U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 pm

ManageDamage wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
ManageDamage wrote:I really don't know what to do if I get waitlist/reject from UF at this point. I have yet to hear anything from FSU and seat deposits are coming due for some other options. Stetson (at sticker apparently, haven't heard anything scholarship wise, deposit due April 15) and Nova Southeastern with a 20k/year scholarship (deposit due April 1). What would you do (assuming I get WL/Reject from UF)?

When did you apply and what are your numbers? Or if you don't wanna say numbers, how close are you to the medians?

160/3.5

Applied early Feb.

I've been reading here how Nova is catching a lot of flak from people and I'm not sure why exactly. Some people rate Florida Coastal as a better than Nova?? I don't get that.

Seriously, please do not go to either. You have strong #s. There are a handful of decent schools you can go to that aren't TTTT. Florida is kind of weird because we have a shit-ton of law schools, but the only ones in the "middle" are private. So you have public UF and FSU, then Miami and Stetson, then TTTT. I know its kind of late in the game, but did you apply OOS anywhere? GA state would be good with your #s and easy to get IS tuition I think. You could probably also land many public schools in the 50-100 range. Hold out on UF and FSU though also because I dont think youre a rejection by any means.

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:35 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:The REAL debate is Nova or Barry.

Barry got accredited?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:36 pm

Barbie wrote:
ManageDamage wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
ManageDamage wrote:I really don't know what to do if I get waitlist/reject from UF at this point. I have yet to hear anything from FSU and seat deposits are coming due for some other options. Stetson (at sticker apparently, haven't heard anything scholarship wise, deposit due April 15) and Nova Southeastern with a 20k/year scholarship (deposit due April 1). What would you do (assuming I get WL/Reject from UF)?

When did you apply and what are your numbers? Or if you don't wanna say numbers, how close are you to the medians?

160/3.5

Applied early Feb.

I've been reading here how Nova is catching a lot of flak from people and I'm not sure why exactly. Some people rate Florida Coastal as a better than Nova?? I don't get that.

Seriously, please do not go to either. You have strong #s. There are a handful of decent schools you can go to that aren't TTTT. Florida is kind of weird because we have a shit-ton of law schools, but the only ones in the "middle" are private. So you have public UF and FSU, then Miami and Stetson, then TTTT. I know its kind of late in the game, but did you apply OOS anywhere? GA state would be good with your #s and easy to get IS tuition I think. You could probably also land many public schools in the 50-100 range. Hold out on UF and FSU though also because I dont think youre a rejection by any means.

I'm shocked he didn't get into UF or FSU.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen to Barbie...do not for a second consider any school in Florida besides UF/FSU or UM/Stetson with a damn good scholarship unless you have a job lined up regardless, and even still.

If you don't get into UF or FSU I STRONGLY suggest either retaking or just working your ass off the next year and resubmit your app the second you are allowed to next cycle.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 pm

ManageDamage wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:The REAL debate is Nova or Barry.

Barry got accredited?

Its a stupid TLS joke, don't worry lol

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Barbie wrote:
ManageDamage wrote:
ns77770 wrote:

160/3.5

Applied early Feb.

I didn't apply OOS or to Miami based on principle (FSU undergrad, also the ridic tuition). I don't feel like holding off another year to apply early/retest.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:41 pm

ManageDamage wrote:I didn't apply OOS or to Miami based on principle (FSU undergrad, also the ridic tuition). I don't feel like holding off another year to apply early/retest.

Stetson or other TTT without a full scholarship or close to it is a seriously bad financial decison.

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Can someone tell me why Nova is so hated on? There are a lot of sitting Judges that went to Nova in the county I live in, Nova grads are represented in firms such as Holland & Knight.

Also there is always to option to work my ass off at Nova for a year and trying to transfer to UF/FSU right?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 pm

ManageDamage wrote:Can someone tell me why Nova is so hated on? There are a lot of sitting Judges that went to Nova in the county I live in, Nova grads are represented in firms such as Holland & Knight.

Also there is always to option to work my ass off at Nova for a year and trying to transfer to UF/FSU right?

Be careful brother (assuming you are a guy), this will open up the gates of Mordor (what a hackey reference)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 pm

ManageDamage wrote:Can someone tell me why Nova is so hated on? There are a lot of sitting Judges that went to Nova in the county I live in, Nova grads are represented in firms such as Holland & Knight.

Someone find this guy the thread where that awesome poster made all the graphs with employment information. Crucial.

Also, you have decent stats! You deserve to be at a, at the least, respectable institution. I've worked at law firms (including an NLJ250) and it is dually noted that TTTTs are, in fact... TTTT :(.

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 pm

rad law wrote:
ManageDamage wrote:I didn't apply OOS or to Miami based on principle (FSU undergrad, also the ridic tuition). I don't feel like holding off another year to apply early/retest.

Stetson or other TTT without a full scholarship or close to it is a seriously bad financial decison.

20k a year at nova

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 pm

Barbie wrote:

Someone find this guy the thread where that awesome poster made all the graphs with employment information. Crucial.

Also, you have decent stats! You deserve to be at a, at the least, respectable institution. I've worked at law firms (including an NLJ250) and it is dually noted that TTTTs are, in fact... TTTT :(.

Nova obviously isn't my first choice but I don't think I can wait to get off UF's waitlist or to hear from FSU without putting down/possibly eating a deposit somewhere. :(

I am in poor spirits.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:00 pm

ManageDamage wrote:
rad law wrote:

20k a year at nova

LOL BUT TUITION IS 32+k /year!!!! So you're going to pay 12k/year in tuition, assumingly + COL. Noooooot worth it. At all. Seriously, don't do it. I'd personally rather pay sticker at Stetson than 12k/year at Nova. Stetson at least doesn't make people completely burst out laughing in the Tampa legal market (it aint there business whether youre on scholly or not ;) )

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Or, you could study your ass off, save up some money, and retake the LSAT. Then you'll get into UF with 20k instead of Nova.

Doing well on the LSAT is a much better bet than doing will in law school.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 pm

ManageDamage wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Nova obviously isn't my first choice but I don't think I can wait to get off UF's waitlist or to hear from FSU without putting down/possibly eating a deposit somewhere. :(

I am in poor spirits.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't actually received a decision yet, right? Worry at the appropriate time, extra worrying is unhealthy.

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
ManageDamage wrote:
rad law wrote:

20k a year at nova

LOL BUT TUITION IS 32+k /year!!!! So you're going to pay 12k/year in tuition, assumingly + COL. Noooooot worth it. At all. Seriously, don't do it. I'd personally rather pay sticker at Stetson than 12k/year at Nova. Stetson at least doesn't make people completely burst out laughing in the Tampa legal market (it aint there business whether youre on scholly or not ;) )

I would be in the south Florida market and I own a place here so COL is reduced.

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 pm

gmen42 wrote:
ManageDamage wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I am in poor spirits.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you haven't actually received a decision yet, right? Worry at the appropriate time, extra worrying is unhealthy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're in this 3/17 batch with me, and you're not the least bit worried!? :shock:

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 pm

ManageDamage wrote:I would be in the south Florida market and I own a place here so COL is reduced.

It doens't matter. Typically, I'm one of the more passive people in this site when it comes to florida law schools. If someone doesnt have the numbers to get into a decent school, I can somewhat support their desire to study law at all costs and going. YOU HAVE DECENT #S! 160/3.5 is pretty much what I have. 3 more points on your LSAT and you would be a bit better #s than me, and I have a lot of wonderful options. You deserve WAY, WAY, WAY better than Nova. That place isn't worth 12k total.

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Barbie wrote:
ManageDamage wrote:I would be in the south Florida market and I own a place here so COL is reduced.

It doens't matter. Typically, I'm one of the more passive people in this site when it comes to florida law schools. If someone doesnt have the numbers to get into a decent school, I can somewhat support their desire to study law at all costs and going. YOU HAVE DECENT #S! 160/3.5 is pretty much what I have. 3 more points on your LSAT and you would be a bit better #s than me, and I have a lot of wonderful options. You deserve WAY, WAY, WAY better than Nova. That place isn't worth 12k total.

My God, based on what? Support your bashing plz. :roll:

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm in the batch, slightly nervous but I have no control at this point. Also I have yet to see anyone with poor numbers in the batch so I'm slightly optimistic.

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:10 pm

gmen42 wrote:I'm in the batch, slightly nervous but I have no control at this point. Also I have yet to see anyone with poor numbers in the batch so I'm slightly optimistic.

I think its a waitlist batch but I really hope I'm wrong. :|

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 pm

ManageDamage wrote:
Barbie wrote:

ManageDamage, on a basic enough level, Nova's numbers were so bad USNews didn't see fit to rank them after 137 schools.

The reason you see people working in the courts and firms is that Nova is a fairly old school (opened in the 70s I believe?) when the job market was a WHOLE lot different.

You are 3 points lower on the LSAT than Barbie and have the same GPA, and she got 20k from FSU, full ride to Stetson IIRC, and admitted to UF. PLEASE don't sell yourself short.

Edit: I know you are waiting to hear from UF/FSU so it kind renders what I said null but the gist is just please hold out if you can and apply next cycle if the next month turns out poorly.
Last edited by FeelTheHeat on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmen42

Postby gmen42 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:12 pm

ManageDamage wrote:
gmen42 wrote:I'm in the batch, slightly nervous but I have no control at this point. Also I have yet to see anyone with poor numbers in the batch so I'm slightly optimistic.

I think its a waitlist batch but I really hope I'm wrong. :|

I saw last years around that week was waitlist, however I tend to think the differences in timeline might make a different result (Primary application was due Jan 15th last year).

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14 pm

ManageDamage wrote:
Barbie wrote:

From experience from working closely in the legal field for 2 years in Florida... and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150681&hilit=graph
Please scroll down to employment data for Nova-- and I'm pretty sure the economy has gotten worse since then. If you are okay with only 10% or so of the class making @60k, and the rest making LESS... go for it.

ManageDamage

Postby ManageDamage » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:17 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB1 ... DYyWj.html

^Even though it's a bad article to read before going to law school, does make sense that maybe a school like UF will be accepting more individuals this year since the amount of people applying is down? I'm grasping at straws.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 pm

ManageDamage wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748704396504576204692878631986-lMyQjAxMTAxMDEwNjExNDYyWj.html

^Even though it's a bad article to read before going to law school, does make sense that maybe a school like UF will be accepting more individuals this year since the amount of people applying is down? I'm grasping at straws.

UF actually is accepting less people this year. Cutting their class size-- not sure by how much. Someone else can chime in with the stats.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”