U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Alright guys, going to be signing off until next Sunday when finals are over. I'll be on fb if anyone wants to reach me, just ask most usual posters ITT they know who I am.

Skipper2014

New

Post by Skipper2014 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:54 pm

INNNNN!

So here's a question...how much money would you give up at FSU to go UF? I know Levin typically doesn't give a lot of money, but I've been out of school and financially independent for two years and probably qualify as "moderately poor" based on my income level. Think that is enough for need-based aid?

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:INNNNN!

So here's a question...how much money would you give up at FSU to go UF? I know Levin typically doesn't give a lot of money, but I've been out of school and financially independent for two years and probably qualify as "moderately poor" based on my income level. Think that is enough for need-based aid?
Don't know anything about getting money since I am very poor too and have so far received approx. $0 from Levin, but just wanted to say congrats!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 am

If you have any income at all you really aren't poor enough IMO. I gave up 20k at FSU and so did a few others up to 24k... all for nothing at UF. So... its pretty common to forgo scholly at FSU for sticker at UF 'round these parts.

Aro5389

New

Post by Aro5389 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:01 am

Barbie wrote:

If you have any income at all you really aren't poor enough IMO. I gave up 20k at FSU and so did a few others up to 24k... all for nothing at UF. So... its pretty common to forgo scholly at FSU for sticker at UF 'round these parts.
Wow.. didn't know you gave up that much. What was it that made you decide to pass FSU+$$ for UF?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bobo355

New

Post by Bobo355 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:58 am

Aro5389 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Wow.. didn't know you gave up that much. What was it that made you decide to pass FSU+$$ for UF?
Probably because she didn't want to cheer for the noles... Go Gators!

Cupcakes

New

Post by Cupcakes » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:50 am

FYI to people in the 4/18 group of "letter issued", I called this morning and they said majority of the letters sent were waitlists with a few rejections and acceptances.

Skipper2014

New

Post by Skipper2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:03 am

Barbie wrote:

I think I got my scholarship after you guys turned down all of your money, and then got more for the first year only...so I'd be turning down 34K :(. It's just SO MUCH MONEYYYYYYY. Honestly I don't even know if I would consider UF at this point except that if I go there, I can live with the SO. Definitely an added bonus.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:04 am

Aro5389 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I liked UF 10000x better. Other people did it for the name recognition that comes with UF, and the clear differences despite the rankings of UF being >> FSU around FL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 am

Cupcakes wrote:FYI to people in the 4/18 group of "letter issued", I called this morning and they said majority of the letters sent were waitlists with a few rejections and acceptances.
That sucks

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 am

Cupcakes wrote:FYI to people in the 4/18 group of "letter issued", I called this morning and they said majority of the letters sent were waitlists with a few rejections and acceptances.
Pretty much what I expected, but upsetting nonetheless.

JcM_LAW

New

Post by JcM_LAW » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 am

I hope im either an acceptance or a denial. A waitlist just seems wrong after waiting months for them to make a decision.

edit: I don't know grammar.
Last edited by JcM_LAW on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:43 am

JcM_LAW wrote:
I hope im either a acceptance or a denial. A waitlist just seems wrong after waiting months for them to make a decision.
I completely agree

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prettyinpink02

New

Post by prettyinpink02 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:22 am

Skipper2014 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I think I got my scholarship after you guys turned down all of your money, and then got more for the first year only...so I'd be turning down 34K :(. It's just SO MUCH MONEYYYYYYY. Honestly I don't even know if I would consider UF at this point except that if I go there, I can live with the SO. Definitely an added bonus.
Again I know I am the ignorant one here but what is SO??? Hahaha ask anyone around here I'm bad with all these abbreviations (still dont know what TT or ITT means) hahahaha

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 am

]
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
Skipper2014 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Again I know I am the ignorant one here but what is SO??? Hahaha ask anyone around here I'm bad with all these abbreviations (still dont know what TT or ITT means) hahahaha
SO means significant other.

FGCUguy123

Bronze

Post by FGCUguy123 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

If I were you, I wouldn't turn down all that money. 34k is nothing to scoff at. UF does have better name recognition, but that doesn't mean FSU doesn't have name recognition as well. UF IMO is not great enough to turn down that kind of money from FSU. Unfortunately, I think you will have to be deciding "Do I want to rack up less debt, or pay (potentially...depending on your need based aid) exponentially more money to go to the top Florida school over the 2nd top Florida school." It is a difficult decision however, like I said, I would go where the money is. Both school place excellently in Florida...I wouldn't worry about that. Another factor, as Barbie said, is personal preference. Maybe you simply don't like FSU as much as UF, in which case, I would say go with whatever feels right.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:25 pm

I turned down 24k, but I think if I had gotten 34, I'd be going to FSU next year. Don't turn down THAT kind of cash.

Skipper2014

New

Post by Skipper2014 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:20 pm

mistergoft wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:Again I know I am the ignorant one here but what is SO??? Hahaha ask anyone around here I'm bad with all these abbreviations (still dont know what TT or ITT means) hahahaha
If only there were a thread that explained all of the TLS abbreviations (LinkRemoved)
FWIW, SO wasn't included on OPs original list (see what I did there :lol: )

Well -- I haven't visited either school, nor will I have the opportunity to before making a decision. Truthfully I'm not super concerned with personal preference but more so where the school will get me afterward and how it will affect my personal life.

So here's some food for thought, because it might change opinions. The SO and I are planning to get married (I've called him my fiance before because there's a ring and we openly talk about it, but we haven't formally announced it to others yet because we'll have a better idea on when we can get married when I make my LS decision). If I'm in Tally, we'll live apart for three years which sucks, but is doable -- you learn to do distance pretty well with the military. If I'm in Gainesville we'd live together and I would commute (calculated about $200-$250 a month in gas)...so that will cut down some on COL. The kicker is...if I'm at UF, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting married in LS, and then will be potentially eligible to use part of his GI Bill for my own education. Of course we could just get married with me in Tally and I could use it to make FSU even cheaper, but that goes against every traditional bone in my body and I really don't want to spend 2-3 years of marriage as a commuter couple. If I use the GI Bill (we need to look into details) it might pay fully for 2&3L. Also to consider, we're planning to be in Florida for 3-6 years after I'm done with LS, but we'll definitely be moving either back to CA or to another Sub base (WA, CT, or VA most likely). Will the UF name travel better out of state than FSU to help me secure employment?

Maybe I'm letting my personal desires cloud my decision too much. Should I stop being a dumb girl and just put my personal life on hold for 3 years? Or do you think the considerations have merit (reduced COL + possible GI Bill + concern for FSU name out of Florida)?

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Skipper2014 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:Again I know I am the ignorant one here but what is SO??? Hahaha ask anyone around here I'm bad with all these abbreviations (still dont know what TT or ITT means) hahahaha
If only there were a thread that explained all of the TLS abbreviations (LinkRemoved)
FWIW, SO wasn't included on OPs original list (see what I did there :lol: )

Well -- I haven't visited either school, nor will I have the opportunity to before making a decision. Truthfully I'm not super concerned with personal preference but more so where the school will get me afterward and how it will affect my personal life.

So here's some food for thought, because it might change opinions. The SO and I are planning to get married (I've called him my fiance before because there's a ring and we openly talk about it, but we haven't formally announced it to others yet because we'll have a better idea on when we can get married when I make my LS decision). If I'm in Tally, we'll live apart for three years which sucks, but is doable -- you learn to do distance pretty well with the military. If I'm in Gainesville we'd live together and I would commute (calculated about $200-$250 a month in gas)...so that will cut down some on COL. The kicker is...if I'm at UF, I would feel a lot more comfortable getting married in LS, and then will be potentially eligible to use part of his GI Bill for my own education. Of course we could just get married with me in Tally and I could use it to make FSU even cheaper, but that goes against every traditional bone in my body and I really don't want to spend 2-3 years of marriage as a commuter couple. If I use the GI Bill (we need to look into details) it might pay fully for 2&3L. Also to consider, we're planning to be in Florida for 3-6 years after I'm done with LS, but we'll definitely be moving either back to CA or to another Sub base (WA, CT, or VA most likely). Will the UF name travel better out of state than FSU to help me secure employment?

Maybe I'm letting my personal desires cloud my decision too much. Should I stop being a dumb girl and just put my personal life on hold for 3 years? Or do you think the considerations have merit (reduced COL + possible GI Bill + concern for FSU name out of Florida)?
You're not a dumb girl! Your personal life should affect your decisions. At the end of the day you have to do what's right. For what it's worth, I wouldn't want to do the commuting thing either if I were getting married! You will make a good choice.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Skipper, even I would go to UF if that's what it took to be with my fiancé. You are going to want his support! 34k isn't worth forever happiness!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Skipper, I'll be doing a partial commuter thing and I'm engaged. It really won't be so bad. When you think about it, you know you'll need most of your free time to study, and breaking in a new marriage is tough with all your LS stuff going on. My fiance and I are thinking about getting married after school since this summer was too soon to plan a wedding.

That being said, trust your gut. 34K is a lot to turn down ITE, but if your heart is telling you UF is the right place, then you should listen. Personal happiness can play a role in your success, and it should not be discounted so easily.

usernamer

New

Post by usernamer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:08 pm

FWIW my status updated to letter issued on 4/18, but the status date was 4/14. In on Monday morning.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:10 pm

UF>FSU34k

let me clarify:
UF+cheaperCOL+Husby+BarbieandherHusby+BestTLSpplEver>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.FSU34k

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”