IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cowgirl_bebop

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:36 am

yepyep wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:My family is apparently not going to be as supportive as I would like with this one. They straight up told me they dont want me to go. They have their heart set on me going to SJU and aren't trying to hear about me going away to Indiana. Kind of disappointed, because I would have hoped they would back me a bit more in this.

With all due respect. It's not their decision, so who cares what they think. If they had your best interests in mind, they would A. want you to go to the better school with better job prospects, and B. want you to go where YOU want to go and would seem to be the happiest. Doesn't sound like A or B has been contemplated in their thought process. Just sayin.

I think they mean well, but like most families they dont understand the law school process. They figure that SJU is good enough, especially with a full scholarship, and that if I just work hard I can find any job I want. Cost wise SJU is cheaper, because I wouldnt have to worry about tuition, and I could stay with my aunt in Queens and get free housing and food. But I would rather pay to go to IUB because it's worth the money.

Trying to explain to them how overcrowded the NY and DC markets are has been like trying to teach a fish to walk. Im the first person in my family to finish college, so law school is unknown territory to us all. We are a tight knit family and they just want me close to home. They'll get over it I guess.

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:44 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
yepyep wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:My family is apparently not going to be as supportive as I would like with this one. They straight up told me they dont want me to go. They have their heart set on me going to SJU and aren't trying to hear about me going away to Indiana. Kind of disappointed, because I would have hoped they would back me a bit more in this.

With all due respect. It's not their decision, so who cares what they think. If they had your best interests in mind, they would A. want you to go to the better school with better job prospects, and B. want you to go where YOU want to go and would seem to be the happiest. Doesn't sound like A or B has been contemplated in their thought process. Just sayin.

I think they mean well, but like most families they dont understand the law school process. They figure that SJU is good enough, especially with a full scholarship, and that if I just work hard I can find any job I want. Cost wise SJU is cheaper, because I wouldnt have to worry about tuition, and I could stay with my aunt in Queens and get free housing and food. But I would rather pay to go to IUB because it's worth the money.

Trying to explain to them how overcrowded the NY and DC markets are has been like trying to teach a fish to walk. Im the first person in my family to finish college, so law school is unknown territory to us all. We are a tight knit family and they just want me close to home. They'll get over it I guess.

I understand where you're coming from. It's hard when you are coming from a very close family and being the first graduate let alone grad schooler. The viewpoint is more along the lines of as long as you have your family close by everything will work out. It's a hard decision to move away. I know that just moving 5 hours away will be rough on mine, I can't imagine being even further. :( Hopefully you can relocate back home if you do decide to go to Indiana.

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:07 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
yepyep wrote:

Show them some St. John's employment statistics in NYC and they'll get the message.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:59 pm

IIRC, doesn't St. Johns' scholarships have pretty strict stipulations with their scholarships? On top of their employment statistics, being terrified of losing my scholarship seems like a bad way to spend law school.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:09 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:IIRC, doesn't St. Johns' scholarships have pretty strict stipulations with their scholarships? On top of their employment statistics, being terrified of losing my scholarship seems like a bad way to spend law school.

My scholarship had "good academic standing" as the only requirement, so losing the scholarship really wasnt a concern.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Oh well then never mind. Indiana is still more awesome :D

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 pm

just tell them you would stay if they'll be pay for all of your cost of living in NYC

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:12 pm

seriously???? wrote:

just tell them you would stay if they'll be pay for all of your cost of living in NYC

They already are. I would be staying with my aunt about 15 minutes from campus, so housing would be free as well as most of my food. All of my LS related expenses would be virtually 100% covered. Its the prospect of being at a T2 in a saturated NYC market that has me on the fence.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:14 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
seriously???? wrote:

They already are. I would be staying with my aunt about 15 minutes from campus, so housing would be free as well as most of my food. All of my LS related expenses would be virtually 100% covered. Its the prospect of being at a T2 in a saturated NYC market that has me on the fence.

What are the stipulations on the scholly?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:16 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
seriously???? wrote:

What are the stipulations on the scholly?

None. Just "good academic standing".

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Spent some time at Best Buy today checking out MacBooks. Will definitely be upgrading before classes start since my 3 year old pc doesn't met IUB's standards. Anyone else in the same boat?
Last edited by RooksWS6 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:29 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:Spent some time at Best Buy today checking out MacBooks today. Well definitely be upgrading before classes start since my 3 year old pc doesn't met IUB's standards. Anyone else in the same boat?

My mom broke my laptop after my freshman year so I have this ancient Power Mac G4 that I am finally ready to let go. Just be sure that if you get a Macbook you know you have to buy Windows as well. IMHO Windows sucks ass, but Im going to just buy it and run that as a secondary OS on my Macbook

alexb

Postby alexb » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:29 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:Spent some time at Best Buy today checking out MacBooks today. Well definitely be upgrading before classes start since my 3 year old pc doesn't met IUB's standards. Anyone else in the same boat?

IU has "standards" for computers? I'd wait on the MacBook. Base price ones are still using Intel Core 2 Duo processors, meaning it is not only a rip off to buy one, with that old of technology, for $1000, but the new line-up should be coming out soon. I'd wait until they do so.
Last edited by alexb on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Sandybridge macbooks will probably be out in June/July. I would wait.

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:43 pm

I'm definitely going to wait, just window shopping to get an idea of what size I want. I'm leaning toward the 13 in MBP. Isn't the updated due out at the end of this month? And forgive my computer ignorance, but what is Sandybridge??

IU does have computer standards. I was a little surprised too, but the info was included with my acceptance packet.

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:24 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:I'm definitely going to wait, just window shopping to get an idea of what size I want. I'm leaning toward the 13 in MBP. Isn't the updated due out at the end of this month? And forgive my computer ignorance, but what is Sandybridge??

IU does have computer standards. I was a little surprised too, but the info was included with my acceptance packet.

I think the MacBook update is coming out soon. My brother who is waiting to get the new macbook said it might be out as early as Tuesday.

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:51 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

My mom broke my laptop after my freshman year so I have this ancient Power Mac G4 that I am finally ready to let go. Just be sure that if you get a Macbook you know you have to buy Windows as well. IMHO Windows sucks ass, but Im going to just buy it and run that as a secondary OS on my Macbook

Are you talking about operating systems or software? If you're talking about software, I would hold off until you get to IU. You can download Microsoft Office, any Adobe program, and a bunch of other programs for free as a IU student.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:57 pm

buchy2009 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Are you talking about operating systems or software? If you're talking about software, I would hold off until you get to IU. You can download Microsoft Office, any Adobe program, and a bunch of other programs for free as a IU student.

Im talking about both. I am considering keeping this old clunker desktop, but I will likely just throw it out. Either way Im buying a new a Macbook for the fall.

gummy19vp

Postby gummy19vp » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:33 am

In at iub with the 120k offer this really throws my cycle for a loop in a good way

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:27 am

gummy19vp wrote:In at iub with the 120k offer this really throws my cycle for a loop in a good way

Seeing your stats and scholarshp makes me really excited.
BTW, did you hear the reason that you got dinged at Illinois?

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:40 pm

gummy19vp wrote:In at iub with the 120k offer this really throws my cycle for a loop in a good way

Congrats!!

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:18 pm

So, are they still YPing? or are they really not ever going to admit anyone under 165?

gummy19vp

Postby gummy19vp » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:28 pm

No they didn't really say why I met dean pless in person and he gave me the impression that I would have a decent shot but instead I got shot down lol

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:41 pm

I don't know if this is helpful at all but I also got a nice scholarship at IU and dinged at Illinois. I didn't ask why I got dinged (gpa > 75% , LSAT just under 75%), but I am almost positive its because I didn't write a "Why Illinios?" essay. If I am correct there is an "optional" section on their application for it. I figure because they let everyone apply for free this year, they had plenty of people with my numbers or better that expressed interest in Illinois. Fatal mistake on my part, but things could be worse.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 pm

iowalum wrote:So, are they still YPing? or are they really not ever going to admit anyone under 165?

Yea I know i got in with 120k with 165 and 4.03. Friend of mine was accepted around a month ago with 164 and 3.9 with money. With your GPA you really are not helping raise their stats. You mine as well of had a 160 LSAT, because if you don't fall on their new medium they are seeking, your numbers are worthless (unless of course you have a LSAT somewhat near what they need for their median, but you have to pair it with an exceptional GPA). You wouldn't really stand even a better chance with a 1 point increase in LSAT(at least in terms of receiving large money this late in the cycle). Now if you had 167 and your GPA, welcome to 120k.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”