U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kwais

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kwais » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:02 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Question for those really familiar of Gainesville. I'm still locked in a debate over whether I'm going to move my mother and grandmother with me or leave them in South Fla for the time being. In terms of some of the townhome/condo communities, does anyone no anything about OakGate? It says it is on NW 6 North of NW 16 Av. I don't know a whole lot about the Gainesville area, so I'm not sure what this part is like, and the results from city-data wern't all that helpful.

I googled it, and from what I can tell, that's the area where you have all the houses behind the stadium, although the condo complex seems to be a bit further north. Not a bad area to live at all. The areas I would recommend staying away from are houses located in the downtown area (I know a girl that got the hood of her car ripped off to get at her iPod. She was dumb though for leaving it there). I would also avoid anything too far east. East of Waldo is a scary area.

This is wrong! As a Gainesville resident, I can say that Downtown > NW 6th @ NW16. This is nowhere near the houses behind the stadium where the students live. Maybe the map is deceiving but visit this before you commit. Parts of downtown (Arlington, Duckpond) are really nice.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:07 pm

mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Well with UF's language, you dont have to withdraw from waitlists or pending applications, only current acceptances.

Yeah, but, say you have accepts to FSU/UF and get into GW off of the WL - now, maybe you go back and say "hey UF, hey FSU, got any more $$ for me?" It was just illustrating why I think a binding first deposit is absurd.

I still don't see the problem with this situation since you have not broken the original contract that you agreed to.

Edit...I just don't see how this situation shows the absurdity of UF's deposit agreement since it doesn't violate it or is hindered by it.
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:10 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Well with UF's language, you dont have to withdraw from waitlists or pending applications, only current acceptances.

Yeah, but, say you have accepts to FSU/UF and get into GW off of the WL - now, maybe you go back and say "hey UF, hey FSU, got any more $$ for me?" It was just illustrating why I think a binding first deposit is absurd.

I still don't see the problem with this situation since you have not broken the original contract that you agreed to.

I was saying that assuming you had would have been forced to withdraw from FSU had you deposited with UF then subsequently been admitted into GW before the second deposit deadline.

Sorry for making a confusing hypo... :|

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:16 pm

mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

I was saying that assuming you had would have been forced to withdraw from FSU had you deposited with UF then subsequently been admitted into GW before the second deposit deadline.

Sorry for making a confusing hypo... :|

Lol yeah I'm lost now that you bring up fsu, unless you mean you would end up going to fsu over uf if fsu gave you more money based on your gwu negotiation and if uf didn't bump their original offer? I suppose that's a concern/risk by having to withdraw from all other acceptances, but it seems like an unlikely scenario.

dukivich10

Postby dukivich10 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Lili305 wrote:JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Nice.

limelightwave

Postby limelightwave » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Lili305 wrote:JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Congrats!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:30 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:eh, I still think it's being blown out of proportion. UF has specific language in their seat deposit agreement that I can see them having a case for saying the student was dishonest if they double deposit, which is why I don't think people should double deposit at UF + another school. I don't think schools without that specific language really have room to bitch about double deposits since their enrollment form doesn't say they have to withdraw from other acceptances. I think a school would have to be extremely bitter to take the time to report it to the bar and even then I don't think the bar will care too much. If a school gets pissed, they should just revoke the acceptance; the end.

While I do agree that a school prohibiting a double deposit for the initial deposit is a little ridiculous (especially considering that if you get off the WL at another school you might go back to both schools and ask for more money, seeing which has the better offer, and that the time pressure to make a decision won't allow enough time for some folks to completely evaluate their choices), you are representing to UF that you have withdrawn from the other school, and having not done so is a breach of that contract (i.e. in consideration for holding your spot you are paying them money + representing you are withdrawing from the other schools).

While I don't know what UF's policy is on reporting this (I for one hope they do not), it is definitely a risk that could come back to give you problems down the road.

Well with UF's language, you dont have to withdraw from waitlists or pending applications, only current acceptances.

Ut OH! I've been meaning to withdraw from all the schools but I haven't gotten around to the emails? Am I in trouble? Should I do it like... right now?

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:35 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Lol yeah I'm lost now that you bring up fsu, unless you mean you would end up going to fsu over uf if fsu gave you more money based on your gwu negotiation and if uf didn't bump their original offer? I suppose that's a concern/risk by having to withdraw from all other acceptances, but it seems like an unlikely scenario.

Yeah, it is unlikely, but it is also possible. You'll soon learn that most, if not all law school problems are of a similar nature (i.e. unlikely but possible).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:36 pm

mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Lol yeah I'm lost now that you bring up fsu, unless you mean you would end up going to fsu over uf if fsu gave you more money based on your gwu negotiation and if uf didn't bump their original offer? I suppose that's a concern/risk by having to withdraw from all other acceptances, but it seems like an unlikely scenario.

Yeah, it is unlikely, but it is also possible. You'll soon learn that most, if not all law school problems are of a similar nature (i.e. unlikely but possible).

Withdrawing is just so awkward. Like, do I just send it to the general admissions email? Should I expect a response? I want to apologize lol but I know thats stupid. I just figured in a week itll be past deposit deadlines and its like... over then.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:eh, I still think it's being blown out of proportion. UF has specific language in their seat deposit agreement that I can see them having a case for saying the student was dishonest if they double deposit, which is why I don't think people should double deposit at UF + another school. I don't think schools without that specific language really have room to bitch about double deposits since their enrollment form doesn't say they have to withdraw from other acceptances. I think a school would have to be extremely bitter to take the time to report it to the bar and even then I don't think the bar will care too much. If a school gets pissed, they should just revoke the acceptance; the end.

While I do agree that a school prohibiting a double deposit for the initial deposit is a little ridiculous (especially considering that if you get off the WL at another school you might go back to both schools and ask for more money, seeing which has the better offer, and that the time pressure to make a decision won't allow enough time for some folks to completely evaluate their choices), you are representing to UF that you have withdrawn from the other school, and having not done so is a breach of that contract (i.e. in consideration for holding your spot you are paying them money + representing you are withdrawing from the other schools).

While I don't know what UF's policy is on reporting this (I for one hope they do not), it is definitely a risk that could come back to give you problems down the road.

Well with UF's language, you dont have to withdraw from waitlists or pending applications, only current acceptances.

Ut OH! I've been meaning to withdraw from all the schools but I haven't gotten around to the emails? Am I in trouble? Should I do it like... right now?

Eh, I haven't either, but I plan to next week. Dont stress about it, it's not like they will know whether or not you withdrew, they can only see if you have multiple deposits.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Barbie wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

Withdrawing is just so awkward. Like, do I just send it to the general admissions email? Should I expect a response? I want to apologize lol but I know thats stupid. I just figured in a week itll be past deposit deadlines and its like... over then.

Operasoprano sent long letters to each school she applied to when she withdrew... I wouldn't recommend doing that. Don't think about it, just do it. These schools deny thousands of people whose dream it is to attend the school without thinking twice about it, I don't think you're going to hurt their feelings...

wbbguy

Postby wbbguy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:41 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:Question for those really familiar of Gainesville. I'm still locked in a debate over whether I'm going to move my mother and grandmother with me or leave them in South Fla for the time being. In terms of some of the townhome/condo communities, does anyone no anything about OakGate? It says it is on NW 6 North of NW 16 Av. I don't know a whole lot about the Gainesville area, so I'm not sure what this part is like, and the results from city-data wern't all that helpful.

That isn't the best area, and isn't really near the stadium. The stadium is closer to the University and 13th street intersection, which has a lot of housing surrounding it. It is mainly geared towards students, but there are some very nice condos available in that area.

Nicer residential areas for non-students are also available in pretty much all parts of Gainesville. Definitely visit the area before making a housing decision, and it would be best to check with a realtor who has catalogued the good/bad neighborhoods already. There are definitely 'purely bad areas', but there are also places that have a mix of nice homes but are surrounded by 'bad areas'. Like Tower Road/75 street has a lot of nice communities, but also some run-down houses surrounding it.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 pm

I withdrew from every school I applied to except for FSU, UF, and UM at this point. I searched the boards and found a good, standard letter that I just sent to the basic adcomm email.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm moving to... NW 34th street about 1.5 miles down from the law school. Good neighborhood or bad?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:43 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I withdrew from every school I applied to except for FSU, UF, and UM at this point. I searched the boards and found a good, standard letter that I just sent to the basic adcomm email.

lol how rude would it be if I just cc'd all 20 law schools to one message?

SixStrings11

Postby SixStrings11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:46 pm

Barbie wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:I withdrew from every school I applied to except for FSU, UF, and UM at this point. I searched the boards and found a good, standard letter that I just sent to the basic adcomm email.

lol how rude would it be if I just cc'd all 20 law schools to one message?

Does it matter? What are they going to do? Unaccept you? :wink:

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Barbie wrote:I'm moving to... NW 34th street about 1.5 miles down from the law school. Good neighborhood or bad?

Down near Archer it's mostly college kids, so I vote good.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Barbie wrote:

lol how rude hilarious would it be if I just cc'd all 20 law schools to one message?

Definitely has potential.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm in 3 more years in Gainesville for me!!! :D

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:59 pm

gmen42 wrote:I'm in 3 more years in Gainesville for me!!! :D

I'm interpreting this as you were accepted?? YAY! Welcome, future classmate! :D

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Barbie wrote:I'm moving to... NW 34th street about 1.5 miles down from the law school. Good neighborhood or bad?

Near archer is very convenient I live there now. Less convenient for the bars though....

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Barbie wrote:
gmen42 wrote:I'm in 3 more years in Gainesville for me!!! :D

I'm interpreting this as you were accepted?? YAY! Welcome, future classmate! :D

Correct, also for anyone still waiting and going bonkers on that seat deposit website, it still doesn't work for me.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:03 pm

gmen42 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

Near archer is very convenient I live there now. Less convenient for the bars though....

I don't even know what street archer is lol, but I think I live in the other direction. I dont think where I'm living is very collegy. Theyre like 4 bedroom houses. 4 Engineering students live there now, though, so its a posibility...

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Barbie wrote:
gmen42 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

I don't even know what street archer is lol, but I think I live in the other direction. I dont think where I'm living is very collegy. Theyre like 4 bedroom houses. 4 Engineering students live there now, though, so its a posibility...

From the sounds of it you should nearly halfway between University Ave. and Archer. Archer has a bunch of publixes, walmart, target, chain type restaurants(Chilis, Outback etc..) University mainly has bars and smallish non-chain restaurants. Not a bad location.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”