U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Sandro » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:26 am

Barbie wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:Thought there would be some rule like that. Although I'd much rather have UGA in state, in state for FSU/UF will come in handy because they are both schools that should be in my range even if I dont get the top score im looking for.


It doesn't work like that, I'm sure. You can only get in-state for ONE state, I'm almost positive...

Youll need a 164 for a prayer at UGA, and a 165 for a pretty good shot. (from the GPA in your prof)
and prob at LEAST a 163+ for UF and FSU


I asked people in the UGA thread from last year and they said as long as you were in the state for over a year I should be fine. By the time I start at UGA it will have been over a year if I get in/choose to go there. I cant imagine it being 1 year starting from when you were accepted/applied... but who knows. Ill have to ask them that.

My last 8 or so PTs have been avg 165. hit 169 on 52 yesterday and think I might be on the home stretch. Already took the LSAT last sep so I just hope i can avoid a negative drop on test day.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:02 pm

UF Law is 100% smoke free !! :D No yucky cigarette smoke smells between classes!!! Awesome.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:43 am

Barbie wrote:UF Law is 100% smoke free !! :D No yucky cigarette smoke smells between classes!!! Awesome.


Hmm laws are enforced and have penalties. UF's ban on smoking contains neither of those 2 things...

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:35 pm

submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA

minuit
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby minuit » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA


I submitted my app Sept. 16th and just got emails from UF yesterday to fill out some supplemental data and to pay the $30 app fee online. I also got my UF ID and a link to the status checker. So you should definitely get that sometime soon!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Barbie wrote:UF Law is 100% smoke free !! :D No yucky cigarette smoke smells between classes!!! Awesome.


Hmm laws are enforced and have penalties. UF's ban on smoking contains neither of those 2 things...


By UF Law I meant the law campus lol. Not that the LAW is that it is non-smoking. And you have been on the UG campus, which is 100x bigger than the tiny law campus. I'm sure its much easier to enforce when there are like, 3 outdoor hallways total.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:10 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA


Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Barbie wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA


Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(


Crap! that late? I know FSU has given out some acceptances, is UF not known to give out early acceptances?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:16 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA


Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(


Crap! that late? I know FSU has given out some acceptances, is UF not known to give out early acceptances?


No the lady told me they dont even sit down and look at them until November...

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA


Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(


Crap! that late? I know FSU has given out some acceptances, is UF not known to give out early acceptances?


No the lady told me they dont even sit down and look at them until November...


Oh wow thanks for letting me know that, I would have been on my status checker 14 times a day...

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:21 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
No the lady told me they dont even sit down and look at them until November...


Oh wow thanks for letting me know that, I would have been on my status checker 14 times a day...


lol the FSU one is becoming addicting... heh

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:25 pm

minuit wrote: I submitted my app Sept. 16th and just got emails from UF yesterday to fill out some supplemental data and to pay the $30 app fee online. I also got my UF ID and a link to the status checker. So you should definitely get that sometime soon!


Thanks. I submitted mine last thursday, so I will give it some times.

Barbie wrote: Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(


haha, I am eager to get the status checker so I can know if my app is complete and stuff. I know it will be a long cycle for me.

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
minuit wrote: I submitted my app Sept. 16th and just got emails from UF yesterday to fill out some supplemental data and to pay the $30 app fee online. I also got my UF ID and a link to the status checker. So you should definitely get that sometime soon!


Thanks. I submitted mine last thursday, so I will give it some times.

Barbie wrote: Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(


haha, I am eager to get the status checker so I can know if my app is complete and stuff. I know it will be a long cycle for me.


What are your #s?, if you don't mind me asking...

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 pm

I wanna know too :D & if you want mine you can PM me!

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
Barbie wrote:UF Law is 100% smoke free !! :D No yucky cigarette smoke smells between classes!!! Awesome.


Hmm laws are enforced and have penalties. UF's ban on smoking contains neither of those 2 things...


By UF Law I meant the law campus lol. Not that the LAW is that it is non-smoking. And you have been on the UG campus, which is 100x bigger than the tiny law campus. I'm sure its much easier to enforce when there are like, 3 outdoor hallways total.


Ah, RC fail haha. Yea, if anything I've seen more kids smoking since the ban, maybe I just notice it now where as before I didn't even realize it. But the LS is definitely small enough and I'm sure it's a little more looked down upon since it is smaller and you'd be bothering more people. I've never seen anyone smoking when I've been at the LS.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby tea_drinker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Barbie wrote:I wanna know too :D & if you want mine you can PM me!


Sorry, but I am more comfortable to disclose my numbers after my cycle is over. However, my GPA is slightly below their 25%, and that worries me.

ns77770
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby ns77770 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
Barbie wrote:I wanna know too :D & if you want mine you can PM me!


Sorry, but I am more comfortable to disclose my numbers after my cycle is over. However, my GPA is slightly below their 25%, and that worries me.


Where's your lsat at? Above their 75th%?

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:40 pm

will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:50 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.


A high enough LSAT will offset a bad GPA, but yours isnt even really bad! :D
and if you are looking anywhere near schools like UVA... I'm sure you will have NO problem at UF! Also, UF doesn't give advantage to in-staters really, from what I;ve heard...

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.


A high enough LSAT will offset a bad GPA, but yours isnt even really bad! :D
and if you are looking anywhere near schools like UVA... I'm sure you will have NO problem at UF! Also, UF doesn't give advantage to in-staters really, from what I;ve heard...


Thanks. That's really helpful.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Deuce » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:34 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.


Not only is there no preference given to in state, but I've heard that, given everything else the exact same, an out of state applicant would be chosen over an in state.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.


Not only is there no preference given to in state, but I've heard that, given everything else the exact same, an out of state applicant would be chosen over an in state.


I have this theory that this situation never exists. There never is "the exact same" because I hope that PS, LOR, extra currics, etc will play SOME kind of role. These things are never the exact same :D

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.


Not only is there no preference given to in state, but I've heard that, given everything else the exact same, an out of state applicant would be chosen over an in state.


I have this theory that this situation never exists. There never is "the exact same" because I hope that PS, LOR, extra currics, etc will play SOME kind of role. These things are never the exact same :D



Ha ha it's funny you say this because when I spoke with an admissions officer I asked the VERY same question. The response was: "That's impossible. There is never a situation where two applicants are exactly the same. Although their numbers may be identical, there will always be something in their files to set them apart." So either A.) They were lying or B.) Resumes, Personal Statements, LORS, diversity statements, and other softs do play a role.
I sincerely hope it is the latter.

Additionally, I have heard that out of state sometimes gets a bonus during budget cuts since they need the extra cash the out-of-state students can provide. A teacher who sits on an admissions council (not a law school one) once told me that; but, I doubt you will ever get someone to formally admit to that.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Neo wrote:Additionally, I have heard that out of state sometimes gets a bonus during budget cuts since they need the extra cash the out-of-state students can provide. A teacher who sits on an admissions council (not a law school one) once told me that; but, I doubt you will ever get someone to formally admit to that.


This sounds logical. Do you know how easy/hard can one obtain resident status?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
Neo wrote:Additionally, I have heard that out of state sometimes gets a bonus during budget cuts since they need the extra cash the out-of-state students can provide. A teacher who sits on an admissions council (not a law school one) once told me that; but, I doubt you will ever get someone to formally admit to that.


This sounds logical. Do you know how easy/hard can one obtain resident status?


FL= very easy. theres a residency thread if you search for it.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beercules, cd1945, Cognitiveproblem, darthlawyer, goldescholes, NotAGolfer, spursforever, Torres1893, xholdman, zeglo and 14 guests