IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:32 pm

beidoun wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:Indiana JD/MBA looks exquisitely tempting. Anyone have any info on it?


I will more then likely being doing the JD/MBA program. I heard it was easy to get into if you are already accepted to the JD program. I will ask around when I visit.

Can you guys post about this after Spring Law Day? I can't get off of work on a weekday, so I'm visiting next weekend (i.e. when there will be no admissions people there to answer questions). I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:10 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
beidoun wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:Indiana JD/MBA looks exquisitely tempting. Anyone have any info on it?


I will more then likely being doing the JD/MBA program. I heard it was easy to get into if you are already accepted to the JD program. I will ask around when I visit.

Can you guys post about this after Spring Law Day? I can't get off of work on a weekday, so I'm visiting next weekend (i.e. when there will be no admissions people there to answer questions). I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!!!


I'll definitely be asking questions about it and I'll report back with what I hear. Any specific questions you have that you need answered? Also, you know the Spring Day is on a Saturday, right?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13327
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby JenDarby » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 pm

Really not sure why I waited until late January to apply here. :(

I'd really like to hear soon. My Feb retake probably probably doesn't make much of a difference here, so hopefully my 168 does it.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Man, I applied mid-November. If they didn't like my stats they could have rejected me already. I might call and ask them what the hell is going on. Either my decision was lost in the mail or they are taking their sweet time sending out rejections.

User avatar
stlisforlovers
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby stlisforlovers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:38 pm

TommyK wrote:I'll definitely be asking questions about it and I'll report back with what I hear. Any specific questions you have that you need answered? Also, you know the Spring Day is on a Saturday, right?

I have a ridiculous job that I have to work every third weekend, which happens to be Spring Law Day. :(
I guess my main question is about JD/MBAs- how many years do they take to complete, how does the length effect scholarships, what effect they'd have on employment prospects.
I'm more interested in MS so that I can do IP law and IU has a biotechnology masters (whatever that means?) that I can get in a year. But I'm wondering how that works with scheduling and scholarships and everything.
And then I'm getting more interested in the MBA program because of the business school's reputation.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:05 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
TommyK wrote:I'll definitely be asking questions about it and I'll report back with what I hear. Any specific questions you have that you need answered? Also, you know the Spring Day is on a Saturday, right?

I have a ridiculous job that I have to work every third weekend, which happens to be Spring Law Day. :(
I guess my main question is about JD/MBAs- how many years do they take to complete, how does the length effect scholarships, what effect they'd have on employment prospects.
I'm more interested in MS so that I can do IP law and IU has a biotechnology masters (whatever that means?) that I can get in a year. But I'm wondering how that works with scheduling and scholarships and everything.
And then I'm getting more interested in the MBA program because of the business school's reputation.


Okay, those are pretty much the questions I was planning on asking. IIRC, there are 3-year and 4-year versions of the JD/MBA program. I'll follow-up with what I find out. Sorry you have to miss out. Should be a good time.

Edit: Here's the website for the 3-year MBA/JD program.

http://www.law.indiana.edu/degrees/joint/3year.shtml

If you're interested in that, it may not be a bad idea to start practicing for your GMAT since you need to be admitted into both programs. Median GMAT score at Kelley is 660 (84th percentile), but I believe b-schools have a more holistic approach to evaluating applicants than the number-centric law schools.
Last edited by TommyK on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:22 pm

JenDarby wrote:Really not sure why I waited until late January to apply here. :(

I'd really like to hear soon. My Feb retake probably probably doesn't make much of a difference here, so hopefully my 168 does it.


You should be fine with a 168. I applied 1/14 and got an acceptance dated 2/14 with a 167. Hopefully you get something this week :)

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:57 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Man, I applied mid-November. If they didn't like my stats they could have rejected me already. I might call and ask them what the hell is going on. Either my decision was lost in the mail or they are taking their sweet time sending out rejections.


If it's significantly beyond the timeframe they stated (which I think was either 6-8 or 8-10 weeks, depending on the email you looked at), I don't think there's anything wrong with reaching out and talking to somebody in the admissions office. Unfortunately with a 160/3.3, it's significantly below either of their medians and they probably want to see how their class profile shakes out a bit. According to LSN, there haven't been a ton of waitlists yet. It looks like some of those have been received pretty recently. Good luck with your cycle.

User avatar
PrayingforHYS
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Ughhh, been 11 weeks for me now. Even if you exclude the 2 weeks they typically take off for xmas, that's still above the "6-8 week" estimate they gave me.

4.0 GPA/arond median LSAT for those too lazy to click the profile. Since I'm not 165+ on LSAT, I guess that's why it's taking so long...

I have some family connections to IU, so I know of the area and it's fairly high on my list. Hopefully they get back to me soon.........................

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 pm

It would be interesting to know if Indiana's failure to make the NLJ's list of top 50 Go-To-Law-Schools impacts applicants' decisions regarding whether or not to attend IU-Bloomington.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:It would be interesting to know if Indiana's failure to make the NLJ's list of top 50 Go-To-Law-Schools impacts applicants' decisions regarding whether or not to attend IU-Bloomington.

It definitely a consideration, but since $$$ is the driving factor in my law school decision, IUB is still the best school I have gotten into for the money. In order to stay in the T30 it would either be IUB with the scholarship or GW at sticker, and I simply cannot do GW at sticker.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Is IU still giving out much scholarship $? I'm 166/3.47 in state and I'm a bit worried because I heard that the money was drying up.
Thoughts?

RooksWS6
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby RooksWS6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:19 pm

I posted this on the IUB thread in Class of 2014, but I know not many are following that one, so I will post here as well...

Just found this link with a wealth of information on the Torts class taught by Gjerdingen, who is teaching Summer Start. The link takes you to a course description, but on the right hand side of the page there are links to all kinds of info including a syllabus.

--LinkRemoved--

Of course, this isn't current info (from 2008) and it's a syllabus for a Fall course so the schedule won't jive with Summer Start, but it still gives you a good idea of what to expect. Not to mention, the Exams link will take you to the final from 2008. :D

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby danquayle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm

jdfrisby wrote:Is IU still giving out much scholarship $? I'm 166/3.47 in state and I'm a bit worried because I heard that the money was drying up.
Thoughts?


I doubt the money is drying up. Some people with money are probably withdrawing now. I think this year, if they want you, they'll give you the money.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby justadude55 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Does anyone see IU: B overtaking ND/Emory this year in the rankings because of the scholarships? Anyone with info on what %age goes to LSAT? It influences a lot of my decision!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:08 pm

justadude55 wrote:Does anyone see IU: B overtaking ND/Emory this year in the rankings because of the scholarships? Anyone with info on what %age goes to LSAT? It influences a lot of my decision!!!!!!!!!!!


Wow, I almost bit.

User avatar
AboveTheLawSchool
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:11 pm

TommyK wrote:
justadude55 wrote:Does anyone see IU: B overtaking ND/Emory this year in the rankings because of the scholarships? Anyone with info on what %age goes to LSAT? It influences a lot of my decision!!!!!!!!!!!


Wow, I almost bit.


+1

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby iowalum » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:29 am

PrayingforHYS wrote:Ughhh, been 11 weeks for me now. Even if you exclude the 2 weeks they typically take off for xmas, that's still above the "6-8 week" estimate they gave me.

4.0 GPA/arond median LSAT for those too lazy to click the profile. Since I'm not 165+ on LSAT, I guess that's why it's taking so long...

I have some family connections to IU, so I know of the area and it's fairly high on my list. Hopefully they get back to me soon.........................


I'm with you, it's been a long time and still waiting... I just wrote a letter so hopefully it wasn't a bad idea

Note to those with the $120k's - please withdraw soon so they can admit the rest of us. Thanks.

Keats
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Keats » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 am

Is anybody who's attending ASD on 3/26 also going to Iowa's on 3/24-25?

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby justadude55 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:50 am

iowalum wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:Ughhh, been 11 weeks for me now. Even if you exclude the 2 weeks they typically take off for xmas, that's still above the "6-8 week" estimate they gave me.

4.0 GPA/arond median LSAT for those too lazy to click the profile. Since I'm not 165+ on LSAT, I guess that's why it's taking so long...

I have some family connections to IU, so I know of the area and it's fairly high on my list. Hopefully they get back to me soon.........................


I'm with you, it's been a long time and still waiting... I just wrote a letter so hopefully it wasn't a bad idea

Note to those with the $120k's - please withdraw soon so they can admit the rest of us. Thanks.

if it's reconciliation i've withdrawn from almost every school but 120k is too good to not take a soul searching journey to think about.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby krad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Any other admitted students get the email about placement statistics? I like it!

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 pm

krad wrote:Any other admitted students get the email about placement statistics? I like it!


yup!

Link for those who are interested : http://apps.law.indiana.edu/careers/where-are-they-now/

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby red_alertz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:49 pm

is there a status checker for bloomington?

kehoema2
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:53 pm

no status checker.

User avatar
twairlines
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby twairlines » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:04 pm

WTF...it seems like I miss all the emails. First, I was missing all my material except the acceptance letter in my admit packet. Then, I never got an email about the travel stipend (still haven't), and it seems like I'm missing out on these other numerous mailing tidbits. WTF..anyhow I been accepted since mid Feb. and have shot them some emails and only one has gotten back to me (I sent them all the day after I got my packet). I hate feeling like some of my concerns aren't important...and for the love of Jesus how can you forget to put the bulk of the admit packet in the admit packet. My rant is done. Carry on -- and thanks for the link.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tomthecat and 11 guests