IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SlimCharles

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby SlimCharles » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:40 pm

Waitlisted today via snail mail, 75% LSAT, just below median GPA

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:43 pm

SlimCharles wrote:Waitlisted today via snail mail, 75% LSAT, just below median GPA

I'm shocked by some of the people they've waitlisted this year. They must be getting (or think they're getting) commitments from people with GREAT numbers. It's pretty obvious they're gaming for anyone over 3.8 and over a 167.

Which is why I'm curious Slim... what was your LSAT?

I suspect they're waitlisting those with great GPAs on the assumption they'll later make offers. Remember, just because you're waitlisted doesn't mean they won't eventually offer scholarship money. (Though I'm guessing nothing like a full ride.)

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 am

danquayle wrote:
SlimCharles wrote:Waitlisted today via snail mail, 75% LSAT, just below median GPA

I'm shocked by some of the people they've waitlisted this year. They must be getting (or think they're getting) commitments from people with GREAT numbers. It's pretty obvious they're gaming for anyone over 3.8 and over a 167.

I suspect they're waitlisting those with great GPAs on the assumption they'll later make offers. Remember, just because you're waitlisted doesn't mean they won't eventually offer scholarship money. (Though I'm guessing nothing like a full ride.)

SlimCharles (From Minnesota thread) wrote:165/3.6, IR 1/7. I feel like my head is on the guillotine and the executioner is late to our date

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 am

My numbers are pretty terrible and they offered me a very large scholarship. I think this year they are gunning for high LSATs and don't care as much about GPA. Anyone with a 166 or higher seems to get in.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:01 am

danquayle wrote:

that's a good point. for all of those waitlisted, take mr. Quayle's advice. The ride may not be full, but it still could be substantial if they need your score. I am feeling lucky, because it took somewhat a random event to make me decide on law school midfall, and if I had stayed on my normal course of action, I probably would not have been putting apps together until february (I was completely oblivious and had no idea about rolling admissions. )

SlimCharles

Postby SlimCharles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:19 am

Hah, Tommy K is on it. 165

danquayle wrote:I suspect they're waitlisting those with great GPAs on the assumption they'll later make offers. Remember, just because you're waitlisted doesn't mean they won't eventually offer scholarship money. (Though I'm guessing nothing like a full ride.)

That was my next question. Judging by the divide that's pretty evident on LSN, I think I'd be one of the first off the list, but when I was talking to my buddy yesterday I conceded I probably wouldn't see any scholarship $$ if admitted. However you're clearly more of an authority on things IU and I hope I end up being one of those folks who gets admitted with some "trickle down" cash.

IU's new admissions approach is great for those with 1 point higher on the LSAT but not so great for people like me who looked at IU before the cycle and thought, "That school is probably where I'll end up, with the numbers I have."

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 am

SlimCharles wrote:Hah, Tommy K is on it. 165

danquayle wrote:I suspect they're waitlisting those with great GPAs on the assumption they'll later make offers. Remember, just because you're waitlisted doesn't mean they won't eventually offer scholarship money. (Though I'm guessing nothing like a full ride.)

That was my next question. Judging by the divide that's pretty evident on LSN, I think I'd be one of the first off the list, but when I was talking to my buddy yesterday I conceded I probably wouldn't see any scholarship $$ if admitted. However you're clearly more of an authority on things IU and I hope I end up being one of those folks who gets admitted with some "trickle down" cash.

IU's new admissions approach is great for those with 1 point higher on the LSAT but not so great for people like me who looked at IU before the cycle and thought, "That school is probably where I'll end up, with the numbers I have."

I think you have a legit shot. IU has been offering these scholarships to a bunch of people, but some of them wont take it because they will have better offers elsewhere. They have been giving out admits and $$$ to nearly everyone 166+ regardless of GPA, but they will have to bring in more people with good GPAs to keep their median up. I think they will soon stop whoring out for LSATs and will give some, albeit smaller, scholarships to people with high GPAs later on.

Question is, how much are you willing to pay for IUB? Im sure they will package out some more modest scholarships later on, but is that going to be enough to make you go?

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 am

The admissions process is so weird. I'm with Mr. Vice President - I think you still have a very solid chance. They're probably trying to figure out where the medians are going to be and how you would fit into that.

I'm kind of surprised you got dinged at Minny, too. I'm sure you've already obsessed about this, but was there anything atypical about your application? Were you particularly late in cycle? Any LOR's you weren't sure about? Looking at LSN, you're not exactly an outlier as a ding or WL at Minny or IUB respectively, but still kind of surprised. Good luck.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:02 pm

They offered a TON of money to people who applied to IU-B as a safety, and while a few will be lured away from their higher acceptances by the huge scholarships, I would guess that the majority will still end up going elsewhere. I know I won't be withdrawing quite yet, but my spot and my $120K should "trickle down" to someone else eventually.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Slim...hate to say it, but I think you're a casualty of rankings mania. For a school like IU, you're right - you're exactly the kind of caliber of student they should target. You have a good LSAT and a pretty strong GPA. On the strength of your combined numbers, I'd project you'd make a stronger law student than someone with one high metric but obvious weaknesses elsewhere (say a 169/2.7 or a 155/3.9). Unfortunately, you would not add to the overall medians of Maurer's incoming class. You can debate the intrinsic value of that approach. You can debate whether the LSAT makes a good law student. I would. But you can't deny that they're responding (and, I'd argue, responding brilliantly) to the system that they've been forced into by a rankings-crazed legal market.

The bottom line, in law school admissions, especially for splitter-chasers like IU, the sum of a candidate's profile is not greater than the parts. Splitter mania benefits a lot, a lot of people. But the flip side is it also hurts people with strong credentials, but no one outstanding median boosting number.

To your original question - I think they'll make offers with good scholarship money to a lot of waitlisted people. I also think they'll focus on bringing in people that will boost their GPA. This means people that likely have a worse overall profile than you. I'm not trying to dissuade you from holding out. I think it's a good school. I think it's one on the upswing. And I would be surprised if you don't eventually get in on the strength of your overall profile. However, I do think you'd probably get more value for your numbers at a school where you'd "boost" one of their medians.

It's also worth nothing that, as of today, Indiana's most recent class profile still has a median LSAT of 164. So this is still very much conjecture. From Indiana's patterns so far this year, it looks like they're projecting a 166. That strikes me as little optimistic on their part. If over the next month a significant number of the 165+ people drop out and they're looking at a 165 median, your value will shoot up in terms of potential scholarship money.

There's no harm in waiting. Like most things in life... don't expect anything, but don't discount the possibility either.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:15 pm

I think IU might break that 166. It is hard to turn down free law school to a decently ranked place that's 14th in Vault to attend a school ranked 10 slots ahead of it for sticker.

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm

I applied a couple of days ago, but haven't received any email from them acknowledging they got my application. Every other school let me know within two days. Do they have a status checker? How long did you guys wait between sending your app and hearing from them?

Chants

Postby Chants » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:I applied a couple of days ago, but haven't received any email from them acknowledging they got my application. Every other school let me know within two days. Do they have a status checker? How long did you guys wait between sending your app and hearing from them?

I applied 2 weeks ago and just received an email acknowledging my app from them yesterday.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Perplexed Penguin wrote:I applied a couple of days ago, but haven't received any email from them acknowledging they got my application. Every other school let me know within two days. Do they have a status checker? How long did you guys wait between sending your app and hearing from them?

No status checker. I think the wait between my applying and them sending a received email was 4 business days. Applied on 12/28; got received email on 1/3.

It's a bit late in the process now so I wouldn't be shocked if the timeline will fluctuate greatly.

Good luck and welcome to the fray.

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:14 pm

TommyK wrote:

No status checker. I think the wait between my applying and them sending a received email was 4 business days. Applied on 12/28; got received email on 1/3.

It's a bit late in the process now so I wouldn't be shocked if the timeline will fluctuate greatly.

Good luck and welcome to the fray.

Thanks for the quick response and I look forward to following this thread now. I know I am late in the game with them. I had applied to every other school in January and was pretty much set on the northeast, but now the mid-west is becoming pretty appealing and I like what Bloomington has to offer.

SlimCharles

Postby SlimCharles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:20 pm

@Cowgirl - That is certainly the big question! I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. I think we'll all have a better idea pretty soon about IU's strategy for dispersing scholarship $ to waitlist-admits. Time to get working on that LOCI...

@TommyK - Honestly, I was shocked and saddened to be straight-up dinged at Minny. I visited Minneapolis last summer and loved it. I asked that same question myself: What's hurting my strength as a candidate? I think I'm competitive and balanced across the board. I have to presume it was due to the couple small blemishes contained in my C&F addendum, but even that seems a little far-fetched.

@Dan - You are absolutely right, and I shouldn't get worked up over it. I could ramble on for pages on that subject. I only hope that IU and schools with similar admissions practices get to wiping those "We evaluate the whole individual" lines from their recruitment materials. Websites like LSN expose many of those claims as dubious at best and disingenuous at worst. And you're also right to say I should go for a school where I get the maximum value for my numbers. I wish there was some algorithm that could help me figure that out!
Last edited by SlimCharles on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Admissions is a weird game. You're an auto-admit at what was probably my #1 choice, tOSU. And I'm an auto-ding. And it seems we're in reversed situations at IUB. Let us know how it all ends up. GL

SlimCharles

Postby SlimCharles » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Weird for sure! I hope I don't sound bitter to those >165ers. Glad things worked out for you Tommy, I hope you enjoy IU if you end up there.

tlabrum3

Postby tlabrum3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:36 pm

has anyone requested that their acceptance date be pushed back? mine said april 1st is the deadlin, and am starting to get worried that i won't hear back from a couple crucial schools before then.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:39 pm

SlimCharles wrote:Weird for sure! I hope I don't sound bitter to those >165ers. Glad things worked out for you Tommy, I hope you enjoy IU if you end up there.

You dont sound bitter at all. Im sure most of us know what its like to be WLed at a school they were interested in. If you RALLY want IUB write that LOCI and let them know you still want to go. Hopefully everything works out for you!

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:02 pm

Wasnt there talk of some pictures of IUB coming from someone who visited? What ever became of that?

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:06 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Wasnt there talk of some pictures of IUB coming from someone who visited? What ever became of that?

I'm going next week and I'll post pics. Anything anybody want to see in particular?

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Def post some pics of a typical classroom. The one I saw online looked extremely uncomfortable as the students seemed elbow to elbow and not enough room to put computer and book. Also, the library would be nice to get photos of, especially from inside overlooking the wooded area outside. THAT IS ALL....thank you

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Pics would be awesome....even though I'll be there in person in a month lol

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Wasnt there talk of some pictures of IUB coming from someone who visited? What ever became of that?

I'm going next week and I'll post pics. Anything anybody want to see in particular?

I would love to see pictures of the town and neighborhoods

tyia

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”