U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Classygal87

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Classygal87 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:15 pm

After ASD pretty certain I will be attending UF next year : ) Very excited. See ya all in Gainsville!

gnulaw77

Postby gnulaw77 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Any other Florida residents getting flak from UF Residency department (the school, not law admissions) about proving their residency status? I've been in FL since 2007, and not for school. I've sent them what they asked for -- leases, utility bills, etc. -- now they want me to write a statement with my activities and locations since June '09!

Is this a trend, or am I their audit project for this year?

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm

gnulaw77 wrote:Any other Florida residents getting flak from UF Residency department (the school, not law admissions) about proving their residency status? I've been in FL since 2007, and not for school. I've sent them what they asked for -- leases, utility bills, etc. -- now they want me to write a statement with my activities and locations since June '09!

Project. I've been here since '08 and they didn't give me any flak. Sorry, that sucks.

gnulaw77

Postby gnulaw77 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:57 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Project. I've been here since '08 and they didn't give me any flak. Sorry, that sucks.

Thanks, I figured so. The person on the phone even tried to tell me that what they had specifically named in the letter ("utility bills") weren't evidence because, and I quote, "anyone can pay a utility bill, it doesn't mean they live there." When I asked why that was in the letter, I got put on hold.

I'm sure it will all work itself out, but it kind of makes me nervous about accepting on the basis of cheap resident tuition!

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 pm

still file reviewed no decision reached (1/28/11)....if that pattern is still correct with rejection/acception...sorta relieved, but i'd rathe rhave them both be acceptances :-( to eliminate the mystery

Stardaze22

Postby Stardaze22 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:still file reviewed no decision reached (1/28/11)....if that pattern is still correct with rejection/acception...sorta relieved, but i'd rathe rhave them both be acceptances :-( to eliminate the mystery

I wish they were both acceptances! I've been depressed all day in regards to my coming rejection! blah!

Rivers711

Postby Rivers711 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Stardaze22 wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:still file reviewed no decision reached (1/28/11)....if that pattern is still correct with rejection/acception...sorta relieved, but i'd rathe rhave them both be acceptances :-( to eliminate the mystery

I wish they were both acceptances! I've been depressed all day in regards to my coming rejection! blah!

The whole reject/accept pattern isn't a for sure thing at all. It's what happened last year and what may be happening now. But no one really knows until they actually open up their letters. Cheer up!

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Rivers711 wrote:
Stardaze22 wrote:

The whole reject/accept pattern isn't a for sure thing at all. It's what happened last year and what may be happening now. But no one really knows until they actually open up their letters. Cheer up!

Good luck to everybody, I hope you are all in... I remember the anxiety I had when I was waiting for my letter!

leefair123

Postby leefair123 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:51 pm

no decision reached since 11/23 .... fingers crossed

mtothelissa

Postby mtothelissa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Rivers711 wrote:
Stardaze22 wrote:

Look at what you've started! Haha.

Stardaze22

Postby Stardaze22 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Rivers711 wrote:
Stardaze22 wrote:

just seems as if this would be the rejections based on everyone's numbers! :-\

Neo

Postby Neo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm

gnulaw77 wrote:Any other Florida residents getting flak from UF Residency department (the school, not law admissions) about proving their residency status? I've been in FL since 2007, and not for school. I've sent them what they asked for -- leases, utility bills, etc. -- now they want me to write a statement with my activities and locations since June '09!

I don't think you are the audit project. The same thing happened to me! They sent me a letter saying that the information I gave them was not adequate to establish whether or not I was a resident (and I filled out everything except what my summer plans were). They asked me to write a letter describing my activities from August of last year to August of this coming year. After I sent in the letter I called to check in on what was going on. The guy said they had received the letter and I was classified as in state. I asked him why I had to do this and he said that I just didn't put enough information on the questions and they needed to have everything in case they get audited so they could prove that I am actually instate. So, it's not really a big deal. Just write the letter and you'll be fine!

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Out of random interest, anyone who has "letter sent", did any of you guys sends an LOCI while waiting under "file reviewed, no decision"?

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:16 pm

I've lived here for over 15 years, but still had to appeal to be a resident. Florida laws are just pretty stupid and out of date when it comes to stuff like this.

gnulaw77

Postby gnulaw77 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Neo wrote:I don't think you are the audit project. The same thing happened to me! They sent me a letter saying that the information I gave them was not adequate to establish whether or not I was a resident (and I filled out everything except what my summer plans were). They asked me to write a letter describing my activities from August of last year to August of this coming year. After I sent in the letter I called to check in on what was going on. The guy said they had received the letter and I was classified as in state. I asked him why I had to do this and he said that I just didn't put enough information on the questions and they needed to have everything in case they get audited so they could prove that I am actually instate. So, it's not really a big deal. Just write the letter and you'll be fine!

Thanks, Neo. It's nice to know this eventually ends positively!

kovolev

Postby kovolev » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Count me among the people who were unsure pre-visit, underwhelmed by the formal ASD, but fell in love with the overall atmosphere and people. For reasons I can't even explain...it just felt so right being there. See you all in a few months!

jdwishes

Postby jdwishes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:Out of random interest, anyone who has "letter sent", did any of you guys sends an LOCI while waiting under "file reviewed, no decision"?

No, didn't send LOCI. UF wasn't high on my list, so I decided to wait it out. Strong GPA, but LSAT slightly below their 25th percentile...anticipating the rejection letter.

Stardaze22

Postby Stardaze22 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:Out of random interest, anyone who has "letter sent", did any of you guys sends an LOCI while waiting under "file reviewed, no decision"?

never did...maybe should have, but wasn't sure of how much good it really would have done.

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:38 pm

thanks for the input

bookofcarpetsamples

Postby bookofcarpetsamples » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:40 pm

i visited, sat in on classes, did the tour, etc. and followed up with a loci expressing my intent to attend uf over another higher ranked school that i had already been admitted to. fully expecting a rejection letter to be on its way...good thing i'll be happy at the other school.

Stardaze22

Postby Stardaze22 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:53 pm

bookofcarpetsamples wrote:i visited, sat in on classes, did the tour, etc. and followed up with a loci expressing my intent to attend uf over another higher ranked school that i had already been admitted to. fully expecting a rejection letter to be on its way...good thing i'll be happy at the other school.

that is how I feel..I know I will be happy at the other school I am planning on attending..but still, no one likes to be rejected. lol.

jdwishes

Postby jdwishes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Stardaze22 wrote:
bookofcarpetsamples wrote:i visited, sat in on classes, did the tour, etc. and followed up with a loci expressing my intent to attend uf over another higher ranked school that i had already been admitted to. fully expecting a rejection letter to be on its way...good thing i'll be happy at the other school.

that is how I feel..I know I will be happy at the other school I am planning on attending..but still, no one likes to be rejected. lol.

+1 Looks like some of us "rejects" will be just fine. :)

mrr111

Postby mrr111 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:07 pm

I didn't send a LOCI after I applied, however, I did send a "why UF" statement with my initial application. Both my LSAT and UGPA are subpar, so it was a definite reach for me! I am really interested in their family law program and wanted to make that known from the beginning, but I, too, will be happy with my other options!

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Neo wrote:
gnulaw77 wrote:I don't think you are the audit project. The same thing happened to me! They sent me a letter saying that the information I gave them was not adequate to establish whether or not I was a resident (and I filled out everything except what my summer plans were). They asked me to write a letter describing my activities from August of last year to August of this coming year. After I sent in the letter I called to check in on what was going on. The guy said they had received the letter and I was classified as in state. I asked him why I had to do this and he said that I just didn't put enough information on the questions and they needed to have everything in case they get audited so they could prove that I am actually instate. So, it's not really a big deal. Just write the letter and you'll be fine!

I also don't think you were an "audit project." I was an out-of-state at UF my 1L year, and that next summer the legislature changed the statute so you had to prove by a clear and convincing evidence standard that you are a resident (among other requirements). Before, it was less stringent. The statute is located here:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/ind ... 09.21.html

EDIT: Note to 0L's--a "clear and convincing" evidence standard is between "preponderance of the evidence" std. and the "beyond a reasonable doubt" std.--so it's roughly 75% certain.
Last edited by GatorStudent on Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gator1

Postby gator1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:48 pm

So I checked my status today and it still had the "no decision..." combo. I just wanted to add my two cents by saying that my numbers are not ideal or anything - they're actually both below the median. However, I am currently at UF finishing my last semester as an undergrad, I'm a minority and all my letters of recommendations came from professors at UF. I do not know how much of an impact the things I've previously mentioned will have on the upcoming decision but as you can see...not even I was an automatic admit just because I went to UF, etc. so don't lose hope! I've spent 4 years of my life here going to football games and the best house parties in the WORLD and yes, I had the privilege of sharing a class with TEBOW the legend while he was still a student here...this place is AMAZING!

I really hope I get to spend 3 more years here and hang out with all of you guys come fall! I know the best places to shop, rent, study, work out, you name it....just get in touch with me if you have any questions concerning the city and the university at large :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”