U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:UF is perceived as the better school, and perception is really all that matters when looking for jobs even if they are both equal in terms of education. I turned down 24k from FSU because Gainesville is much more comfortable in my opinion. I'm from the suburbs though, so that could be why. Another reason is the COL. I did some preliminary apartment searches in tally and found that most of them were more expensive than the apartments I can find here. Thus, my scholarship would be spent subsidizing the higher COL and worth less. The library is much better at UF (and free printing!).

Some intangibles:
-I have never seen a more rabid fan base. Even if you don't really care for the Gators (I definitely didn't freshman year because I was butt hurt over my Penn rejection), you WILL by the end of your time here.
-Gainesville is located two hours from pretty much every major city: Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, even Tally. Only four hours from south Florida. It really makes a difference when you want to fly somewhere or go home if you're from sofla.
-We have an alligator living on campus. It impressed FeelTheHeat lol.

This is a minor point, but...free printing? IIRC, you only get free printing for the first 250 pages or so, and that's if you're willing to truck up to the Reitz Union on the main campus section of UF to get it. I've never heard of anyone really doing that. It costs ten cents per page to print right now, although it's not too big of a deal, as you can print out cases for free on the Westlaw or Lexis printers.

That's what I meant. I should have been more clear. The Reitz is nuts trying to print anything out.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:52 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote::( I need a roommate.... I try not to spam too much! :(

I think the spamming is more the people who aren't actually going to be law students and are trying to sell housing to us.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Friday night = definitly have to work. If by some crazy miracle I'm not scheduled I'll be there :)

I'm srsly thinking about going again, I just want to visit! I have a lot of friends in Gville and I loved Levin so I might head up and do different stuff than I did before.

I can't believe you didn't hang with us the first time!!

haha yeah I'm pretty out of the loop I wish I knew you guys were getting together!

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
That's what I meant. I should have been more clear. The Reitz is nuts trying to print anything out.

I see. Also, one doesn't need as much printing as you would think.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:04 am

meh. It was a perk. I figured I'd mention it. I think I've used about ten pages of my 250 a semester limit in my four years here.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:07 am

pinkcamellia wrote:Y'all's arguments are too compelling - I think I have to give in!

Well, this may have been overlooked but I for one would like to say congratulations. I think you are definitely making the right choice.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:Y'all's arguments are too compelling - I think I have to give in!

Well, this may have been overlooked but I for one would like to say congratulations. I think you are definitely making the right choice.

+1000000000!!! Congrats!!!

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:meh. It was a perk. I figured I'd mention it. I think I've used about ten pages of my 250 a semester limit in my four years here.

Biochemistry alone took all 250 of my pages in one day

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 am

ouch. That's what you get for taking "hard" sciences. :wink:

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:ouch. That's what you get for taking "hard" sciences. :wink:

I suppose... I wouldn't go to that print lab again they only let you print out like 5 pages at a time and its a freaking zoo, really hot and packed like cattle, wasn't worth it.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:15 am

So wondering, are there any people still waiting, are there any current batches out in the mail and how close to full do you guys think they are at this point?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:15 am

Neurotic, my gf mocked me ceaselessly when I said I was looking at scooters (doesn't help her ex had a motorcycle lol) that idea is going out the window quickly

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:18 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Neurotic, my gf mocked me ceaselessly when I said I was looking at scooters (doesn't help her ex had a motorcycle lol) that idea is going out the window quickly

I was considering one, all the people I know with one love them. They are a bit pricey though, might just get a nice bicycle instead. Really the decision hinges upon where I end up living.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am

I know a few people still waiting. I wonder how many more acceptances they are going to send out with such a late deposit deadline.

Heat, you should mention to your g/f that even the football players use scooters here. Don't let her mock you! P.S. I kinda want to get a motorcycle heh, but haven't gotten a license yet.

Gmen, there is a scooter direct website that sells them really cheap (from cali). --LinkRemoved--

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:22 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

+1000000000!!! Congrats!!!

<3 Thanks y'all! I think we will have an awesome class!

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:23 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I know a few people still waiting. I wonder how many more acceptances they are going to send out with such a late deposit deadline.

Heat, you should mention to your g/f that even the football players use scooters here. Don't let her mock you! P.S. I kinda want to get a motorcycle heh, but haven't gotten a license yet.

Gmen, there is a scooter direct website that sells them really cheap (from cali). --LinkRemoved--

Yeah, I saw Tim Tebow many times buzzing along on his scooter, even heard him singing loudly leaving dinner swerving side to side from one of the on campus dining places. I've actually had several funny encounters with athletes and their scooters.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:23 am

Motorcycles scare the shit out of me...first hand experience with some bad stuff.

The scooters are pretty cheap, though. Less then $1000 for a pretty good one. Besides, I'm not trying to impress anyone anyways lol

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 am

If one of y'all gets a scooter, promise me that I can ride it once? I've always wanted to ride one for some odd reason...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:27 am

lmao, sure. I drove one for the first time this year. They're pretty fun :)

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:28 am

gmen42 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:I know a few people still waiting. I wonder how many more acceptances they are going to send out with such a late deposit deadline.

Yeah, I saw Tim Tebow many times buzzing along on his scooter, even heard him singing loudly leaving dinner swerving side to side from one of the on campus dining places. I've actually had several funny encounters with athletes and their scooters.

That website has some pretty good deals, thanks for it, I might actually get one.

Light

Postby Light » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
Light wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Light wrote:The UF deposit is due tommorow, I'm deciding where or not I want to go here or Emory. Got 36k at UF but 81k at Emory (although UF would still be cheaper). Ugh so stressful..I wish I could make this decision later :x

I thought it wasnt due for .... quite a while.. ?

No, the deadline for scholarship acceptance is tomorrow..I have an email telling me to respond by then. UF's acceptance policy says by accepting their offer we must withdraw applications elsewhere. This is most unfortunate..It's simply too early to make a decision - I haven't even heard back from NYU yet and am still waitlisted at like 7 places. It's not putting down the money that's bad, it's the risk of jeopardizing my admissions elsewhere.

No, it says withdraw acceptances, you can keep pending applications and stay on waitlists. Honestly, if you're torn between two schools, just double deposit. I'm still holding onto one of my acceptances, they'll never know. Do what's in your best interest.

I understand I don't have to withdraw my waitlisted places since I'm not admitted at those places. However, it does say to withdraw from schools you are accepted at at UF - I'm not sure if all schools tell you to do that. Also according to the LSAC website some schools will find out about multiple deposits:

LSAC wrote:Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

link: http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

I plan on holding on to this acceptance and if I'll decline I'll do it before the acceptance date at the other admitted law school, or else hang on.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:34 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote::( I need a roommate.... I try not to spam too much! :(

no no no not you.. I'm talking about the people that aren't in this class like the 2L's and 3Ls or people not even in the law school.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:43 am

Light wrote:
I understand I don't have to withdraw my waitlisted places since I'm not admitted at those places. However, it does say to withdraw from schools you are accepted at at UF - I'm not sure if all schools tell you to do that. Also according to the LSAC website some schools will find out about multiple deposits:

LSAC wrote:Multiple-Deposit Notification
Each year, LSAC provides participating law schools with periodic reports detailing the number of applicants who have submitted seat deposits or commitments at other participating schools, along with identification of those other schools. Beginning May 15 each year, these reports now also include the names and LSAC account numbers for all candidates who have deposits/commitments at multiple participating schools.

link: http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

I plan on holding on to this acceptance and if I'll decline I'll do it before the acceptance date at the other admitted law school, or else hang on.

Sorry, when I said "they'll never know", I was talking about they'll never know if you don't withdraw from your other acceptances (if you don't deposit at them yet), but yeah they'll definitely find out about double deposits on May 15th if they participate in the report which UF most likely does. If you're going to double deposit, just withdraw from one of them by May 15th and you should be fine. I doubt a school would rescind their offer, they will most likely just call you up and say, "hey, so which school are you picking, dude?"

If a person needs more time to decide, then just double deposit or call up UF and talk to them about it. Dean Jerry is awesome, so I'm sure he will be more than happy to discuss your concerns with you.

Skipper2014

Postby Skipper2014 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:05 am

gmen42 wrote:So wondering, are there any people still waiting, are there any current batches out in the mail and how close to full do you guys think they are at this point?

Still waiting...went under review today so I'm crossing my fingers. From what I've gathered though...applying late puts you at a pretty big disadvantage at UF.

gotcha

Postby gotcha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 am

gmen42 wrote:So wondering, are there any people still waiting, are there any current batches out in the mail and how close to full do you guys think they are at this point?

I'm still waiting but I don't know how much I care at this point. In at Emory with $$$ so unless UF decides to educate me for the price of on-the-house, I doubt I will attend. Sad really, since I've been a die hard Gator for years now...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”