U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
unc0mm0n1

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Alright, I decided to cancel my trip to FL for the February ASD. Y'all don't have too much fun without me. :(

!!! WHY!

Well I made a thread in the "choosing a law school" forum and they all pretty much made me realize that I would be incredibly dumb to pay out of state tuition at UF when I have $$ at Illinois. I'm actually just going to hold out for my #1 choices (SMU and UT) to see if they come through by March before I visit out of state schools, but if I don't get in, then I'll be visiting Illinois at the April 1st ASD. If I hate Illinois, then I'll head over to UF for the April 15th ASD.

If you go to UIUC and need any info about it let me know. Not the law school, but the town, restaurants, and all those type of things it's been a while but If you got some questions just let me know.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Alright, I decided to cancel my trip to FL for the February ASD. Y'all don't have too much fun without me. :(

!!! WHY!

Well I made a thread in the "choosing a law school" forum and they all pretty much made me realize that I would be incredibly dumb to pay out of state tuition at UF when I have $$ at Illinois. I'm actually just going to hold out for my #1 choices (SMU and UT) to see if they come through by March before I visit out of state schools, but if I don't get in, then I'll be visiting Illinois at the April 1st ASD. If I hate Illinois, then I'll head over to UF for the April 15th ASD.

:( :( :( Everyone voted for me to go to Illinois too. But all the comments said otherwise. Link? :D

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:

!!! WHY!

:( :( :( Everyone voted for me to go to Illinois too. But all the comments said otherwise. Link? :D

Here's my thread...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146363

The voting is predominately for UIUC, but the comments are mixed. *shrug*

Thanks unc0mm0n1, I'll let you know if I have any questions!

toulon99

Postby toulon99 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Barbie wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:
Unfortunately, having a "bar scene" is something I put in the Cons list for schools. And having been to gville to party a few times, the bars are pretty gross and SWARMING with undergraduates and underagers (albeit-cheap!). If I go to gainesville, I'll have to find me a little pub that no one goes to if I'm going to go out drinking :(

There is a great English pub in Haile Village without Undergrads. Rather, you get all the doctors and professors.

cr1stina

Postby cr1stina » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:17 pm

toulon99 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Unfortunately, having a "bar scene" is something I put in the Cons list for schools. And having been to gville to party a few times, the bars are pretty gross and SWARMING with undergraduates and underagers (albeit-cheap!). If I go to gainesville, I'll have to find me a little pub that no one goes to if I'm going to go out drinking :(

There is a great English pub in Haile Village without Undergrads. Rather, you get all the doctors and professors.

Whats it called? I want to check it out 8)

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Please just let me in UF. I really don't want to drive to Tally to check out that bunk ass "school." Even if they are going to give me way more $ than you. Thanks!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Top14Hope wrote:Please just let me in UF. I really don't want to drive to Tally to check out that bunk ass "school." Even if they are going to give me way more $ than you. Thanks!

daaaaaang.

gatorlaw2011

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 am

Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorlaw2011

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:45 am

Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toulon99

Postby toulon99 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:42 am

cr1stina wrote:
toulon99 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Whats it called? I want to check it out 8)

I forget the name, but it is the only one in Haile Village. And, yes, it is about 15 minutes from campus, but worth it. Like the above poster said, there are some decent places closer to campus that don't get frequented by the UGs. Was at Stubbies and Steins last weekend and it was basically full of just Med and Law students...

llaw2011

Postby llaw2011 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 am

What are the scholarship offers you have rcvd for UF? What are you LSAT/GPA scores. I am trying to decide if I should retake the LSAT and push off Law School for a year to have the opportunity of a scholarship. Thank you for your help!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 pm

I know this has been asked, but I'm on my phone so its hard to dig through the thread to find the answer, but how long did it take to get scholarship letters? Like 2 weeks?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:12 pm

Top14Hope wrote:Please just let me in UF. I really don't want to drive to Tally to check out that bunk ass "school." Even if they are going to give me way more $ than you. Thanks!

Is this how everyone who attends UF is? Dear God.

thewarflamingo/Barbie, I think the comments are a better indicator than the poll results because I believe its fair to assume most either just looked at the rankings or skimmed really quickly through your points for each school and didn't put much thought into the reasoning. The comments actually address your concerns and seemed a lot more objective and fair.

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:

Is this how everyone who attends UF is? Dear God.

thewarflamingo/Barbie, I think the comments are a better indicator than the poll results because I believe its fair to assume most either just looked at the rankings or skimmed really quickly through your points for each school and didn't put much thought into the reasoning. The comments actually address your concerns and seemed a lot more objective and fair.

No it's not. Everyone who attends UF loves FSU. That's how it works. And for the record I gave Barbie my honest opinion about where she should go through the use of my vote, and I didn't just pick based off of the rankings. Also, you suck. Just saying.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
No it's not. Everyone who attends UF loves FSU. That's how it works. And for the record I gave Barbie my honest opinion about where she should go through the use of my vote, and I didn't just pick based off of the rankings. Also, you suck. Just saying.

I suck? Your name is T14Hope yet you haven't even heard back from UF. Given your obvious delusions of grandeur and all-alround desperation to get into the 47th most wonderful school in the nation, I actually couldn't care less about the opinions you've given. Keep refreshing that status checker!

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:

I suck? Your name is T14Hope yet you haven't even heard back from UF. Given your obvious delusions of grandeur and all-alround desperation to get into the 47th most wonderful school in the nation, I actually couldn't care less about the opinions you've given. Keep refreshing that status checker!

Sick burn. But I took the LSAT once and scored above 160(with not much practice), but graduating at the top of my class at a huge university is what gives me my top14hope. Which I still have. However, UF is the best school in the state I want to practice in, and also one of the cheapest schools in the country. Which makes it a great option no matter where it is ranked. I once thought my undergrad success would prove to be paramount In this process, I was ignorant, didn't retake, thought I would still be fine. I mean after all, out of the 40 thousand people at my school, no one graduated with a better GPA than me. Sorry if I hurt your feelings with my FSU hate. But seriously, stop sucking.
Last edited by Top14Hope on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:

Sick burn. But I took the LSAT once and scored above 160(with not much practice), but graduating at the top of my class at a huge university is what gives me my top14hope. Which I still have. However, UF is the best school in the state I want to practice in, and also one of the cheapest schools in the country. Which makes it a great option no matter where it is ranked. I once thought my undergrad success would prove to be paramount In this process, I was ignorant, didn't retake, thought I would still be fine. I mean after all, out of the 40 thousand people at my school, no one graduated with better GPA than me. Sorry if I hurt your feeling with my FSU hate. But seriously, stop sucking.

Congrats on finishing at the top of Kaplan University!

cr1stina

Postby cr1stina » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:55 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:

Sick burn. But I took the LSAT once and scored above 160(with not much practice), but graduating at the top of my class at a huge university is what gives me my top14hope. Which I still have. However, UF is the best school in the state I want to practice in, and also one of the cheapest schools in the country. Which makes it a great option no matter where it is ranked. I once thought my undergrad success would prove to be paramount In this process, I was ignorant, didn't retake, thought I would still be fine. I mean after all, out of the 40 thousand people at my school, no one graduated with better GPA than me. Sorry if I hurt your feeling with my FSU hate. But seriously, stop sucking.

I don't want to get between this but, a 3.7 gpa placed you over 40,000 people in your undergrad?

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:57 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:

Congrats on finishing at the top of Kaplan University!

It shouldn't take much time to figure out where the person who is constantly hating on FSU went to school. It's basically one of two choices. Obviously, you couldn't figure that out either. Nice try though. That Kaplan joke was really funny.

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:58 pm

cr1stina wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:

I don't want to get between this but, a 3.7 gpa placed you over 40,000 people in your undergrad?

No that isn't my GPA. I let people know enough info that it shouldn't change that much about what is happening, but not enough to get me made.
Last edited by Top14Hope on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:59 pm

okay you two, enough bickering.

Those asking about UF schollys- here's the hard and fast truth from what I've found-- UF isn't big at giving $$. Those that do get any mentionable amount are the students who could go to way better ranked schools (see: Deuce) and it still isn't THAT much. The rest of us are left to beg and plead for tiny scholarships of a few thousand a year at most. Apparently UF is budget cutting like crazy. So, if you want the $$, the answer IMO is FSU :)

Bless

Postby Bless » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Did Top14Hope just say everyone at UF loves FSU?

LMAO. OK. That was my good laugh for the day.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:

!!! WHY!

Basically it's a question of where you want to practice. Illinois isn't going to be good for getting a job in the southeast and UF isn't going to be good for getting you a job in Chicago/the midwest legal market. Salaries are greater in the bigger markets (read major cities), but so is the cost of living and typically the income taxes as well as other creative taxes.

Law school is essentially a regional trade school, and only a select few schools are actually going to have connections to get you jobs in other regions. Plenty of schools sport a solid "brand name" but that name will just buy you some goodwill, and that isn't worth too much considering the sheer volume of law students graduating each year.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:40 pm

plt06 wrote:
Basically it's a question of where you want to practice. Illinois isn't going to be good for getting a job in the southeast and UF isn't going to be good for getting you a job in Chicago/the midwest legal market. Salaries are greater in the bigger markets (read major cities), but so is the cost of living and typically the income taxes as well as other creative taxes.

Law school is essentially a regional trade school, and only a select few schools are actually going to have connections to get you jobs in other regions. Plenty of schools sport a solid "brand name" but that name will just buy you some goodwill, and that isn't worth too much considering the sheer volume of law students graduating each year.

I guess. Honestly, I'm REALLY sick of thinking about it. I wish I had only applied to one school and had only ONE option so I could just be done with all this nonsense :( I am WAY to indecisive for this shit.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Tag. Just found out I'm being held. At least it is better than rejection.

3.6x/159

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”