U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FeelTheHeat

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:14 am

Aro5389 wrote:Because when I think of having a great time, I think of living in Gainesville during the summer time.

I lol'd

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 am

Aro5389 wrote:Because when I think of having a great time, I think of living in Gainesville during the summer time.

+1 This is the shittiest place I have ever spent a summer. A cool breezy day is in the high 90's

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 pm

My move in date is Aug 1st. Thats plenty of time to have my home perfectly decorated before school starts :) I'm actually going to be homeless/ between leases for a month, so I think hubby and I are gonna travel a little-- go see some family in Jacksonville, Georgia, maybe even head up north for a bit.

Pandelion

Postby Pandelion » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:11 pm

I see a bunch of people on here got "Letter Sent" on Monday, Feb 28th. Did anyone get that status on Tuesday, March 1st? I did and it kind of messes with the idea of Monday rejections and Friday acceptances.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:11 pm

I'm so tempted to submit my deposit already, but I'm so scared at the same time :shock: I don't know if I can handle that kind of finality yet. :?

gator1

Postby gator1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Pandelion wrote:I see a bunch of people on here got "Letter Sent" on Monday, Feb 28th. Did anyone get that status on Tuesday, March 1st? I did and it kind of messes with the idea of Monday rejections and Friday acceptances.

A shiver just went down my spine...

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:16 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I'm so tempted to submit my deposit already, but I'm so scared at the same time :shock: I don't know if I can handle that kind of finality yet. :?

On that topic, was wondering what everyone's opinion on this is. Mainly, because me dad has been freaking out on me because he thinks that in my wait for UF, I may lose my seat where I have been accepted. Anywho, these schools issue more acceptances then they have seats, right? Is there any benefit to paying the deposit early? Will schools close the doors on accepted students if they pay on say March 22 when there is an April 1 deadline? I'm just curious as to what you guys think. Thanks!

gator1

Postby gator1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 pm

alicrimson wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I'm so tempted to submit my deposit already, but I'm so scared at the same time :shock: I don't know if I can handle that kind of finality yet. :?

On that topic, was wondering what everyone's opinion on this is. Mainly, because me dad has been freaking out on me because he thinks that in my wait for UF, I may lose my seat where I have been accepted. Anywho, these schools issue more acceptances then they have seats, right? Is there any benefit to paying the deposit early? Will schools close the doors on accepted students if they pay on say March 22 when there is an April 1 deadline? I'm just curious as to what you guys think. Thanks!

not at all, you'd be amazed at the number of people who actually decline offers from UF...and Harvard lol and that's why people on waitlists get in. Your seat is safe provided that you indeed make the deposit deadline.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Nevermind, definitely not sending my deposit in yet. I just read this on the website about what submitting a deposit means to UF:
I affirm that I plan to enroll at the University of Florida Levin College of Law in Fall 2011, that I have no commitment to attend another law school, that I have not deferred enrollment at another law school, that I will not apply to another law school, and that I have withdrawn from other law schools to which I have been admitted.

Oddly enough, I'm ready to send in my deposit, but I'm not ready to withdraw from my other acceptances...they are like my security blanket :oops: So does this mean we can't double deposit with UF and another school or are they just trying to scare us? I never read this on the paper enrollment form, just the online one. Thoughts?

mtothelissa

Postby mtothelissa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Well, you also need to keep in mind that it is a total speculation that the letters will be sent out the same way. It is just something Rivers noticed and posted about for opinions (and possibly to drive us all crazy).

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:09 pm

mtothelissa wrote:

Well, you also need to keep in mind that it is a total speculation that the letters will be sent out the same way. It is just something Rivers noticed and posted about for opinions (and possibly to drive us all crazy).

Oh, no, I was accepted back in January. I was talking about sending in my seat deposit already even though it isn't due until April 1st.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:33 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
mtothelissa wrote:

Oh, no, I was accepted back in January. I was talking about sending in my seat deposit already even though it isn't due until April 1st.

You mean, you aren't going to wait for Baylor? :-P

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:38 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Nevermind, definitely not sending my deposit in yet. I just read this on the website about what submitting a deposit means to UF:
I affirm that I plan to enroll at the University of Florida Levin College of Law in Fall 2011, that I have no commitment to attend another law school, that I have not deferred enrollment at another law school, that I will not apply to another law school, and that I have withdrawn from other law schools to which I have been admitted.

Oddly enough, I'm ready to send in my deposit, but I'm not ready to withdraw from my other acceptances...they are like my security blanket :oops: So does this mean we can't double deposit with UF and another school or are they just trying to scare us? I never read this on the paper enrollment form, just the online one. Thoughts?

I always thought that you weren't supposed to double deposit anywhere and that you withdraw all acceptances [you don't have to withdraw holds, waitlists, etc] for any school you are not making that singular deposit for. I mean, it makes sense to me. It frees up admission alot. Though, I'm sure people will double deposit and I'm definitely sure that that is frowned upon. That being said, I'm not sure there are any real consequences outside of losing money on one of your seat deposits.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:43 pm

alicrimson wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Nevermind, definitely not sending my deposit in yet. I just read this on the website about what submitting a deposit means to UF:

I always thought that you weren't supposed to double deposit anywhere and that you withdraw all acceptances [you don't have to withdraw holds, waitlists, etc] for any school you are not making that singular deposit for. I mean, it makes sense to me. It frees up admission alot. Though, I'm sure people will double deposit and I'm definitely sure that that is frowned upon. That being said, I'm not sure there are any real consequences outside of losing money on one of your seat deposits.

0L here, not a lawyer, but, I'd guess that submitting your deposit knowing full well the above text in bold would somehow contstitute a contract between you and the school, similar to an ED contract. I'm not sure if UF would be able to force you to not attend another school, but if push came to shove, I think they'd have a pretty good case to say you can't. Even if you could "get away" with double-dipping, do you really want to start off your legal career with a lie?

KatieKat

Postby KatieKat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Pandelion wrote:I see a bunch of people on here got "Letter Sent" on Monday, Feb 28th. Did anyone get that status on Tuesday, March 1st? I did and it kind of messes with the idea of Monday rejections and Friday acceptances.

FWIW, I got the "letter sent" status on a Monday (2/21) and I was accepted. Don't put too much weight on when your status changed. And good luck!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:54 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
mtothelissa wrote:

You mean, you aren't going to wait for Baylor? :-P

hahahaha no way, Baylor can suck it now! :lol:

mtothelissa

Postby mtothelissa » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Oops! thewarflamingo, I quoted the wrong person! Haha.

This was the quote I meant to use:

Rivers711

Postby Rivers711 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:13 pm

I made a deposit to FSU. The only stipulation that I saw about making a deposit to them was that you don't get a refund should you choose to withdraw. I guess, based upon their "contract", if I decide to attend UF (after having been accepted of course) I'd have to withdraw from FSU first instead of doing a double deposit.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:16 pm

You can double deposit, but you're not supposed to. I'm holding off on withdrawing from one other school as a security. I also did get a HUGE speeding ticket on my way to gainesville to pay my seat deposit lol, which I have to send in a thing about. Who knows how they will feel about that!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Barbie wrote:

You can double deposit, but you're not supposed to. I'm holding off on withdrawing from one other school as a security. I also did get a HUGE speeding ticket on my way to gainesville to pay my seat deposit lol, which I have to send in a thing about. Who knows how they will feel about that!

What school are you hanging on to? FSU or UIUC?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:29 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:What school are you hanging on to? FSU or UIUC?

Stetson w/ 90k scholly. Its pretty much for if something happens with my health and I need to stay in Tampa. They also waived my seat deposit $$, so once I get my next MRI and its clean I'll cut that too.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

+1. You are NOT going to be that excited when the heat of June comes around

I'm from South Florida, it can't be any worse than that

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 pm

ns77770 wrote:

Try living in a 90 degree ghost town that still somehow always has congested traffic against all odds.

mrr111

Postby mrr111 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

For the people that have already been accepted, did the "fees" section on your status checker change?

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 pm

rman1201 wrote:
ns77770 wrote:

Try living in a 90 degree ghost town that still somehow always has congested traffic against all odds.

Dude I love 90 degree ghost towns that always have traffic against all odds... Plus stop making it suck as I have to move up there early because my current lease is up in May.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”