:
wbbguy wrote:Is the 'acceptance letter' a package, and the rejection letter a letter? Or are they both the same? Not that it matters, I'll open the mail when I get it either way, but this way the suspense is ended at the mailbox and I dont have to tear through an envelope to get the answer. lol


I believe it is just a letter. My buddy told me when he got the mail he was worried at first because it was letter size and very light. Upon opening the letter, he was pleasantly surprised.


Mine was a small package. Defense biggerehan a normal letter but not as big as most acceptance packages.


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], lmcghee, notorious_mig, sonyco, texteach, TudoBem, zeglo and 9 guests