U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:38 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I feel like class is going to be an entertaining shitshow (for the rest of us) if Barbie and Heat are in the same section. Can we make this happen?
um... YES PLEASE. Also, Heat... you shouldn't be talking shit about your own school. 4.0 GPA's are nice, but they don't mean shit. My roommate had a 4.0 and she was perhaps the least intelligent and aware person I have ever met.
True I mean I applied with a 2.87 :D

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:22 am

<3 FTH
Last edited by Sandro on Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aro5389

New

Post by Aro5389 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Am I the only one who isn't offended by Heat? I don't think what he was getting at is so bad, just trying to tell someone potentially in a position to do better and take advantage of the time they have before the next cycle.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Aro5389 wrote:Am I the only one who isn't offended by Heat? I don't think what he was getting at is so bad, just trying to tell someone potentially in a position to do better and take advantage of the time they have before the next cycle.
Lolwut? I'm not offended. This is the UF thread. As UF students, I believe we hold some obligation for giving future students the positive vibe that brought us to this school. There are a million places to go and bash UF, but not here. This is where prospective students are coming for information and advice. I, for one, am looking to do whatever I can to make sure UF continues to bring in the best applicants it can. If you want to tell someone to go elsewhere and that they can do better, GTFO and do it somewhere else. Has no one heard of a PM? (I already nagged Heat on facebook for this, so at this point its just an FYI)

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Barbie wrote: Lolwut? I'm not offended. This is the UF thread. As UF students, I believe we hold some obligation for giving future students the positive vibe that brought us to this school. There are a million places to go and bash UF, but not here. This is where prospective students are coming for information and advice. I, for one, am looking to do whatever I can to make sure UF continues to bring in the best applicants it can. If you want to tell someone to go elsewhere and that they can do better, GTFO and do it somewhere else. Has no one heard of a PM? (I already nagged Heat on facebook for this, so at this point its just an FYI)
I don't blame Heat for stating his opinion in this thread. Instead of merely having one person benefit from his advice (which is sound advice for many, if not most, people), he's allowing others to see it. After all, that is a major reason why TLS is such a popular site for prospective law students. I'd rather have someone give advice that will benefit that person than refrain from giving advice on a forum "merely" to help UF keep the best applicants it can--and that's coming from someone who loves UF.

Also, on the issue of "people get to set their own goals," I know plenty of people in life who have needed someone to "coach" them, because they never had people tell them about their true potential. It's not that Heat or others are on here are dictating their goals--they're merely showing them that there's another viewpoint. I've had quite a few times where I've been extremely thankful that others have showed me other viewpoints (especially re: law schools) that I didn't consider/know were out there.

Just something to think about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 pm

GatorStudent wrote:
Barbie wrote: Lolwut? I'm not offended. This is the UF thread. As UF students, I believe we hold some obligation for giving future students the positive vibe that brought us to this school. There are a million places to go and bash UF, but not here. This is where prospective students are coming for information and advice. I, for one, am looking to do whatever I can to make sure UF continues to bring in the best applicants it can. If you want to tell someone to go elsewhere and that they can do better, GTFO and do it somewhere else. Has no one heard of a PM? (I already nagged Heat on facebook for this, so at this point its just an FYI)
I don't blame Heat for stating his opinion in this thread. Instead of merely having one person benefit from his advice (which is sound advice for many, if not most, people), he's allowing others to see it. After all, that is a major reason why TLS is such a popular site for prospective law students. I'd rather have someone give advice that will benefit that person than refrain from giving advice on a forum "merely" to help UF keep the best applicants it can--and that's coming from someone who loves UF.

Also, on the issue of "people get to set their own goals," I know plenty of people in life who have needed someone to "coach" them, because they never had people tell them about their true potential. It's not that Heat or others are on here are dictating their goals--they're merely showing them that there's another viewpoint. I've had quite a few times where I've been extremely thankful that others have showed me other viewpoints (especially re: law schools) that I didn't consider/know were out there.

Just something to think about.
Oh thanks. None of those point EVER crossed my mind before. :shock:

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Barbie wrote: Oh thanks. None of those point EVER crossed my mind before. :shock:
:D

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Sandro wrote:<3 FTH
I like that better haha

Light

Bronze

Post by Light » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:11 pm

I withdrew on Friday freeing up 36k to attend Cornell with a bit of aid.

Thanks to FeeltheHeat and others who gave me some advice earlier on. One primary reason I withdrew is because I felt UF misrepresented their employment statistics to an unacceptable extent and in reality I wouldn't be likely to have the opportunities I'd want.

GL everyone, hope someone deserving gets my money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Light wrote:I withdrew on Friday freeing up 36k to attend Cornell with a bit of aid.

Thanks to FeeltheHeat and others who gave me some advice earlier on. One primary reason I withdrew is because I felt UF misrepresented their employment statistics to an unacceptable extent and in reality I wouldn't be likely to have the opportunities I'd want.

GL everyone, hope someone deserving gets my money.
Good luck at Cornell. Would you mind elaborating on your claim about the misrepresented employment statistics?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:51 pm

can't speak for light, but I must say that UF was probably the most honest school I visited. I didn't have anyone tell me the picture was pretty. I appreciated that.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Current students: I know at other schools you can request a one time loan increase for a laptop, but with UF they have in our budget $1300ish for laptop/cellphone. Do we get that $1300 each year or just the first year? I plan on using the full amount this year for a laptop, but I am curious if I'll have that money to
redistribute to other areas of my budget for 2L&3L.

Also, when should we expect our loans to be dispersed?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:27 am

thewarflamingo wrote:Current students: I know at other schools you can request a one time loan increase for a laptop, but with UF they have in our budget $1300ish for laptop/cellphone. Do we get that $1300 each year or just the first year? I plan on using the full amount this year for a laptop, but I am curious if I'll have that money to

I know with undergrad, the loans were usually dispersed the week after drop/add or so. Tuition wasn't due then if you deferred it until around November.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:59 am

In Gainesville, going by the law school tomorrow. Anything you guys want me to ask (besides why they are so cheap)?

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:In Gainesville, going by the law school tomorrow. Anything you guys want me to ask (besides why they are so cheap)?

Yeah, ask them when the creepy statute by the library entrance will be removed. Seriously, check it out. From a distance you'll feel like an old man is staring you down, no matter where you are in the courtyard.

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:54 am

Moose Thompson wrote: Yeah, ask them when the creepy statute by the library entrance will be removed. Seriously, check it out. From a distance you'll feel like an old man is staring you down, no matter where you are in the courtyard.
No, do NOT check it out, because it's creepy! I can't believe they placed it there...I've heard that it might be temporary.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:51 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Current students: I know at other schools you can request a one time loan increase for a laptop, but with UF they have in our budget $1300ish for laptop/cellphone. Do we get that $1300 each year or just the first year? I plan on using the full amount this year for a laptop, but I am curious if I'll have that money to

I know with undergrad, the loans were usually dispersed the week after drop/add or so. Tuition wasn't due then if you deferred it until around November.
Seriously??? That is pretty ridiculous and is going to make me so freaking broke.

Can any any current students answer my question about the laptop portion of the budget?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:02 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Seriously??? That is pretty ridiculous and is going to make me so freaking broke.

Can any any current students answer my question about the laptop portion of the budget?
http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/basics/cost-of-attendance/

"Computer costs built into student budgets are “annualized.” This means the figure is derived from one year’s monthly costs for purchase or lease of equipment (including printer, modem/ethernet, CD ROM drive) and annual software purchases/upgrades. These costs are figured over a two-year period."

They also say that continuing student costs may be lower. So I would plan on NOT having the cash, and then if they offer it next year, it will be a pleasant surprise.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 pm

You guys aren't kidding. I just walked by the statue and it is goddamn creepy.

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:You guys aren't kidding. I just walked by the statue and it is goddamn creepy.
And it looks as though the "man" is holding a cell phone, but he's "thinking"

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:56 pm

People in the immunizations office are unhelpful/ignorant. I have to drive BACK to UPS and re-fax mine today because they "didn't receive it".... I called them immediately after to see if they went through yesterday and they told me to wait a day... I waited a day to find out it didn't work! YAY. Yall should check on yours too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amarkonthedoor

New

Post by amarkonthedoor » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Barbie wrote:People in the immunizations office are unhelpful/ignorant. I have to drive BACK to UPS and re-fax mine today because they "didn't receive it".... I called them immediately after to see if they went through yesterday and they told me to wait a day... I waited a day to find out it didn't work! YAY. Yall should check on yours too!
That sucks :( This would show up in the form of a hold on ISIS, right? Or should we just call?

Unrelated question: does anyone know about how long it will be until I see loan info on ISIS after completing entrance counseling and my MPN? It still says no financial aid on mine. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:32 pm

amarkonthedoor wrote:
Barbie wrote:People in the immunizations office are unhelpful/ignorant. I have to drive BACK to UPS and re-fax mine today because they "didn't receive it".... I called them immediately after to see if they went through yesterday and they told me to wait a day... I waited a day to find out it didn't work! YAY. Yall should check on yours too!
That sucks :( This would show up in the form of a hold on ISIS, right? Or should we just call?

Unrelated question: does anyone know about how long it will be until I see loan info on ISIS after completing entrance counseling and my MPN? It still says no financial aid on mine. Or am I looking in the wrong place?
It will show up as a hold on ISIS. I still need to do my MPN. I guess I should do that today.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Carol Huber is great about everything involving financial aid. I went by her office, she made sure I was up to date and had completed everything I needed to, and let me know when to expect the money. If anyone is confused I would definitely recommend calling her.

Also, threw up pics of the school in the pictures thread. Unfortunately, our place of study isn't the prettiest, but I did my best, and I'll add more next time I head up of the basketball stadium, undergrad itself, etc.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:40 pm

amarkonthedoor wrote:

Did you have a driving ticket on your record? I know flamingo and I haven't gotten our loan info because of this. It'll show up around the 22nd with everything else The Hubernator told me ;)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”