U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bless

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Bless » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Mistergoft, thanks for all of that information.

Even without those strikingly blunt statistics, the bottom line is this: UF is the top dog. That by no means counts out FSU. FSU is a school with an excellent reputation in FL. Additionally, it is extremely cheap for in-state (as is UF). I think UF vs FSU is definitely a considerable decision to make, especially when facing scholarships at one but not the other.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:12 pm

mistergoft wrote:I am not sure what this "the same job" argument means. First of all, no. White and Case, which is probably the best firm in Florida in terms of complex transactional work, doesn't even have an FSU grad working for them. I know for a fact my class has people working there this summer (yes, people, plural). There are plenty of good Florida firms (Smith Hulsey Busey for example) who recruit solely at UF. I don't know anything about FSU's OCI, but I would be willing to bet we have better employers come on campus who are looking to hire UF grads.

I must preface my comments with the fact that I am, unlike yourself, an impartial observer.

I'm not here to flaunt A over B. I was merely speaking to scholarships and school selection. It was, and is, my opinion that taking on less debt is worth dropping several spots in the ranking; especially ITE. I understand that UF has a larger alumni base, it had a class size of 400 for quite some time.

But, for you to hold alumni positions as a gold standard is deceptive. First, firms often seek diversity amongst its lawyers. Second, I feel a better measure for success is class rank, personality, and law school activities (such as law review/moot court). Thus, I put more weight on merit than I do name brand.

In reference to the--
Deuce wrote:relevant statistics and facts regarding employment prospects

"Holland & Knight has 29 attorneys from FSU whereas UF has 111, and UF sends at least 1-2 people to that firm every year."

I mean, if you are willing to forgo a scholarship for the prospect of one or two positions at a law firm, or a 0.33%-0.66% chance, then I guess the data is "relevant." But, I don't have to tell you just how irrelevant this statistic is since you --
mistergoft wrote:also don't think anyone should go to law school thinking they're going to be at the top of their class; in fact, if you search my posts, you'd see that I've advised many people on this site against going to law school for that reason.

To legitamize their[alumni presense] relevance:

mistergoft wrote: "You might think these numbers don't matter, but when 3 of 7 people on the hiring committee are UF grads and only 1 is an FSU grad, guess who gets the offer?"

What sort of spoon-fed bullshit is this? You think that a 42% UF presense on the hiring committee will get you an offer on that fact alone? (your post fails to indicate otherwise)

Lastly, as far as your lateral hiring advantage, lateral hiring is more a product of proven capability and a book of business than the law school you graduated from.

Again my comments are geared for non-specific schools, that hold regional influence, in terms of scholarship v. sticker ITE.
Last edited by InvictusFortis on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leidice

Postby leidice » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm

InvictusFortis, that was an excellent post.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 pm

On that note, see you all at UF's admitted students day :D

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Nice work, Invictus.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Hey everybody haven't been on this thread in like 3 months but I'm in!!! I didn't read through the thread, but if there is a secret TLS handshake we are doing at the ASD to identify each other I would appreciate it if somebody filled me in!!! Also, I am driving from the Winter Park/ Orlando Area if somebody wants to car pool as I am poor and would love to split gas money.

gatorlaw2011

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 pm

is there an admitted students website?

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 pm

gatorlizzy28 wrote:
ns77770 wrote:Hey everybody haven't been on this thread in like 3 months but I'm in!!! I didn't read through the thread, but if there is a secret TLS handshake we are doing at the ASD to identify each other I would appreciate it if somebody filled me in!!! Also, I am driving from the Winter Park/ Orlando Area if somebody wants to car pool as I am poor and would love to split gas money.

I can't car pool since I live in Gville, but the handshake idea made me laugh hysterically. As hilarious as it is, I think it's a great idea!! Anyone have any ideas?? :lol:

Maybe something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUPtjQn81Ig

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey guys sorry to do this but I tried looking through the thread and can't find anything; what sessions are ya'll attending? Are any worth more than others?

gatorlaw2011

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:34 am

Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:45 am

ns77770 wrote:Hey guys sorry to do this but I tried looking through the thread and can't find anything; what sessions are ya'll attending? Are any worth more than others?

I'll be at tours, externships, then financial aid. If anyone goes to the journals session, I'll be more than happy to swap the financial aid info with you for the journals info, just let me know.

novab

Postby novab » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:24 am

So i got my scholarship letter in the mail yesterday - $6k per year...

I'm not going to lie - I'm a bit peeved. W&M gave me enough money to make tuition only $13k plus $4k stipend and fellowship and UGA gave me enough to make tuition only $10,500 per year. UF is so stingy and i'm annoyed that now the "cheapest" school is now my most expensive choice thus far.

Really FL?

And it seems by the look of things on here they dont negotiate. Has anyone had success with negotiating?

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:57 am

ns77770 wrote:Hey everybody haven't been on this thread in like 3 months but I'm in!!! I didn't read through the thread, but if there is a secret TLS handshake we are doing at the ASD to identify each other I would appreciate it if somebody filled me in!!! Also, I am driving from the Winter Park/ Orlando Area if somebody wants to car pool as I am poor and would love to split gas money.

Where did you goto school, if you don't mind me asking. I grew up in Orlando/Winter Park. I'd split the trip with you, but I'm leaving a bit early on Friday for a wedding.

We could all meet at a local bar on thursday night. I'll see if I can get my friend, who is a 2L at UF, to join us.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 am

No one wants to go to the UF basketball game on Thursday? You can't experience UF the proper way without checking out the sports scene! :D

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:49 am

thewarflamingo wrote:No one wants to go to the UF basketball game on Thursday? You can't experience UF the proper way without checking out the sports scene! :D

My friend said that we are actually going to go play trivia at a sketchy bowling alley and then sing karaoke on Thurs. Just another Thurs in Gville I guess.. haha! But Friday I told her my goal in life is, post ASD, Bento and happy hour!

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 am

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:No one wants to go to the UF basketball game on Thursday? You can't experience UF the proper way without checking out the sports scene! :D

My friend said that we are actually going to go play trivia at a sketchy bowling alley and then sing karaoke on Thurs. Just another Thurs in Gville I guess.. haha! But Friday I told her my goal in life is, post ASD, Bento and happy hour!

I think I know that one! Start with an A?
Awesome bowling alley in the middle of nowhere ftw

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Barbie wrote:

Aww boo, well if anyone is interested in going to the game, let me know, otherwise I'll probably just try to convince my cousins or aunt to come with me. I'm definitely up for some post-asd boozing on friday.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Barbie wrote:

That bowling alley's pretty nice, and also has laser tag in it, and I am not ashamed to admit my friends and I have drunkenly dominated some little kids in laser tag effectively crushing their dreams...

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:12 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Aww boo, well if anyone is interested in going to the game, let me know, otherwise I'll probably just try to convince my cousins or aunt to come with me. I'm definitely up for some post-asd boozing on friday.

I'll be at the game, except I'll be working... I'm working for next week's game a couple hours beforehand and through half-time and am definitely down for going out after

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Deuce wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:

I'll be at the game, except I'll be working... I'm working for next week's game a couple hours beforehand and through half-time and am definitely down for going out after

Oh cool, what kind of work do you do there? How long do the games last? Should it be done around 9 if it starts at 7? I'm up for going out after the game if y'all decide on something to do.

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Does anyone know for sure what tuition at Gainsville will be next year?
I was recently accepted in this last batch and was wondering. I couldn't find it on the website but I definitely could be missing it. Also I am trying to make arrangements to attend admitted students day next week! Definitely excited about meeting ya'all

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Classygal87 wrote:Does anyone know for sure what tuition at Gainsville will be next year?
I was recently accepted in this last batch and was wondering. I couldn't find it on the website but I definitely could be missing it. Also I am trying to make arrangements to attend admitted students day next week! Definitely excited about meeting ya'all

$16k

Classygal87

Postby Classygal87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:54 pm

rman1201 wrote:
Classygal87 wrote:Does anyone know for sure what tuition at Gainsville will be next year?

$16k

16K exactly? Thanks for the quick response!

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Classygal87 wrote:
rman1201 wrote:

$16k

16K exactly? Thanks for the quick response!

The exact figures are on the prospectus on the site, everything on the actual webpage (aside from prospectus) are pretty outdated.
The 16k is in-state though, I don't remember OOS

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”