IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Do you guys think IUB is going to go up in the USNWR's this year. Not that it affects anyone's decision, but I was curious as to how this huge (Lilly?) doantion is affecting things

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:04 pm

I doubt it will change much either way. I guess we'll find out in a month...

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:07 pm

iowalum wrote:So, are they still YPing? or are they really not ever going to admit anyone under 165?

I think they will start accepting the 165s and below later on, but with little or no money. IUB is making an aggressive push for high LSATs without regard to GPAs, and then I think more "borderline" candidates will get in at the last minute with a few bucks or at full sticker. But I think the 165s and under with a high GPA are going to get in first and take up the money, because they dont want to just whore out for LSATS and let their GPA median plummet. That or they have a two-tiered plan to get some high GPAs next cycle.

You still have a shot though, I just dont know what if any money you have a shot at. If push comes to shove, do you really like IUB enough to pay sticker or near sticker to go?
jdfrisby wrote:Do you guys think IUB is going to go up in the USNWR's this year. Not that it affects anyone's decision, but I was curious as to how this huge (Lilly?) donation is affecting things

I think that is their plan. My guess is that they want to overtake ND and break into that shared #22 spot. If they dont get that done this year, they are DEFINITELY banking on next year.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:29 pm

jdfrisby wrote:Do you guys think IUB is going to go up in the USNWR's this year. Not that it affects anyone's decision, but I was curious as to how this huge (Lilly?) doantion is affecting things

With all the scholarship action this year my guess is they improve substantially next year, not this year.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:57 pm

ok, we need to stop bringing up the rankings, unless we know how IU deserves a rank that high. I mean, Illinois, ND, WUSTL, GW, BU, BC, EMORY all more than double IU in terms of biglaw placements. Yeah, I know, biglaw is not everything. But biglaw is the only stat that is readily available on the internet. Also, even with a bump in LSAT, all the previous mentioned schools will still have better numbers.
I just find it such an enigma how IU has such high rankings when it pretty much only places in INDY...don't get me wrong, I am strongly considering attending IU due to the scholarship, but if most people were given the same scholarships at IU's supposed peer schools, 99% of us would choose the latter.
Hell most of us would choose 50% schollies from most of these schools over IU.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:16 pm

seriously???? wrote:ok, we need to stop bringing up the rankings, unless we know how IU deserves a rank that high. I mean, Illinois, ND, WUSTL, GW, BU, BC, EMORY all more than double IU in terms of biglaw placements. Yeah, I know, biglaw is not everything. But biglaw is the only stat that is readily available on the internet. Also, even with a bump in LSAT, all the previous mentioned schools will still have better numbers.
I just find it such an enigma how IU has such high rankings when it pretty much only places in INDY...don't get me wrong, I am strongly considering attending IU due to the scholarship, but if most people were given the same scholarships at IU's supposed peer schools, 99% of us would choose the latter.

True, and this is why I would consider a $20K/yr schoralship from Illinois to be similar to $40K from IU (though I am in-state for Indiana so that messes with things a bit). I guess I was mostly wondering how this development would change IU's ability to raise their comparatively abysmal student medians and selectivity, which would likely lure in strong faculty in turn. In short, I am wondering how much a pile of cash from Lilly will affect IU as an institution as compared to the other schools I am considering.

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 pm

seriously???? wrote:ok, we need to stop bringing up the rankings, unless we know how IU deserves a rank that high. I mean, Illinois, ND, WUSTL, GW, BU, BC, EMORY all more than double IU in terms of biglaw placements. Yeah, I know, biglaw is not everything. But biglaw is the only stat that is readily available on the internet. Also, even with a bump in LSAT, all the previous mentioned schools will still have better numbers.

Not sure why we should stop "bringing up" rankings. They are clearly on IU's mind and for good reason. The fact that you question whether the ranking is deserved is irrelevant. The fact is rankings have real implications that should interest anyone who is seriously considering attending IUB.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:03 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:

Not sure why we should stop "bringing up" rankings. They are clearly on IU's mind and for good reason. The fact that you question whether the ranking is deserved is irrelevant. The fact is rankings have real implications that should interest anyone who is seriously considering attending IUB.

I think his point is that if IU ascends in the rankings it will have negligible short term effects.

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:28 pm

In with 120K. I will be heading down on March 26th for the Spring Day. Anyone else plan on attending?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:45 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:In with 120K. I will be heading down on March 26th for the Spring Day. Anyone else plan on attending?

Yep. I need to email the admissions office about a travel reimbursement tomorrow. If they are willing to help me cover costs I'll book my flight this week :)

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Do we book the flights first and then get reimbursed? or vice versa?

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Just a 3-hour drive for me...wonder if it's worth it to ask to get reimbursed for gas...probably not.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:05 pm

I was granted a travel stipend and I live about 225 miles away so I'm sure they should reimburse you as well. Good luck!

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:21 pm

kehoema2 wrote:
RooksWS6 wrote:

I think his point is that if IU ascends in the rankings it will have negligible short term effects.

Finally, someone who gets me. Again these significant schollies are very tempting, and I will most likely bite. But seriously, what implications does IU's current rank give us? IU is ranked 25th or something, and if one is basing employment off of biglaw, its not even top 50. It's most likely not going to get any higher for a long time.

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:23 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:I was granted a travel stipend and I live about 225 miles away so I'm sure they should reimburse you as well. Good luck!

Are they covering your hotel? I live about 5 1/2 hrs away. They said I'll be receiving info in a few days about travel reimbursement etc. No mail on Monday though :( I received all my info in Friday but it was just my acceptance letter with a travel guide. I definitely want more info soon! :)

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

The email said:

We can provide the following assistance:

1. Reimbursement for airfare or mileage up to $350. The University will only reimburse for economy-class airfare.
2. Ground transportation (student-driven shuttle) between the Indianapolis airport and Bloomington. These shuttles will leave the airport at various times on Friday, March 25 and return at various times on Sunday, March 27. Departure times will be determined once we receive flight information from visitors. We cannot cover rental cars.
3. Hotel accommodations for Friday-Sunday. This will be a shared hotel room with another Spring Law Day participant. If you book a private room we will reimburse at $50 per night.

I'm sure yall will get the email soon! :)

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:47 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:The email said:

We can provide the following assistance:

1. Reimbursement for airfare or mileage up to $350. The University will only reimburse for economy-class airfare.
2. Ground transportation (student-driven shuttle) between the Indianapolis airport and Bloomington. These shuttles will leave the airport at various times on Friday, March 25 and return at various times on Sunday, March 27. Departure times will be determined once we receive flight information from visitors. We cannot cover rental cars.
3. Hotel accommodations for Friday-Sunday. This will be a shared hotel room with another Spring Law Day participant. If you book a private room we will reimburse at $50 per night.

I'm sure yall will get the email soon! :)

Thanks a ton! :)

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:54 pm

seriously???? wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:
RooksWS6 wrote:

Finally, someone who gets me. Again these significant schollies are very tempting, and I will most likely bite. But seriously, what implications does IU's current rank give us? IU is ranked 25th or something, and if one is basing employment off of biglaw, its not even top 50. It's most likely not going to get any higher for a long time.

I'll most likely attend as well due to scholarship. I do wish IU's employment stats were a bit better, but the scholarship minimizes which is a huge plus.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Does IU not place well in Chicago? Where do the majority of their grads practice?

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 pm

seriously???? wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:
RooksWS6 wrote:

Going to IU-B for its big law prospects is not a smart idea. Most of the schools in the top thirty for a half ride is IMHO a better option for people whose goal is big law. I would say that BU/BC for a 10k-15k scholarship is a better option then IU-B's 120k if big law is your aspirations.

tlabrum3

Postby tlabrum3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:32 am

JenDarby wrote:
tlabrum3 wrote:In w/ the 120k. 167/3.41. I'm sure this has already been mentioned but does anyone know specifics about what "maintaing satisfactory progress" means?

when did you submit your app?

submitted in mid-December. Probably got the package 3 weeks ago.

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Indiana JD/MBA looks exquisitely tempting. Anyone have any info on it?

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:02 am

HelltotheNo wrote:Indiana JD/MBA looks exquisitely tempting. Anyone have any info on it?

I will more then likely being doing the JD/MBA program. I heard it was easy to get into if you are already accepted to the JD program. I will ask around when I visit.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 am

beidoun wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:Indiana JD/MBA looks exquisitely tempting. Anyone have any info on it?

I will more then likely being doing the JD/MBA program. I heard it was easy to get into if you are already accepted to the JD program. I will ask around when I visit.

Is it a 3 or 4 yr program?

rk90

Postby rk90 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:54 am

TommyK wrote:
beidoun wrote:

Is it a 3 or 4 yr program?

They have both 3 yr and 4 yr. I'm in the process of applying to the business school now. Beidoun, are you considering 3 or 4 yr?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”