U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Stonewall » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:35 am

UF needs to put a 2 in front of all these 6k schollys to even have a prayer of getting me. I still haven't done the need based form yet, is it a pain? I prob won't qualify for aid anyway but I think it's worth a shot

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:48 am

Stonewall wrote:UF needs to put a 2 in front of all these 6k schollys to even have a prayer of getting me. I still haven't done the need based form yet, is it a pain? I prob won't qualify for aid anyway but I think it's worth a shot


No effence, but you guys who all expected $$$ from UF clearly didn't do your research. UF has never been notorious (as far as I know) for giving out a bunch of big dollar scholarships. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure other schools will provide it. Congrats on all your great #s, but go ahead and withdraw since its not nearly good enough for you-- so those of us who want to attend UF can have a shot at a few bones :)

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:09 am

Barbie wrote:
Stonewall wrote:UF needs to put a 2 in front of all these 6k schollys to even have a prayer of getting me. I still haven't done the need based form yet, is it a pain? I prob won't qualify for aid anyway but I think it's worth a shot


No effence, but you guys who all expected $$$ from UF clearly didn't do your research. UF has never been notorious (as far as I know) for giving out a bunch of big dollar scholarships. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure other schools will provide it. Congrats on all your great #s, but go ahead and withdraw since its not nearly good enough for you-- so those of us who want to attend UF can have a shot at a few bones :)


+1. i dont know how its possible to complain about 9-10k tuition at UF

User avatar
Aro5389
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:35 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Aro5389 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:41 am

because some people are God's greatest gift to this world obvs

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 am

Yeah as an out of state student, I would love some of that chump change they've been offering y'all. I'll take it off your hands.

User avatar
mteevin
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby mteevin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:25 am

Sorry to get off the topic of scholly $$$ but how long did you guys wait after "under initial review by committee" to get a decision?

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Stonewall » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:58 am

rman1201 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Stonewall wrote:UF needs to put a 2 in front of all these 6k schollys to even have a prayer of getting me. I still haven't done the need based form yet, is it a pain? I prob won't qualify for aid anyway but I think it's worth a shot


No effence, but you guys who all expected $$$ from UF clearly didn't do your research. UF has never been notorious (as far as I know) for giving out a bunch of big dollar scholarships. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure other schools will provide it. Congrats on all your great #s, but go ahead and withdraw since its not nearly good enough for you-- so those of us who want to attend UF can have a shot at a few bones :)


+1. i dont know how its possible to complain about 9-10k tuition at UF


I'm oos so 6k wouldn't do anything, not to mention the *possible* 15% tuition raise for each of the next three years will cancel out a good portion of that scholly; so tuition would be closer to 30k champ.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 am

Stonewall wrote:
I'm oos so 6k wouldn't do anything, not to mention the *possible* 15% tuition raise for each of the next three years will cancel out a good portion of that scholly; so tuition would be closer to 30k champ.


I assumed it was an all in-state scholarship batch (same amounts, other poster was in-state, would have been the logical conclusion). But yeah I agree then, 6k oos isn't too great unless you really want to end up in FL.

Plus your Marlin tar further indicated in-state.

User avatar
amasingama
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby amasingama » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:11 am

rman1201 wrote:
amasingama wrote:Iwanta I got the same one, but I interpreted it as 6k a semester. Either way, it's a joke of a scholarship so I am withdrawing.


Just got the 6k scholarship letter too. Sorry guys but I might sit on it a while just in case. And 6k in state is no joke, thats 10k tuition and a very low COL at the best school in the worst state.


Being OOS, 6k doesn't even begin to cover the cost of tution.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Stonewall wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Stonewall wrote:UF needs to put a 2 in front of all these 6k schollys to even have a prayer of getting me. I still haven't done the need based form yet, is it a pain? I prob won't qualify for aid anyway but I think it's worth a shot


No effence, but you guys who all expected $$$ from UF clearly didn't do your research. UF has never been notorious (as far as I know) for giving out a bunch of big dollar scholarships. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure other schools will provide it. Congrats on all your great #s, but go ahead and withdraw since its not nearly good enough for you-- so those of us who want to attend UF can have a shot at a few bones :)


+1. i dont know how its possible to complain about 9-10k tuition at UF


I'm oos so 6k wouldn't do anything, not to mention the *possible* 15% tuition raise for each of the next three years will cancel out a good portion of that scholly; so tuition would be closer to 30k champ.


For the first year. The next two you would get the 9-10k tuition.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:41 pm

Barbie wrote:For the first year. The next two you would get the 9-10k tuition.


How hard is to be gain Florida residency?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
Barbie wrote:For the first year. The next two you would get the 9-10k tuition.


How hard is to be gain Florida residency?


How hard is it to gain FL residency? EAAAAAAAAASY. I think easier than almost any other state.

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Stonewall » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:
Barbie wrote:For the first year. The next two you would get the 9-10k tuition.


How hard is to be gain Florida residency?


How hard is it to gain FL residency? EAAAAAAAAASY. I think easier than almost any other state.


easier than UGA?

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:
Barbie wrote:For the first year. The next two you would get the 9-10k tuition.


How hard is to be gain Florida residency?


How hard is it to gain FL residency? EAAAAAAAAASY. I think easier than almost any other state.


easier than UGA?


same

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
Barbie wrote:For the first year. The next two you would get the 9-10k tuition.


How hard is to be gain Florida residency?

The law was actually amended last year to make it more difficult to establish residency, but I don't think the schools adhere to the law as stringently as the language seems to require. The best thing would be to call admissions and ask them what is typically required. Here is what the law actually says:

Fla. Stat. Ann. § 1009.21 wrote:(6)(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who is classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes may become eligible for reclassification as a resident for tuition purposes if that person or, if that person is a dependent child, his or her parent presents clear and convincing documentation that supports permanent legal residency in this state for at least 12 consecutive months rather than temporary residency for the purpose of pursuing an education


Fla. Stat. Ann. § 1009.21 wrote:(c) . . . The residency determination must be documented by the submission of written or electronic verification that includes two or more of the documents identified in this paragraph. No single piece of evidence shall be conclusive.

1. The documents must include at least one of the following:

a. A Florida voter's registration card.

b. A Florida driver's license.

c. A State of Florida identification card.

d. A Florida vehicle registration.

e. Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the individual or by the individual's parent if the individual is a dependent child.

f. Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida.

g. Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months.

h. Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12-month period.

2. The documents may include one or more of the following:

a. A declaration of domicile in Florida.

b. A Florida professional or occupational license.

c. Florida incorporation.

d. A document evidencing family ties in Florida.

e. Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization.

f. Any other documentation that supports the student's request for resident status, including, but not limited to, utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida.

User avatar
FortuneFavorsTheBold
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby FortuneFavorsTheBold » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:32 pm

can UF just accept me already?!?!?!?...this hold thing sucks, and FSU keeps sending emails about their scholars day :-(

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Stonewall wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Stonewall wrote:UF needs to put a 2 in front of all these 6k schollys to even have a prayer of getting me. I still haven't done the need based form yet, is it a pain? I prob won't qualify for aid anyway but I think it's worth a shot


No effence, but you guys who all expected $$$ from UF clearly didn't do your research. UF has never been notorious (as far as I know) for giving out a bunch of big dollar scholarships. If that's what you're looking for, I'm sure other schools will provide it. Congrats on all your great #s, but go ahead and withdraw since its not nearly good enough for you-- so those of us who want to attend UF can have a shot at a few bones :)


+1. i dont know how its possible to complain about 9-10k tuition at UF


I'm oos so 6k wouldn't do anything, not to mention the *possible* 15% tuition raise for each of the next three years will cancel out a good portion of that scholly; so tuition would be closer to 30k champ.



+1


Even if you are in-state, 15% tuition hikes dwindle a 50% scholarship.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:37 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
rman1201 wrote:+1. i dont know how its possible to complain about 9-10k tuition at UF


I'm oos so 6k wouldn't do anything, not to mention the *possible* 15% tuition raise for each of the next three years will cancel out a good portion of that scholly; so tuition would be closer to 30k champ.



+1


Even if you are in-state, 15% tuition hikes dwindle a 50% scholarship.


I don't think they will actually utilize the entire 15% for the law school, but it is possible. Then again, its POSSIBLE for every law school's tuition to rise next year.

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:03 pm

mistergoft wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Your decision is really going to hinge on your career goals... Also, they're not offering full scholarships to people with t14 numbers? Surprising...


If I commit I'm hoping they will give me at least 75%. I wanted UF to help my goal of working for Lockheed Martin until I found their Orlando location doesn't hold much opportunity for lawyers.

No school is going to get you a job working as in-house counsel for a corporation fresh out of law school. It simply does not happen (and if it does, the circumstances are very limited). The traditional path to working as in house counsel for a large corporation is to work at a big firm for 3-5 years then lateral into the position. If you want to take this career path, UF might not be the best school for you because graduating from a higher ranked school will give you a competitive edge in getting hired on with a large law firm (of course, these days there are no guarantees, but your chances of landing one will be increased substantially). Don't take it from me, though: go to http://www.martindale.com and use the advanced search function to find lawyers whose "current organization" is Lockheed Martian. There are a lot. Email a couple of them and see if they can offer you any advice.



I understand the path to GC is usually as a lateral hire from big law, but I was planning on a completing a dual degree in law/engineering and was hoping this would give me a leg up. My fascination resides somewhere at the intersection of technological innovation (aerospace, weapons systems, flight dynamics, etc.) and the legal realm. What are your thoughts? Do you recommend attending t14 without the engineering degree (financial limitations)?

Thank you for your advice and consideration.

User avatar
sabenser
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby sabenser » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:
Barbie wrote:For the first year. The next two you would get the 9-10k tuition.


How hard is to be gain Florida residency?


How hard is it to gain FL residency? EAAAAAAAAASY. I think easier than almost any other state.


Thanks for clarifying this. I thought it was tough but this changes everything and puts Florida back near the top of my radar.

I know a recruiter from UF told me it was easy but wasn't sure if he was just blowing smoke.

InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Barbie wrote:I don't think they will actually utilize the entire 15% for the law school, but it is possible. Then again, its POSSIBLE for every law school's tuition to rise next year.


Did not UF raise their tuition the full amount from 2010 to 2011?

User avatar
hurricane10
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby hurricane10 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Tuition this year was 16 something and last year was in the 15's.. so no they didn't raise it 15%

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:09 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Your decision is really going to hinge on your career goals... Also, they're not offering full scholarships to people with t14 numbers? Surprising...


If I commit I'm hoping they will give me at least 75%. I wanted UF to help my goal of working for Lockheed Martin until I found their Orlando location doesn't hold much opportunity for lawyers.

No school is going to get you a job working as in-house counsel for a corporation fresh out of law school. It simply does not happen (and if it does, the circumstances are very limited). The traditional path to working as in house counsel for a large corporation is to work at a big firm for 3-5 years then lateral into the position. If you want to take this career path, UF might not be the best school for you because graduating from a higher ranked school will give you a competitive edge in getting hired on with a large law firm (of course, these days there are no guarantees, but your chances of landing one will be increased substantially). Don't take it from me, though: go to http://www.martindale.com and use the advanced search function to find lawyers whose "current organization" is Lockheed Martian. There are a lot. Email a couple of them and see if they can offer you any advice.



I understand the path to GC is usually as a lateral hire from big law, but I was planning on a completing a dual degree in law/engineering and was hoping this would give me a leg up. My fascination resides somewhere at the intersection of technological innovation (aerospace, weapons systems, flight dynamics, etc.) and the legal realm. What are your thoughts? Do you recommend attending t14 without the engineering degree (financial limitations)?

Thank you for your advice and consideration.


I wouldn't pass up t14 for a dual degree at UF if that's what you're asking. The main thing that matters is getting your foot in the door with a big firm, and you'll have a much better shot at this from a more national school than UF, regardless of any joint/dual degrees.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:12 pm

hurricane10 wrote:Tuition this year was 16 something and last year was in the 15's.. so no they didn't raise it 15%


I thought '10-11 was 14k and this coming year (11-12) is going to be 16k. From what's on their site/viewbook at least...

And 14k -> 16k is a 15% hike.

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby Stonewall » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Just opened my admission packet, glanced at the page and noticed 18k, but alas it was their living alumni total




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brinicolec, Houzy, reydingo, Smc1994, tinafeyclone and 16 guests