U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:44 pm

flgator10 wrote:
I had planned on talking a little about academics in my PS but then I wanted to branch out and talk about experiences as well and then bring it back to future academic aspirations. Would anybody be willing to share their "academic" personal statement with me? I would just like to have an example. And as far as the DS...I'm extremely confused about that now. I had planned on writing about something that actually related to diversity, like maybe studying abroad? Or being a conversation partner with a student from the Middle East? Are they saying that we should write about our experiences like community service and that type of stuff for the DS?

IMO, a diverity statement should be about what makes YOU different. Typical examples include experiences related to being a certain race, poverty, severe medical problems, homsexuality, and do on. I don't think studying abroad nor being a partner with a student from the ME are good reasons to write a DS. This is just my opinion, so take with a grain of salt. I'm working on my academic one now, and when I'm done I can send it to you-- but I'm not promising it will be any good :oops:

KSP

Postby KSP » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:53 pm

Barbie summed it up spot-on. From what I gathered earlier, the DS is primarily just an opportunity to distinguish yourself from the other applicants vying for your seat. Like the admissions guy said today, there is no cookie-cutter response for what the statement can/should include. It's just another tool at your disposal to make your case persuasive to the admission committee.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Barbie wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
I had planned on talking a little about academics in my PS but then I wanted to branch out and talk about experiences as well and then bring it back to future academic aspirations. Would anybody be willing to share their "academic" personal statement with me? I would just like to have an example. And as far as the DS...I'm extremely confused about that now. I had planned on writing about something that actually related to diversity, like maybe studying abroad? Or being a conversation partner with a student from the Middle East? Are they saying that we should write about our experiences like community service and that type of stuff for the DS?

IMO, a diverity statement should be about what makes YOU different. Typical examples include experiences related to being a certain race, poverty, severe medical problems, homsexuality, and do on. I don't think studying abroad nor being a partner with a student from the ME are good reasons to write a DS. This is just my opinion, so take with a grain of salt. I'm working on my academic one now, and when I'm done I can send it to you-- but I'm not promising it will be any good :oops:

I completely understand and agree with what you're saying....but I feel like I have nothing that makes me diverse! I'm white, middle class, straight, and the only medical problems I've ever had is tendinitis in my rotator cuffs from swimming. Ugh this is going to drive me crazy! :?

And I would love it if you could send me your academic one. I would just like to have something to give me some kind of idea of what I need to be doing or writing about. Thanks so much!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:58 pm

flgator10 wrote:
I completely understand and agree with what you're saying....but I feel like I have nothing that makes me diverse! I'm white, middle class, straight, and the only medical problems I've ever had is tendinitis in my rotator cuffs from swimming. Ugh this is going to drive me crazy! :?

And I would love it if you could send me your academic one. I would just like to have something to give me some kind of idea of what I need to be doing or writing about. Thanks so much!

Honestly, then, I wouldn't write one. Just make your PS awesome!! And I should have it done by Mon/ Tues so I'll send it your way!

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:10 pm

KSP wrote:Went to the Roadmap to UF Law School event today. It was really informative and definitely an interesting session. Got some useful application information and the admissions staff behind the event were all very kind and open to questions. The most important thing I grasped there is they really stress using good judgment in completing every aspect of the application and presenting yourself as the most convincing "package-deal" as possible; although that may seem intuitive, it was good to hear it from the folks who will be reading through all these things. The adage for the day was very much "if it will help us know who you are, put it on the application."

Also, don't complete your admission statement as a get-to-know-me-boardgame. They don't like that. lol

My personal favorite of the day-

"I really, really want to go to UF because my girlfriend goes to med school here. Should I include that?"

.....crickets

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
KSP wrote:Went to the Roadmap to UF Law School event today. It was really informative and definitely an interesting session. Got some useful application information and the admissions staff behind the event were all very kind and open to questions. The most important thing I grasped there is they really stress using good judgment in completing every aspect of the application and presenting yourself as the most convincing "package-deal" as possible; although that may seem intuitive, it was good to hear it from the folks who will be reading through all these things. The adage for the day was very much "if it will help us know who you are, put it on the application."

Also, don't complete your admission statement as a get-to-know-me-boardgame. They don't like that. lol

My personal favorite of the day-

"I really, really want to go to UF because my girlfriend goes to med school here. Should I include that?"

.....crickets

For those of you who went, what was the overall atmosphere like? Did the students there seem (relatively) happy? What were your overall impressions?

KSP

Postby KSP » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Ildeuce wrote:My personal favorite of the day-

.....crickets

That was great. Doubly so because the admissions guy ultimately said he should include that on an addendum.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm

KSP wrote:

.....crickets

That was great. Doubly so because the admissions guy ultimately said he should include that on an addendum.

Seriously!? Maybe I should write an addendum about how I want to go to UF so I can get season football tickets.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:29 pm

flgator10 wrote:
KSP wrote:

.....crickets

Seriously!? Maybe I should write an addendum about how I want to go to UF so I can get season football tickets.

While we are on the topic, how do grad students get season tickets? I hear there are on the bottom of the food chain as far as tickets go....

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:32 pm

ns77770 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
KSP wrote:

.....crickets

While we are on the topic, how do grad students get season tickets? I hear there are on the bottom of the food chain as far as tickets go....

We enter the lottery like anyone else. Actually, people who are double gators have an awesome chance of getting tickets, since they have 5 entries in the lottery as compared to the 1 lottery entry that people coming to UF for the first time have.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:35 pm

mistergoft wrote:We enter the lottery like anyone else. Actually, people who are double gators have an awesome chance of getting tickets, since they have 5 entries in the lottery as compared to the 1 lottery entry that people coming to UF for the first time have.

My boyfriend's dad's boss is a BIIIIIG $$$ donator to to UF, so we get great tickets. 6th row, 50th yard line for LSU UF last year. What what!

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:37 pm

ns77770 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
KSP wrote:

.....crickets

For undergrad the more credits you had, the better your chances of getting tickets were. I lucked out and got them all 4 years of undergrad. I'm not sure how it works for grad students though.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Barbie wrote:
mistergoft wrote:We enter the lottery like anyone else. Actually, people who are double gators have an awesome chance of getting tickets, since they have 5 entries in the lottery as compared to the 1 lottery entry that people coming to UF for the first time have.

My boyfriend's dad's boss is a BIIIIIG $$$ donator to to UF, so we get great tickets. 6th row, 50th yard line for LSU UF last year. What what!

I didn't even get tickets because I was convinced I was transferring. Not good.

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Barbie wrote:

Jealous!! I've gotten lucky a couple of times- 3rd row for Tennessee last year...right behind Lane Kiffin, definitely made it exciting with all the students shouting obscenities at him the entire game....and 2nd row for LSU 2 years ago. 6th row 50 yard line sounds amazing. He must donate a ton of money for those tickets!

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:55 pm

ns77770 wrote:
flgator10 wrote:
KSP wrote:

.....crickets

Yep, you'll be on the freshman-tier when it comes to getting tickets. You enter a better % chance tier of getting tickets at 30, 60, and 90 credits.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:55 pm

flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Jealous!! I've gotten lucky a couple of times- 3rd row for Tennessee last year...right behind Lane Kiffin, definitely made it exciting with all the students shouting obscenities at him the entire game....and 2nd row for LSU 2 years ago. 6th row 50 yard line sounds amazing. He must donate a ton of money for those tickets!

Yeah apparently so!! They offered to write the LS and recommend I be accepted and all that but I told them not to. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me haha. We sat with a bunch of alumni which isn't as fun as the student section, but its okay :)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:47 pm

Application sent! And suddenly I am so sure that I will NEVER be accepted :( Oh, anxiety!

Anyone else in?

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Nothing like a great win on the football field to motivate me to study for the LSAT! Go Gators!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:53 pm

contemplating adding UF to my list of schools I will be applying to if I hit my target LSAT range. Im from FL and went to UG in florida. Dont know if I could survive 3 years in Gainesville. Or if I want to be stuck in Florida.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Sandro777 wrote:contemplating adding UF to my list of schools I will be applying to if I hit my target LSAT range. Im from FL and went to UG in florida. Dont know if I could survive 3 years in Gainesville. Or if I want to be stuck in Florida.

sounds like you don't really want to...

UF is great :D

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 am

LSN says with my PT avg of my past 8 or so Pts Im a consider at 46%. probably be a toss up with my gpa so we will see. Does anyone know if I would still qualify for Florida In State tuition if I lived there for the past 23 years but recently (less than a year ago) moved to GA and got a DL there?

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:49 am

Sandro777 wrote:LSN says with my PT avg of my past 8 or so Pts Im a consider at 46%. probably be a toss up with my gpa so we will see. Does anyone know if I would still qualify for Florida In State tuition if I lived there for the past 23 years but recently (less than a year ago) moved to GA and got a DL there?

Don't quote me on this, but I think if you had residency for tuition purposes and then try to claim residency again within a year you automatically get it no matter what you did within the past year...

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 am

Thought there would be some rule like that. Although I'd much rather have UGA in state, in state for FSU/UF will come in handy because they are both schools that should be in my range even if I dont get the top score im looking for.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:19 am

Sandro777 wrote:Thought there would be some rule like that. Although I'd much rather have UGA in state, in state for FSU/UF will come in handy because they are both schools that should be in my range even if I dont get the top score im looking for.

It doesn't work like that, I'm sure. You can only get in-state for ONE state, I'm almost positive...

Youll need a 164 for a prayer at UGA, and a 165 for a pretty good shot. (from the GPA in your prof)
and prob at LEAST a 163+ for UF and FSU

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:21 am

Sandro777 wrote:Thought there would be some rule like that. Although I'd much rather have UGA in state, in state for FSU/UF will come in handy because they are both schools that should be in my range even if I dont get the top score im looking for.

This is from the UF website"

"I was previously enrolled at a Florida state institution and classified as a Florida resident for tuition purposes. I abandoned my Florida domicile less than 12 months ago and I am now re-establishing Florida legal residence."

So I think you're good as far as FL goes...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”