U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:08 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:OMG I just went to the mail box, and UF pimped my ride! Need-Based grant FTW!

P.S. It's above 5k, below 12k, sorry, I won't say specifics /:

I feel like I just hit the lottery :D

Go Gators!


Nice!! Now I can't wait to check my mail

Does your grant show up on the ISIS thingy?


Not for me


Cool thanks for letting me know

PleaseHelpThanks
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:11 pm

ns77770 wrote:
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
PleaseHelpThanks wrote:OMG I just went to the mail box, and UF pimped my ride! Need-Based grant FTW!

P.S. It's above 5k, below 12k, sorry, I won't say specifics /:

I feel like I just hit the lottery :D

Go Gators!


Nice!! Now I can't wait to check my mail

Does your grant show up on the ISIS thingy?


Not for me


Cool thanks for letting me know


Np, I'm so happy right now I would work for free in Japan... ok, maybe not that. But I'm down for helping others!

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:14 pm

Where do you live? I'm trying to estimate mail time, and when was it postmarked? Congrats!!!!

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Where do you live? I'm trying to estimate mail time, and when was it postmarked? Congrats!!!!


Also, if you remember do you think you can check the ISIS after 5:30 and tell us if it is posted on there? I remember that it is updated @ 5:30 everyday.


Additionally, wtf is up with this weather my central fl people??? I'm going to have to expose myself to hail and many other things to check my mail...

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby minuit » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:21 pm

tornadoes!!!

PleaseHelpThanks
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:48 pm

ns77770 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Where do you live? I'm trying to estimate mail time, and when was it postmarked? Congrats!!!!


Also, if you remember do you think you can check the ISIS after 5:30 and tell us if it is posted on there? I remember that it is updated @ 5:30 everyday.


Additionally, wtf is up with this weather my central fl people??? I'm going to have to expose myself to hail and many other things to check my mail...


Postmarked Mar 29, I live in Sofla, and I will check ISIS later tonight and post results on here.

Good luck everyone!

PleaseHelpThanks
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:13 pm

I just checked ISIS and it says "You currently have no financial aid awards for the 2011-2012 award year.
(Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Summer 2012)."

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:I just checked ISIS and it says "You currently have no financial aid awards for the 2011-2012 award year.
(Fall 2011, Spring 2012, Summer 2012)."


Thanks for checking, that still gives me hope my letter is coming tomorrow...

spets
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby spets » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:33 pm

Withdrew - hopefully someone here gets the 24K :)

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:42 pm

Ahh I had nothing in my mail today. This breaks my HEART! I'm so broke, but they ask what kind of car you have and considering I have a sweet new ride it might have made me look better off than I am :( </3 </3 </3

User avatar
Light
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Light » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 pm

The UF deposit is due tommorow, I'm deciding where or not I want to go here or Emory. Got 36k at UF but 81k at Emory (although UF would still be cheaper). Ugh so stressful..I wish I could make this decision later :x

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:23 pm

Light wrote:The UF deposit is due tommorow, I'm deciding where or not I want to go here or Emory. Got 36k at UF but 81k at Emory (although UF would still be cheaper). Ugh so stressful..I wish I could make this decision later :x


I thought it wasnt due for .... quite a while.. ?

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Barbie(or another fine Gator!) - can you please convince me to go to UF over FSU $? It seems like it worked for FeelTheHeat. I'm so torn right now. I got my FSU deadline extended to April 15th, but that's when UF's ASD is. I've been to Tally once, and just passed through Gainesville. Please help? :?:

User avatar
Light
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Light » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Barbie wrote:
Light wrote:The UF deposit is due tommorow, I'm deciding where or not I want to go here or Emory. Got 36k at UF but 81k at Emory (although UF would still be cheaper). Ugh so stressful..I wish I could make this decision later :x


I thought it wasnt due for .... quite a while.. ?


No, the deadline for scholarship acceptance is tomorrow..I have an email telling me to respond by then. UF's acceptance policy says by accepting their offer we must withdraw applications elsewhere. This is most unfortunate..It's simply too early to make a decision - I haven't even heard back from NYU yet and am still waitlisted at like 7 places. It's not putting down the money that's bad, it's the risk of jeopardizing my admissions elsewhere.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:51 pm

Light wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Light wrote:The UF deposit is due tommorow, I'm deciding where or not I want to go here or Emory. Got 36k at UF but 81k at Emory (although UF would still be cheaper). Ugh so stressful..I wish I could make this decision later :x


I thought it wasnt due for .... quite a while.. ?


No, the deadline for scholarship acceptance is tomorrow..I have an email telling me to respond by then. UF's acceptance policy says by accepting their offer we must withdraw applications elsewhere. This is most unfortunate..It's simply too early to make a decision - I haven't even heard back from NYU yet and am still waitlisted at like 7 places. It's not putting down the money that's bad, it's the risk of jeopardizing my admissions elsewhere.


They won't let you keep pending applications out there? Ouch.

User avatar
Light
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Light » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:Barbie(or another fine Gator!) - can you please convince me to go to UF over FSU $? It seems like it worked for FeelTheHeat. I'm so torn right now. I got my FSU deadline extended to April 15th, but that's when UF's ASD is. I've been to Tally once, and just passed through Gainesville. Please help? :?:


I'm an FSU undergrad but I would go to UF over FSU. I've been given 51k at FSU and 36k at UF but it looks like UF has a stronger reach to schools in Florida and is considered the best in the state. Moreover, all the statistics I've seen have UF grads making higher starting salaries than FSU grads. So even though FSU tends to be more generous with money, going to UF might be the better investment. These salaries are for the private sector. Both of the schools probably have limited reach outside of Florida. However, it depends what you want to do. FSU has a good environmental law program and UF has a very good tax law program. So we need more specifics before you can just say one is better than the other for you.
Tally is a fine place and I'm told it's more happening than Gainesville - but I don't party much at all and I've only been to Gainesville once or so and didn't see much.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 pm

Go to UF. End of story lol

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby pinkcamellia » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 pm

Light wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:Barbie(or another fine Gator!) - can you please convince me to go to UF over FSU $? It seems like it worked for FeelTheHeat. I'm so torn right now. I got my FSU deadline extended to April 15th, but that's when UF's ASD is. I've been to Tally once, and just passed through Gainesville. Please help? :?:


I'm an FSU undergrad but I would go to UF over FSU. I've been given 51k at FSU and 36k at UF but it looks like UF has a stronger reach to schools in Florida and is considered the best in the state. Moreover, all the statistics I've seen have UF grads making higher starting salaries than FSU grads. So even though FSU tends to be more generous with money, going to UF might be the better investment. These salaries are for the private sector. Both of the schools probably have limited reach outside of Florida. However, it depends what you want to do. FSU has a good environmental law program and UF has a very good tax law program. So we need more specifics before you can just say one is better than the other for you.
Tally is a fine place and I'm told it's more happening than Gainesville - but I don't party much at all and I've only been to Gainesville once or so and didn't see much.


Well the $ at FSU aren't substantial, but even though I've gotten into many reaches, I haven't gotten much in the way of money. So, it's nice to be shown a little love. I'm not into tax or environmental - I'd like a midlaw/small firm job and I'm open to anywhere but Orlando. I'm currently at Alabama, which I love, and I've heard Gville is similar in some ways, which would be a comfort. I'm not a party girl but I do like to watch football/hang out on the weekends, and my fiance and I love good food, so a combo of that would be great.

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Mattfl88 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:20 pm

I think Tallahassee has the definite edge when it comes to food. It has the combination of college students, young professionals, and older professional residents, thus a variety of food options ranging from cheap college pizza joints to upscale lounges and restaurants. From my experiences (and I may be wrong) Gainesville has mostly the cheap restaurants with not as much quality food. Also, speaking from my experiences, Gainesville has more of a party scene than Tallahassee. While Tallahassee does have a huge party scene there are many other options and quiet areas of town. Again, I think my experiences in Gainesville have been limited as I've always just been visiting my UG friends so I hope someone can clarify if I have been misguided.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Man, really? All yall need to know about food is that you can get BENTO DELIVERED. /game.

User avatar
Mattfl88
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Mattfl88 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:29 pm

Barbie wrote:Man, really? All yall need to know about food is that you can get BENTO DELIVERED. /game.


Never even heard of that place but after a quick google search, it looks like I'm going to be making a trip to the downtown Orlando location.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm going to be too fucking poor for anything but chicken and rice

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:34 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm going to be too fucking poor for anything but chicken and rice


Bahaha you do know thats pretty much all there is on Bentos menu?? Its really cheap too. AND AMAZING!

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Deuce » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:34 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm going to be too fucking poor for anything but chicken and rice


Learn the bar specials and you will be golden. $2 cheeseburgers weds/Mother's fri/Gator City, $3.50 10 wings at Swamp/Mother's monday, and all food half off during happy hour always at Salty.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:36 pm

UF is perceived as the better school, and perception is really all that matters when looking for jobs even if they are both equal in terms of education. I turned down 24k from FSU because Gainesville is much more comfortable in my opinion. I'm from the suburbs though, so that could be why. Another reason is the COL. I did some preliminary apartment searches in tally and found that most of them were more expensive than the apartments I can find here. Thus, my scholarship would be spent subsidizing the higher COL and worth less. The library is much better at UF (and free printing!).

Some intangibles:
-I have never seen a more rabid fan base. Even if you don't really care for the Gators (I definitely didn't freshman year because I was butt hurt over my Penn rejection), you WILL by the end of your time here.
-Gainesville is located two hours from pretty much every major city: Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville, even Tally. Only four hours from south Florida. It really makes a difference when you want to fly somewhere or go home if you're from sofla.
-We have an alligator living on campus. It impressed FeelTheHeat lol.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., blahblah123, cyclawps, JazzyMac, potatocowpower and 13 guests