U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Gold

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:39 am

With each passing day I feel like I'm growing farther away from UF. :( Resentment? A week from tomorrow I'll know whether or not my house will be up for re-sale. Its all so saddd!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:36 pm

FLIP FLOPPER!!!

g-children

New

Post by g-children » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:54 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:If you were accepted after the 15th of February you have until the 15th of April to fill out the form...

here is the link, this also came in ur acceptance package, --LinkRemoved--

HOPE THIS HELPS! :}
Thanks, that does help a lot.

:?: :?: :?: Another Essay?! Oh well....Any ideas on what to or not include?

Oh and btw, I am looking for a roommate too :D

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Barbie wrote:With each passing day I feel like I'm growing farther away from UF. :( Resentment? A week from tomorrow I'll know whether or not my house will be up for re-sale. Its all so saddd!
It seems like you are letting the fact that UF didn't give you any aid as if they don't want you. Definitely visit Tulane and see how comfortable you'd feel in New Orleans as opposed to Florida. The cost of living will be higher there I'd assume and I really can't speak to the job market although I would assume it hasn't fully recovered since Katrina. UF is a great deal regardless of any aid and I was planning on going regardless of my aid situation. It seems like for the most part, need and merit based aid is based on an objective formula so I wouldn't take it as a diss at all if they didn't award you anything. If you look at it from a different angle, at Tulane there would be a possibility of losing your scholarship (assuming you have stips) whereas UF is going to cost the same regardless. Just some things to think about... good luck with your decision and I'm sure UF would love to have you join Gator nation.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:42 pm

hurricane10 wrote:
Barbie wrote:With each passing day I feel like I'm growing farther away from UF. :( Resentment? A week from tomorrow I'll know whether or not my house will be up for re-sale. Its all so saddd!
It seems like you are letting the fact that UF didn't give you any aid as if they don't want you. Definitely visit Tulane and see how comfortable you'd feel in New Orleans as opposed to Florida. The cost of living will be higher there I'd assume and I really can't speak to the job market although I would assume it hasn't fully recovered since Katrina. UF is a great deal regardless of any aid and I was planning on going regardless of my aid situation. It seems like for the most part, need and merit based aid is based on an objective formula so I wouldn't take it as a diss at all if they didn't award you anything. If you look at it from a different angle, at Tulane there would be a possibility of losing your scholarship (assuming you have stips) whereas UF is going to cost the same regardless. Just some things to think about... good luck with your decision and I'm sure UF would love to have you join Gator nation.
I did have a dream last night that I was in New Orleans and it was disgusting and reeking of crime! Bahhh it was scary. Probably just letting what some people are saying get to me. And my scholarship has a stipulation but its pretty low (like, 25th percentile or above) and I only lose half of it, and the rest can be reinstated. But I get what you're saying. I did have fun at the beach yesterday reminding me I have become somewhat of a Florida girl in my time here :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:25 pm

my prof went there specifically to study crime. He says it is like Disney for him. I wouldn't ignore what people tell you about crime there. Again, I think I've said this before, but why relocate when the school had to give you money to make it just as cheap as UF? If you lose even half the scholly, you have to worry about reinstating it, all the while you'll be taking out more loans than if you had just gone to UF.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:13 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:my prof went there specifically to study crime. He says it is like Disney for him. I wouldn't ignore what people tell you about crime there. Again, I think I've said this before, but why relocate when the school had to give you money to make it just as cheap as UF? If you lose even half the scholly, you have to worry about reinstating it, all the while you'll be taking out more loans than if you had just gone to UF.
Honestly if I'm in the bottom 25% and couldn't move up the next semester, I would probs withdraw anyways. Again, I'm not just looking at Tulane because its the same price. I don't want to live in FL forever and it has better job opps for my hubs :). I might still end up at UF! Its like 50/50 at this point.

ofthehouse

New

Post by ofthehouse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 am

Letter issued this morning !

4/11/2011

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 am

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:30 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:my prof went there specifically to study crime. He says it is like Disney for him. I wouldn't ignore what people tell you about crime there. Again, I think I've said this before, but why relocate when the school had to give you money to make it just as cheap as UF? If you lose even half the scholly, you have to worry about reinstating it, all the while you'll be taking out more loans than if you had just gone to UF.
Honestly if I'm in the bottom 25% and couldn't move up the next semester, I would probs withdraw anyways. Again, I'm not just looking at Tulane because its the same price. I don't want to live in FL forever and it has better job opps for my hubs :). I might still end up at UF! Its like 50/50 at this point.
The bolded is pretty much how I feel with Illinois right now, too. I do think Tulane is the better option for you though, Barbie, so hopefully you enjoy your visit! :D
haha you're back to going back and forth? I've still got Illinois and Stetson in my pocket as schools I could randomly decide to attend last minute (even though they are like, opposites). Did you visit yet?

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:14 am

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
haha you're back to going back and forth? I've still got Illinois and Stetson in my pocket as schools I could randomly decide to attend last minute (even though they are like, opposites). Did you visit yet?
Lol I'm always going back and forth. I'm going to visit Illinois April 19-21 so we will see how it goes. Honestly though, I'm leaning towards Illinois right now because it'll give me the best chance to come back to Texas, and Dean Pless is awesome, he sent me statistics on their TX placement and gave me contact info for some alumni working in Dallas and for a girl who is from Texas at Illinois so I can contact them with questions. If I hate my visit, then I'll be at UF, otherwise I think it's Illinois for me. Just come to Illinois with me, Barbie. :lol:
haha ahh! My husband is begging me to go check out Stetson with him this week. He told me if I go there he will make sure I don't have to take out a single penny in loans and he will pay off my UG loans so I can graduate completely debt free. I really shouldn't have visited Illinois in January! haha I almost DIED! I'm sad we will probably not end up in the same place though :( No running buddy!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:58 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kovolev

New

Post by kovolev » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Its kinda heartbreaking seeing the ASD crew go their separate ways (as seems to be the case now), but I'll just say now, good luck to both of you wherever you wind up!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 pm

I can't find any of my stuff- does anyone have the predicted tuition & fees page from ASD? I can't find the predicted 11-12 rates on the website either.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:25 pm

COA FL resident:
tuition/fees: 18650
Books: 1070
Housing/Food 10240
Transportation: 530
Personal/INsurance: 2570
Computer/cell phone: 1330
Total COA: 34390

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:28 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:COA FL resident:
tuition/fees: 18650
Books: 1070
Housing/Food 10240
Transportation: 530
Personal/INsurance: 2570
Computer/cell phone: 1330
Total COA: 34390
Ugh! 18,650. I wish we would get the 16,000ish tuition! That would make my decision so much easier!

This is what I estimate I would take out in loans for the entire next 3 years per school, including COL:
Stetson- 20,000
Illinois- 95,000
UF- 80,000
Tulane- 91,000

sketchyyyy

Aro5389

New

Post by Aro5389 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Letter sent today

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:41 pm

to Barbie: CLEARLY, UF is your best choice. Unless you want to go to a ttt like stetson. :twisted:

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:47 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:to Barbie: CLEARLY, UF is your best choice. Unless you want to go to a ttt like stetson. :twisted:
Love that you are saying TTT now lol.

Talked to some fairly prestigious positions in the public sector (administrative judges and head of DV SAO) today who reaffirmed my decision. The regard UF is held in, at least in south Florida, is ridiculous. I've yet to encounter anyone, young or old, who isn't adamant about UF's reputation and the quality of students the school produces. I also get the feeling not one of them gave half a shit about the rankings.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:10 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:to Barbie: CLEARLY, UF is your best choice. Unless you want to go to a ttt like stetson. :twisted:
Love that you are saying TTT now lol.

Talked to some fairly prestigious positions in the public sector (administrative judges and head of DV SAO) today who reaffirmed my decision. The regard UF is held in, at least in south Florida, is ridiculous. I've yet to encounter anyone, young or old, who isn't adamant about UF's reputation and the quality of students the school produces. I also get the feeling not one of them gave half a shit about the rankings.
lol. yeah but stetttson is only ttt outside of Tampa. Inside of Tampa even the top firms go there first. Unfortunately, my husband is officially DYING to get me to stay here (says he thinks Tampa/St.Pete are his fav places ever to live and he wants to stay her foreeverrrrrr ughhh) hahaa

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:24 pm

well if he wants to stay in Florida foreverrrrrr, then you know where to go ;)

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:26 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:well if he wants to stay in Florida foreverrrrrr, then you know where to go ;)
lol not Florida- Tampa! And I agree a little, if I had to stay in Florida it would be the Tampa/St.Pete area over a lot (I hate Orlando, Jax, Miami). If I'm going to go to law school to end up in Tampa, I might as well go for free to Stetson. I don't want to pay 80k to gun for the exact same jobs with only a smidgen more of leverage (seriously, the Tampa NLJ firm I worked for VERY much favored Stetson grads over UF grads and so did the firm I worked at prior to that one)

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Didn't he just tell you he wanted to go to NO lmao?

Barbie, go to UF. There is a reason you submitted your deposit as quickly as you did after visiting. It gives you the best opportunity at work anywhere in FL outside the T14, and if you want to leave after 5 years or whatever you can after you've established yourself as an attorney.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”