U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Gold

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:12 pm

alicrimson wrote:Gah! I want to apply here soo badly. Everything is done except for one LoR from my coach, who has been dragging his feet on this task for nearly a month. I don't know how I can stress to him any stronger how crucial the letter is but....hopefully soon. Soon I will be complete too. lol.
I would just submit without it. A coach (no matter the sport or competitive level) still isn't > than a professor IMO. If you 2 academic ones (which you prob should anyways) I would go ahead and submit! Getting in before all the October LSAT takers could be crucial (assuming you have an LSAT score already). Just my 2cents!!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
alicrimson wrote:Gah! I want to apply here soo badly. Everything is done except for one LoR from my coach, who has been dragging his feet on this task for nearly a month. I don't know how I can stress to him any stronger how crucial the letter is but....hopefully soon. Soon I will be complete too. lol.
I would just submit without it. A coach (no matter the sport or competitive level) still isn't > than a professor IMO. If you 2 academic ones (which you prob should anyways) I would go ahead and submit! Getting in before all the October LSAT takers could be crucial (assuming you have an LSAT score already). Just my 2cents!!

Very true, especially since UF doesn't even really require LORs. Submit!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:56 am

Last edited by alicrimson on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:04 pm

alicrimson wrote:Thanks everyone for your advice regarding the letter situation. As for submission, I only currently have one eval and one letter in. I'm waiting on my coach and a professional letter to come it. If I were to submit only one would this look really bad? My personal statement ties heavily into what will be including in my coach's letter. Also, say I did submit, would I be able to send the letters at a later point they finally do come in? I should probably call LSAC on this but if anyone knows off the fly, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yep, you can send evaluations even after you're complete. You assign it the same way you do before you're complete, and they're sent off to the school. I've done this for several schools so far.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Last edited by alicrimson on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:15 pm

alicrimson wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
alicrimson wrote:Thanks everyone for your advice regarding the letter situation. As for submission, I only currently have one eval and one letter in. I'm waiting on my coach and a professional letter to come it. If I were to submit only one would this look really bad? My personal statement ties heavily into what will be including in my coach's letter. Also, say I did submit, would I be able to send the letters at a later point they finally do come in? I should probably call LSAC on this but if anyone knows off the fly, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yep, you can send evaluations even after you're complete. You assign it the same way you do before you're complete, and they're sent off to the school. I've done this for several schools so far.
I'm about to reveal my ignorance regarding this whole process but....what does that mean before I go complete? Meaning I can hit "submit", pay my fees, and then have lsac send the letter when it finally comes [I've already assigned the missing letter]? Or do I not pay the fee? I really have no idea what is taking my coach this long to write a letter but I know he is not done and I've been trying to move this little process along for about the past 4 weeks or so. Some people are just scatterbrained.
Going complete is having all your documents in to the school with nothing required missing. For UF it takes a little longer, because a couple of days after submitting they send you a website where you basically fill out another application and pay the $30 dollar fee. If you do all this before your coach's letter comes in, you will be complete as soon as your done. If you assigned your missing coach's letter to UF, than as soon as he submits it and it is processed by LSAC, it will be sent off to UF and added to your already complete file.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:31 pm

UF requires 0 letters of recommendation. I would send the one you have and call it a day. If you get waitlisted, then you can send the one from your coach to hopefully see movement there. I don't think a qualified candidate will NOT get in because of one LOR. I don't know anything about evaluations though. I know UF doesn't require them. Most schools don't take them seriously from what I've gathered and I didn't do any. But, IMO-- hit submit... now!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:59 pm

This anticipation is killer ..

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:05 pm

SixStrings11 wrote:This anticipation is killer ..

+1. Virtually all of my applications are "under review" and my anxiety level is at all an all time high. :shock:
I need to know! Cue the Marc Anthony song...

Alicrimson:

The advice you have gotten from everyone else is pretty much accurate. Submitting as early as possible is in your best interest as it will take them time to process what you already have anyway. If you submit now, they will process your application and consider it complete. The extra letter from your coach will be submitted once LSAC processes it. I wouldn't let that hold up your application. Just go ahead and submit it and just let the letters come in after. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what are your numbers? If you are on the lower end, then it is definitely best to go ahead and submit. Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Last edited by alicrimson on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jr1886

Bronze

Post by jr1886 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:20 am

Submitted today!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:25 am

I was in the admissions office at UF yesterday and I go to most of their local admissions seminars. First of all, they are fairly adamant that you use most of the 4 pages for the admissions statement. Second, don't ever refer to it as a Personal Statement. This is one way UF tries to distance themselves from PSs that applicants just cut and paste to various schools. Third, the DS is anything you want. Certainly does not have to be ethnicity or socio-economic. Like most schools, just anything that you will bring to the class.
Good Luck. Go Gators

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:02 am

kwais wrote:I was in the admissions office at UF yesterday and I go to most of their local admissions seminars. First of all, they are fairly adamant that you use most of the 4 pages for the admissions statement. Second, don't ever refer to it as a Personal Statement. This is one way UF tries to distance themselves from PSs that applicants just cut and paste to various schools. Third, the DS is anything you want. Certainly does not have to be ethnicity or socio-economic. Like most schools, just anything that you will bring to the class.
Good Luck. Go Gators
Ha, I pretty much did everything you said not to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 am

Ildeuce wrote:
kwais wrote:I was in the admissions office at UF yesterday and I go to most of their local admissions seminars. First of all, they are fairly adamant that you use most of the 4 pages for the admissions statement. Second, don't ever refer to it as a Personal Statement. This is one way UF tries to distance themselves from PSs that applicants just cut and paste to various schools. Third, the DS is anything you want. Certainly does not have to be ethnicity or socio-economic. Like most schools, just anything that you will bring to the class.
Good Luck. Go Gators
Ha, I pretty much did everything you said not to.
Same. Only three pages, and I labeled it as a "Personal Statement" ... oops

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:50 am

Last edited by alicrimson on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:48 pm

I labelled mine "personal statement" too.... but one of the UF adcomms did read mine and offer advice before I submitted... and it said it then and she didn't say anything about it... so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, mine is only 3 full pages, and my DS is 2 full pages. I figured that makes 5 :) hah

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:29 am

Did anyone else get an email from UF addressed to Prospective Student? I saw that this morning when I woke up and became incredibly nervous and excited at the same time, thinking a decision was made. Then I open it and it's just a newsletter..... What a way to start the day. At least they're nice enough to send an update on the process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:37 am

SixStrings11 wrote:Did anyone else get an email from UF addressed to Prospective Student? I saw that this morning when I woke up and became incredibly nervous and excited at the same time, thinking a decision was made. Then I open it and it's just a newsletter..... What a way to start the day. At least they're nice enough to send an update on the process.

I got this email as well! It's totally unfair that they labeled it "update" because my anxiety got the better of me and I thought it was about an admissions decision :oops:
But it is nice that they sent out a newsletter. Although most of it is not anything new, especially to people who frequent TLS. At least it was reassuring to find out that if you applied early you will be in the first batch of decisions. Oh well, here is to staying positive and hoping we hear soon!

Edit: Spelling.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Should I apply to UF with my score I have now 2.91/164 and possibly take Feb if/when I get Waitlisted, or just hold off and take the Dec test again? Im fairly confident i could boost my score by atleast 2 points.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Sandro- Was the 164 your first shot? Because I went and had a sit down with 2 UF adcomms, and told them I was considering a retake (pre-October). They said getting 2 points extra on the LSAT wouldn't help me as much as applying early. They said they already assume that candidates, for example, with a 164 could get a 166 on a good day. But, if you have taken the LSAT prior (this would be your third shot), there is even more of a reason to not retake. He said while they def take the highest score into MOST consideration, they do look at if you have a lower score sitting around (I do, and he said this can hurt you against a candidate with the same #s) so its even more important to apply early. IMO, apply, see if you get waitlisted (you clearly might just get in!) and then figure it out.

And I got the newsletter too but I wasn't worried bc its from Mr. Jake and I'm sure he doesn't personally send out decisions haha.

SixStrings11

Bronze

Post by SixStrings11 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Barbie wrote: And I got the newsletter too but I wasn't worried bc its from Mr. Jake and I'm sure he doesn't personally send out decisions haha.
Yea, I was still hoping for some sort of "your application has been reviewed, and a decision is in the mail" type of deal.. Preferably ending with a "P.S. Your accepted!" :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jeremychristiansen

New

Post by jeremychristiansen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:18 pm

10/26/2010 Under review by committee...anyone else?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:25 pm

Barbie wrote:Sandro- Was the 164 your first shot? Because I went and had a sit down with 2 UF adcomms, and told them I was considering a retake (pre-October). They said getting 2 points extra on the LSAT wouldn't help me as much as applying early. They said they already assume that candidates, for example, with a 164 could get a 166 on a good day. But, if you have taken the LSAT prior (this would be your third shot), there is even more of a reason to not retake. He said while they def take the highest score into MOST consideration, they do look at if you have a lower score sitting around (I do, and he said this can hurt you against a candidate with the same #s) so its even more important to apply early. IMO, apply, see if you get waitlisted (you clearly might just get in!) and then figure it out.

And I got the newsletter too but I wasn't worried bc its from Mr. Jake and I'm sure he doesn't personally send out decisions haha.
Second shot. Yea, I was thinking a Dec. retake would be super risky. This should make this cycle interesting though as I'm on the edge at almost every school I want to go to.... LSN shows someone with a 164/3.05 getting in applying right around when I will be applying. And hey I just saw your PM.
Last edited by Sandro on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
Barbie wrote:Sandro- Was the 164 your first shot? Because I went and had a sit down with 2 UF adcomms, and told them I was considering a retake (pre-October). They said getting 2 points extra on the LSAT wouldn't help me as much as applying early. They said they already assume that candidates, for example, with a 164 could get a 166 on a good day. But, if you have taken the LSAT prior (this would be your third shot), there is even more of a reason to not retake. He said while they def take the highest score into MOST consideration, they do look at if you have a lower score sitting around (I do, and he said this can hurt you against a candidate with the same #s) so its even more important to apply early. IMO, apply, see if you get waitlisted (you clearly might just get in!) and then figure it out.

Second shot. Yea, I was thinking a Dec. retake would be super risky. This should make this cycle interesting though as I'm on the edge at almost every school I want to go to....

I'm PMing you, (even though you ignored my first one ;) )

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Last edited by alicrimson on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”