U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Deuce wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm going to be too fucking poor for anything but chicken and rice

Learn the bar specials and you will be golden. $2 cheeseburgers weds/Mother's fri/Gator City, $3.50 10 wings at Swamp/Mother's monday, and all food half off during happy hour always at Salty.

+1. There is CHEAP food to be found in Gainesville. (yes, I just double posted. sorry)

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Light wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Light wrote:The UF deposit is due tommorow, I'm deciding where or not I want to go here or Emory. Got 36k at UF but 81k at Emory (although UF would still be cheaper). Ugh so stressful..I wish I could make this decision later :x

I thought it wasnt due for .... quite a while.. ?

No, the deadline for scholarship acceptance is tomorrow..I have an email telling me to respond by then. UF's acceptance policy says by accepting their offer we must withdraw applications elsewhere. This is most unfortunate..It's simply too early to make a decision - I haven't even heard back from NYU yet and am still waitlisted at like 7 places. It's not putting down the money that's bad, it's the risk of jeopardizing my admissions elsewhere.

No, it says withdraw acceptances, you can keep pending applications and stay on waitlists. Honestly, if you're torn between two schools, just double deposit. I'm still holding onto one of my acceptances, they'll never know. Do what's in your best interest.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:UF is perceived as the better school, and perception is really all that matters when looking for jobs even if they are both equal in terms of education. I turned down 24k from FSU because Gainesville is much more comfortable in my opinion. I'm from the suburbs though, so that could be why. Another reason is the COL. I did some preliminary apartment searches in tally and found that most of them were more expensive than the apartments I can find here. Thus, my scholarship would be spent subsidizing the higher COL and worth less. The library is much better at UF (and free printing!).

Some intangibles:
-I have never seen a more rabid fan base. Even if you don't really care for the Gators (I definitely didn't freshman year because I was butt hurt over my Penn rejection), you WILL by the end of your time here.
-Gainesville is located two hours from pretty much every major city: Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, even Tally. Only four hours from south Florida. It really makes a difference when you want to fly somewhere or go home if you're from sofla.
-We have an alligator living on campus. It impressed FeelTheHeat lol.

Preach it lol

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm

There's an alligator living on campus?

SOLD!

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:There's an alligator living on campus?

More than one... I almost had a drunken encounter freshman year.... no bueno :lol:

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 pm

yes! wait... there's more than the one living in graham pond? Regardless, he's my favorite :)

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:55 pm

I may have said this earlier, but that alligator scares the hell out of me.

I'm stumbling home drunk after a long night out and HOLY SHIT THAT IS A LIVE ALLIGATOR

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I may have said this earlier, but that alligator scares the hell out of me.

I'm stumbling home drunk after a long night out and HOLY SHIT THAT IS A LIVE ALLIGATOR

You had a long night out ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:I may have said this earlier, but that alligator scares the hell out of me.

You had a long night out ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately no lol, I'm saving that for ASD

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:yes! wait... there's more than the one living in graham pond? Regardless, he's my favorite :)

Lived in Trusler freshman year. Stumbled home, saw him, and yelled at him. To be fair, I thought he was talking shit to me.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:00 pm

Although I must say, FSU's ASD will be difficult to match :D

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 pm

Deuce wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:yes! wait... there's more than the one living in graham pond? Regardless, he's my favorite :)

Lived in Trusler freshman year. Stumbled home, saw him, and yelled at him. To be fair, I thought he was talking shit to me.

haha! Yeah, I think my roommate and I named him one night coming home from XS.

EDIT: also, who is going to the ASD on the 15th? Barbie, you'd better be in town!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:14 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Deuce wrote:

EDIT: also, who is going to the ASD on the 15th? Barbie, you'd better be in town!

Friday night = definitly have to work. If by some crazy miracle I'm not scheduled I'll be there :)

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:22 pm

Y'all's arguments are too compelling - I think I have to give in!

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:23 pm

Barbie wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Friday night = definitly have to work. If by some crazy miracle I'm not scheduled I'll be there :)

I'm srsly thinking about going again, I just want to visit! I have a lot of friends in Gville and I loved Levin so I might head up and do different stuff than I did before.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:27 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I'm srsly thinking about going again, I just want to visit! I have a lot of friends in Gville and I loved Levin so I might head up and do different stuff than I did before.

I can't believe you didn't hang with us the first time!!

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 pm

Alright this has gone on long enough UF give me a scholarship or GTFO.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:33 pm

People need to stop spamming out facebook page. What part of the UF Law Class of 2014 do people not get lol

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:34 pm

The gator in Graham is awesome, walked by him every day freshman year. I think everyone has named him something at some point.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 pm

hurricane10 wrote:People need to stop spamming out facebook page. What part of the UF Law Class of 2014 do people not get lol

Seriously it's not craigslist

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 pm

hurricane10 wrote:People need to stop spamming out facebook page. What part of the UF Law Class of 2014 do people not get lol

They just want some roommates! haha. By the way, it slightly annoys me I dont know who you are in the group :evil:

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:44 pm

Barbie wrote:

They just want some roommates! haha. By the way, it slightly annoys me I dont know who you are in the group :evil:

QFbeingthecrazystalkerinthegroup

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 pm

:( I need a roommate.... I try not to spam too much! :(

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:49 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:UF is perceived as the better school, and perception is really all that matters when looking for jobs even if they are both equal in terms of education. I turned down 24k from FSU because Gainesville is much more comfortable in my opinion. I'm from the suburbs though, so that could be why. Another reason is the COL. I did some preliminary apartment searches in tally and found that most of them were more expensive than the apartments I can find here. Thus, my scholarship would be spent subsidizing the higher COL and worth less. The library is much better at UF (and free printing!).

Some intangibles:
-I have never seen a more rabid fan base. Even if you don't really care for the Gators (I definitely didn't freshman year because I was butt hurt over my Penn rejection), you WILL by the end of your time here.
-Gainesville is located two hours from pretty much every major city: Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, even Tally. Only four hours from south Florida. It really makes a difference when you want to fly somewhere or go home if you're from sofla.

This is a minor point, but...free printing? IIRC, you only get free printing for the first 250 pages or so, and that's if you're willing to truck up to the Reitz Union on the main campus section of UF to get it. I've never heard of anyone really doing that. It costs ten cents per page to print right now, although it's not too big of a deal, as you can print out cases for free on the Westlaw or Lexis printers.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:50 pm

GatorStudent wrote:

Some intangibles:

This is a minor point, but...free printing? IIRC, you only get free printing for the first 250 pages or so, and that's if you're willing to truck up to the Reitz Union on the main campus section of UF to get it. I've never heard of anyone really doing that. It costs ten cents per page to print right now, although it's not too big of a deal, as you can print out cases for free on the Westlaw or Lexis printers.

I've printed out many notes for free at the Reitz but it gets to be a mad house.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”