U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mrr111

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby mrr111 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:09 am

For those that are still waiting.....my status is now "Letter issued (5-10 days for reciept).

Rivers711

Postby Rivers711 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:56 am

mrr111 wrote:For those that are still waiting.....my status is now "Letter issued (5-10 days for reciept).

Last year, around this exact time, UF issued two large batches of letters on two separate days of the same week (Monday and Friday). Those whose letters were mailed on Monday were rejected and those whose letters were sent Friday were accepted. You're the first indication that history may be repeating itself (although maybe not in the same order). I guess we'll know for sure if more people recieve the same status update.
Last edited by Rivers711 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

valentina5

Postby valentina5 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:00 am

oh wow..thx for the info..let's see what happens...

mrr111

Postby mrr111 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:04 am

I believe that I am, in fact, in a pile of rejections. I believe that around the same time last year, the first batch of rejections were sent out. I hope I am wrong! But I am trying to be realistic!

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:27 am

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with ASD because I don't think I really learned anything I didn't already know and the tour was WAY too short so I barely got to see anything! We didn't even go in the library, WTF???? I'm going back tomorrow to look around the school some more. It really sucked that we couldn't ask the career services lady questions and that the financial aid lady wasn't there. HOWEVER, I really enjoyed hanging out with my future classmates which was the most important part to me. I'm happy to report that there were minimal douches at ASD. Seriously, I had the greatest time this weekend and I'm so sad that I have to leave tomorrow. I'm going to Colorado's ASD next weekend because they gave me a stipend so free vacation FTW, but I'm confident that it'll be nowhere near as awesome as this weekend was. I lovvvvve all the UF TLSers <3

So yeah...I will absolutely be at UF in the fall unless by some miracle I get off of UT's waitlist. Now I just need to marry a Floridian for some in-state tuition! :lol:

I'm going back to campus tomorrow too! I want to see where the law review office is. Going to drop off a check for my seat deposit too ;)

Since you attended both events, anything in particular that sold you on UF over FSU beyond the obvious?

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:27 am

Also, if anyone took pics, post them!

bigben5289

Postby bigben5289 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:36 am

I have the same status, "letter issued"

Too bad I am leaving the country for spring break so i wont find out till after i get back.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 am

Rivers711 wrote:
mrr111 wrote:For those that are still waiting.....my status is now "Letter issued (5-10 days for reciept).

Last year, around this exact time, UF issued two large batches of letters on two separate days of the same week (Monday and Friday). Those whose letters were mailed on Monday were rejected and those whose letters were sent Friday were accepted. You're the first indication that history may be repeating itself (although maybe not in the same order). I guess we'll know for sure if more people recieve the same status update.

That is solid research work lol

Rivers711

Postby Rivers711 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:42 am

bigben5289 wrote:I have the same status, "letter issued"

Too bad I am leaving the country for spring break so i wont find out till after i get back.

Would you mind posting your stats? If you do mind, no worries. :)

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 pm

novab wrote:UF has done nothing to try and get me to come to their school. If you were to ask me 3 months ago I would have told you I was 99% sure I would be going to UF. I was accepted the beginning of Feb, received a scholarship offer (6k per year - I am already instate) a week later. I havent received any calls or e-mails from current students or alumni. Some of the other schools I have gotten into are "better" (rankings wise) than UF and have given me substantially more money.

I requested an increase from UF and they said that they will look into and let me know by the end of the month. W&M (which already gave me a better deal) got back to me after one week and increased my scholarship by 50%. I will be attending there. They have had more than one person contact me to ask questions. I was able to talk to the career services dean when I visited a litte over a week ago, met with the admissions dean who was great. And lets just say that Williamsburg is a lot less trashy than Gainesville.

Overall - UF just has put a bad taste in my mouth. Are they the best in the state? Yes - but they can at least put some effort in. I have a 167/3.75 and 3 years of WE - I know I'm a strong candidate that would have assisted with raising their numbers, but UF simply doesnt care. I think that will translate into the education received too.

Withdrawing tomorrow - hope that one of you guys that want the spot will get it!

I guess I see what you are saying-- FSU and Illinois both offered my much more $$ and sent out tons of emails/facebook contact/phone calls, whatever and all I got from UF was a few emails (although one was from a student asking if I had questions) and I didn't get a penny.

*Regarding the question of why I chose UF*:
What sold me on UF was just how I felt while I was there. I was really comfortable (maybe this is partially because I'm close to mine and my husband's homes in Tampa and Jacksonville) and I felt like... everyone there was a lot like me, if that makes sense. Also, I LOVE their admissions staff. When I walked up, Mrs. Castro ran up and gave me a hug and was like, "Hey Barbie (real name), how are you! Etc, etc, etc". They've really gone out of their way with me through the entire admissions process and both Mrs. Castro and Mr. Henry (I believe his name is) are both amazing people.

Anyways, the students there reminded me a lot of myself. I thought the professors were also great. I can simply see myself there for 3 years, and I didn't get that feeling at any of the other schools I've visited (including over the past year: FSU, Stetson, Illinois, UGA). So I guess I don't much care that I didn't get a scholarship (still holding out for some need based) and that they didn't go out of their way to contact me a bunch. I'm just doing what feels right for me.

Neo

Postby Neo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Barbie wrote:
novab wrote:UF has done nothing to try and get me to come to their school. If you were to ask me 3 months ago I would have told you I was 99% sure I would be going to UF. I was accepted the beginning of Feb, received a scholarship offer (6k per year - I am already instate) a week later. I havent received any calls or e-mails from current students or alumni. Some of the other schools I have gotten into are "better" (rankings wise) than UF and have given me substantially more money.

I requested an increase from UF and they said that they will look into and let me know by the end of the month. W&M (which already gave me a better deal) got back to me after one week and increased my scholarship by 50%. I will be attending there. They have had more than one person contact me to ask questions. I was able to talk to the career services dean when I visited a litte over a week ago, met with the admissions dean who was great. And lets just say that Williamsburg is a lot less trashy than Gainesville.

Overall - UF just has put a bad taste in my mouth. Are they the best in the state? Yes - but they can at least put some effort in. I have a 167/3.75 and 3 years of WE - I know I'm a strong candidate that would have assisted with raising their numbers, but UF simply doesnt care. I think that will translate into the education received too.

Withdrawing tomorrow - hope that one of you guys that want the spot will get it!

I guess I see what you are saying-- FSU and Illinois both offered my much more $$ and sent out tons of emails/facebook contact/phone calls, whatever and all I got from UF was a few emails (although one was from a student asking if I had questions) and I didn't get a penny.

What sold me on UF was just how I felt while I was there. I was really comfortable (maybe this is partially because I'm close to mine and my husband's homes in Tampa and Jacksonville) and I felt like... everyone there was a lot like me, if that makes sense. Also, I LOVE their admissions staff. When I walked up, Mrs. Castro ran up and gave me a hug and was like, "Hey Barbie (real name), how are you! Etc, etc, etc". They've really gone out of their way with me through the entire admissions process and both Mrs. Castro and Mr. Henry (I believe his name is) are both amazing people.

Anyways, the students there reminded me a lot of myself. I thought the professors were also great. I can simply see myself there for 3 years, and I didn't get that feeling at any of the other schools I've visited (including over the past year: FSU, Stetson, Illinois, UGA). So I guess I don't much care that I didn't get a scholarship (still holding out for some need based) and that they didn't go out of their way to contact me a bunch. I'm just doing what feels right for me.

Yea that is Mr. Henry, but he doesn't work there anymore. I don't know why though.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Letter issued today. If the trend is monday-reject, friday-accept then I'm screwed haha :/

valentina5

Postby valentina5 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:38 pm

Still "No Decision Reached"...since 12/3

jdwishes

Postby jdwishes » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:44 pm

"Letter Issued" notice in my status checker too. My numbers could be stronger for UF, so history may be repeating itself with a Monday rejection batch.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:45 pm

valentina5 wrote:Still "No Decision Reached"...since 12/3

Same but since 11/12. No bueno. I'm feel pretty confidently that we'll be hearing something soon. Does anyone know if the they put anything about re-reviewing [pretty sure that isn't a word. haha. but you get the idea] on the status checker before a letter is issued or as they're reviewing it again after the intitial?

Triple_Entendre

Postby Triple_Entendre » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Me too, with the same date- 12/3, hopefully we'll hear some good news.

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 pm

So far, based on all the people that have PM'd me with their numbers and had letters issued today, it's a denial. Unless somebody has for sure in type numbers that got a letter today (then it could be a mixture).

Rivers711

Postby Rivers711 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:33 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Rivers711 wrote:

That is solid research work lol

Thanks. I'm not sure whether or not it did more harm than it did good... I didn't mean to dampen anyone's spirit. :/

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Neo wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Yea that is Mr. Henry, but he doesn't work there anymore. I don't know why though.

Jake Henry is a great guy. He got a job in LSU admissions office. Must have been odd to switch in the middle of the cycle.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:44 pm

See Barbie, I always thought that you would know where you wanted to go once you actually saw the schools, and I got posts in your topic to prove it lol

Sorry to everyone that (presumably) didn't make the cut, best of luck with the rest of your cycle.

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Triple_Entendre wrote:

Me too, with the same date- 12/3, hopefully we'll hear some good news.

+1...Good news would be great

mtothelissa

Postby mtothelissa » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Still at no decision. Not sure if I'll be in this cycle though because I applied late. :?

Good luck everyone!

Bless

Postby Bless » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Letter mailed today...

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:Also, if anyone took pics, post them!

I'll probably post some pictures tomorrow.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm sort of glad I didn't get the "Letter Mailed" today if it has traditionally been a rejection! But I really, really hope it's good news for y'all!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”