U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FeelTheHeat

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:04 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:mattfl: I thought you had already decided on FSU?

I seriously can't wait until we get our sections assigned! AND, good luck to all those that got their letters issued today :)

When does that happen, orientation?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Sometime after I submit my seat deposit haha. I think my friend got assigned his section in early August, but he was let in off the waitlist. Any current students here that can give us the answer?

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:16 pm

For those asking about the 'no laptop' section, it did exist. Every teacher in section 2 banned laptops fall semester. Prof Jacobs, the Crim teacher for section 1 bans them as well. The teachers are all moved around next year, so there's no guarantee that there will be another ban across the board in any particular section. However, Professor Klein is teaching property for section 1 and told our class she is considering a ban on laptops next semester. To be honest, it's not as bad as it sounds. People are much more involved in class when there's no internet to distract them.

As for the A and B splits of classes, I think it's a double-edged sword. I really enjoyed having crim with a smaller class, it was very engaging. I don't know how I would feel about having PR with a smaller class. It's just not as interesting. Plus, there was a perceived discrepancy between our crim exams. One class had all essay, closed book, no notes. The other had a multiple choice exam with one long essay, open book and notes. There were people in each class that were unhappy because they would have preferred the other exam type. You're only curved against your smaller class, but I can see why some people would be upset. (For the record, it really didn't bother me.)

If you want to get an idea for when sections will be assigned, check last year's thread.

Edit: Never mind, I checked. Last year section assignments came out July 23rd. :D
Last edited by Moose Thompson on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prettyinpink02

Postby prettyinpink02 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Barbie wrote:Why does section 1 have resp A and B, 2 crim law A & B, and 3 torts A & B? I'd rather take more of crim law or prof resp than torts lol. By the way, I am REALLY impressed that we don't have to be there until 8:40 at the earliest and only 3 days a week! Awesome.

We don't have it twice... its divided into two smaller sections for that class

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:For those asking about the 'no laptop' section, it did exist. Every teacher in section 2 banned laptops fall semester. Prof Jacobs, the Crim teacher for section 1 bans them as well. The teachers are all moved around next year, so there's no guarantee that there will be another ban across the board in any particular section. However, Professor Klein is teaching property for section 1 and told our class she is considering a ban on laptops next semester. To be honest, it's not as bad as it sounds. People are much more involved in class when there's no internet to distract them.

As for the A and B splits of classes, I think it's a double-edged sword. I really enjoyed having crim with a smaller class, it was very engaging. I don't know how I would feel about having PR with a smaller class. It's just not as interesting. Plus, there was a perceived discrepancy between our crim exams. One class had all essay, closed book, no notes. The other had a multiple choice exam with one long essay, open book and notes. There were people in each class that were unhappy because they would have preferred the other exam type. You're only curved against your smaller class, but I can see why some people would be upset. (For the record, it really didn't bother me.)

If you want to get an idea for when sections will be assigned, check last year's thread.

So just to be clear, you are only graded against those in your smaller section, i.e. those who took the closed book & essay exam are on their own curve. That's not too bad, it doesn't matter how hard or easy it is because you are competing against your class.

Anyone that does the research and finds out the info from last years thread gets a beer on me come August :D

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Gahh.. Can't wait to find out my section, and I skimmed through last year's thread and it looks like they had to wait until the end of July to find out their sections.

Also i saw a lot of people are getting their letters soon so good luck everybody!

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:29 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:So just to be clear, you are only graded against those in your smaller section, i.e. those who took the closed book & essay exam are on their own curve. That's not too bad, it doesn't matter how hard or easy it is because you are competing against your class.

Anyone that does the research and finds out the info from last years thread gets a beer on me come August :D

That's correct. So, not too bad in my opinion. Everyone in section 1 will have Jacobs for crim this year, so it will be closed book/all essay across the board for them. Come see me around November and I'll help you get ready for her exam. It's beatable if you know how to prepare.

I edited my original post, but we got section assignments July 23rd last year.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:So just to be clear, you are only graded against those in your smaller section, i.e. those who took the closed book & essay exam are on their own curve. That's not too bad, it doesn't matter how hard or easy it is because you are competing against your class.

That's correct. So, not too bad in my opinion. Everyone in section 1 will have Jacobs for crim this year, so it will be closed book/all essay across the board for them. Come see me around November and I'll help you get ready for her exam. It's beatable if you know how to prepare.

I edited my original post, but we got section assignments July 23rd last year.

Thanks I hope everybody @ UF is as awesome as you!

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I am 95% certain I'll be attending FSU but UF has a shot if I get in. I need to visit UF still though.

Aro5389

Postby Aro5389 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:

I am 95% certain I'll be attending FSU but UF has a shot if I get in. I need to visit UF still though.

Pretty sure based off numbers you're in.

prettyinpink02

Postby prettyinpink02 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:15 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Attention everyone having difficulty signing up for the FOOTBALL LOTTERY:

When I followed the instructions to sign up, it said my email address wasn't in the system, so I had to call the ticket office who input my name and email address into the system and said that I will be ready to sign up tomorrow (it takes overnight for the email address to update).

So if you are having problems, do this:
1. Call 352-375-4683
2. First menu press 8
3. Second menu press 2
4. Third menu press 2
5. You'll finally reach a CS rep. and just tell him you are a new student trying to register for the lottery and you tried to follow the instructions, but it wouldn't recognize your email address. He'll ask your name and your email address to update the account.
6. Wait until the following day and follow the instructions here:
http://www.gatorzone.com/tickets/students/?p=footb/new
7. You'll need to click "forgot password" and enter your email address and a password will be emailed to you.
8. Follow the rest of the directions.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I'll find out tomorrow if it really works :lol:

Just a reminder that everyone has until August to do this lol...still, I recommend we put it in the OP of the class of '14 topic.

No no no! Deadline is Friday, June 3rd at 5pm!

War Flamingo you should be able to purchase them now... I did what you did this morning and it let me!!!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:42 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
War Flamingo you should be able to purchase them now... I did what you did this morning and it let me!!!

Ok awesome! I'm actually going to wait until the end of May to enter the lottery so they don't have my money for so long lol

slvrsk8r

Postby slvrsk8r » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:46 pm

As to whether this batch could be acceptances, it seems to me that between the low numbers of applicants this year and the deadline extensions that they would take some higher lsats with lower gpas and some lower lsats with higher gpas in order to even out each other and keep their stats up too. Just my thoughts and wishful thinking. Hope we all get accepted

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:38 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:War Flamingo you should be able to purchase them now... I did what you did this morning and it let me!!!

By the way, I know you will be getting a ticket to go to the Gator Growl with me, RIGHT!?!?! :D

We better both win lottery tickets or I am going to be SUPER sad!

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:42 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:War Flamingo you should be able to purchase them now... I did what you did this morning and it let me!!!

By the way, I know you will be getting a ticket to go to the Gator Growl with me, RIGHT!?!?! :D

Heyy I know someone asked this before but I can't find it, how do we get our tickets to be in the law school section if we do end up getting tickets through the lottery? Thanks in advance!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:44 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

The only game I actually want to go to is FL/GA, but I'm entering the lottery for the sake of my husband-- BIGGEST gator fan evaaaa!! haha. If he gets put in the law school section somehow someway I trust you guys to show him a good time :)

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Awwww Barbie! The games are so much fun!!! Except the Tennessee game (or it's equivalent). That game is hot as BALLS and never fun to be at.

P.S. you can try to get a spouse ticket and then sell yours if you really want to

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:03 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Awwww Barbie! The games are so much fun!!! Except the Tennessee game (or it's equivalent). That game is hot as BALLS and never fun to be at.

P.S. you can try to get a spouse ticket and then sell yours if you really want to

yeahhhh do that and I'll buy it off of you if you win the lottery and I don't! :lol: but seriously...

Never heard of a spouse ticket. Remind me closer to the deadline and I'll enter haha :)

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:15 pm

FYI:
"Married students entering the lottery who wish to be able to purchase a season ticket for their spouses must provide a marriage certificate to the Gator Ticket Office by May 27, 2011 (MUST SUBMIT BEFORE ENTERING LOTTERY). Couples with marriage certificates on file by this date will also be eligible to purchase spouse tickets for all away games (including Georgia), Gator Growl and post-season play."

I really should send in my seat deposit...

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:19 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:FYI:
"Married students entering the lottery who wish to be able to purchase a season ticket for their spouses must provide a marriage certificate to the Gator Ticket Office by May 27, 2011 (MUST SUBMIT BEFORE ENTERING LOTTERY). Couples with marriage certificates on file by this date will also be eligible to purchase spouse tickets for all away games (including Georgia), Gator Growl and post-season play."

Oh hey! I think I just found my reason to come visit.. since I have to give them a copy of my marriage license and all :D :D :D

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Barbie wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:FYI:

Oh hey! I think I just found my reason to come visit.. since I have to give them a copy of my marriage license and all :D :D :D

DO IT. :mrgreen:
Does anyone know where you submit payment for the orientation?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Don't you need to worry about submitting your seat deposit first :D

And Barbie, I was totally going to ask if you could put your name in for me and I'll totally pay you the tickets so I get twice the odds! I'm sure you could cook up some favor lol

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Gator Growl?

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:55 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:Gator Growl?

DONT BUY GATOR GROWL TICKETS YET!
Last edited by PleaseHelpThanks on Thu May 19, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”