U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:45 am

gmen42 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:For people curious about the mail timing, I think Gainesville is just INSANELY slow at delivering mail. Back in January I received my letter in TX the same day that the people in Gainesville received theirs. It made NO sense whatsoever.

Good luck! I hope to see many of you in the fall!

That's actually very true, all my friends who have heard of my painful waiting mentioned different times where Gainesville post office has messed things up for them(lost packages/taking too long). On an unrelated note, I've also been here four years now and feel fairly knowledgeable about the area so I'll be happy to answer any questions? Something I feel I should let everyone know is Gainesville is the bad driver capital of the world and every time I set foot in my car someone almost always crashes into me(usually they are neglecting the concept of stop signs). So drive at your own peril. I just drove home experienced my daily dose of lousy driving and felt it would be good for you guys to know.

+ 7,000,000.

I got into an accident while coming up to a red light. What possesses people to turn into traffic and then cross ALL three lanes plus one left turn lane is beyond me.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am

I challenge everyone ITT to drive around FIU for a week. Combine the poor driving of college students with the seemingly inept abilities of Hispanics to drive, and we have a winner (loser, actually)

mtothelissa

Postby mtothelissa » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:I challenge everyone ITT to drive around FIU for a week. Combine the poor driving of college students with the seemingly inept abilities of Hispanics to drive, and we have a winner (loser, actually)

+1

PleaseHelpThanks

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:I challenge everyone ITT to drive around FIU for a week. Combine the poor driving of college students with the seemingly inept abilities of Hispanics to drive, and we have a winner (loser, actually)

OMG I was by there two days ago... It was literally Hell.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 am

I've been to Miami once ever that I remember (fountain bleu) and I couldn't get around to save my life. No ... left turns? Drove me nuts.

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 am

I feel you! My husband drives from the beach to FIU, and I swear it's giving him an ulcer! Luckily, I never really have to leave the beach, so it's not that bad. I avoid the "mainland" like the plague!

wbbguy

Postby wbbguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:40 am

Last edited by wbbguy on Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:43 am

wbbguy wrote:I wouldn't attribute the slow mailing to the post office.

I've had numerous things mailed to me from South Florida USPS, normal mail that is not expedited, and it gets to me in one day.

So if they are saying they mailed something to you from Florida and you don't receive it within 2 days, the most reasonable explanation is that it was not mailed out on that date. Even USPS priority mail that I sent off to California schools arrived there in two days. Their system must flag accounts to show that something has been mailed, but there is a lag.

Anyways, I applied late to UF..literally clicked submit on 03/15, the deadline date. Does this affect my chances greatly? From what I have been reading, not many slots are filled with acceptances. I have a 3.95 GPA as a Poli Sci major at UF and a 162 on the LSAT, have average (possibly below-average) extra curricular things, but have law firm work experience and excellent LORs regarding my potential and qualifications for law school.

I think all else being equal, I would have a good shot at being admitted. But, I don't know how harshly they view procrastination and 'deadline' applications; also, I have two marijuana misdemeanors on my record (not from a long time ago either). I've been told by some that this is not a big deal, that they just look to see that you are honest, but somehow I think that they may be prejudiced against someone with a record like that.

What do you guys think?

Call it a hunch, but I'm going with WL broski

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:43 am

Lili305 wrote:

I feel you! My husband drives from the beach to FIU, and I swear it's giving him an ulcer! Luckily, I never really have to leave the beach, so it's not that bad. I avoid the "mainland" like the plague!

I've never met you and I hate you

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:44 am

I've had numerous things mailed to me from South Florida USPS, normal mail that is not expedited, and it gets to me in one day.

So if they are saying they mailed something to you from Florida and you don't receive it within 2 days, the most reasonable explanation is that it was not mailed out on that date. Even USPS priority mail that I sent off to California schools arrived there in two days. Their system must flag accounts to show that something has been mailed, but there is a lag.

Anyways, I applied late to UF..literally clicked submit on 03/15, the deadline date. Does this affect my chances greatly? From what I have been reading, not many slots are filled with acceptances. I have a 3.95 GPA as a Poli Sci major at UF and a 162 on the LSAT, have average (possibly below-average) extra curricular things, but have law firm work experience and excellent LORs regarding my potential and qualifications for law school.

I think all else being equal, I would have a good shot at being admitted. But, I don't know how harshly they view procrastination and 'deadline' applications; also, I have two marijuana misdemeanors on my record (not from a long time ago either). I've been told by some that this is not a big deal, that they just look to see that you are honest, but somehow I think that they may be prejudiced against someone with a record like that.

What do you guys think?

I'm predicting an acceptance, but if not I think its more because you applied so damn late than your baby charges.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:44 am

What do you guys think?

I don't know much about the other things, but as far as the lateness, I have a friend who applied same day and called them up and was told that the 3/15 deadline was "in-hand" so technically if you electronically submitted on 3/15 you are considered to be an applicant after the deadline. They did tell my friend that they will look at all applications, even those after the deadline, but will not do so until decisions are made on all those who were "in-hand" before 3/15.

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:48 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Lili305 wrote:

Why so hostile? And I believe we did meet. At FSU's ASD. I had your envelope to get your travel stipend. You're welcome by the way.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:49 am

Lili305 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Lili305 wrote:

Why so hostile? And I believe we did meet. At FSU's ASD. I had your envelope to get your travel stipend. You're welcome by the way.

It was a joke about you never leaving the beach, I sometimes forget the internet doesn't flash sarcasm after clicking post. And thank you!

wbbguy

Postby wbbguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:50 am

gmen42 wrote:

What do you guys think?

I don't know much about the other things, but as far as the lateness, I have a friend who applied same day and called them up and was told that the 3/15 deadline was "in-hand" so technically if you electronically submitted on 3/15 you are considered to be an applicant after the deadline. They did tell my friend that they will look at all applications, even those after the deadline, but will not do so until decisions are made on all those who were "in-hand" before 3/15.

Weird...I went into the office and spoke with a couple of people at the front desk. They said that I had to submit the application through LSAC by 11:59 PM on 03/15 and I wouldn't be considered part of the next round.

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:52 am

I feel you! My husband drives from the beach to FIU, and I swear it's giving him an ulcer! Luckily, I never really have to leave the beach, so it's not that bad. I avoid the "mainland" like the plague![/quote]

I've never met you and I hate you[/quote]

Why so hostile? And I believe we did meet. At FSU's ASD. I had your envelope to get your travel stipend. You're welcome by the way.[/quote]

It was a joke about you never leaving the beach, I sometimes forget the internet doesn't flash sarcasm after clicking post. And thank you![/quote]

Ah! Noted! And no problem. It's not such a charmed life, so don't worry. :wink:

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:55 am

wbbguy wrote:
gmen42 wrote:

What do you guys think?

Weird...I went into the office and spoke with a couple of people at the front desk. They said that I had to submit the application through LSAC by 11:59 PM on 03/15 and I wouldn't be considered part of the next round.

Interesting, that's what I figured, I suppose they could have been mistaken when he called up. Your numbers seem good, ceteris paribus I would think you're fine.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:57 am

Lili305 wrote:

Now I'm curious, how did you know it was me lol (besides being such a charming, handsome young man) <----sarcasm alert lmao

wbbguy

Postby wbbguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:01 pm

You gave me a scare there, so I just called to reconfirm.

Side note, the UF admissions office is so nice, thorough and helpful!

She told me that they would prefer the application in-hand by the 15th because they work off of printed copies, but as long as it was processed by LSAC (or them) by the end of the 15th then I would be fine.

As it stands, she told me she remembered seeing my application come in and get printed, and she personally packed my LORs with the file (i had them waiting before I submitted the application). I was told they take batches of applications in 'rounds' and go through to make a decision, whether it be accept, deny, or WL. They are going to be finishing up one of those rounds by the end of this week and starting on the next round (which has mine in it) on Monday, or at least some time next week.

Man, I'm nervous! I hope to be invited to the school.
Last edited by wbbguy on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lili305

Postby Lili305 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:03 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Lili305 wrote:

Now I'm curious, how did you know it was me lol (besides being such a charming, handsome young man) <----sarcasm alert lmao

HAHAHA! I guess I'm just really perceptive... lol :D

leidice

Postby leidice » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:03 pm

Lili305 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Lili305 wrote:

LOL

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:04 pm

wbbguy wrote:You gave me a scare there, so I just called to reconfirm.

She told me that they would prefer the application in-hand by the 15th because they work off of printed copies, but as long as it was processed by LSAC (or them) by the end of the 15th then I would be fine.

As it stands, she told me she remembered seeing my application come in and get printed, and she personally packed my LORs with the file (i had them waiting before I submitted the application). I was told they take batches of applications in 'rounds' and go through to make a decision, whether it be accept, deny, or WL. They are going to be finishing up one of those rounds by the end of this week and starting on the next round (which has mine in it) on Monday, or at least some time next week.

If you get in are you 100% attending?

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:05 pm

Good luck, I suppose the one plus of applying late is your waiting period will be substantially less than a lot of others (seems as if some have been waiting since November).

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Leidice, that back and forth was magically awkward lmao

wbbguy

Postby wbbguy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Barbie wrote:

If you get in are you 100% attending?

Yes. Partly because I started so late on applying to law schools for Fall 2011 that most of the other schools I was interested in already past the deadline. Partly because the cost for a decent legal education at UF is so much better than a comparable institution. My family is all in Florida, and though I did enjoy living in other parts of the country, I wouldn't mind working here. I suppose with a UF degree and good results I could go many places throughout the country, so why put myself in a load of debt?

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:33 pm

For people who paid your seat deposit already, on the bottom of your status checker is there a check mark next to "Final Confirmation" which is below "Seat Deposit Received"? Mine doesn't have a check mark, I wonder when we get our final confirmation?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”