U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wbbguy

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby wbbguy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Barbie wrote:
gmen42 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Barbie wrote:I'm moving to... NW 34th street about 1.5 miles down from the law school. Good neighborhood or bad?

Down near Archer it's mostly college kids, so I vote good.

Near archer is very convenient I live there now. Less convenient for the bars though....

I don't even know what street archer is lol, but I think I live in the other direction. I dont think where I'm living is very collegy. Theyre like 4 bedroom houses. 4 Engineering students live there now, though, so its a posibility...

You'll get to know all these streets very well once you get here. NW 34th st (around westside park) is a nice area; like i mentioned, there are bad spots mixed in with the nice spots, but you can easily tell once you see the neighborhood and the surrounding area in person. For a law school student, I would avoid living on Archer and instead choose nearer to University (or along Newberry Road, which is the same road as University just named different as it continues west) or 34th street.

I live in the College Park (right near the University and 13th street intersection) area right now; perfect housing for students imo. Rent ranges anywhere from $400 studios to $750 2/2 condos with great amenities. What is best about this area is the proximity: you are close to UF main campus (and its free gyms for students), you are literally walking distance from mid-town (a popular area with restaurants and some bars, post office), and you are very close to the downtown scene. Wal-Mart/Publix is within a mile or two, and the law school is a 10 minute bike ride away. The football stadium and O'Connell center are both walking distance away. For student life, this is a prime area.

If you are looking to raise a family, I'd go further away from the school and into the more family oriented neighborhoods.

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:16 pm

About to leave campus, and I can honestly say I'm afraid to go home and check my mailbox

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:17 pm

wbbguy wrote:You'll get to know all these streets very well once you get here. NW 34th st (around westside park) is a nice area; like i mentioned, there are bad spots mixed in with the nice spots, but you can easily tell once you see the neighborhood and the surrounding area in person. For a law school student, I would avoid living on Archer and instead choose nearer to University (or along Newberry Road, which is the same road as University just named different as it continues west) or 34th street.

I live in the College Park (right near the University and 13th street intersection) area right now; perfect housing for students imo. Rent ranges anywhere from $400 studios to $750 2/2 condos with great amenities. What is best about this area is the proximity: you are close to UF main campus (and its free gyms for students), you are literally walking distance from mid-town (a popular area with restaurants and some bars, post office), and you are very close to the downtown scene. Wal-Mart/Publix is within a mile or two, and the law school is a 10 minute bike ride away. The football stadium and O'Connell center are both walking distance away. For student life, this is a prime area.

If you are looking to raise a family, I'd go further away from the school and into the more family oriented neighborhoods.

Yeah mines 1.7 miles from the law school but only takes me like 4-5 minutes by car because its not on the busy side. I saw the area twice, and its not IN a neighborhood because its on a good bit of land, neighbors are pretty far away. Like I've said a million times, anyone attending who wants to will see it when I throw my first big party in August :) I like it a bit farther from all those places because my husband isn't in college anymore and we have 3 animals. I am a little jealous about the being able to walk to midtown part though!!

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:18 pm

gmen42 wrote:I'm in 3 more years in Gainesville for me!!! :D

Congrats! That's great!

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Barbie wrote:
gmen42 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Barbie wrote:I'm moving to... NW 34th street about 1.5 miles down from the law school. Good neighborhood or bad?

Down near Archer it's mostly college kids, so I vote good.

Near archer is very convenient I live there now. Less convenient for the bars though....

I don't even know what street archer is lol, but I think I live in the other direction. I dont think where I'm living is very collegy. Theyre like 4 bedroom houses. 4 Engineering students live there now, though, so its a posibility...

Oh, you live the opposite direction? That's a nice neighborhood, bunch of houses, nice park, a little school. In that case, you probably live pretty close to me.

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Lili305 wrote:

Congrats! That's great!

So the acceptance Is indeed a 8x11 packet? And not an envelope

wbbguy

Postby wbbguy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 pm

From the sounds of it you should nearly halfway between University Ave. and Archer. Archer has a bunch of publixes, walmart, target, chain type restaurants(Chilis, Outback etc..) University mainly has bars and smallish non-chain restaurants. Not a bad location.

Between Archer and University runs SW 34th (that is, 34th street runs North to South. University runs East to West.). South of University Ave, 34th St is titled 'SW 34th St' and North of University Ave, you have 'NW 34th St'. SW 34th St, from university, leads to Archer. NW 34th St from University leads to 8th Ave and beyond.

SW 34th is a 'student zone' whereas NW 34th is a 'family zone'. I'm making up those terms, but they are accurate in that SW 34th has housing and amenities geared for the college students; its dense with chain restaurants, stores and housing. NW 34th is more family-oriented housing, is less dense in terms of stores and housing, and has imo a nicer feel to it. It is a college town, so students are living practically everywhere, and certainly no area is restricted. Visit the area and you'll see what I mean, though
Last edited by wbbguy on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:25 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:
Lili305 wrote:

Congrats! That's great!

Yeah packet, I checked the mail a bunch today and decided I'd go into my apartment's office, they just got the mail and asked if I was looking for something specific. I told them hopefully a package and sure enough one of them was like "it looks like we got an acceptance letter from UF law is that for you?". Needless to say I walked out of the building grinning like a fiend, I hope you get an acceptance letter as well, it seems like no ones getting rejections today, I'm assuming they mailed out rejections together then acceptances together.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:27 pm

Can't even start celebrating, off to my 4:00 double block class ....

volleyballer

Postby volleyballer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi all :) first post on this website for me...

So my status went to LIT today and also on the uf id website when I enter my ss # and dob I have a uf id... I was wondering if anyone knows if they assign all applicants a uf id number? Is this a good sign?! Im so afraid to get my hopes up...

Also, when I enter my info in the seat deposit website.
. Something strange happens.. its like I can see the next page for a quick second (to make a payment) and then it goes back to the log in...

This guessing game may be the death of me haha

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:32 pm

volleyballer wrote:Hi all :) first post on this website for me...

So my status went to LIT today and also on the uf id website when I enter my ss # and dob I have a uf id... I was wondering if anyone knows if they assign all applicants a uf id number? Is this a good sign?! Im so afraid to get my hopes up...

. Something strange happens.. its like I can see the next page for a quick second (to make a payment) and then it goes back to the log in...

I think youre the first to go LIT today so I have no idea. What are your #s?

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:33 pm

gmen42 wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:
Lili305 wrote:

Congrats! That's great!

Yeah packet, I checked the mail a bunch today and decided I'd go into my apartment's office, they just got the mail and asked if I was looking for something specific. I told them hopefully a package and sure enough one of them was like "it looks like we got an acceptance letter from UF law is that for you?". Needless to say I walked out of the building grinning like a fiend, I hope you get an acceptance letter as well, it seems like no ones getting rejections today, I'm assuming they mailed out rejections together then acceptances together.

Thanks...just had my roomate check, still no mail...ahhhh!!!!

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:34 pm

volleyballer wrote:Hi all :) first post on this website for me...

I'm LIT with you...stats?

volleyballer

Postby volleyballer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:37 pm

160/3.5...

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Me too, OOS...Good luck!

volleyballer

Postby volleyballer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:44 pm

You too!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Barbie wrote:
wbbguy wrote:You'll get to know all these streets very well once you get here. NW 34th st (around westside park) is a nice area; like i mentioned, there are bad spots mixed in with the nice spots, but you can easily tell once you see the neighborhood and the surrounding area in person. For a law school student, I would avoid living on Archer and instead choose nearer to University (or along Newberry Road, which is the same road as University just named different as it continues west) or 34th street.

Yeah mines 1.7 miles from the law school but only takes me like 4-5 minutes by car because its not on the busy side. I saw the area twice, and its not IN a neighborhood because its on a good bit of land, neighbors are pretty far away. Like I've said a million times, anyone attending who wants to will see it when I throw my first big party in August :) I like it a bit farther from all those places because my husband isn't in college anymore and we have 3 animals. I am a little jealous about the being able to walk to midtown part though!!

can I be invited to said party even if I end up at the "other" school? :lol:

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:45 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Barbie wrote:

can I be invited to said party even if I end up at the "other" school? :lol:

HELL NO :evil: Does this persuade you to come to UF?? :D :D :D

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 pm

haha! it just might. I'm really hoping that ASD on April 15th is so freaking amazing that I just have to turn down FSU and all of their scholarship love.

gators124

Postby gators124 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Letter in Transit as of today at 3pm.

Uf undergrad 3.92/ 156

went complete in November. File Reviewed No Decision reached since Dec 1

leefair123

Postby leefair123 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm

same 158 3.6 state undergrad bio major

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm IN!!!! I'm in!!! I'm in!!!... Did I mention I was accepted?!?!? Aaahhhh!!!!

leefair123

Postby leefair123 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:14 pm

numbers?????? and congrats!!!!!!

gators124

Postby gators124 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 pm

Has UF been issuing waitlist decisions or just accept/ denied so far?

I highly doubt I'm getting accepted with a 156.

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Strikes me as this might be a waitlist batch...but who knows, right?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”