U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Barbie has the perfect place for BBQs, I have a giant TV for the folks who don't have tickets to football games or when the Gators are away, and the other TLSers in here are really nice and intelligent. What more could you ask for?

User avatar
irishvt14
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby irishvt14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:23 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:Barbie has the perfect place for BBQs, I have a giant TV for the folks who don't have tickets to football games or when the Gators are away, and the other TLSers in here are really nice and intelligent. What more could you ask for?


I really hope I get accepted based on this statement alone.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:23 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:Barbie has the perfect place for BBQs, I have a giant TV for the folks who don't have tickets to football games or when the Gators are away, and the other TLSers in here are really nice and intelligent. What more could you ask for?


Not to stray from convincing Skipper that FSU ppl are ttt in comparison :lol: but how big is your TV? With the wedding money thats one of the things I want to get. My only plasma flat screen whatever is 32", then I have two regular TVs at... idk what size.. ones like 3 feet screen length and the other is like 4.5 feet. But they aren't flat so I need to replace them. Anyway-- where could I get them for a good price?? They don't have to be that big.. but I want one thats at least like.. 50" or something for the living room.

User avatar
Skipper2014
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:46 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Skipper2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Barbie wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:Barbie has the perfect place for BBQs, I have a giant TV for the folks who don't have tickets to football games or when the Gators are away, and the other TLSers in here are really nice and intelligent. What more could you ask for?


Not to stray from convincing Skipper that FSU ppl are ttt in comparison :lol: but how big is your TV? With the wedding money thats one of the things I want to get. My only plasma flat screen whatever is 32", then I have two regular TVs at... idk what size.. ones like 3 feet screen length and the other is like 4.5 feet. But they aren't flat so I need to replace them. Anyway-- where could I get them for a good price?? They don't have to be that big.. but I want one thats at least like.. 50" or something for the living room.


Craigslist it -- seriously. We just sold one of our 50in TVs on CL for cheap (trying to get rid of stuff before moving across the country). I'd suggest an LCD over plasma for sure, but if you're willing to take the plasma risk with the screens you can typically get one a few years old for super cheap. If you guys have Fry's out there it's typically much better priced than Best Buy if you'd like to get it new.

Side note: football might weigh into my decision more than it should. Plus my UG colors were blue & orange so i could wear my old game day t-shirts! A sign? Maybe.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Oh lol I though my 36 flat screen was big!!! It has great clarity, too :D

Sam's Club has some pretty great deals on TVs around the holidays. Best Buy is also a good choice around Labor Day weekend and Christmas. Craiglist is a great choice around moving days.

User avatar
Skipper2014
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:46 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Skipper2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:35 pm

If I end up at UF and you still don't have one when school starts...we can go on base :D What upppp tax free.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:If I end up at UF and you still don't have one when school starts...we can go on base :D What upppp tax free.


woooooooo!

Anyway, there wasn't any amt of money that could have taken me to FSU over UF. I didn't even try to negotiate. When I visited FSU, I had fun because of the people (who are all going to UF now haha) but did NOT feel at home- even a little. The town simply did not fit my personality/wants. I went to UF's ASD and knew instantly. I definitely considered other schools along the way (Illinois, Tulane, even Stetson) but I'm really glad I'm ending up at UF!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Oh, and I think I'm coming to Gville tomorrow if anyone wants to hangggg with LSATmakesmeneurotic and I!

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby haoledugan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:31 pm

I've got one thing to say....

IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAA GATOR!!!

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:52 pm

minuit wrote:Skipper, even I would go to UF if that's what it took to be with my fiancé. You are going to want his support! 34k isn't worth forever happiness!


Agreed.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:54 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Skipper2014 wrote:Also to consider, we're planning to be in Florida for 3-6 years after I'm done with LS, but we'll definitely be moving either back to CA or to another Sub base (WA, CT, or VA most likely). Will the UF name travel better out of state than FSU to help me secure employment?

Generally speaking, yes, if merely because UF has a vastly larger alumni base (which means more alums in more areas). Although, neither name carries much weight OOS (with the exception of maybe GA), if you're looking to start practicing in Fl then move after 3-6 years, it will likely be more about where you worked/what did/who is hiring/being able to waive into or pass another state bar than it will be about the rep of your law school (although obviously it will carry some weight, especially with prestige based firms).


Realistically though, how many UF alums are going to be a given market outside of Florida? Probably not enough to matter. The second part of what you said is the real key. The job she lands before moving will be the biggest factor in impressing a future employer.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:00 pm

haoledugan wrote:I've got one thing to say....

IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAA GATOR!!!


Congrats on making your decision!

User avatar
prettyinpink02
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby prettyinpink02 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Barbie wrote:Oh, and I think I'm coming to Gville tomorrow if anyone wants to hangggg with LSATmakesmeneurotic and I!


Are you going to you know who's birthday celebration??? If so I'm SUPER JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. if Warflamingo doesn't end up at UF I might SCREAM!!!!!

FGCUguy123
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FGCUguy123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:Again I know I am the ignorant one here but what is SO??? Hahaha ask anyone around here I'm bad with all these abbreviations (still dont know what TT or ITT means) hahahaha

If only there were a thread that explained all of the TLS abbreviations (LinkRemoved)


FWIW, SO wasn't included on OPs original list (see what I did there :lol: )

Well -- I haven't visited either school, nor will I have the opportunity to before making a decision. Truthfully I'm not super concerned with personal preference but more so where the school will get me afterward and how it will affect my personal life.

So here's some food for thought, because it might change opinions. The SO and I are planning to get married (I've called him my fiance before because there's a ring and we openly talk about it, but we haven't formally announced it to others yet because we'll have a better idea on when we can get married when I make my LS decision). If I'm in Tally, we'll live apart for three years which sucks, but is doable -- you learn to do distance pretty well with the military. If I'm in Gainesville we'd live together and I would commute (calculated about $200-$250 a month in gas)...so that will cut down some on COL. The kicker is...if I'm at UF, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting married in LS, and then will be potentially eligible to use part of his GI Bill for my own education. Of course we could just get married with me in Tally and I could use it to make FSU even cheaper, but that goes against every traditional bone in my body and I really don't want to spend 2-3 years of marriage as a commuter couple. If I use the GI Bill (we need to look into details) it might pay fully for 2&3L. Also to consider, we're planning to be in Florida for 3-6 years after I'm done with LS, but we'll definitely be moving either back to CA or to another Sub base (WA, CT, or VA most likely).Will the UF name travel better out of state than FSU to help me secure employment?

Maybe I'm letting my personal desires cloud my decision too much. Should I stop being a dumb girl and just put my personal life on hold for 3 years? Or do you think the considerations have merit (reduced COL + possible GI Bill + concern for FSU name out of Florida)?


To be honest (and I have heard this from a friend of mine, who is a current student at UF Law), while indeed UF places excellently in Florida, it's national reach is not superb. In fact, it is extremely hard to place outside of Florida from any Florida school. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying that it's immensely difficult. If you are REALLY looking to move to those places it would make more sense to apply to schools whose regionality encapsulates those areas and not put all your "leaving Florida for employment" eggs in the UF basket.

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby haoledugan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:29 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
haoledugan wrote:I've got one thing to say....

IT'S GREAT TO BE A FLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAA GATOR!!!


Congrats on making your decision!


Thanks Pink ;)

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Deuce » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Barbie wrote:Oh, and I think I'm coming to Gville tomorrow if anyone wants to hangggg with LSATmakesmeneurotic and I!


No class or final friday = round 3 :)

User avatar
Skipper2014
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:46 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Skipper2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:59 pm

FGCUguy123 wrote:
Skipper2014 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:Again I know I am the ignorant one here but what is SO??? Hahaha ask anyone around here I'm bad with all these abbreviations (still dont know what TT or ITT means) hahahaha

If only there were a thread that explained all of the TLS abbreviations (LinkRemoved)


FWIW, SO wasn't included on OPs original list (see what I did there :lol: )

Well -- I haven't visited either school, nor will I have the opportunity to before making a decision. Truthfully I'm not super concerned with personal preference but more so where the school will get me afterward and how it will affect my personal life.

So here's some food for thought, because it might change opinions. The SO and I are planning to get married (I've called him my fiance before because there's a ring and we openly talk about it, but we haven't formally announced it to others yet because we'll have a better idea on when we can get married when I make my LS decision). If I'm in Tally, we'll live apart for three years which sucks, but is doable -- you learn to do distance pretty well with the military. If I'm in Gainesville we'd live together and I would commute (calculated about $200-$250 a month in gas)...so that will cut down some on COL. The kicker is...if I'm at UF, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting married in LS, and then will be potentially eligible to use part of his GI Bill for my own education. Of course we could just get married with me in Tally and I could use it to make FSU even cheaper, but that goes against every traditional bone in my body and I really don't want to spend 2-3 years of marriage as a commuter couple. If I use the GI Bill (we need to look into details) it might pay fully for 2&3L. Also to consider, we're planning to be in Florida for 3-6 years after I'm done with LS, but we'll definitely be moving either back to CA or to another Sub base (WA, CT, or VA most likely).Will the UF name travel better out of state than FSU to help me secure employment?

Maybe I'm letting my personal desires cloud my decision too much. Should I stop being a dumb girl and just put my personal life on hold for 3 years? Or do you think the considerations have merit (reduced COL + possible GI Bill + concern for FSU name out of Florida)?


To be honest (and I have heard this from a friend of mine, who is a current student at UF Law), while indeed UF places excellently in Florida, it's national reach is not superb. In fact, it is extremely hard to place outside of Florida from any Florida school. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying that it's immensely difficult. If you are REALLY looking to move to those places it would make more sense to apply to schools whose regionality encapsulates those areas and not put all your "leaving Florida for employment" eggs in the UF basket.


Well I'll definitely be getting my FIRST job in Florida with the plan to stay there at least 3 years, possibly up to 6. I think the general opinion is correct in that where I work/what I do will be ultimately more important than where my degree is from when I'm looking for another job when we move. From what I know about the Houston market (where I'm originally from) a lot of the big firms will have a few UF grads on on their roster who are more senior. Also noteworthy -- they're typically tax attorneys. If it looks like there is no-chance-in-hell that I'll get a job outside of Florida even after some good work experience, we could stay. It just wouldn't be good for his career.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Skipper, in light of your circumstances, I'd pick UF>FSU34k. You and I are in similar situations, although you'll at least get to be with your SO. Pick UF! and then come to the BarbieQ's :-D

gnulaw77
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby gnulaw77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:Again I know I am the ignorant one here but what is SO??? Hahaha ask anyone around here I'm bad with all these abbreviations (still dont know what TT or ITT means) hahahaha

If only there were a thread that explained all of the TLS abbreviations (LinkRemoved)


FWIW, SO wasn't included on OPs original list (see what I did there :lol: )

Well -- I haven't visited either school, nor will I have the opportunity to before making a decision. Truthfully I'm not super concerned with personal preference but more so where the school will get me afterward and how it will affect my personal life.

So here's some food for thought, because it might change opinions. The SO and I are planning to get married (I've called him my fiance before because there's a ring and we openly talk about it, but we haven't formally announced it to others yet because we'll have a better idea on when we can get married when I make my LS decision). If I'm in Tally, we'll live apart for three years which sucks, but is doable -- you learn to do distance pretty well with the military. If I'm in Gainesville we'd live together and I would commute (calculated about $200-$250 a month in gas)...so that will cut down some on COL. The kicker is...if I'm at UF, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting married in LS, and then will be potentially eligible to use part of his GI Bill for my own education. Of course we could just get married with me in Tally and I could use it to make FSU even cheaper, but that goes against every traditional bone in my body and I really don't want to spend 2-3 years of marriage as a commuter couple. If I use the GI Bill (we need to look into details) it might pay fully for 2&3L. Also to consider, we're planning to be in Florida for 3-6 years after I'm done with LS, but we'll definitely be moving either back to CA or to another Sub base (WA, CT, or VA most likely). Will the UF name travel better out of state than FSU to help me secure employment?

Maybe I'm letting my personal desires cloud my decision too much. Should I stop being a dumb girl and just put my personal life on hold for 3 years? Or do you think the considerations have merit (reduced COL + possible GI Bill + concern for FSU name out of Florida)?


Skipper,
This doesn't help you decide between UF and FSU, but are you aware that if you are married to your SO and he is active military stationed in Florida, you can possibly/probably get Florida in-state tuition, even the first year if you were to marry before school starts? I'm fairly certain this is one of the exception categories for which a year of domicile is not required.

See http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/pdf/residencyreclass.pdf, second page, third checkbox from the bottom in the "Exceptions".

Might be worth a call to the residency office to double-check.

User avatar
Skipper2014
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:46 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Skipper2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:27 pm

gnulaw77 wrote:
Skipper2014 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:Again I know I am the ignorant one here but what is SO??? Hahaha ask anyone around here I'm bad with all these abbreviations (still dont know what TT or ITT means) hahahaha

If only there were a thread that explained all of the TLS abbreviations (LinkRemoved)


FWIW, SO wasn't included on OPs original list (see what I did there :lol: )

Well -- I haven't visited either school, nor will I have the opportunity to before making a decision. Truthfully I'm not super concerned with personal preference but more so where the school will get me afterward and how it will affect my personal life.

So here's some food for thought, because it might change opinions. The SO and I are planning to get married (I've called him my fiance before because there's a ring and we openly talk about it, but we haven't formally announced it to others yet because we'll have a better idea on when we can get married when I make my LS decision). If I'm in Tally, we'll live apart for three years which sucks, but is doable -- you learn to do distance pretty well with the military. If I'm in Gainesville we'd live together and I would commute (calculated about $200-$250 a month in gas)...so that will cut down some on COL. The kicker is...if I'm at UF, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting married in LS, and then will be potentially eligible to use part of his GI Bill for my own education. Of course we could just get married with me in Tally and I could use it to make FSU even cheaper, but that goes against every traditional bone in my body and I really don't want to spend 2-3 years of marriage as a commuter couple. If I use the GI Bill (we need to look into details) it might pay fully for 2&3L. Also to consider, we're planning to be in Florida for 3-6 years after I'm done with LS, but we'll definitely be moving either back to CA or to another Sub base (WA, CT, or VA most likely). Will the UF name travel better out of state than FSU to help me secure employment?

Maybe I'm letting my personal desires cloud my decision too much. Should I stop being a dumb girl and just put my personal life on hold for 3 years? Or do you think the considerations have merit (reduced COL + possible GI Bill + concern for FSU name out of Florida)?


Skipper,
This doesn't help you decide between UF and FSU, but are you aware that if you are married to your SO and he is active military stationed in Florida, you can possibly/probably get Florida in-state tuition, even the first year if you were to marry before school starts? I'm fairly certain this is one of the exception categories for which a year of domicile is not required.

See http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/pdf/residencyreclass.pdf, second page, third checkbox from the bottom in the "Exceptions".

Might be worth a call to the residency office to double-check.


Yeah I know -- problem is his technical stationing is in GA (St. Mary's) & even though he'll be in JAX and own a house somewhere south of the city we're not eligible for in-state. Lame.

gnulaw77
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby gnulaw77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:29 pm

doh!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Deuce wrote:
Barbie wrote:Oh, and I think I'm coming to Gville tomorrow if anyone wants to hangggg with LSATmakesmeneurotic and I!


No class or final friday = round 3 :)



Yayyyyy! PArty time!

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:52 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
P.S. if Warflamingo doesn't end up at UF I might SCREAM!!!!!

Aww <3

User avatar
prettyinpink02
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby prettyinpink02 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:
P.S. if Warflamingo doesn't end up at UF I might SCREAM!!!!!

Aww <3


I'm so serious!!!!!!!!

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:
P.S. if Warflamingo doesn't end up at UF I might SCREAM!!!!!

Aww <3


I'm so serious!!!!!!!!

Sooo much pressure! :lol:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests