U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
haoledugan

Bronze

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by haoledugan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 pm

HO-LY Crap! 5+ pages on this thread today! I feel like we have all accomplished something wonderful (on a scale of 1-10, how sad is that???)!

gmen42

Bronze

Post by gmen42 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:21 pm

haoledugan wrote:HO-LY Crap! 5+ pages on this thread today! I feel like we have all accomplished something wonderful (on a scale of 1-10, how sad is that???)!
I only expect more tomorrow with potentially more decisions.

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Bronze

Post by FortuneFavorsTheBold » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 pm

honestly i would like to know how thye decide whos W/L....cause some of the numbers that they look at and say reject to seems weird...at the same time there is A LOT to factor in within the whole application such as personal statements, work ethic, choice of courses/workload, but that we'll never know. And yea, 2morrow will be worse for sure in regards to the amount of pages on this thread

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:59 am

Question for those really familiar of Gainesville. I'm still locked in a debate over whether I'm going to move my mother and grandmother with me or leave them in South Fla for the time being. In terms of some of the townhome/condo communities, does anyone no anything about OakGate? It says it is on NW 6 North of NW 16 Av. I don't know a whole lot about the Gainesville area, so I'm not sure what this part is like, and the results from city-data wern't all that helpful.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 am

Barbie wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:This applies to a few people in this thread, but FSU allows for multiple seat deposits even after accepting your scholarship. Hope that makes it easier for some of you; also, I plan on paying both seat deposits, if UF gives me any shit, that makes my mind up lol
Can someone else who has paid theirs chime in? I don't have the paperwork I don't think.
Hmm...Idk. I paid my FSU seat deposit yesterday and then called to ask specifically on what happens should I get accepted to a school where I'm currently pending and I was told that as long as I withdrew from FSU before I paid my other deposit, should that happen, it would not be reported to the bar. I would call/do some serious homework if you're considering just paying two seat deposits to extend your decision time because it is a frowned upon practice and could hurt you down the road.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:57 am

Question for those really familiar of Gainesville. I'm still locked in a debate over whether I'm going to move my mother and grandmother with me or leave them in South Fla for the time being. In terms of some of the townhome/condo communities, does anyone no anything about OakGate? It says it is on NW 6 North of NW 16 Av. I don't know a whole lot about the Gainesville area, so I'm not sure what this part is like, and the results from city-data wern't all that helpful.
I googled it, and from what I can tell, that's the area where you have all the houses behind the stadium, although the condo complex seems to be a bit further north. Not a bad area to live at all. The areas I would recommend staying away from are houses located in the downtown area (I know a girl that got the hood of her car ripped off to get at her iPod. She was dumb though for leaving it there). I would also avoid anything too far east. East of Waldo is a scary area.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:02 am

gmen42 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:sorry lol, did not mean it like that...its just that i'd like to compare options first, beofre settling for one school, so i would just like to know if i got into UF whether i'd place two seat deposits down or what (if thats possible).....but yea, after FSU offered a full scholy AND um dropped in the rnakings, i dropped UM for sure
FSU gave you a full ride and you'd still pay sticker at UF? Holy crap
Full ride might make me start chopping no matter how much I love my gators...
+1. I did it with UG. I loved the gators my whole life and did some time there for UG but when mama called with an offer, I had to answer and transfer.haha. everyone has their price...only I wasn't chopping, it was roooooooolllll tide!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:03 am

alicrimson wrote:
Barbie wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:This applies to a few people in this thread, but FSU allows for multiple seat deposits even after accepting your scholarship. Hope that makes it easier for some of you; also, I plan on paying both seat deposits, if UF gives me any shit, that makes my mind up lol
Can someone else who has paid theirs chime in? I don't have the paperwork I don't think.
Hmm...Idk. I paid my FSU seat deposit yesterday and then called to ask specifically on what happens should I get accepted to a school where I'm currently pending and I was told that as long as I withdrew from FSU before I paid my other deposit, should that happen, it would not be reported to the bar. I would call/do some serious homework if you're considering just paying two seat deposits to extend your decision time because it is a frowned upon practice and could hurt you down the road.
lol reported to the bar??? That's absurd. I think they are just trying to scare you, sounds like BS. Even if it was reported to the bar, big whoop, nothing is going to happen to you. If the bar cared, then there would be a widespread rule about not double depositing at ABA schools, which I know UIUC doesn't really care if you double deposit as long as you decide on one school by the second seat deposit.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:06 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
Barbie wrote:
lol reported to the bar??? That's absurd. I think they are just trying to scare you, sounds like BS. Even if it was reported to the bar, big whoop, nothing is going to happen to you. If the bar cared, then there would be a widespread rule about not double depositing at ABA schools, which I know UIUC doesn't really care if you double deposit as long as you decide on one school by the second seat deposit.
That's what she said. I would think the bar has more important things to worry about myself but if it has a chance of going bad, I usually try to steer around it. Even if that means paying a seat deposit that isn't due until the 15th when I'm still waiting on schools to give me an answer. Highly risk averse. haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gmen42

Bronze

Post by gmen42 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
I googled it, and from what I can tell, that's the area where you have all the houses behind the stadium, although the condo complex seems to be a bit further north. Not a bad area to live at all. The areas I would recommend staying away from are houses located in the downtown area (I know a girl that got the hood of her car ripped off to get at her iPod. She was dumb though for leaving it there). I would also avoid anything too far east. East of Waldo is a scary area.
+1 not familiar with the area but don't live east of waldo road.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:19 am

alicrimson wrote:
That's what she said. I would think the bar has more important things to worry about myself but if it has a chance of going bad, I usually try to steer around it. Even if that means paying a seat deposit that isn't due until the 15th when I'm still waiting on schools to give me an answer. Highly risk averse. haha.
lol yeah, I just hate when people say "oh no the bar will find out!" just to scare people which happens a lot on TLS. If people with felonies can pass the bar's C&F, then I think people who double deposit will be fine. Plus, I'm sure at least hundreds of people double deposit every cycle and I haven't heard any horror stories yet, not even one about a school revoking an offer. I've only heard horror stories about people who get in ED and don't withdraw everywhere else, which is a totally different topic.

HawksJetsFalcons

New

Post by HawksJetsFalcons » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 am

UF is in my top two. I'll be paying a visit on ASD.

Lili305

New

Post by Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 am

I'm ready to get this letter already! Come oooooon Mr. Postman!! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TMO123

New

Post by TMO123 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:14 am

<<Hmm...Idk. I paid my FSU seat deposit yesterday and then called to ask specifically on what happens should I get accepted to a school where I'm currently pending and I was told that as long as I withdrew from FSU before I paid my other deposit, should that happen, it would not be reported to the bar. I would call/do some serious homework if you're considering just paying two seat deposits to extend your decision time because it is a frowned upon practice and could hurt you down the road.

lol reported to the bar??? That's absurd. I think they are just trying to scare you, sounds like BS. Even if it was reported to the bar, big whoop, nothing is going to happen to you. If the bar cared, then there would be a widespread rule about not double depositing at ABA schools, which I know UIUC doesn't really care if you double deposit as long as you decide on one school by the second seat deposit.>>

Yeah, I really can't imagine they report such things to the bar. I'm sure they try to discourage it, b/c it renders the process of determining who's really attending neutered. However, law schools will tell you to pay seat deposits elsewhere if you need to if you need to ensure a spot. After all, many schools don't make even their initial decisions until after some seat deposit deadlines have passed. Also, Stetson sent out an email recently encouraging applicants to do so:
"If you have to deposit somewhere else to guarantee a spot in school, you may want to go ahead and do it."

prettyinpink02

New

Post by prettyinpink02 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 am

Okkk can we talk about that it just took me 30 minutes to read and catch up on everything that's been going on....

AHHH, I felt so left out!!!!

prettyinpink02

New

Post by prettyinpink02 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 am

Lili305 wrote:I'm ready to get this letter already! Come oooooon Mr. Postman!! :D

Hey, not sure if you remember me, but we met at FSU's ASD!!!!
I really hope you get in!!!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
lol yeah, I just hate when people say "oh no the bar will find out!" just to scare people which happens a lot on TLS. If people with felonies can pass the bar's C&F, then I think people who double deposit will be fine. Plus, I'm sure at least hundreds of people double deposit every cycle and I haven't heard any horror stories yet, not even one about a school revoking an offer. I've only heard horror stories about people who get in ED and don't withdraw everywhere else, which is a totally different topic.
C&F is srs bsns and the bar takes issues like dishonesty, especially RECENT dishonesty, more seriously than other issues. Remember, a lawyer is trusted with a ton of responsibility, often including handling client funds, so crimes of dishonesty are particularly scrutinized.

And remember, even if you DO end up passing C&F, having a law school report you for misconduct will probably make the PROCESS of passing the C&F a real pain. It just makes for unnecessary stress.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lili305

New

Post by Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:02 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
Lili305 wrote:I'm ready to get this letter already! Come oooooon Mr. Postman!! :D

Heyyyy!! Yes, I remember! Thank you so much! :D
Have you made a decision??

prettyinpink02

New

Post by prettyinpink02 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Lili305 wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:

Ya, I'm going to UF!!!

Lili305

New

Post by Lili305 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:13 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
Lili305 wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:

Ya, I'm going to UF!!!
Great! Hopefully I will see you there in the fall.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:19 pm

mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
C&F is srs bsns and the bar takes issues like dishonesty, especially RECENT dishonesty, more seriously than other issues. Remember, a lawyer is trusted with a ton of responsibility, often including handling client funds, so crimes of dishonesty are particularly scrutinized.

And remember, even if you DO end up passing C&F, having a law school report you for misconduct will probably make the PROCESS of passing the C&F a real pain. It just makes for unnecessary stress.
eh, I still think it's being blown out of proportion. UF has specific language in their seat deposit agreement that I can see them having a case for saying the student was dishonest if they double deposit, which is why I don't think people should double deposit at UF + another school. I don't think schools without that specific language really have room to bitch about double deposits since their enrollment form doesn't say they have to withdraw from other acceptances. I think a school would have to be extremely bitter to take the time to report it to the bar and even then I don't think the bar will care too much. If a school gets pissed, they should just revoke the acceptance; the end.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:28 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:eh, I still think it's being blown out of proportion. UF has specific language in their seat deposit agreement that I can see them having a case for saying the student was dishonest if they double deposit, which is why I don't think people should double deposit at UF + another school. I don't think schools without that specific language really have room to bitch about double deposits since their enrollment form doesn't say they have to withdraw from other acceptances. I think a school would have to be extremely bitter to take the time to report it to the bar and even then I don't think the bar will care too much. If a school gets pissed, they should just revoke the acceptance; the end.
While I do agree that a school prohibiting a double deposit for the initial deposit is a little ridiculous (especially considering that if you get off the WL at another school you might go back to both schools and ask for more money, seeing which has the better offer, and that the time pressure to make a decision won't allow enough time for some folks to completely evaluate their choices), you are representing to UF that you have withdrawn from the other school, and having not done so is a breach of that contract (i.e. in consideration for holding your spot you are paying them money + representing you are withdrawing from the other schools).

While I don't know what UF's policy is on reporting this (I for one hope they do not), it is definitely a risk that could come back to give you problems down the road.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:31 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
alicrimson wrote:

eh, I still think it's being blown out of proportion. UF has specific language in their seat deposit agreement that I can see them having a case for saying the student was dishonest if they double deposit, which is why I don't think people should double deposit at UF + another school. I don't think schools without that specific language really have room to bitch about double deposits since their enrollment form doesn't say they have to withdraw from other acceptances. I think a school would have to be extremely bitter to take the time to report it to the bar and even then I don't think the bar will care too much. If a school gets pissed, they should just revoke the acceptance; the end.
Yeah, unless it's noted on the form, you can probably double deposit. So people, just don't double deposit at UF + another school for sure (actually a main reason I withdrew from UF)!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:37 pm

mistergoft wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:eh, I still think it's being blown out of proportion. UF has specific language in their seat deposit agreement that I can see them having a case for saying the student was dishonest if they double deposit, which is why I don't think people should double deposit at UF + another school. I don't think schools without that specific language really have room to bitch about double deposits since their enrollment form doesn't say they have to withdraw from other acceptances. I think a school would have to be extremely bitter to take the time to report it to the bar and even then I don't think the bar will care too much. If a school gets pissed, they should just revoke the acceptance; the end.
While I do agree that a school prohibiting a double deposit for the initial deposit is a little ridiculous (especially considering that if you get off the WL at another school you might go back to both schools and ask for more money, seeing which has the better offer, and that the time pressure to make a decision won't allow enough time for some folks to completely evaluate their choices), you are representing to UF that you have withdrawn from the other school, and having not done so is a breach of that contract (i.e. in consideration for holding your spot you are paying them money + representing you are withdrawing from the other schools).

While I don't know what UF's policy is on reporting this (I for one hope they do not), it is definitely a risk that could come back to give you problems down the road.
Well with UF's language, you dont have to withdraw from waitlists or pending applications, only current acceptances.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Well with UF's language, you dont have to withdraw from waitlists or pending applications, only current acceptances.
Yeah, but, say you have accepts to FSU/UF and get into GW off of the WL - now, maybe you go back and say "hey UF, hey FSU, got any more $$ for me?" It was just illustrating why I think a binding first deposit is absurd.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”