U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Re: U. of Florida 2010-2011 Applicants!!

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:41 am

Also, with regard to laptops, UF is selling MS office professional 2010 and the Windows 7 OS CD's for 15 bucks. Just thought I should mention it

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Also, with regard to laptops, UF is selling MS office professional 2010 and the Windows 7 OS CD's for 15 bucks. Just thought I should mention it
Really? Idk if I'm gonna use Windows or OSX.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:Also, with regard to laptops, UF is selling MS office professional 2010 and the Windows 7 OS CD's for 15 bucks. Just thought I should mention it
They have mac versions as well if you run parallels or is it bootcamp? (I'm not familiar with Macs)

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
They have mac versions as well if you run parallels or is it bootcamp? (I'm not familiar with Macs)
Do they have the mac office for $15, too? Where do you buy these cds?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
Do they have the mac office for $15, too? Where do you buy these cds?
yep. It's through the UF computing people. I THINK you can get it in the bookstore. If not, then at the help desk in the Hub.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:21 am

yep. It's through the UF computing people. I THINK you can get it in the bookstore. If not, then at the help desk in the Hub.
uhh where is this hub you speak of? lol Is it always $15 or is this some special thing right now?

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
uhh where is this hub you speak of? lol Is it always $15 or is this some special thing right now?
Hub is in the dead center of campus by Turlington, they don't sell anything but the computing help desk is there for laptop repairs etc. and they put Norton Antivirus on your comp for free if you want it

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:24 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
They had it last year for the spring semester, and I called asking if they were continuing it into the fall and they said yes. :) I will show you where the hub is if you want. It's on Stadium down the road a bit from Ben Hill Griffin.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:29 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
They had it last year for the spring semester, and I called asking if they were continuing it into the fall and they said yes. :) I will show you where the hub is if you want. It's on Stadium down the road a bit from Ben Hill Griffin.
Oh ok awesome! Yes, please take me on a field trip there. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:50 am

I think all Cable is overpriced, thanks to the virtual monopolies each sets up in a region.

I remember when I got my first digital cable box in Montgomery. Digital Cable with just about every channel and tier imaginable was $44.95 a month. That was with Charter, who had to compete with Knology and TimeWarner along with the Dish companies. When I moved to Maryland, to get the same cable package with Comcast was $69.00, and they were working hard to keep FIOS out of the area for as long as they could. I had DSL/Phone through Verizon up there, but when we moved to FL, I thought it would be cheaper to go through one of the bundled packages with one company. Unfortunately, Uverse wasn't available in PSL and once again Comcast had a virtual monopoly on the area. We got the same Digital Cable package (though it came with less channels than in Montgomery), Unlimited Phone, and Top Internet, for $150, that quickly went up to $178 after three months, and then $203 for the next year (And this doesn't include any premiums like HBO or Showtime).

I was hoping to save money when we moved to Gainesville. Cox's website back in May/Early June had a deal on their site of the best cable, unlimited phone, internet for $99 for 12 months that went to $176 after. When we were planning the move last week, I visited the website and noticed all of the "deals" had risen. To give me the same package that I had with Comcast, they were quoting me at $156 for the first three months and $196 thereafter. Interesting, because there's a $40 installation fee so that is really only a deal for two months then.

If it wasn't for my mom and grandma living with me, I'd bypass all cable, but they like watching GSN and the upper tier music channels. They're also anti-cell phone so my attempts to try to get them a cell and add them to my plan with Verizon didn't go anywhere. And operating NetFlix from the PS3 appears to be too complicated for them (my mom still hasn't figured out how to properly swipe the card for our new complex to open the security gate). Oh well, guess it could be worse.

One thing I will say positive about COX so far is that their customer service has been far, far, superior to Com(munist)Cast.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:25 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:I think all Cable is overpriced, thanks to the virtual monopolies each sets up in a region.

I remember when I got my first digital cable box in Montgomery. Digital Cable with just about every channel and tier imaginable was $44.95 a month. That was with Charter, who had to compete with Knology and TimeWarner along with the Dish companies. When I moved to Maryland, to get the same cable package with Comcast was $69.00, and they were working hard to keep FIOS out of the area for as long as they could. I had DSL/Phone through Verizon up there, but when we moved to FL, I thought it would be cheaper to go through one of the bundled packages with one company. Unfortunately, Uverse wasn't available in PSL and once again Comcast had a virtual monopoly on the area. We got the same Digital Cable package (though it came with less channels than in Montgomery), Unlimited Phone, and Top Internet, for $150, that quickly went up to $178 after three months, and then $203 for the next year (And this doesn't include any premiums like HBO or Showtime).

I was hoping to save money when we moved to Gainesville. Cox's website back in May/Early June had a deal on their site of the best cable, unlimited phone, internet for $99 for 12 months that went to $176 after. When we were planning the move last week, I visited the website and noticed all of the "deals" had risen. To give me the same package that I had with Comcast, they were quoting me at $156 for the first three months and $196 thereafter. Interesting, because there's a $40 installation fee so that is really only a deal for two months then.

If it wasn't for my mom and grandma living with me, I'd bypass all cable, but they like watching GSN and the upper tier music channels. They're also anti-cell phone so my attempts to try to get them a cell and add them to my plan with Verizon didn't go anywhere. And operating NetFlix from the PS3 appears to be too complicated for them (my mom still hasn't figured out how to properly swipe the card for our new complex to open the security gate). Oh well, guess it could be worse.

One thing I will say positive about COX so far is that their customer service has been far, far, superior to Com(munist)Cast.

Aww, the grandpa told his first story :)

FortuneFavorsTheBold

Bronze

Post by FortuneFavorsTheBold » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Just threw this onto the FB page...but for those who arent members, and if you would like a quick glance (scare) at what your professors may be like.... http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/SelectT ... p?sid=6026

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:26 pm

FortuneFavorsTheBold wrote:Just threw this onto the FB page...but for those who arent members, and if you would like a quick glance (scare) at what your professors may be like.... http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/SelectT ... p?sid=6026
Already done. haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Barbie wrote:Aww, the grandpa told his first story :)

Grandpa's got another one. You guys wern't kidding about the parking situation. I had to go down to the Law School today to drop off my photo for my Gator 1 Card (CD file got corrupted). I was in there for five minutes and when I came out, I had a $30 citation on my windshield. Lovely. I don't even think we can get our decals yet and there seems to be absolutely no place to park without it. So I hope I never have to go back until orientation.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:

Grandpa's got another one. You guys wern't kidding about the parking situation. I had to go down to the Law School today to drop off my photo for my Gator 1 Card (CD file got corrupted). I was in there for five minutes and when I came out, I had a $30 citation on my windshield. Lovely. I don't even think we can get our decals yet and there seems to be absolutely no place to park without it. So I hope I never have to go back until orientation.
Don't pay it. Fight it. Also, ask if maybe you can get it validated?

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:05 pm

nvm :)

Classygal87

New

Post by Classygal87 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:53 pm

3 weeks until orientation!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zebes

New

Post by zebes » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Hooked up cable today with Cox in their main street office. Got the 83 channel line up, plus sports pak, HD tv box, and the fastest internet possible (premiere, I think it is) for $85/mo for 12 months. I don't know how long the special runs. Oh, they threw in a free modem, too. We were told you could only get the special by coming into the office. Wasn't available on-line. Only other expense was a $20 activation fee. Will figure out year two later. :) BTW, this was 1/2 price compared to normal, and again ... it's for 12 months.

zebes

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:27 pm

zebes wrote:Hooked up cable today with Cox in their main street office. Got the 83 channel line up, plus sports pak, HD tv box, and the fastest internet possible (premiere, I think it is) for $85/mo for 12 months. I don't know how long the special runs. Oh, they threw in a free modem, too. We were told you could only get the special by coming into the office. Wasn't available on-line. Only other expense was a $20 activation fee. Will figure out year two later. :) BTW, this was 1/2 price compared to normal, and again ... it's for 12 months.

zebes
Ahh! I won't be in Gainesville until next week. I wonder if there is a phone number to this specific location? I looked online and there is only the general phone number :(. I really want to call and ask if this will go on until I arrive!! If anyone is going up there could they ask for me, pretty please? :)

prettyinpink02

New

Post by prettyinpink02 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:59 pm

Random question but does anyone know how to add you ufl.edu email account to your iPhone email?

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

prettyinpink02

New

Post by prettyinpink02 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 pm

AJaKe wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:Random question but does anyone know how to add you ufl.edu email account to your iPhone email?
I do, tagging this to remind myself to answer this in detail later

Edit: --LinkRemoved--

I swear I'm an idiot and get this to work even with this awesome instructions. Ughhh fml!

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:54 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote:

Don't pay it. Fight it. Also, ask if maybe you can get it validated?
You can appeal it online, and if the appeal is upheld you can do a 2nd level where you speak to the head of UF's traffic court in person.

http://parking.ufl.edu/subpages/citationappeals.html

prettyinpink02

New

Post by prettyinpink02 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
AJaKe wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:Random question but does anyone know how to add you ufl.edu email account to your iPhone email?

I swear I'm an idiot and get this to work even with this awesome instructions. Ughhh fml!
Yay!! I finally got it!

bendtheslurry

New

Post by bendtheslurry » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:29 pm

prettyinpink02 wrote:
prettyinpink02 wrote:
AJaKe wrote:

Yay!! I finally got it!
it still wont work for me. it keeps saying that it cant connect to the ssl and the imap server isnt responding, whatever the hell that is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”