U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Gold

U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:08 pm

UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA APPLICANTS :) C/O 2014
Last edited by Barbie on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyutah

Gold

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by johnnyutah » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:23 pm

What is your diversity statement about?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:25 pm

:)
Last edited by Barbie on Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:39 pm

I know there are more UF applicants out there :)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:48 pm

Maybe not on TLS. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poo

New

Post by poo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Barbie wrote:I know there are more UF applicants out there :)

Hey I'll be applying to UF. Do you wanna trade personal statements?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 pm

bk187 wrote:Maybe not on TLS. :P
It's the "TLS" of Florida ;)

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:51 pm

poo wrote:
Barbie wrote:I know there are more UF applicants out there :)

Hey I'll be applying to UF. Do you wanna trade personal statements?
Sure! Just PM it to me. I'll send you mine. It's finished so don't worry about edits, but I would like some advice as to whether submit it to UF, or make it a diversity statement and make a different PS for them

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm applying to UF. I kinda want to stay in Texas (was born in FL though), but my grandpa went to UF Law and I have some relatives in Gainesville so I have a lot of people trying to convince me to go to UF if I get accepted lol

Good luck to everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:07 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I'm applying to UF. I kinda want to stay in Texas (was born in FL though), but my grandpa went to UF Law and I have some relatives in Gainesville so I have a lot of people trying to convince me to go to UF if I get accepted lol

Good luck to everyone!
Did you do a regular PS and a DS? Did your PS focus on specifically what they ask? This is what I am struggling with.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I'm applying to UF. I kinda want to stay in Texas (was born in FL though), but my grandpa went to UF Law and I have some relatives in Gainesville so I have a lot of people trying to convince me to go to UF if I get accepted lol

Good luck to everyone!
Did you do a regular PS and a DS? Did your PS focus on specifically what they ask? This is what I am struggling with.

I'm most likely just doing my 2 page PS that I'm sending everywhere else, but it's not specifically about anything they ask.

But for you, I would suggest just doing the PS about your battle with cancer because it gives you more space to write about it where as you would have to limit it to one page if you used it as your DS.
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:29 pm

I finally just called Admissions and spoke with an advisor. At first, when I told her my PS was ab cancer, she said to use it as a DS. Then when I told her specifically what my PS was about, she said to definitly include it as the general admissions statement. She said don't even worry about the DS, or just use it to expand on how this specifically makes me different than everyone else. So I guess if it is really important to you or who you are-- put it in the PS!!!

Anyone want to compare numbers/ chances?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:33 pm

I'll be applying and hoping to get in... there's a lot of things I'm not yet ready to leave behind so UF law is high on my list...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Barbie wrote:I finally just called Admissions and spoke with an advisor. At first, when I told her my PS was ab cancer, she said to use it as a DS. Then when I told her specifically what my PS was about, she said to definitly include it as the general admissions statement. She said don't even worry about the DS, or just use it to expand on how this specifically makes me different than everyone else. So I guess if it is really important to you or who you are-- put it in the PS!!!

Anyone want to compare numbers/ chances?
Thanks for letting us know what she said.

I'll share my numbers via PM if anyone is curious, so just PM me and ask.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:38 pm

According to LSN, I'm borderline WL candidate. So applying early is very important for me. I'm hoping to have my app in once my transcripts are updated (hopefully within 3 weeks or so!)

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Yeah, I'm applying early as well. I'll be applying the first week they accept apps.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:53 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Yeah, I'm applying early as well. I'll be applying the first week they accept apps.
I can't!! :(
Damn transcripts are taking forever to update. Thats what I get for going to 2 Universities, and one makes you request it in person (I don't live there anymore!!)

When do they start accepting? Sept 1?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Yeah, I'm applying early as well. I'll be applying the first week they accept apps.
Damn transcripts are taking forever to update. Thats what I get for going to 2 Universities, and one makes you request it in person (I don't live there anymore!!)

September 7th is when they start accepting. I'm just waiting for my 3rd LOR to be processed and then I need to clean up my PS and I'm ready to go.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:58 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:

September 7th is when they start accepting. I'm just waiting for my 3rd LOR to be processed and then I need to clean up my PS and I'm ready to go.
Am I wrong-- I thought UF recommended only 2 LORs, while accepting 4. I've heard it's best to be minimal. My PS is done, my app is complete, all addendums uploaded. I hate transcripts :evil:

poo

New

Post by poo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Am I wrong-- I thought UF recommended only 2 LORs, while accepting 4. I've heard it's best to be minimal. My PS is done, my app is complete, all addendums uploaded. I hate transcripts :evil:
I think the website encourages people to submit as many as they have (up to 4)... With that said I have 2 but I have no work experience and am in UG.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:02 pm

poo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
I think the website encourages people to submit as many as they have (up to 4)... With that said I have 2 but I have no work experience and am in UG.[/quote]

I have 3 (2 UG profs and a lawyer from the firm I worked at) and I was only going to send 2 because I have been told that less is better. I was going to just use 1 UG prof and the work one. :\ Idk....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

poo

New

Post by poo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Barbie wrote:
poo wrote:
Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
I think the website encourages people to submit as many as they have (up to 4)... With that said I have 2 but I have no work experience and am in UG.
I have 3 (2 UG profs and a lawyer from the firm I worked at) and I was only going to send 2 because I have been told that less is better. I was going to just use 1 UG prof and the work one. :\ Idk....[/quote]

Well I could've had 4, but I knew I could get 2 really good ones. I would submit as many as you think are really good. For me, I rather have 2 really good ones than 2 really good ones + 2 mediocre ones.

Do you think all 3 of your letters are awesome? Also, I think if you are still in UG, you def want a minimum of 2 academic letters.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:12 pm

poo wrote:

Well I could've had 4, but I knew I could get 2 really good ones. I would submit as many as you think are really good. For me, I rather have 2 really good ones than 2 really good ones + 2 mediocre ones.

Do you think all 3 of your letters are awesome? Also, I think if you are still in UG, you def want a minimum of 2 academic letters.

2 of mine are academic, but I figured that they would be verrrry similar. Theyre both writing profs that I have good relations with, but I figure they have the same (good) things to say. The only one I've gotten to read is the one from my work (I'm the legal assistant... I'm the one who puts together the mail) and it was really good.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Barbie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:

Eh, I'm just going to do 3 LORs because one is from a UG professor and 2 are from my masters professors so they all have something different to say about me. I know my two LORs from my MA professors are awesome though and then my UG one is probably above average or a little better.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:13 pm

How different from a personal statement is the "statement of admission"? Can I just use my PS...?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”