U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Neo wrote:What are stacked sections?

Placing those on scholarship all in one section so that some of them inevitably lose their scholarship money due to the grade distribution

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Is section one the suspected stacked section this year since someone said it's basically the gunner/no fun section?

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:35 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

Placing those on scholarship all in one section so that some of them inevitably lose their scholarship money due to the grade distribution

its ridiculous the amount of scheming that goes on behind almost every aspect of life...but this right here, is a new one....wooow.

Rob1230

Postby Rob1230 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:16 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

its ridiculous the amount of scheming that goes on behind almost every aspect of life...but this right here, is a new one....wooow.

+1

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:I'm 90% sure sections are stacked. I don't think they were in the past, but evidence points to stacking this year.

notsureifserious.jpg

Do you have any objective evidence that there are more people on scholarships in one section than another?

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:22 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Here's some info from ASD about scholarships/grants that I forgot to post about:

Scholarships:
Scholarships range from 2K-12K/yr. Initial scholarships will be sent through March in the mail and additional awards will be given in "late spring" if funds are available. Someone asked if the additional awards will be given to people with or without scholarships already, and the guy didn't really know since he wasn't the main financial aid person.

Need-based Grants:
Need-based grants range from 2K-10K and are NOT renewable, so you get it for 1L and that's it. You need to have completed your fafsa and the need-based application given in the admissions packet. These will be awarded by the end of April by mail.

Projected COA (tuition will be approved in July when legislature meets):
Resident:
Tuition-18,650
Total COA-34,390

Non-Resident:
Tuition-40,840
Total COA-56,580

Hope that helps!

This is huge... I was told by admissions personally that I shouldn't expect large increases in tuition and that moderate increases by no more than 5 to 10 percent is what we should be expecting. I'm not sure how good a deal UF is going to be anymore if tuition is over 20,000 for our 2L year. this sucks

cr1stina

Postby cr1stina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Being in a stacked section is probably my worst fear. I got the 18k scholarship at UF and hope this doesn't happen.

What makes any current students think that the sections are stacked?

gnulaw77

Postby gnulaw77 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:26 pm

I don't know if sections are stacked, but I asked the dean about the 3.2 GPA requirement and she said that in recent years, about 15% of scholarships are not renewed for failure to achieve the 3.2 GPA.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:20 pm

WOW! UF increased my scholarship from 18K to 24K! I sent them a negotiation email on Feb 20th and got the letter about the increase in the mail today! I am sooo happy! I am mailing in my seat deposit on Monday!

Rob1230

Postby Rob1230 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:27 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:WOW! UF increased my scholarship from 18K to 24K! I sent them a negotiation email on Feb 20th and got the letter about the increase in the mail today! I am sooo happy! I am mailing in my seat deposit on Monday!

What about the stipulations, did you try to negotiate those? 3.2 GPA requirement seems kind of high to me, but maybe i'm wrong. What did you say in your email? Congrats!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Rob1230 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:WOW! UF increased my scholarship from 18K to 24K! I sent them a negotiation email on Feb 20th and got the letter about the increase in the mail today! I am sooo happy! I am mailing in my seat deposit on Monday!

What about the stipulations, did you try to negotiate those? 3.2 GPA requirement seems kind of high to me, but maybe i'm wrong. What did you say in your email? Congrats!

I tried to negotiate away the stipulation since my other offers are all guaranteed, but they just increased my award with the same 3.2 gpa which sucks, but I'm fine with it since it's median at UF.

My email was really long. I talked about all my reasons for wanting to attend UF and that it really was the best fit for me in every way except financially. I then outlined my other very generous offers and explained that UF would be more expensive by X amount and that I'm very debt and risk adverse in this economy especially since I still needed to factor in my student loan debt from my masters. I also met the dean at ASD and he remembered me from my negotiation letter so I think it helped to put a face to my application.

I really didn't think I'd get an increase so I'm very shocked and incredibly grateful! I'm so excited to become a Gator even if that means I end up getting section stacked! :lol:

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:I'm 90% sure sections are stacked. I don't think they were in the past, but evidence points to stacking this year.

I disagree. I was in the "party" section. In Property, our professor had a midterm for present future interest during common law. The average of the years previously was 18 out of 25. After my section took the midterm we averaged 23 out of 25 with the majority of people getting 23 or higher. Plus, a lot of people in my section have scholarships.

I think with sections, their is a little groupthink. If the major outloud people in the section are study heavy/ party heavy the section is more than likely to follow that.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Congrats, warflamingo, that's great news.

I'm still really surprised by the price disparity between UF and FSU posted earlier. If it stays the same, that's an additional 6k in tuition. Not a ton, but still. Warflamingo, I am majorly jealous lol

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Congrats, warflamingo, that's great news.

I'm still really surprised by the price disparity between UF and FSU posted earlier. If it stays the same, that's an additional 6k in tuition. Not a ton, but still. Warflamingo, I am majorly jealous lol

Thank you! Yeah I was very shocked to see the drastic projected tuition increase at ASD, but they know people are willing to pay that. I dont know how they expect to increase out of state tuition by 15% each year, if they did that it'd be 50k going into my 3L year, I dont see them going that high because thats outrageous for a public school.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:21 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

Thank you! Yeah I was very shocked to see the drastic projected tuition increase at ASD, but they know people are willing to pay that. I dont know how they expect to increase out of state tuition by 15% each year, if they did that it'd be 50k going into my 3L year, I dont see them going that high because thats outrageous for a public school.

With the economy improving and the state budget crisis abating I sincerely doubt they can sustain these types of increases for much longer... At least, I hope they don't.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:31 am

Can anyone share insight into how these tuition increases work? Do the schools have an option of increasing up to 15% every year?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:12 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Can anyone share insight into how these tuition increases work? Do the schools have an option of increasing up to 15% every year?

As far as I can tell, the constraint on the increase is that it can't exceed the national average. Although, with this language, I don't know how it allows universities to raise graduate tuition rates...

/shrug

Fla. Stat. Ann. § 1009.24 wrote:(16) Each university board of trustees may establish a tuition differential for undergraduate courses upon receipt of approval from the Board of Governors. The tuition differential shall promote improvements in the quality of undergraduate education and shall provide financial aid to undergraduate students who exhibit financial need.

(a) Seventy percent of the revenues from the tuition differential shall be expended for purposes of undergraduate education. Such expenditures may include, but are not limited to, increasing course offerings, improving graduation rates, increasing the percentage of undergraduate students who are taught by faculty, decreasing student-faculty ratios, providing salary increases for faculty who have a history of excellent teaching in undergraduate courses, improving the efficiency of the delivery of undergraduate education through academic advisement and counseling, and reducing the percentage of students who graduate with excess hours. This expenditure for undergraduate education may not be used to pay the salaries of graduate teaching assistants. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the remaining 30 percent of the revenues from the tuition differential, or the equivalent amount of revenue from private sources, shall be expended to provide financial aid to undergraduate students who exhibit financial need, including students who are scholarship recipients under s. 1009.984, to meet the cost of university attendance. This expenditure for need-based financial aid shall not supplant the amount of need-based aid provided to undergraduate students in the preceding fiscal year from financial aid fee revenues, the direct appropriation for financial assistance provided to state universities in the General Appropriations Act, or from private sources. The total amount of tuition differential waived under subparagraph (b)8. may be included in calculating the expenditures for need-based financial aid to undergraduate students required by this subsection.

(b) Each tuition differential is subject to the following conditions:

1. The tuition differential may be assessed on one or more undergraduate courses or on all undergraduate courses at a state university.

2. The tuition differential may vary by course or courses, campus or center location, and by institution. Each university board of trustees shall strive to maintain and increase enrollment in degree programs related to math, science, high technology, and other state or regional high-need fields when establishing tuition differentials by course.

3. For each state university that has total research and development expenditures for all fields of at least $100 million per year as reported annually to the National Science Foundation, the aggregate sum of tuition and the tuition differential may not be increased by more than 15 percent of the total charged for the aggregate sum of these fees in the preceding fiscal year. For each state university that has total research and development expenditures for all fields of less than $100 million per year as reported annually to the National Science Foundation, the aggregate sum of tuition and the tuition differential may not be increased by more than 15 percent of the total charged for the aggregate sum of these fees in the preceding fiscal year.

4. The aggregate sum of undergraduate tuition and fees per credit hour, including the tuition differential, may not exceed the national average of undergraduate tuition and fees at 4-year degree-granting public postsecondary educational institutions.

5. The tuition differential shall not be included in any award under the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program established pursuant to ss. 1009.53-1009.538.

6. Beneficiaries having prepaid tuition contracts pursuant to s. 1009.98(2)(b) which were in effect on July 1, 2007, and which remain in effect, are exempt from the payment of the tuition differential.

7. The tuition differential may not be charged to any student who was in attendance at the university before July 1, 2007, and who maintains continuous enrollment.

8. The tuition differential may be waived by the university for students who meet the eligibility requirements for the Florida public student assistance grant established in s. 1009.50.

9. Subject to approval by the Board of Governors, the tuition differential authorized pursuant to this subsection may take effect with the 2009 fall term.

(c) A university board of trustees may submit a proposal to the Board of Governors to implement a tuition differential for one or more undergraduate courses. At a minimum, the proposal shall:

1. Identify the course or courses for which the tuition differential will be assessed.

2. Indicate the amount that will be assessed for each tuition differential proposed.

3. Indicate the purpose of the tuition differential.

4. Indicate how the revenues from the tuition differential will be used.

5. Indicate how the university will monitor the success of the tuition differential in achieving the purpose for which the tuition differential is being assessed.

(d) The Board of Governors shall review each proposal and advise the university board of trustees of approval of the proposal, the need for additional information or revision to the proposal, or denial of the proposal. The Board of Governors shall establish a process for any university to revise a proposal or appeal a decision of the board.

(e) The Board of Governors shall submit a report to the President of the Senate, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, and the Governor describing the implementation of the provisions of this subsection no later than January 1, 2010, and no later than January 1 each year thereafter. The report shall summarize proposals received by the board during the preceding fiscal year and actions taken by the board in response to such proposals. In addition, the report shall provide the following information for each university that has been approved by the board to assess a tuition differential:

1. The course or courses for which the tuition differential was assessed and the amount assessed.

2. The total revenues generated by the tuition differential.

3. With respect to waivers authorized under subparagraph (b)8., the number of students eligible for a waiver, the number of students receiving a waiver, and the value of waivers provided.

4. Detailed expenditures of the revenues generated by the tuition differential.

5. Changes in retention rates, graduation rates, the percentage of students graduating with more than 110 percent of the hours required for graduation, pass rates on licensure examinations, the number of undergraduate course offerings, the percentage of undergraduate students who are taught by faculty, student-faculty ratios, and the average salaries of faculty who teach undergraduate courses.

(f) No state university shall be required to lower any tuition differential that was approved by the Board of Governors and in effect prior to January 1, 2009, in order to comply with the provisions of this subsection.

gnulaw77

Postby gnulaw77 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm still really surprised by the price disparity between UF and FSU posted earlier. If it stays the same, that's an additional 6k in tuition. Not a ton, but still.

Hmmm. Interesting. I asked this question of both the FSU and UF deans and both replied that they would be raising tuition by 15%. The $18,650 mentioned earlier from the UF ASD reflects that increase. But applying a 15% increase to FSU's current '10-'11 rates comes out to $18,500 for FSU.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible that FSU is also rising to $18,400 next year, but just hasn't released that actual number to anyone, like was done at the UF ASD?

As FeelTheHeat is saying, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense that such a disparity would exist between the two schools.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 am

It's very possible. FSU says they will decide what their tuition for the 2011 year is in the summer of 2011. So while UF has provided an estimate, I guess FSU wants to wait until they actually make a decision before sending out numbers. The estimated cost sheet FSU has posted on their website is for the 2010-2011 year.

Mattfl88

Postby Mattfl88 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:54 pm

These tuition raises worry me. The only schools I would consider paying sticker at are FSU and UF but if tuition keeps rising 15% each year, by our third year these schools will be very expensive. I wouldn't mind living in Florida (as I have my entire life) but would it be best to pay sticker to either of these schools when I have near full tuition at schools in the 70-90 range up north? Of course living expenses would be much higher at those other schools as well.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Mattfl88 wrote:These tuition raises worry me. The only schools I would consider paying sticker at are FSU and UF but if tuition keeps rising 15% each year, by our third year these schools will be very expensive. I wouldn't mind living in Florida (as I have my entire life) but would it be best to pay sticker to either of these schools when I have near full tuition at schools in the 70-90 range up north? Of course living expenses would be much higher at those other schools as well.

I was completely set on UF but now there is a good chance that Wake Forest is going to be cheaper for me.. which sucks. My heart is still at UF but I'm trying to make this as much of a business decision as possible and I'm not sure that it makes sense to pass up a higher ranked school in the region I want to work tha'ts cheaper. 15 percent raises would put us at 21,350 for our 2L year and 24,552.5 our 3L year.. that's pretty significant.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:48 pm

trialjunky wrote:

I disagree. I was in the "party" section. In Property, our professor had a midterm for present future interest during common law. The average of the years previously was 18 out of 25. After my section took the midterm we averaged 23 out of 25 with the majority of people getting 23 or higher. Plus, a lot of people in my section have scholarships.

I think with sections, their is a little groupthink. If the major outloud people in the section are study heavy/ party heavy the section is more than likely to follow that.

There are more than 60 people with merit based, renewable scholarships in section one. Could some of them be lying about it? Sure, but why would they? The 2Ls and 3Ls that I'm friends with completely disagree about UF section stacking, but I think there was some stacking this year. I feel ridiculous for even saying this, but a friend's uncle who is on the admissions committee told her that they were section stacking this year. They expected a certain number of them to withdraw, and then fill those seats with people from the wait list. They just didn't have as many people withdraw as expected. I don't take that as gospel, but I think it points towards stacking.

Are you sure the people in your section are on merit scholarships? I know several people in section three that got the one-time need based money, which would still be a scholarship, but wouldn't count towards section stacking.

Also, I don't think grades have anything to do with scholarship stacking. All three sections have really smart people. Section two has the majority of the top ten in our class after one semester, and they're the "real" party section. ;)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Yayyyy warflamingo! Send that deposit in ASAP! That makes your tuition below in-state now right?? :D

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:42 pm

mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

With the economy improving and the state budget crisis abating I sincerely doubt they can sustain these types of increases for much longer... At least, I hope they don't.

A 3.6 to 4.6 billion dollar deficit is nothing to scoff at

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Barbie wrote:Yayyyy warflamingo! Send that deposit in ASAP! That makes your tuition below in-state now right?? :D

yup! I am soooo excited and happy! I also found a checklist with the requirements to reclassify as in-state and it doesn't look too hard. I'm absolutely mailing my deposit tomorrow! Now to start apartment shopping!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”