U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Gold

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 am

pinkcamellia wrote:
Stonewall wrote: ease of in-state tuition most get for 2/3L makes it kinda attractive on the financial front against Emory and GSU
Being from GA, I haven't had to consider getting in-state for 2L/3L, but if it is easy, that could change things. Though in-state for GSU is already ridiculously low at 11K. Emory... very expensive. Probably not worth it ITE. So Sandro, I'd say take your chances with UGA if you feel confident.
I'm from Georgia originally and eventually want to go back, but I've heard nothing but bad things about GSU. UGA is pretty awesome, but most of my family went/goes to Emory. A few family members of mine that work in Atlanta have told me they favor Emory grads, then UGA, then finally GA State to essentially fill in the (non-existent ITE) holes. Thats just one example but its all I've heard. I'm still putting UF>FSU>>>> GA State even for going back to Atlanta one day. I don't get in-state in GA anyways anymore, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone does after the first year.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 am

Barbie wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
Stonewall wrote: ease of in-state tuition most get for 2/3L makes it kinda attractive on the financial front against Emory and GSU
Being from GA, I haven't had to consider getting in-state for 2L/3L, but if it is easy, that could change things. Though in-state for GSU is already ridiculously low at 11K. Emory... very expensive. Probably not worth it ITE. So Sandro, I'd say take your chances with UGA if you feel confident.
I'm from Georgia originally and eventually want to go back, but I've heard nothing but bad things about GSU. UGA is pretty awesome, but most of my family went/goes to Emory. A few family members of mine that work in Atlanta have told me they favor Emory grads, then UGA, then finally GA State to essentially fill in the (non-existent ITE) holes. Thats just one example but its all I've heard. I'm still putting UF>FSU>>>> GA State even for going back to Atlanta one day. I don't get in-state in GA anyways anymore, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone does after the first year.
yeh it's something like 90% do after 1L

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 am

Barbie wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
My dad has hired Emory, UGA, and GSU grads, and though he favors them in that order, he hasn't found anything to complain about with GSU grads. I know that UGA is a solid school, but if Sandro wants biglaw, I wouldn't go. That's all I was saying :) I know Emory will always take the cake.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:29 am

I've heard GSU is a fine school - very good quality legal education. One of my family friends who works in the ATL area court system said some of the best lawyers she knows are GSU fwiw. Yes, the campus isnt good, yes, you are fighting and uphill battle against Emory/UGA + the entire T17 for ATL. The school does have value because it is ridic cheap for instate and if you do the half/full tuition work study jobs 2 and 3L you are almost going for peanuts+COL. It obvious isnt a destination for biglaw hopefuls but if you can get out with very little debt you could be a lot worse off.

I'd be interested to see where the school stands in 10 years time.

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:27 am

Barbie wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:Well, I didn't get the vibe that they really negotiated a lot or that there was a large amount of money to be had. She did say that the committee that makes need-based decisions hasn't met yet so not to expect that for a couple more weeks (fill out the form and send it in if you haven't). For what it's worth, she said that she would consider UF's peer schools to be FSU, Georgia, and American so if you had a scholarship offer from one of those schools, you could definitely try and leverage it. With that said, I don't see how it could hurt to try... you've already been accepted. I would probably e-mail Adorno rather than call anyone. She seemed on top of things when I was there.
Thanks! I've got an offer from FSU that I wouldn't even expect them to match, but anything would be wonderful. I'll shoot her an email and ask her about a list of other scholarships, etc. I haven't filled out that form. Was it in the acceptance package? I wonder if February 25th is too late to turn it in, then I could just in person. Hmm..
Well, I personally wouldn't wait..although she did say that they are waiting for more need-based applications before making those evaluations so they definitely haven't started yet. The paper was in the acceptance package but there might be a Feb 15th deadline if you were accepted before January (I think... I don't still have the form). I would fill it out asap and send it in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 am

btw.. the girl who took me on my tour was from Kentucky and picked UF over Illinois.. if you want her e-mail address let me know

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 am

My brother in Tally got his letter already...and IN! Go him. Now give me mine. haha :D

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:35 am

alicrimson wrote:My brother in Tally got his letter already...and IN! Go him. Now give me mine. haha :D
Congrats to your brother and good luck to you! Was he part of the last letter issued batch on Tuesday?

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:54 am

Since it keeps being mentioned, how difficult is it to get in-state for 2L and 3L?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:23 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
alicrimson wrote:My brother in Tally got his letter already...and IN! Go him. Now give me mine. haha :D
Congrats to your brother and good luck to you! Was he part of the last letter issued batch on Tuesday?
He sure was. :D

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 pm

alicrimson wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
You just made my day! :mrgreen:

valentina5

New

Post by valentina5 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:34 pm

alicrimson wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
YAY!! Congrats to those w/letter mailed status! I'm still on hold but at least things are moving along!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm

valentina5 wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
YAY!! Congrats to those w/letter mailed status! I'm still on hold but at least things are moving along!
Yeah, I'm hold too. My transcript update was processed today though so hopefully the GPA increase may get some action going.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:22 pm

hurricane10 wrote:btw.. the girl who took me on my tour was from Kentucky and picked UF over Illinois.. if you want her e-mail address let me know

Ooo! Yeah if you could that would be great! And you rock for mentioning that application-- I take out the acceptance letter and throw the rest in a file for later haha.

toulon99

New

Post by toulon99 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:53 pm

acceptance letter arrived: IN. Postmarked on the 28th. Congrats those in this round!

plt06

New

Post by plt06 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:04 pm

In. Home state trifecta of acceptances complete.

angua

Bronze

Post by angua » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:45 pm

So, if the status checker says Decision Letter in Transit, what does that mean?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:27 pm

Accepted!!!!!!!!! Got my package today in TX!!! SOOOO excited!!! My grandpa graduated from UF Law so I'm very excited to possibly follow in his footsteps! I will definitely be at ASW in February!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Accepted!!!!!!!!! Got my package today in TX!!! SOOOO excited!!! My grandpa graduated from UF Law so I'm very excited to possibly follow in his footsteps! I will definitely be at ASW in February!
YAYYYY!!!! UF ASW meetup FTW <3 Actually I think its ASD... but whatever

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:37 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Accepted!!!!!!!!! Got my package today in TX!!! SOOOO excited!!! My grandpa graduated from UF Law so I'm very excited to possibly follow in his footsteps! I will definitely be at ASW in February!
Well I think our unofficial TLS boozing will turn it from an ASD to an ASW :wink:

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Well I think our unofficial TLS boozing will turn it from an ASD to an ASW :wink:
zinggg. I'm staying with my homegirl from HS whos a grad student there, and she is always down for a party. I'm excited.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:54 pm

Just got the packet. IN. Let the boozing commence

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:58 pm

Stonewall wrote:Just got the packet. IN. Let the boozing commence
+1

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Stonewall wrote:Just got the packet. IN. Let the boozing commence
yay!!!!!! I hope this boosted your spirits after the SMU BS like it did to me!

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Received my letter today too!! IN! :) Can't wait to drink up with everyone!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”