U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wbbguy

New

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by wbbguy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Waitlist for me.

Hears to hoping some people withdraw and open up a space for me, hehe.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:15 pm

haoledugan wrote:New avatar............. gave in to the peer pressure. lol. So how do we know what section we'll be in??
According to the website, they will assign us a section in August.

EDIT: It's sent by email from Student Affairs
link: --LinkRemoved--

papalew

New

Post by papalew » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:46 pm

WL for me. But that was to be expected with my GPA.

slvrsk8r

New

Post by slvrsk8r » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:33 pm

WL here too, definitely disappointed but hopefully there is some WL movement.

haoledugan

Bronze

Post by haoledugan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
haoledugan wrote:New avatar............. gave in to the peer pressure. lol. So how do we know what section we'll be in??
According to the website, they will assign us a section in August.

EDIT: It's sent by email from Student Affairs
link: --LinkRemoved--
Thanks. Can't wait to meet all of my fellow 2014 class!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Bronze

Post by FortuneFavorsTheBold » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:15 pm

CONFESSION ..... just started reading "Law School for Dummies" .... Good book lol

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 am

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:CONFESSION ..... just started reading "Law School for Dummies" .... Good book lol
That's probably not going to help you do well in law school. However, if you're just reading it to get a glimpse of what you're in for, then it's probably helpful.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:25 am

GatorStudent wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:CONFESSION ..... just started reading "Law School for Dummies" .... Good book lol
That's probably not going to help you do well in law school. However, if you're just reading it to get a glimpse of what you're in for, then it's probably helpful.
Are there any books at all you would recommend? I'm guessing not, but I figured I would ask...

JcM_LAW

New

Post by JcM_LAW » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:27 pm

waitlisted... hopefully we get some movement...
Oh well, FSU is gonna kick UF's ass in football the next 3 years. and lets be honest, isnt that what really matters when choosing a law school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Barbie wrote:
GatorStudent wrote:
Are there any books at all you would recommend? I'm guessing not, but I figured I would ask...
Well, there's a saying that "you take a professor, not a subject," and I find that it generally holds true. For some professors, just reading up on the law will not help you on their exam, and often may hurt you. Once you know your professors, though, I'm sure that I (and the other upperclassmen) could help you with recommendations!

However, if you really are gung-ho and want to read something that MAY (it might not, though!) help, I recommend brushing up on how to be a good writer. "Legal Writing by Design," which is authored by Pflaum and Rambo (2 UF law professors), is solid, but I don't really think you need to necessarily read it yet. Relax, as too many law students are so stressed already at the beginning, and that probably doesn't help them study efficiently (which may lead to lower grades).

My suggestion, again, is to not read supplements until you know who your professors are. However, what I do recommend is begin to: a) research the areas of the law you might like to practice; b) get the courage to shadow people in those areas of the law; c) try to discern where you want to live, as it will make your job search much easier; and d) become acquainted with finding lawyers with similar experiences/interests/schools that you went to, including law school. I've found that, in my experience and the experience of many who are doing well, that networking, in addition to grades and school organizations such as Journals, and Moot Court, lead to the "best" jobs (or any job at all, in this economy). I can't stress this enough.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Bronze

Post by FortuneFavorsTheBold » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:40 pm

GatorStudent wrote:

lol of course not...but yea, definitely insightful on what to expect

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Getting to Maybe, and even that's not really super helpful before law school (you can read it after you've taken some practice tests w/ the same effectiveness).

What Gatorstudent said is true, some other helpful tips would be to: research law firms, make attorney contacts, brush up your resume/cover letter, make a list of employers you're interested in, etc.

I don't recommend pre-studying (although I did it). If you're going to, civ pro and torts E&Es are pretty straight forward, I just read for content and didn't try to do any problems.
Those are some great recommendations. And I agree that if you're going to "pre-study," concentrate on the civil procedure and torts E&E's (Examples & Explanations Series by Apsen Publishers). The other topics are too professor-specific at UF.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:
lol of course not...but yea, definitely insightful on what to expect
Ok...just wanted to make sure! :D

Sir Pink

New

Post by Sir Pink » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:59 pm

letter was mailed this past tuesday and i received it today in VA. i've been waitlisted

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:08 am

My Financial Aid information is slowly being updated. Looks like I'm not going to get anything other than loans. Does anyone know why they would have my loan "awards" amounting to less than the estimated COA though?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:13 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:My Financial Aid information is slowly being updated. Looks like I'm not going to get anything other than loans. Does anyone know why they would have my loan "awards" amounting to less than the estimated COA though?
rwerjwoeirhweio get on fb chat

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:03 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:My Financial Aid information is slowly being updated. Looks like I'm not going to get anything other than loans. Does anyone know why they would have my loan "awards" amounting to less than the estimated COA though?
Where are you seeing this? I looked on ISIS, but it doesn't have anything.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it. Looks like I'm just getting merit + loans.

EDIT 2: Does it say your admissions status is incomplete?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:55 am

admissions status incomplete? Where does it say that on yours? I'm thinking mine is all screwed up because of Bright Futures. It says right now that I am on warning because I'm approaching maximum hours allowed for my degree. psst! UF! I'm graduating!

prettyinpink02

New

Post by prettyinpink02 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:15 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

Where is your admissions status? I don't see that anywhere on mine!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:24 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

I saw it on mine. I'm incomplete too. If I remember correctly its under.. aid status?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Barbie wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

I saw it on mine. I'm incomplete too. If I remember correctly its under.. aid status?
Yeah I think it's under aid status. It just says my financial aid status is incomplete because my admissions status is incomplete.

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Okay, I just registered for ISIS today. I tried looking at the info under the Financial Aid status. It just listed loans, but it seems kind of confusing. I was only interested in one of them to offset costs of living since I have other benefits coming, but wasn't sure what was what. Also, does anyone know of where you can check your residency status in there? UF gave me a scare a few weeks ago when they sent me a letter about being unable to determine my residency status and the amounts under the COA computations look like non-resident tuition totals (34K)? I sent them my DD2058 and active duty orders, then called a week later asking if they had everything. The lady I spoke to said they did and that if I didn't hear from them prior to August, that would mean I would be good (somehow I didn't get the warm fuzzies with this response).

Work has kept me out of the loop/thread for awhile. Congrats to everyone who made it into the c/o 2014.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:31 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Ok just to double check, when y'all are talking about seeing your financial aid information, it just says the following, right?
Your combined aggregate Stafford Loan total as of your most recent 2011-2012 financial aid application is $

Your combined aggregate federal loan total as of your most recent 2011-2012 financial aid application is $
Stafford and scholarships are the only things that should be showing up right now since we can't apply for GradPLUS until July 15th, right?
I thought that was the amt of loans we already had... and my # is different than yours.
Last edited by Barbie on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”