IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NickM54

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby NickM54 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Anyone else get the email today basically saying they will get back to you in early May?

TSW

Postby TSW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

NickM54 wrote:Anyone else get the email today basically saying they will get back to you in early May?

Get back to you as in let you know of a final decision?

I called them a few days back and she told me that the admissions committee asks for students' applications based on numbers. So that was why it was taking them so long to get back to me.

NickM54

Postby NickM54 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Thank you for your continued interest in our law school. This email is being sent to give you an update on where we are in our admissions process. We are currently reviewing files for the incoming class and sending decisions as they are made. We plan to have decisions finalized by the first week of May. We realize the admissions cycle can be a very stressful time for all applicants. I remember what it was like to rush to get everything complete as early as possible, and then wait for what seemed like a very long time to receive a decision. We appreciate your patience. In the meantime, please contact our Law School Admissions Office with any questions or concerns.

That is the body of the email they sent me. Just letting people know as I get information.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:51 pm

I got the same email so I withdrew.

NickM54

Postby NickM54 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:56 pm

I totally understand Solar. I am not WD yet, will wait it out. I will admit it is very disappointing that they are taking so long. I kind of took it is a waitlist without calling it that.

solarae

Postby solarae » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:58 pm

yea. it's just too expensive for me and i've decided since then that I don't want to live in Indy. But good luck to you!!

gin

Postby gin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:19 pm

solarae wrote:yea. it's just too expensive for me and i've decided since then that I don't want to live in Indy. But good luck to you!!

+1
I am keeping my name in just to see if I can get accepted though

always206

Postby always206 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:29 pm

WD. Think of it this way, at least they can't reject me at this point! Haha

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 am

NickM54 wrote:
Thank you for your continued interest in our law school. This email is being sent to give you an update on where we are in our admissions process. We are currently reviewing files for the incoming class and sending decisions as they are made. We plan to have decisions finalized by the first week of May. We realize the admissions cycle can be a very stressful time for all applicants. I remember what it was like to rush to get everything complete as early as possible, and then wait for what seemed like a very long time to receive a decision. We appreciate your patience. In the meantime, please contact our Law School Admissions Office with any questions or concerns.

That is the body of the email they sent me. Just letting people know as I get information.

I am mad. I know I have no right to be - but gee whiz - why the heck would they wait until May!? What do they expect you to do, pay a seat deposit elsewhere as a "backup" just in case you are ultimately not accepted at Indy? I mean who do they think they are? This isn't Harvard! This is ridiculous! It makes me so mad to see my future classmates being jerked around like this.

Chants

Postby Chants » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:58 am

I agree with the sentiments above, but I can only assume that Indy must have a good number of offers out to prospective students at this time and/or are satisfied with the state of this year's admissions process thus far (in terms of potential students matriculating) as compared to years past. I can't imagine they are leaving potential candidates in limbo for no reason, especially at the risk of losing worthy applicants. Maybe application #'s are up? Maybe they have received a larger # of seat deposits thus far this year? Maybe the LSAT/GPA #'s of applicants are more competitive this year?

Either way, I know the waiting is terrible so I hope you all hear well before May!

sm2006

Postby sm2006 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:12 am

Chants wrote:I agree with the sentiments above, but I can only assume that Indy must have a good number of offers out to prospective students at this time and/or are satisfied with the state of this year's admissions process thus far (in terms of potential students matriculating) as compared to years past. I can't imagine they are leaving potential candidates in limbo for no reason, especially at the risk of losing worthy applicants. Maybe application #'s are up? Maybe they have received a larger # of seat deposits thus far this year? Maybe the LSAT/GPA #'s of applicants are more competitive this year?

Either way, I know the waiting is terrible so I hope you all hear well before May!

I would tend to agree with this assessment, and think they should formally tell people they are on a waitlist instead of keeping them in limbo. For people waiting, I wouldn't give up because a significant number of seats should open up after the first seat deposit date passes.

angiej

Postby angiej » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:38 am

sm2006 wrote:
Chants wrote:I agree with the sentiments above, but I can only assume that Indy must have a good number of offers out to prospective students at this time and/or are satisfied with the state of this year's admissions process thus far (in terms of potential students matriculating) as compared to years past. I can't imagine they are leaving potential candidates in limbo for no reason, especially at the risk of losing worthy applicants. Maybe application #'s are up? Maybe they have received a larger # of seat deposits thus far this year? Maybe the LSAT/GPA #'s of applicants are more competitive this year?

I would tend to agree with this assessment, and think they should formally tell people they are on a waitlist instead of keeping them in limbo. For people waiting, I wouldn't give up because a significant number of seats should open up after the first seat deposit date passes.

Yes, I should've been more clear. I just don't think Indy should be telling folks that it may be May before they hear if these people have essentially been waitlisted.

Chants

Postby Chants » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 am

angiej wrote:
sm2006 wrote:

Yes, I should've been more clear. I just don't think Indy should be telling folks that it may be May before they hear if these people have essentially been waitlisted.

I agree. Especially with seat deposits due elsewhere. I was browsing the 2010 tsl page, and it looks like I was wrong- late acceptances seem to be a theme with IUI. Shame.

lic06003

Postby lic06003 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi guys,
I just got accepted via email. I was wondering if there are any ways around the OOS tuition for 3 years loophole? Most schools have the whole "pay one year and get IS tuition for the rest", im suprised Indy doesnt. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

secretaryoftaste

Postby secretaryoftaste » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:35 pm

in via email after going complete in mid January and having IR date change ~30 times.

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Wow, this is taking epic long for everyone. I doubt IU Indy has number that a significantly higher than previous years, if so most of those people applied to IU Indy as a back up school and will not be putting in a deposit. I think you guys will see lots of status chances in the first week of April and lots of admits in the second week of April.

From what I understand, they use this weird method of checking apps, instead of going on rolling cycle it's who ever has the highest LSAT. Is this true?

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:34 pm

lic06003 wrote:Hi guys,
I just got accepted via email. I was wondering if there are any ways around the OOS tuition for 3 years loophole? Most schools have the whole "pay one year and get IS tuition for the rest", im suprised Indy doesnt. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Pretty much no way unless you put off school, move to Indiana for a reason other than attending school (spouse, family, job), live there for at least 12 months, and then either get your residency changed (petition it) if you defer or something or reapply. It sucks!!!

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:52 am

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:30 pm

bloobook wrote:Received an acceptance in the mail! Totally forgot that I'd applied here. Any idea when scholarship information comes out? I've never been to Indiana so I don't know if I could take it, but it's the highest ranked school I've gotten into.

I think it's already out. My feeling is that if you (like me) get in now then you're paying sticker.

angiej

Postby angiej » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:47 pm

Michaela wrote:
bloobook wrote:Received an acceptance in the mail! Totally forgot that I'd applied here. Any idea when scholarship information comes out? I've never been to Indiana so I don't know if I could take it, but it's the highest ranked school I've gotten into.

I think it's already out. My feeling is that if you (like me) get in now then you're paying sticker.

Though I was accepted back in October, I first only received my snail mail materials and then a month later received an email (and then much later, snail mail) notification of my scholarship. However, if all scholarships were assigned in November or December, then those applicants who were admitted later may have been notified of both acceptance and scholarship (if applicable) simultaneously in one letter. It is possible that after seat deposits are paid (or unpaid) then some scholarships may be released back into the pool of accepted applicants and reassigned.

bloobook

Postby bloobook » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:53 am

Last edited by bloobook on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtb00711

Postby jtb00711 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Just withdrew this morning. Impossible to afford if OOS

sm2006

Postby sm2006 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:32 pm

I will be attending in the fall unless I get a surprise late acceptance from IU-B. In state tution is too good to pass up compared to other out of state choices I have.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:33 pm

sm2006 wrote:I will be attending in the fall unless I get a surprise late acceptance from IU-B. In state tution is too good to pass up compared to other out of state choices I have.

#'s?

sm2006

Postby sm2006 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:48 pm

red_alertz wrote:
sm2006 wrote:I will be attending in the fall unless I get a surprise late acceptance from IU-B. In state tution is too good to pass up compared to other out of state choices I have.

#'s?

160/3.45. Also, I have going against me I applied to IU-B(as I did all my schools) in late Februrary.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”