U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Moose Thompson
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Moose Thompson » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:10 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
GatorStudent wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:UF is perceived as the better school, and perception is really all that matters when looking for jobs even if they are both equal in terms of education. I turned down 24k from FSU because Gainesville is much more comfortable in my opinion. I'm from the suburbs though, so that could be why. Another reason is the COL. I did some preliminary apartment searches in tally and found that most of them were more expensive than the apartments I can find here. Thus, my scholarship would be spent subsidizing the higher COL and worth less. The library is much better at UF (and free printing!).

Some intangibles:
-I have never seen a more rabid fan base. Even if you don't really care for the Gators (I definitely didn't freshman year because I was butt hurt over my Penn rejection), you WILL by the end of your time here.
-Gainesville is located two hours from pretty much every major city: Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, even Tally. Only four hours from south Florida. It really makes a difference when you want to fly somewhere or go home if you're from sofla.
-We have an alligator living on campus. It impressed FeelTheHeat lol.


This is a minor point, but...free printing? IIRC, you only get free printing for the first 250 pages or so, and that's if you're willing to truck up to the Reitz Union on the main campus section of UF to get it. I've never heard of anyone really doing that. It costs ten cents per page to print right now, although it's not too big of a deal, as you can print out cases for free on the Westlaw or Lexis printers.


That's what I meant. I should have been more clear. The Reitz is nuts trying to print anything out.



I know I'm digging this up from pages back, but I just wanted to let you know that free printing is coming to the law campus. There are a lot of logistical moves taking place, and Dean Inman is trying to decide where the best place for the printers is, how they will be maintained, etc. They should be in place by the time classes start in fall.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Sweet! I hereby take back the clarification to my earlier post and revert it back to its previous amount of ambiguity.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 pm

1Ls- Do you have a list of permanent employers for a recent class of graduated students or a list of summer employers for the c/o 2012? I would really like to see this, as I just received Tulane's and am actually impressed. It would be great to compare! :D

kovolev
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kovolev » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Deposit paid, I'll see y'all (I'm trying to unlearn my Canadian accent) in a few months!

LevinAlum
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:30 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LevinAlum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Barbie wrote:1Ls- Do you have a list of permanent employers for a recent class of graduated students or a list of summer employers for the c/o 2012? I would really like to see this, as I just received Tulane's and am actually impressed. It would be great to compare! :D


If you go to the NALP website at http://www.NALP.org, you can search by school to see which NALP-member law firms conduct on-campus interviews at a certain school. Of course, NALP membership primarily consists of larger law firms, but it may be of interest to you nonetheless.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:03 pm

LevinAlum wrote:
Barbie wrote:1Ls- Do you have a list of permanent employers for a recent class of graduated students or a list of summer employers for the c/o 2012? I would really like to see this, as I just received Tulane's and am actually impressed. It would be great to compare! :D


If you go to the NALP website at http://www.NALP.org, you can search by school to see which NALP-member law firms conduct on-campus interviews at a certain school. Of course, NALP membership primarily consists of larger law firms, but it may be of interest to you nonetheless.


Thanks! Now if only I could figure out how to work the website haha.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:53 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:I know I'm digging this up from pages back, but I just wanted to let you know that free printing is coming to the law campus. There are a lot of logistical moves taking place, and Dean Inman is trying to decide where the best place for the printers is, how they will be maintained, etc. They should be in place by the time classes start in fall.


Pardon my skepticism, but I'll believe that when I see it. It would be nice, though!

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:00 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Moose Thompson
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Moose Thompson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:38 am

I guess we'll see in the fall. Tyler Yonge worked on it over the last year as a student senator. Dean Inman said as much at the town hall last week. She said they are working out the logistics before they install the printers. They will likely be upstairs, near the office that currently houses the CCD.

It will still be limited to 250 pages, but it's better than nothing.

ManageDamage
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:19 am

Nova or FIU?

(FIU will cost me roughly 8k more a year.)

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:30 am

ManageDamage wrote:Nova or FIU?

(FIU will cost me roughly 8k more a year.)


IMO FIU>>>>>>Nova
But you can always ask the experts :lol: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123722

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:32 am

Barbie, ya gotta find the original topic :)

But TCR is FIU.

ManageDamage
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:47 am

TCR?

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 am

The correct response, broski

ManageDamage
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:52 am

How regional is FIU though? Will I be limited to nothing north of say Martin/Palm Beach county? I'm just a little worried about FIU since they've only been accredited since 06'. They can't have much of an alumni base.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 am

j
Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 am

ManageDamage wrote:How regional is FIU though? Will I be limited to nothing north of say Martin/Palm Beach county? I'm just a little worried about FIU since they've only been accredited since 06'. They can't have much of an alumni base.


Wrong thread, brotha. Make a new one.

ofthehouse
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ofthehouse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:57 pm

So my application changed to no decision reached on friday and this morning "Seat Deposit" and "Orientation Fee" popped up in the application status.. Does anyone know if I could take this as a good sign or do they basically do this for all applicants?

Sorry if this was brought up before, I was wondering if there was anyone that had gotten rejected and still had those 2 fees listed.

User avatar
amarkonthedoor
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby amarkonthedoor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 pm

ofthehouse wrote:So my application changed to no decision reached on friday and this morning "Seat Deposit" and "Orientation Fee" popped up in the application status.. Does anyone know if I could take this as a good sign or do they basically do this for all applicants?

Sorry if this was brought up before, I was wondering if there was anyone that had gotten rejected and still had those 2 fees listed.


I've been 'no decision reached' since January 7th and the seat deposit and orientation fee things have been there this whole time...I'm pretty sure it's just something they do on everyone's file.

orioles88
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby orioles88 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:31 pm

amarkonthedoor wrote:
ofthehouse wrote:So my application changed to no decision reached on friday and this morning "Seat Deposit" and "Orientation Fee" popped up in the application status.. Does anyone know if I could take this as a good sign or do they basically do this for all applicants?

Sorry if this was brought up before, I was wondering if there was anyone that had gotten rejected and still had those 2 fees listed.


I've been 'no decision reached' since January 7th and the seat deposit and orientation fee things have been there this whole time...I'm pretty sure it's just something they do on everyone's file.


+1

User avatar
Skipper2014
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:46 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Skipper2014 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Current Status: File reviewed, no decision reached
Current Status Date: 4/4/2011

FMLLLLLL.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Is anyone going to the April 15th ASD?

(Also, hang in there, y'all on the No Decision Reached list! My acceptance came in a mixed batch after being on hold FOREVER!)

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Should be there, Thursday night I hope to get an FSU ASD pt. II :D

GatorStudent
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby GatorStudent » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:27 pm

mistergoft wrote:
GatorStudent wrote:Yeah, also skeptical.

You get free printing if you make it onto a journal, though...


Although do keep in mind that technically you're only supposed to print Journal-related things on those printers! :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mccracal, mm2368, Solidfood, Zoe107 and 9 guests