U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gatorlaw2011

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:07 pm

novab wrote:
gatorlizzy28 wrote:I couldn't agree with you more. I went to UF for undergrad but I'm really not set on staying in FL. I always thought I would end up at UF Law as long as I got in, but now it looks like I might be trying something new! Where else are you considering? Oh, and I got that identical scholarship to W&M.

UGA USC (those in addition to W&M and UF)
and then NW & UVA (if i am lucky enough to get into one of those schools)

the cost is a big factor for me - I dont have a huge amount of undergrad loans (under 30k) so I really want this to be as cost effective for me. Also - I am originally from up north - grew up in NJ and went to school in PA so I have only been in FL for 2.5 years (3 by the time i start law school)

Hopefully I end up with the same scholarship you received from UF - but i'm kinda liking the idea of picking up and moving back up north (well kind of up north haha). Williamsburg seems so nice and you are a quick train ride to DC (looks like tickets via amtrack are like $25-30 each way) or a 3 hour drive. and you have virginia beach (i need to be by the beach) and norfolk has decent cheaper flights to both FL and NJ/Philly...

I'll keep you posted - maybe we will both end up at UF or W&M :)

Are you going to the admitted students day for W&M? I will be in Europe so I will have to plan a separate trip...blah

Definitely keep me posted! I am attending ASW for W&M, I'll let you know what I think.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:With regard to the 15%, I know that the state is allowing the universities to increase their tuition by up to 15% and I know that UF DID increase by that much for undergrad (I'm feeling the pinch), but perhaps they are moving at a slower rate for the graduate schools?

Maybe because when it comes to UG, there really is no comparison between UF and the other public schools in the state. When it comes to the law school, FSU is nipping at their heels. Just speculating..

That could very well be the reason. I'm thinking it could also be because the law school already is the most expensive program in terms of tuition (excluding the med school; I have no idea what they charge). I was wondering if your fiance knows if it is standard practice for the schools to charge more for one program over another? I was comparing UF's Master's program tuitions with the law school and the base per credit hour tuition was almost $50.00 more for law school than the graduate AND P.A. tuitions. There's also some "financial aid" cost included in law school tuition that is more per credit hour, but I have no idea why that would be any different.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:46 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:With regard to the 15%, I know that the state is allowing the universities to increase their tuition by up to 15% and I know that UF DID increase by that much for undergrad (I'm feeling the pinch), but perhaps they are moving at a slower rate for the graduate schools?

This is almost exactly what she said... she said the law school wasn't as affected by state budget cuts and is less dependent on public funds than the undergraduate school.

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:43 pm

Decided I would apply today even though my numbers are weak (162 3.2). Its kind of a reach for me but if I get in I don't think id be able to turn it down.

Bless

Postby Bless » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:59 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:Decided I would apply today even though my numbers are weak (162 3.2). Its kind of a reach for me but if I get in I don't think id be able to turn it down.

I certainly wouldn't call it a reach according to your numbers, but you are applying late...

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Has anyone trolled last years thread/ LSN to see if anyone actually got need-based scholarships from filling out that form??

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:07 pm

no, but if you want to do some trolling, I will certainly put in some effort as well!

EDIT: LSN makes me mad. I see people with lower numbers than mine getting SUBSTANTIAL scholarships. Where's the love, UF?

Aro5389

Postby Aro5389 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Tag. Just found out I'm being held. At least it is better than rejection.

3.6x/159

Ddoes it explicitly say "held"? I'm similar stats 160/3.75 and have been at no decision for a few months.

No, it says "File reviewed, no decision reached." I called the admissions office and they told me it means I'm being held for further review, and that I've not been accepted, rejected, nor waitlisted. The lady stated they are holding my application and comparing it to all new applications that come in, and I should accept a status change (accept, reject, waitlist) between now and the end of April. Just for luck, I'm submitting a Why Florida and Diversity statement, and a LOCI. I figure if I bombard them with paperwork stating I want to go there, maybe they'll get the picture and just admit me.

lol hope it works. I have similar numbers (3.8x/159) so I expect to be held too. I did send the max letter of rec and diversity statement already though so I can't really follow through with your strat too :/

toulon99

Postby toulon99 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Need based scholarships do happen; a 3L friend was given one.
UF Med school is 42k

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Hello all!

I was wondering, have any of you recieved an e-mail from one of the law professors that offered to answer any questions and/or inquires?

Also, I was offered 8k a year...do you know if it's possible to obtain more by petioning admissions?

Lastly, are any of you attending the ASW at the end of the month?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:18 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:Hello all!

I was wondering, have any of you recieved an e-mail from one of the law professors that offered to answer any questions and/or inquires?

Also, I was offered 8k a year...do you know if it's possible to obtain more by petioning admissions?

Lastly, are any of you attending the ASW at the end of the month?

UF is pretty broke and 8k is one of their MOST generous offers so I highly doubt you'll get a penny more :( and I think a lot of us are going to ASW, I know I am! Oh and didn't recieve the email (although I apparently don't receive a lot of UF's emails, including the one that said to apply to other schools lol)

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Barbie wrote:UF is pretty broke and 8k is one of their MOST generous offers so I highly doubt you'll get a penny more :( and I think a lot of us are going to ASW, I know I am! Oh and didn't recieve the email (although I apparently don't receive a lot of UF's emails, including the one that said to apply to other schools lol)

Thank you for your information and look forward to meeting a lot of you during ASW.

As for the scholarship, I won't be holding my breath. I was accepted to several schools in the magical "t14" (which, conceptually, I think is a big joke) and want a reason to say no. I was born and raised in Florida and would really like to pursue a dual degree at UF.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:30 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
Barbie wrote:UF is pretty broke and 8k is one of their MOST generous offers so I highly doubt you'll get a penny more :( and I think a lot of us are going to ASW, I know I am! Oh and didn't recieve the email (although I apparently don't receive a lot of UF's emails, including the one that said to apply to other schools lol)

Thank you for your information and look forward to meeting a lot of you during ASW.

As for the scholarship, I won't be holding my breath. I was accepted to several schools in the magical "t14" (which, conceptually, I think is a big joke) and want a reason to say no. I was born and raised in Florida and would really like to pursue a dual degree at UF.

Well, considering you get in state + 8k a year, I'm assuming UF is still much cheaper than your t14 options. If you want to minimize the debt and work in Florida, UF is a pretty sweet option.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:12 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:

Your decision is really going to hinge on your career goals... Also, they're not offering full scholarships to people with t14 numbers? Surprising...

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:20 pm

mistergoft wrote:Your decision is really going to hinge on your career goals... Also, they're not offering full scholarships to people with t14 numbers? Surprising...

If I commit I'm hoping they will give me at least 75%. I wanted UF to help my goal of working for Lockheed Martin until I found their Orlando location doesn't hold much opportunity for lawyers.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Got a 6k/year scholly from UF today. Was accepted back in November. Going to withdraw soon.

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:25 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Got a 6k/year scholly from UF today. Was accepted back in November. Going to withdraw soon.

Are you OOS?

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

sabenser wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Got a 6k/year scholly from UF today. Was accepted back in November. Going to withdraw soon.

Are you OOS?

No

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Congrats on the scholarship, though I got my hopes up that you were from the 1/25 batch of acceptances.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Your decision is really going to hinge on your career goals... Also, they're not offering full scholarships to people with t14 numbers? Surprising...

If I commit I'm hoping they will give me at least 75%. I wanted UF to help my goal of working for Lockheed Martin until I found their Orlando location doesn't hold much opportunity for lawyers.

No school is going to get you a job working as in-house counsel for a corporation fresh out of law school. It simply does not happen (and if it does, the circumstances are very limited). The traditional path to working as in house counsel for a large corporation is to work at a big firm for 3-5 years then lateral into the position. If you want to take this career path, UF might not be the best school for you because graduating from a higher ranked school will give you a competitive edge in getting hired on with a large law firm (of course, these days there are no guarantees, but your chances of landing one will be increased substantially). Don't take it from me, though: go to http://www.martindale.com and use the advanced search function to find lawyers whose "current organization" is Lockheed Martian. There are a lot. Email a couple of them and see if they can offer you any advice.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:46 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
sabenser wrote:

Are you OOS?

No

Congrats and I <3 you for being prompt in your withdrawal :) Helps us who are hoping for a dime or two ;)

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:47 pm

stupid UF law magazine arrived in the mail today and got my hopes up thinking it was a scholarship letter. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

amasingama

Postby amasingama » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:
sabenser wrote:

Are you OOS?

No

Congrats and I <3 you for being prompt in your withdrawal :) Helps us who are hoping for a dime or two ;)

Iwanta I got the same one, but I interpreted it as 6k a semester. Either way, it's a joke of a scholarship so I am withdrawing.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:36 pm

amasingama wrote:Iwanta I got the same one, but I interpreted it as 6k a semester. Either way, it's a joke of a scholarship so I am withdrawing.

Just got the 6k scholarship letter too. Sorry guys but I might sit on it a while just in case. And 6k in state is no joke, thats 10k tuition and a very low COL at the best school in the worst state.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 am

for those of you that got the 6k scholly, can you PM me your numbers?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”