IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 pm

NickM54 wrote:Did you decide on somewhere else ar are you just not optimistic?

To be honest, it was probably a lack of research on my part. I didn't know that, (but for a merit scholarship) out of state students pay 42,000 in tuition. No waivers are granted, and supposedly resident tuition would be extremely hard (even impossible) to get. Not to knock the school, the costs were clearly listed on the website, it was really my mistake to apply.

Also I find it a bit ridiculous that I applied to >20 schools, months ago, and this was the last school still "complete" I have admits, waitlists, and rejections from all others, I figured to take the guess-work out of this, I'd be better off withdrawing and then focus on my current offers/options.

jtb00711
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby jtb00711 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:22 pm

OOS tuition is ridiculous. I'm going up to Indy March 31st to discuss if there is ANY loop hole around it. No chance I'll pay $125K for TUITION over 3 years, ridiculous.

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby Albatross » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:33 pm

According to LSN, someone was rejected via small white envelope from Indy today.

User avatar
Michaela
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby Michaela » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:17 pm

jtb00711 wrote:OOS tuition is ridiculous. I'm going up to Indy March 31st to discuss if there is ANY loop hole around it. No chance I'll pay $125K for TUITION over 3 years, ridiculous.


My thoughts exactly. This is the very reason I moved to Indy a month ago and became a resident. I'm waiting until 2012 and will maybe go part time if that will work with my new job at a local firm.

I mean...I didn't even get in yet (only IR since fucking 12/21....) but I'll retake if I have to.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby angiej » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:46 pm

I was rather surprised to read On the Indy Law twitter feed that they are accepting applications until July 31st. It just seems so odd. Are they unhappy with the current application pool and are hoping something "better" comes along?

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 am

Hey guys, I applied to Indy too, its one of my top picks. Do we know what the act. admission lsat is for part time?

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby gin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:48 am

angiej wrote:I was rather surprised to read On the Indy Law twitter feed that they are accepting applications until July 31st. It just seems so odd. Are they unhappy with the current application pool and are hoping something "better" comes along?

I don't think they're waiting for something better since the the time to apply has come and gone. I'm guessing they meant that for WLed people. I am a little surprised that they are taking so long though considering they don't get that many applicants compared to other schools

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby angiej » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:57 am

gin wrote:
angiej wrote:I was rather surprised to read On the Indy Law twitter feed that they are accepting applications until July 31st. It just seems so odd. Are they unhappy with the current application pool and are hoping something "better" comes along?

I don't think they're waiting for something better since the the time to apply has come and gone. I'm guessing they meant that for WLed people. I am a little surprised that they are taking so long though considering they don't get that many applicants compared to other schools



IndyLawAdmit: "We will continue to accept application for fall 2011 through July 31st."
5 days ago


IndyLawAdmit: "It's 3/1! Worried about the application deadline? Don't! It's a priority date; we're still accepting apps until June."
7 days ago

Http://mobile.twitter.com/IndyLawAdmit

NickM54
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby NickM54 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:23 pm

Angie,

I think you are totally correct that they are not too thrilled with the current options that have applied to the school, myself included. Surfing though TLS it seems as though they are not the only law school that is feeling the pinch with apps being down slightly.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby angiej » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:02 pm

NickM54 wrote:Angie,

I think you are totally correct that they are not too thrilled with the current options that have applied to the school, myself included. Surfing though TLS it seems as though they are not the only law school that is feeling the pinch with apps being down slightly.

It will be interesting to see what this does I terms of rankings. If the issue is a decrease in applicants this, I believe, would counter the prediction given in light of the high number of LSAT takers last year.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi everyone, are you guys saying that there are less applicants this year compared to previous years?

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby angiej » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:07 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Hi everyone, are you guys saying that there are less applicants this year compared to previous years?

Why else extend the application deadline? I'm sure that for schools trying to organize and secure an entering class, extending the deadline is a undesirable last resort. Not that this is solid evidence but Indy has just 75 applicants on LSN compared to over 300 at IU-B.
Last edited by angiej on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickM54
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby NickM54 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:10 pm

I would imagine IU-Indy falls into the niche of law schools that attract students who "may" attend. If you are applying to Harvard or Notre Dame or even IUB, chances are good that you are determined to go somewhere. While some students at IU-Indy could have gone elsewhere, many only really have a choice of one decent school (Indy) or not attending (for the sake of discussion, very low rated institutions are not counted here). So when applications are down across the board, places like IU-Indy get hit worse than other places.

Just my opinion.

RooksWS6
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby RooksWS6 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm

I disagree that this is an extension of the deadline. To my knowledge, March 1st has always been a "priority deadline." This comes from the FAQs on the website and indicates that accepting apps after March 1st is nothing new.

Q: When should I apply?
We begin accepting applications on September 1. Applications should be complete with the CAS law school report by March 1 to be assured of consideration for regular admission. (February 1 if applying for the special summer program). Because admissions decisions are made as early as January, applications received close to or after March 1 may be at a disadvantage, as a substantial number of seats in the entering class will have been filled before the applicant's report is received. Applicants who wish to apply through the Early Decision Program must have their applications complete by November 15.

Edit: LSAC does show a 3/1 deadline for regular applications and a 6/15 for transfers

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby IHaveLawyers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 pm

I spoke to IU Indy today, they told me that they always do this.

User avatar
gin
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby gin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:39 pm

NickM54 wrote:I would imagine IU-Indy falls into the niche of law schools that attract students who "may" attend. If you are applying to Harvard or Notre Dame or even IUB, chances are good that you are determined to go somewhere. While some students at IU-Indy could have gone elsewhere, many only really have a choice of one decent school (Indy) or not attending (for the sake of discussion, very low rated institutions are not counted here). So when applications are down across the board, places like IU-Indy get hit worse than other places.

Just my opinion.

I would actually disagree. The applicant pool might not be as large, but statistically speaking the pool should look like it did in past years. I don'tthink there is an indication that it is either better or worse. It is still large enough for it to look the same

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby angiej » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:41 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:I spoke to IU Indy today, they told me that they always do this.

Ah. Good. I stand corrected (and happily so).

sm2006
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby sm2006 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Accepted today. Went complete 3/4

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby aknecht » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Accepted 2 minutes ago!

NickM54
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby NickM54 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:49 pm

congrats to both of you!!!

penelopeclearwater
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby penelopeclearwater » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:14 pm

When did you guys apply? I applied in November and still haven't heard anything. My stats are normal (158, 3.6) and I don't have any issues with my record. My application status says "In Review" as of yesterday...

sm2006
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby sm2006 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:26 pm

penelopeclearwater wrote:When did you guys apply? I applied in November and still haven't heard anything. My stats are normal (158, 3.6) and I don't have any issues with my record. My application status says "In Review" as of yesterday...


I applied 3/1

Chants
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby Chants » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Did anyone else received the non resident merit scholarship? The wording is a little unclear; is the amount listed there per year or over 3 years. It sounds like that is the per year amount, but that number seems pretty high to me based on LSN (obviously won't complain about this).


I emailed to clarify, but anyone here have any insight while I await a response?

User avatar
aknecht
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby aknecht » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:41 pm

penelopeclearwater wrote:When did you guys apply? I applied in November and still haven't heard anything. My stats are normal (158, 3.6) and I don't have any issues with my record. My application status says "In Review" as of yesterday...


Applied late December and this was the first I heard from them since then.

User avatar
Michaela
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am

Re: IU Indianapolis Applicants' Thread

Postby Michaela » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:26 pm

I got in yesterday! Too bad I'm not going.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Long shot hero, LtotheB, SNightHighlights and 20 guests