U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sandro

Gold

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by Sandro » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:26 am

Barbie wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:Thought there would be some rule like that. Although I'd much rather have UGA in state, in state for FSU/UF will come in handy because they are both schools that should be in my range even if I dont get the top score im looking for.
It doesn't work like that, I'm sure. You can only get in-state for ONE state, I'm almost positive...

Youll need a 164 for a prayer at UGA, and a 165 for a pretty good shot. (from the GPA in your prof)
and prob at LEAST a 163+ for UF and FSU
I asked people in the UGA thread from last year and they said as long as you were in the state for over a year I should be fine. By the time I start at UGA it will have been over a year if I get in/choose to go there. I cant imagine it being 1 year starting from when you were accepted/applied... but who knows. Ill have to ask them that.

My last 8 or so PTs have been avg 165. hit 169 on 52 yesterday and think I might be on the home stretch. Already took the LSAT last sep so I just hope i can avoid a negative drop on test day.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:02 pm

UF Law is 100% smoke free !! :D No yucky cigarette smoke smells between classes!!! Awesome.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:43 am

Barbie wrote:UF Law is 100% smoke free !! :D No yucky cigarette smoke smells between classes!!! Awesome.
Hmm laws are enforced and have penalties. UF's ban on smoking contains neither of those 2 things...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:35 pm

submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA
I submitted my app Sept. 16th and just got emails from UF yesterday to fill out some supplemental data and to pay the $30 app fee online. I also got my UF ID and a link to the status checker. So you should definitely get that sometime soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:06 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Barbie wrote:UF Law is 100% smoke free !! :D No yucky cigarette smoke smells between classes!!! Awesome.
Hmm laws are enforced and have penalties. UF's ban on smoking contains neither of those 2 things...
By UF Law I meant the law campus lol. Not that the LAW is that it is non-smoking. And you have been on the UG campus, which is 100x bigger than the tiny law campus. I'm sure its much easier to enforce when there are like, 3 outdoor hallways total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:10 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:submitted my app last week. Does any know if UF sends out complete email, status checker, or anything like that? TIA
Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Barbie wrote:
Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(
Crap! that late? I know FSU has given out some acceptances, is UF not known to give out early acceptances?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:16 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Crap! that late? I know FSU has given out some acceptances, is UF not known to give out early acceptances?
No the lady told me they dont even sit down and look at them until November...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Barbie wrote:
ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Oh wow thanks for letting me know that, I would have been on my status checker 14 times a day...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:21 pm

ns77770 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Oh wow thanks for letting me know that, I would have been on my status checker 14 times a day...
lol the FSU one is becoming addicting... heh

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:25 pm

minuit wrote: I submitted my app Sept. 16th and just got emails from UF yesterday to fill out some supplemental data and to pay the $30 app fee online. I also got my UF ID and a link to the status checker. So you should definitely get that sometime soon!
Thanks. I submitted mine last thursday, so I will give it some times.
Barbie wrote: Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(
haha, I am eager to get the status checker so I can know if my app is complete and stuff. I know it will be a long cycle for me.

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
minuit wrote: I submitted my app Sept. 16th and just got emails from UF yesterday to fill out some supplemental data and to pay the $30 app fee online. I also got my UF ID and a link to the status checker. So you should definitely get that sometime soon!
Thanks. I submitted mine last thursday, so I will give it some times.
Barbie wrote: Mine went out middle of last week and I haven't gotten anything. I know UF is particularly slow compared to the other schools I've applied. They won't even start looking until mid-late Nov., so it's pointless to get excited about the status checker now :(
haha, I am eager to get the status checker so I can know if my app is complete and stuff. I know it will be a long cycle for me.
What are your #s?, if you don't mind me asking...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 pm

I wanna know too :D & if you want mine you can PM me!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
By UF Law I meant the law campus lol. Not that the LAW is that it is non-smoking. And you have been on the UG campus, which is 100x bigger than the tiny law campus. I'm sure its much easier to enforce when there are like, 3 outdoor hallways total.
Ah, RC fail haha. Yea, if anything I've seen more kids smoking since the ban, maybe I just notice it now where as before I didn't even realize it. But the LS is definitely small enough and I'm sure it's a little more looked down upon since it is smaller and you'd be bothering more people. I've never seen anyone smoking when I've been at the LS.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Barbie wrote:I wanna know too :D & if you want mine you can PM me!
Sorry, but I am more comfortable to disclose my numbers after my cycle is over. However, my GPA is slightly below their 25%, and that worries me.

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
Barbie wrote:I wanna know too :D & if you want mine you can PM me!
Sorry, but I am more comfortable to disclose my numbers after my cycle is over. However, my GPA is slightly below their 25%, and that worries me.
Where's your lsat at? Above their 75th%?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:40 pm

will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:50 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.
A high enough LSAT will offset a bad GPA, but yours isnt even really bad! :D
and if you are looking anywhere near schools like UVA... I'm sure you will have NO problem at UF! Also, UF doesn't give advantage to in-staters really, from what I;ve heard...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:03 pm

Barbie wrote:
tbldc2009 wrote:will a good lsat offset a low gpa? I know school like UVA takes splitters through ED, but don't know much about UF. Also, I am not a Florida resident. Thus, hoping my low gpa won't hurt my chance too much. Anyhow, I am here with everyone until next May. Good luck to you all.
A high enough LSAT will offset a bad GPA, but yours isnt even really bad! :D
and if you are looking anywhere near schools like UVA... I'm sure you will have NO problem at UF! Also, UF doesn't give advantage to in-staters really, from what I;ve heard...
Thanks. That's really helpful.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Not only is there no preference given to in state, but I've heard that, given everything else the exact same, an out of state applicant would be chosen over an in state.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Not only is there no preference given to in state, but I've heard that, given everything else the exact same, an out of state applicant would be chosen over an in state.
I have this theory that this situation never exists. There never is "the exact same" because I hope that PS, LOR, extra currics, etc will play SOME kind of role. These things are never the exact same :D

Neo

Bronze

Post by Neo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
I have this theory that this situation never exists. There never is "the exact same" because I hope that PS, LOR, extra currics, etc will play SOME kind of role. These things are never the exact same :D

Ha ha it's funny you say this because when I spoke with an admissions officer I asked the VERY same question. The response was: "That's impossible. There is never a situation where two applicants are exactly the same. Although their numbers may be identical, there will always be something in their files to set them apart." So either A.) They were lying or B.) Resumes, Personal Statements, LORS, diversity statements, and other softs do play a role.
I sincerely hope it is the latter.

Additionally, I have heard that out of state sometimes gets a bonus during budget cuts since they need the extra cash the out-of-state students can provide. A teacher who sits on an admissions council (not a law school one) once told me that; but, I doubt you will ever get someone to formally admit to that.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 pm

Neo wrote: Additionally, I have heard that out of state sometimes gets a bonus during budget cuts since they need the extra cash the out-of-state students can provide. A teacher who sits on an admissions council (not a law school one) once told me that; but, I doubt you will ever get someone to formally admit to that.
This sounds logical. Do you know how easy/hard can one obtain resident status?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 pm

tbldc2009 wrote:
Neo wrote: Additionally, I have heard that out of state sometimes gets a bonus during budget cuts since they need the extra cash the out-of-state students can provide. A teacher who sits on an admissions council (not a law school one) once told me that; but, I doubt you will ever get someone to formally admit to that.
This sounds logical. Do you know how easy/hard can one obtain resident status?
FL= very easy. theres a residency thread if you search for it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”