U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
poo

New

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by poo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Barbie wrote:
poo wrote:

Well I could've had 4, but I knew I could get 2 really good ones. I would submit as many as you think are really good. For me, I rather have 2 really good ones than 2 really good ones + 2 mediocre ones.

Do you think all 3 of your letters are awesome? Also, I think if you are still in UG, you def want a minimum of 2 academic letters.

2 of mine are academic, but I figured that they would be verrrry similar. Theyre both writing profs that I have good relations with, but I figure they have the same (good) things to say. The only one I've gotten to read is the one from my work (I'm the legal assistant... I'm the one who puts together the mail) and it was really good.
If I were you, I would use all 3.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Ildeuce wrote:How different from a personal statement is the "statement of admission"? Can I just use my PS...?

Same thing. See what I wrote above after I called them-- they have the instructions on LSAC.org when you look at app guidelines, so I called because my PS has DS elements.

Lafakad

New

Post by Lafakad » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:04 pm

I'll be applying to UF after I get my October score, hopefully I do well!

LSAC GPA = 3.67
Major = Chemical Engineering
Undergrad = University of SouTTTh Florida

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Lafakad wrote:I'll be applying to UF after I get my October score, hopefully I do well!

LSAC GPA = 3.67
I go to USF too! I transferred here a year ago because of Moffit!

Lafakad

New

Post by Lafakad » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Barbie wrote:
Lafakad wrote:I'll be applying to UF after I get my October score, hopefully I do well!

LSAC GPA = 3.67
haha, cool to see another USFer.

My next 7 weeks are going to be spent in the library!

I think after I take the LSAT I'm going to focus on my PS and applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Lafakad wrote:
Barbie wrote:

LSAC GPA = 3.67
haha, cool to see another USFer.

My next 7 weeks are going to be spent in the library!

I think after I take the LSAT I'm going to focus on my PS and applications.

I PMed you!!!
Also, beware!! Apparently our school's average LSAT score is a 145 or something crazy. It's on Summary Report. YUCK! And 50% of people got 21percentile or LESS!!

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 pm

I am loving the lack of response of this thread...I will be applying early sept. Good luck to all..

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 pm

dukivich10 wrote:I am loving the lack of response of this thread...I will be applying early sept. Good luck to all..
haha.. less competition?

want to share your numbers?

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:13 pm

They are in my profile...I don't think my chances are great..my # are above the 25%, good work ex., good letters...we will see what happens

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 pm

dukivich10 wrote:They are in my profile...I don't think my chances are great..my # are above the 25%, good work ex., good letters...we will see what happens
Well your GPA is strong! I think it's above their median??
Good LucK! I'm excited to see the cycle!

dukivich10

Bronze

Post by dukivich10 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Ohh ya I'm pumped! I've been waiting for this day for quite some time. Good luck to you too.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:07 pm

for your info-

--LinkRemoved--

3 hour long UF law application seminar/tour/meet and greet on September 18th. 125 spots available.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Ildeuce wrote:for your info-

--LinkRemoved--

3 hour long UF law application seminar/tour/meet and greet on September 18th. 125 spots available.
Nice! I registered but I am not 100% I can attend yet. I also might already have my application in by then... you doing it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Barbie wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Nice! I registered but I am not 100% I can attend yet. I also might already have my application in by then... you doing it?
Yep, registered and 90% sure I'll be going. The other 10% is if I decide to road trip to Tennessee for the game, which I doubt I will since I'm already committed to road tripping for Bama, Georgia, Vandy and FSU. Good call on registering though, the website was sent out over a pre-law listserv and the seats will probably fill up really quickly. I might have my app. in by then too... but I think I'm going to hold off on sending it so I can include the seminar in my "why UF" essay. There'd only be a 10 day difference anyway...

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Barbie wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Yep, registered and 90% sure I'll be going. The other 10% is if I decide to road trip to Tennessee for the game, which I doubt I will since I'm already committed to road tripping for Bama, Georgia, Vandy and FSU. Good call on registering though, the website was sent out over a pre-law listserv and the seats will probably fill up really quickly. I might have my app. in by then too... but I think I'm going to hold off on sending it so I can include the seminar in my "why UF" essay. There'd only be a 10 day difference anyway...
Very true! What is the pre-law listserve? Also, I didn't know there was a "Why UF" essay. :shock:

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Barbie wrote:
Ildeuce wrote:
Barbie wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Very true! What is the pre-law listserve? Also, I didn't know there was a "Why UF" essay. :shock:
UF has a pre-law listserv for undergrads that gives them updates etc. on pre-law events, seminars n what not. There's no required "why UF" essay, but I'll be writing one so I don't get YPed... I'm above both 75s but UF is still one of my top choices.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Ooh nice. I'm below 25% for their GPA (3.3ish, but I have a really good GPA addendum.. if it ends up helping me at all) and at the 75th percentile for LSAT.. so softs I feel are going to play a big role in my being admitted vs. WL. I think I'm sadly looking at a WL though, but crossing my fingers for otherwise!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Hey guys,

I am a 2L here at UF and may be able to answer any questions you have. I am going to be incredibly busy with classes starting and oci but I'll try to check back here with some sort of regularity. Good luck with applications!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Barbie wrote:Ooh nice. I'm below 25% for their GPA (3.3ish, but I have a really good GPA addendum.. if it ends up helping me at all) and at the 75th percentile for LSAT.. so softs I feel are going to play a big role in my being admitted vs. WL. I think I'm sadly looking at a WL though, but crossing my fingers for otherwise!
I have several friends who are 1L and 2L right now that got in with sub-par GPAs and a 161-164 LSAT... I think you'll be in just fine, from what I've seen it looks like UF is trying more to bring up the LSAT median much more than GPA.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Ildeuce wrote:
Barbie wrote:Ooh nice. I'm below 25% for their GPA (3.3ish, but I have a really good GPA addendum.. if it ends up helping me at all) and at the 75th percentile for LSAT.. so softs I feel are going to play a big role in my being admitted vs. WL. I think I'm sadly looking at a WL though, but crossing my fingers for otherwise!
I have several friends who are 1L and 2L right now that got in with sub-par GPAs and a 161-164 LSAT... I think you'll be in just fine, from what I've seen it looks like UF is trying more to bring up the LSAT median much more than GPA.
Yeah, plus you actually have a really legit addendum.

poo

New

Post by poo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:07 pm

mistergoft wrote:Hey guys,

I am a 2L here at UF and may be able to answer any questions you have. I am going to be incredibly busy with classes starting and oci but I'll try to check back here with some sort of regularity. Good luck with applications!

Hey thanks for taking questions.

I was just wondering what other schools you were considering (FSU?) and why you decided on UF. Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:17 pm

poo wrote:

I was just wondering what other schools you were considering (FSU?) and why you decided on UF. Thanks!
To be honest, I was not looking at FSU. I chose UF because it is the best law school in the state, it is cheap (well, maybe was cheap, as tuition is rising every year), has the best big law placement (though I wouldn't recommend going to UF if you are determined to get big law), has a great alumni network, etc. I also learned recently that we have the most well respected law review in the state, by a pretty large margin.

poo

New

Post by poo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:37 pm

mistergoft wrote:
poo wrote:

To be honest, I was not looking at FSU. I chose UF because it is the best law school in the state, it is cheap (well, maybe was cheap, as tuition is rising every year), has the best big law placement (though I wouldn't recommend going to UF if you are determined to get big law), has a great alumni network, etc. I also learned recently that we have the most well respected law review in the state, by a pretty large margin.
Thanks for the response! I was also wondering, how is the environment at the law school? I have heard it's pretty competitive from a few friends who go there. Do you find this to be the case? Also, while I know UF (and Florida really) is not not known for big law, what types of jobs are the top 1/3 @ UF looking at in this economy?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm

poo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
poo wrote:

Thanks for the response! I was also wondering, how is the environment at the law school? I have heard it's pretty competitive from a few friends who go there. Do you find this to be the case? Also, while I know UF (and Florida really) is not not known for big law, what types of jobs are the top 1/3 @ UF looking at in this economy?
I might not be the most qualified person to give this answer, but I'll try my best. First off, let me say, that in this economy, nothing is guaranteed. I don't care if you're at the top of your class with law review, the job you get is going to be a result of what you put into it. Obviously, the better you do, the better the opportunities that will be open to you. I know, for instance, the class of 2011 already has 2 students with COA clerkships and may others with amazing opportunities, such as working in for the federal government in DC, working in big firms, et cetera. That being said, if you don't do well enough to have these sort of opportunities, there are still plenty of jobs you can pursue. Obviously, in this economy, you're going to have to be persistent and you're going to get a ton of rejections. You're also going to have to have realistic expectations: King & Spalding isn't going to hire someone who is just barely in the top 1/3. However, what you WOULD have at UF is access to a very large network of attorneys all over Florida who, typically speaking, are looking to hire UF grads. In addition, there are government jobs, like State's Attorney's Offices, Public Defenders, etc that often hire new grads. I can't tell you exactly what jobs people in that position typically get, but there are plenty of opportunities out there if you do your homework and cast a wide net.

To reiterate, nothing is guaranteed and everyone is hustling ITE to get a job. But if you work hard, network EARLY, make contacts, cast a wide net, etc, you can get a decent job out of UF even if you're top 1/3 and not top 10%.

I don't really know if that answers your question.

poo

New

Post by poo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:17 pm

mistergoft wrote:I don't really know if that answers your question.
It does thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”