U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flgator10

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Postby flgator10 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:04 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
tebow4president wrote:
Hey gators, tell us what you know about the lifestyle and social aspects of UF. Try to put a LS perspective? For example, I have a boyfriend of 3+ years that I will be bringing. We want a small, nice house that isn't surrounded by UG students. Is that available? But I am young, being 22, and do like to go out and have a good time! Are there good young-adult bars, maybe not geared towards the UG crowd?

Definitely going to be available. The issue is, the LS is pretty much right next to the football stadium and thus surrounded by undergrad students. So if you want it in a more quiet area you will have a slightly longer commute as opposed to possibly walking.

The more adult oriented places/bars are downtown as opposed to midtown. Midtown is basically the strip of bars that are across the street from the football stadium. In a college town like Gainesville (newly ranked the number 1 college town in america SHIPPPP IT) the 2 aren't very far apart - like 2 miles down the same road lol.

If you are willing to look at a townhouse/apartment as opposed to a small house, your options would increase tenfold and you would be able to find something closer. There are a bunch of places downtown that are very nice, very quiet (except for friday/saturday nights) and basically perfect for graduate students.

We have a dog and plan to get 2 more big dogs so we really wanted a yard, but would be willing to look at town houses with yards! This is all pending my acceptance to UF, of course :)

Hey UF is my #1 choice and I'm looking for a lot of the same things you are in a place to live. Have you checked out the Haile Plantation? It's a bit of a drive from the campus, but it's really nice and quiet and you don't have to worry about noise (even on the weekends). Also, it's a little more expensive but IMHO well worth it.

Haile Plantation is definitely a very nice neighborhood. That is where most of the professionals in Gainesville live, including Urban Meijer. It's really not that bad of a commute...The only problem is I'm not sure what the parking situation is for law school. I know for undergrad it's impossible to park on campus, so you have to either walk or take the bus if you don't live within walking distance. I'm not sure how parking works for the law school though. If you can't park on campus, it would be very difficult to live in Haile Plantation, unless you bought a Park and Ride decal and parked in the commuter lot every day. But there are plenty of houses right around the law school, and even though a lot of undergrad students live there, there are also a bunch of law students. There are also many houses north of campus, and especially if you look around NE 16th Ave, there are a lot of little neighborhoods around there too. I worked at an elementary school in Gainesville for 2 years, and a lot of the kids lived in these communities, so they are more family oriented and a little quieter than the houses right around campus where all the undergrad live. Hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions about Gainesville or anything else about UF.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 pm

flgator10 wrote:
Haile Plantation is definitely a very nice neighborhood. That is where most of the professionals in Gainesville live, including Urban Meijer. It's really not that bad of a commute...The only problem is I'm not sure what the parking situation is for law school. I know for undergrad it's impossible to park on campus, so you have to either walk or take the bus if you don't live within walking distance. I'm not sure how parking works for the law school though. If you can't park on campus, it would be very difficult to live in Haile Plantation, unless you bought a Park and Ride decal and parked in the commuter lot every day. But there are plenty of houses right around the law school, and even though a lot of undergrad students live there, there are also a bunch of law students. There are also many houses north of campus, and especially if you look around NE 16th Ave, there are a lot of little neighborhoods around there too. I worked at an elementary school in Gainesville for 2 years, and a lot of the kids lived in these communities, so they are more family oriented and a little quieter than the houses right around campus where all the undergrad live. Hope this helps...let me know if you have any other questions about Gainesville or anything else about UF.

Hey thanks for the info!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:14 am

Has anyone written their addendum(s) for UF? It says it must be one page. I have a GPA addendum and a multiple LSAT scores addeundum. Should I join them on the same page? Or choose one?

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Barbie wrote:Has anyone written their addendum(s) for UF? It says it must be one page. I have a GPA addendum and a multiple LSAT scores addeundum. Should I join them on the same page? Or choose one?

id just go with the gpa addendum.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Barbie wrote:Has anyone written their addendum(s) for UF? It says it must be one page. I have a GPA addendum and a multiple LSAT scores addeundum. Should I join them on the same page? Or choose one?

Write two, but keep them brief. Less than half a page for each.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:23 pm

I submitted my UF app. today and have been talking to some friends at the LS about the whole process; even though it says that you'll need to mail in the $30, UF will actually e-mail you in a week or so after submitting with a link on how to submit the $30 online.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Ildeuce wrote:I submitted my UF app. today and have been talking to some friends at the LS about the whole process; even though it says that you'll need to mail in the $30, UF will actually e-mail you in a week or so after submitting with a link on how to submit the $30 online.

I have to mail them my driving record so I figured I'd just send one package. Thanks though, helpful info!!

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:I submitted my UF app. today and have been talking to some friends at the LS about the whole process; even though it says that you'll need to mail in the $30, UF will actually e-mail you in a week or so after submitting with a link on how to submit the $30 online.

I have to mail them my driving record so I figured I'd just send one package. Thanks though, helpful info!!

Oh trust me I know what you mean, I have to send them certain records from 2 different counties :shock:

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Oh trust me I know what you mean, I have to send them certain records from 2 different counties :shock:

Who cares, you are a LOCK :)

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Figured I would check in here too.

I was accepted to UF last year, but declined and am reapplying again this year (with my shiny new LSAT score).

Hopefully, since I've been through the process once, I can help out with any questions any of you all have.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:40 pm

The whole mailing the $30 to them thing is really annoying. I withdrew my app when I read that. Also, because I had no interest in staying in Florida. Hate it here.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Kchuck wrote:Figured I would check in here too.

I was accepted to UF last year, but declined and am reapplying again this year (with my shiny new LSAT score).

Hopefully, since I've been through the process once, I can help out with any questions any of you all have.

Awesome! What were your numbers last year, if you don't mind?
and I've heard it takes UF a while to get back to applicants. Earliest December or so, regardless of how early the app was submitted. Was this the case with you?

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:53 pm

Barbie wrote:Awesome! What were your numbers last year, if you don't mind?
and I've heard it takes UF a while to get back to applicants. Earliest December or so, regardless of how early the app was submitted. Was this the case with you?

My numbers last year were 163/3.6

And yes, they did seem to take a while. I had most all of my applications off by the beginning of November. I got an acceptance call from FSU and an email from Wake Forest in the first week of December. Didn't hear from UF until end of January/ early February. So, compared to peer schools, they do seem to be a bit slower. With that said, I sent my application off the same time as a friend of mine (159/3.9) and he did not get his acceptance until April.

I'm not entirely sure, but last year UF seemed to have a wave of acceptances go out after their first admitted students day. It was about a week after I went to the ASD (in March I think?) that my friend received his acceptance. We joked that they did this to weed out that second wave of admits from attending the March ASD, but it may have sort of been true? I'm not certain. But I would certainly say that UF takes longer to make a decision than many other schools, particularly for borderline candidates.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:55 pm

gdane5 wrote:The whole mailing the $30 to them thing is really annoying. I withdrew my app when I read that. Also, because I had no interest in staying in Florida. Hate it here.

What part of Florida?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Kchuck wrote:
Barbie wrote:Awesome! What were your numbers last year, if you don't mind?

My numbers last year were 163/3.6

And yes, they did seem to take a while. I had most all of my applications off by the beginning of November. I got an acceptance call from FSU and an email from Wake Forest in the first week of December. Didn't hear from UF until end of January/ early February. So, compared to peer schools, they do seem to be a bit slower. With that said, I sent my application off the same time as a friend of mine (159/3.9) and he did not get his acceptance until April.

I'm not entirely sure, but last year UF seemed to have a wave of acceptances go out after their first admitted students day. It was about a week after I went to the ASD (in March I think?) that my friend received his acceptance. We joked that they did this to weed out that second wave of admits from attending the March ASD, but it may have sort of been true? I'm not certain. But I would certainly say that UF takes longer to make a decision than many other schools, particularly for borderline candidates.

Speaking as someone who is very likely to be a borderline candidate, boooooooo.... haha
Thanks for the info.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:56 pm

gdane5 wrote:The whole mailing the $30 to them thing is really annoying. I withdrew my app when I read that. Also, because I had no interest in staying in Florida. Hate it here.

I'm not a huge fan of the state but you can't beat that in-state tuition!! North Florida isn't so bad...

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Kchuck wrote:

What part of Florida?

Miami. I hate Florida in general though. Im not from here so I see more of the flaws than people that have lived here their whole lives do. Like today its hot and rainy. Icky!

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 pm

You don't mail it to them... see above.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Barbie wrote: North Florida isn't so bad...

This is correct.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Kchuck wrote:

This is correct.

:D

Miami sucks, but gainesville and tallahassee have somewhat of seasons.. and from FSU GA isn't too far away :).

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:48 pm

Barbie wrote:
Kchuck wrote:

This is correct.

Miami sucks, but gainesville and tallahassee have somewhat of seasons.. and from FSU GA isn't too far away :).

I've lived in Florida my whole life, and while I sometimes think about leaving at least for a little, I don't know if I would survive anywhere else, especially up north. I couldn't even handle the winters in Gainesville last year! I do love Florida though. The summers can be pretty miserable, but I'd take them any day over the freezing winters that other places have.

tebow4president

Postby tebow4president » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:48 am

flgator10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Kchuck wrote:

This is correct.

I've lived in Florida my whole life, and while I sometimes think about leaving at least for a little, I don't know if I would survive anywhere else, especially up north. I couldn't even handle the winters in Gainesville last year! I do love Florida though. The summers can be pretty miserable, but I'd take them any day over the freezing winters that other places have.

i came to UF from kentucky and at first i absolutely despised 10 months of heat and 2 months of mildness... but after how cold the past winter was here i really dont think i can live anywhere else. i need the warmth.

and how are you all gonna hate on miami!? there + ft lauderdale are like the only 2 places in FL worth living.

Triple_Entendre

Postby Triple_Entendre » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 am

What do you gals/guys think about submitting my application in Late October, early November? I want to wait for my new LSAT score to come in and I also am still waiting on a transcript to be processed. :?:

flgator10

Postby flgator10 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:13 am

Triple_Entendre wrote:What do you gals/guys think about submitting my application in Late October, early November? I want to wait for my new LSAT score to come in and I also am still waiting on a transcript to be processed. :?:

I will be doing the same thing. My dilemma is that I may want to retake the LSAT in December if I'm not happy with my October score. What does everyone else think about taking the December test? Is that too late?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:45 am

Triple_Entendre wrote:What do you gals/guys think about submitting my application in Late October, early November? I want to wait for my new LSAT score to come in and I also am still waiting on a transcript to be processed. :?:

Here is what the adcomm at UF told me about this: He actually told me to not retake at all unless I was going to put a substantial amount of time into studying. He said it would be more beneficial to apply as early as possible than to get a small gain on the October test. Because of this, I withdrew from my October LSAT registration, and I will re-register in December if I haven't gotten into a school I would like to attend. My LSAT retake is probably going to end up being to sway WL to accept me, which could essentially be done in February too.

If you LSAT is good enough to apply with, APPLY NOW. If you are below median, maybe wait it out..
This is my 2cents incorporated with an adcomms 2cents :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”