U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:47 pm

leidice wrote:
Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:Im sitting in Gainesville right now at my job and watching across the street as they build a giant Grad-only complex about 8 blocks from the school. It looks like its gonna be nice and they say done by August.


Is that the one they advertised in our packets at ASD? Because if so, it is REDICULOUSLY priced! I don't have it on me, but I remember I showed warflamingo and we were both like... wtf? I think a 2 bedroom there is almost the same price as the huge 4bedroom ranch with land & a garage I just deposited on. I'm thinking they will def have to lower the prices.


Yeah.. I think even the 4 bedroom ones turned out to cost between 700-800 per person. Insane.


I'm seriously already planning my welcoming party. This should have a HUGE impact on your law school choice. Just sayin :)

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 pm

leidice wrote:
Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:Im sitting in Gainesville right now at my job and watching across the street as they build a giant Grad-only complex about 8 blocks from the school. It looks like its gonna be nice and they say done by August.


Is that the one they advertised in our packets at ASD? Because if so, it is REDICULOUSLY priced! I don't have it on me, but I remember I showed warflamingo and we were both like... wtf? I think a 2 bedroom there is almost the same price as the huge 4bedroom ranch with land & a garage I just deposited on. I'm thinking they will def have to lower the prices.


Yeah.. I think even the 4 bedroom ones turned out to cost between 700-800 per person. Insane.

I pay ~600 per month for my single bedroom. (that's including electric/water/etc).

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 pm

mistergoft wrote:
leidice wrote:
Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:Im sitting in Gainesville right now at my job and watching across the street as they build a giant Grad-only complex about 8 blocks from the school. It looks like its gonna be nice and they say done by August.


Is that the one they advertised in our packets at ASD? Because if so, it is REDICULOUSLY priced! I don't have it on me, but I remember I showed warflamingo and we were both like... wtf? I think a 2 bedroom there is almost the same price as the huge 4bedroom ranch with land & a garage I just deposited on. I'm thinking they will def have to lower the prices.


Yeah.. I think even the 4 bedroom ones turned out to cost between 700-800 per person. Insane.

I pay ~600 per month for my single bedroom. (that's including electric/water/etc).


complex?

User avatar
leidice
Posts: 241
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:05 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby leidice » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 pm

Barbie wrote:
leidice wrote:
Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:Im sitting in Gainesville right now at my job and watching across the street as they build a giant Grad-only complex about 8 blocks from the school. It looks like its gonna be nice and they say done by August.


Is that the one they advertised in our packets at ASD? Because if so, it is REDICULOUSLY priced! I don't have it on me, but I remember I showed warflamingo and we were both like... wtf? I think a 2 bedroom there is almost the same price as the huge 4bedroom ranch with land & a garage I just deposited on. I'm thinking they will def have to lower the prices.


Yeah.. I think even the 4 bedroom ones turned out to cost between 700-800 per person. Insane.


I'm seriously already planning my welcoming party. This should have a HUGE impact on your law school choice. Just sayin :)


Aw, man!! You need to throw one before Apr 1 so I can see the quality of parties you throw. THEN that may help me make my decision.. y'know, if it would even be worth going to UF to attend these parties of yours.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Indeed, I believe it is the expensive one from the ASD packet. I just figured anyone contemplating the Bartram might be able to afford this place too.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Deuce wrote:
mistergoft wrote:I pay ~600 per month for my single bedroom. (that's including electric/water/etc).


complex?

Will pm to anyone who is interested, not going to post though.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:Im sitting in Gainesville right now at my job and watching across the street as they build a giant Grad-only complex about 8 blocks from the school. It looks like its gonna be nice and they say done by August.


Is that the one they advertised in our packets at ASD? Because if so, it is REDICULOUSLY priced! I don't have it on me, but I remember I showed warflamingo and we were both like... wtf? I think a 2 bedroom there is almost the same price as the huge 4bedroom ranch with land & a garage I just deposited on. I'm thinking they will def have to lower the prices.



If it includes everything (e.g., electricity, cable, internet, etc.) then a house may not be cheaper. I am looking at houses but the utilities don't make it much cheaper :?

gotcha
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby gotcha » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Neo wrote:If it includes everything (e.g., electricity, cable, internet, etc.) then a house may not be cheaper. I am looking at houses but the utilities don't make it much cheaper :?


Have to be careful with those Gainesville houses. Most of them, especially near campus, are old and utilities are high because of it.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:Im sitting in Gainesville right now at my job and watching across the street as they build a giant Grad-only complex about 8 blocks from the school. It looks like its gonna be nice and they say done by August.


Is that the one they advertised in our packets at ASD? Because if so, it is REDICULOUSLY priced! I don't have it on me, but I remember I showed warflamingo and we were both like... wtf? I think a 2 bedroom there is almost the same price as the huge 4bedroom ranch with land & a garage I just deposited on. I'm thinking they will def have to lower the prices.

Yeah those were absurd!

I'm really excited because I may have found an awesome roommate! Now I just need to find an awesome apartment. :D

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Neo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:Im sitting in Gainesville right now at my job and watching across the street as they build a giant Grad-only complex about 8 blocks from the school. It looks like its gonna be nice and they say done by August.


Is that the one they advertised in our packets at ASD? Because if so, it is REDICULOUSLY priced! I don't have it on me, but I remember I showed warflamingo and we were both like... wtf? I think a 2 bedroom there is almost the same price as the huge 4bedroom ranch with land & a garage I just deposited on. I'm thinking they will def have to lower the prices.



If it includes everything (e.g., electricity, cable, internet, etc.) then a house may not be cheaper. I am looking at houses but the utilities don't make it much cheaper :?


No. No way.
A 2 bedroom at this place is 1768-1800 a month
I shopped around, and decent 3-4 bedroom houses within 1-2 miles of the law school were around 1100-1400


900 per person vs. 300/350 per person are not justified by utility bills.
I expect my electricity bill to be around 200-250, granted the house I'm renting is newer than some others.

edit: it says all inclusive minus electricity cap? the what??

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah, I would feel a little hesitant about the seat deposit too just because of WL concerns…

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:10 pm

edit: it says all inclusive minus electricity cap? the what??


an electricity cap is given at a lot of the complexes. For instance, your rent will be 400 all inclusive, but you can only run up 40 bucks a person in electricity costs. Anything over and they will charge you extra for the month

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
edit: it says all inclusive minus electricity cap? the what??


an electricity cap is given at a lot of the complexes. For instance, your rent will be 400 all inclusive, but you can only run up 40 bucks a person in electricity costs. Anything over and they will charge you extra for the month


Ooh got it. Either way, I don't think our sweet little law school loans budget $900 per person/ per month anyway :(

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:54 pm

Barbie wrote:
Neo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
kwais wrote:Im sitting in Gainesville right now at my job and watching across the street as they build a giant Grad-only complex about 8 blocks from the school. It looks like its gonna be nice and they say done by August.


Is that the one they advertised in our packets at ASD? Because if so, it is REDICULOUSLY priced! I don't have it on me, but I remember I showed warflamingo and we were both like... wtf? I think a 2 bedroom there is almost the same price as the huge 4bedroom ranch with land & a garage I just deposited on. I'm thinking they will def have to lower the prices.



If it includes everything (e.g., electricity, cable, internet, etc.) then a house may not be cheaper. I am looking at houses but the utilities don't make it much cheaper :?


No. No way.
A 2 bedroom at this place is 1768-1800 a month
I shopped around, and decent 3-4 bedroom houses within 1-2 miles of the law school were around 1100-1400


900 per person vs. 300/350 per person are not justified by utility bills.
I expect my electricity bill to be around 200-250, granted the house I'm renting is newer than some others.

edit: it says all inclusive minus electricity cap? the what??



$1400 plus $250 in electricity plus cable and internet won't be much, if at all, cheaper than $1800 bucks. But if your point is that these places are overpriced and there are cheaper apartments, then that is a different story. All I was saying is that a house isn't much cheaper.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Neo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Neo wrote:
If it includes everything (e.g., electricity, cable, internet, etc.) then a house may not be cheaper. I am looking at houses but the utilities don't make it much cheaper :?


No. No way.
A 2 bedroom at this place is 1768-1800 a month
I shopped around, and decent 3-4 bedroom houses within 1-2 miles of the law school were around 1100-1400


900 per person vs. 300/350 per person are not justified by utility bills.
I expect my electricity bill to be around 200-250, granted the house I'm renting is newer than some others.

edit: it says all inclusive minus electricity cap? the what??



$1400 plus $250 in electricity plus cable and internet won't be much, if at all, cheaper than $1800 bucks. But if your point is that these places are overpriced and there are cheaper apartments, then that is a different story. All I was saying is that a house isn't much cheaper.


Come on Neo, I know we are prospective law students and not math majors, but this is simple. The first figure, of 1400 + utils (purposefully chose the most expensive end of the houses that I listed, I see) is to be divided by 4 people. The second figure, of 1800, is only to be divided by 2.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:12 pm

To be fair I also chose the most expensive end of the apartments that you listed. I used the high values on both just to compare. Also, I wasn't dividing them. I just took them as the whole numbers since I don't plan on living with anybody and so that's not my first reaction. But if you're dividing them, then they will be, of course, cheaper.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:16 pm

Neo wrote:To be fair I also chose the most expensive end of the apartments that you listed. I used the high values on both just to compare. Also, I wasn't dividing them. I just took them as the whole numbers since I don't plan on living with anybody and so that's not my first reaction. But if you're dividing them, then they will be, of course, cheaper.


It is irrelevant to make an argument on a 4bedroom house vs. a 2bedroom apartment in respect to the same amount of people living there, just because that typically wouldn't happen (I am, though, the rare instance where it would). But, you can live in a one bedroom in this same complex for only $1139! (I really hope no one tries to squeeze this out of the 10k we are alotted for both food & rent!)

User avatar
Moose Thompson
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:20 pm

leidice wrote:Aw, man!! You need to throw one before Apr 1 so I can see the quality of parties you throw. THEN that may help me make my decision.. y'know, if it would even be worth going to UF to attend these parties of yours.


I can promise you one thing about UF Law, we know how to party. You won't be disappointed on that end if you decide to come here.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Neo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Barbie wrote:
Neo wrote:To be fair I also chose the most expensive end of the apartments that you listed. I used the high values on both just to compare. Also, I wasn't dividing them. I just took them as the whole numbers since I don't plan on living with anybody and so that's not my first reaction. But if you're dividing them, then they will be, of course, cheaper.


It is irrelevant to make an argument on a 4bedroom house vs. a 2bedroom apartment in respect to the same amount of people living there, just because that typically wouldn't happen (I am, though, the rare instance where it would). But, you can live in a one bedroom in this same complex for only $1139! (I really hope no one tries to squeeze this out of the 10k we are alotted for both food & rent!)



I was just telling you what I was doing. Besides, if you don't take into account the same number of people living there, then you are no longer comparing apples to apples (which was my whole point).

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Neo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Neo wrote:To be fair I also chose the most expensive end of the apartments that you listed. I used the high values on both just to compare. Also, I wasn't dividing them. I just took them as the whole numbers since I don't plan on living with anybody and so that's not my first reaction. But if you're dividing them, then they will be, of course, cheaper.


It is irrelevant to make an argument on a 4bedroom house vs. a 2bedroom apartment in respect to the same amount of people living there, just because that typically wouldn't happen (I am, though, the rare instance where it would). But, you can live in a one bedroom in this same complex for only $1139! (I really hope no one tries to squeeze this out of the 10k we are alotted for both food & rent!)



I was just telling you what I was doing. Besides, if you don't take into account the same number of people living there, then you are no longer comparing apples to apples (which was my whole point).


:roll:
No.
An apple would be the amount of rent a single student would be paying at each location. The entire discussion revolved around the price of rent per student. You, sir, were comparing apples to oranges.

jtkhsc
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby jtkhsc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:04 am

Current Status: Letter issued (5-10 days for receipt)
Current Status Date: 3/3/2011

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:16 am

jtkhsc wrote:Current Status: Letter issued (5-10 days for receipt)
Current Status Date: 3/3/2011


Ooo! A recent batch of rejections went out, but last year this batch was followed closely by an acceptance batch. May be good news for you :) Oh, and welcome to TLS!

J21
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby J21 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:38 am

jtkhsc wrote:Current Status: Letter issued (5-10 days for receipt)
Current Status Date: 3/3/2011


+ 1

User avatar
FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 am

still file under review 1/28

gpjc28
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby gpjc28 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:09 pm

paid my seat deposit today! :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”