IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
streetlight
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby streetlight » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 am

angiej wrote:
iowalum wrote:I just applied ED to IU-Bloomington with a 164 and 3.1 from the University of Iowa. Has anyone else applied ED, and any advice on my chances of admission?

Also, has anyone applied at IU-Indy as a back-up? I really want to be in the Indianapolis area, so is this frowned upon?

A current 3L at IU B told me its actually easier to work in Indy as a IU-Indy graduate than IU-B despite the difference in rank.


Credited. I've worked with a handful of lawyers from the Indy area, and they all said that IU-Indy essentially runs that city. One going as far to say that if you want to work in Indy, you've no business going to IU Bloomington, because you're going to be at a disadvantage to the students who've been living in the city for three years and making connections and whatnot.

Granted, I'm sure it's not impossible for IUB grads to get jobs at Indy, but if that's where you want to work, this is a case where you should strongly consider sacrificing ranking for location. I'm finishing up my undergrad at IUB and most of the people I've talked to at the law school here have sights set elsewhere than working in-state. They also cited that those who wanted to work in Indy ended up going to school there.

McMoose
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby McMoose » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:52 am

How regional is IU-B? If I wanted to work on the East Coast should I not even bother applying?

wildcathighfive
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby wildcathighfive » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:10 pm

app received! only took them like 40 million weeks

Amir N
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Amir N » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Amir N wrote:Bloomington is one of my top choices! I'm somewhat confused, however, after seeing that the median LSAT is 164 and the median GPA is 3.7.

I applied with a 159 and 3.571 GPA ( with Persian ethnicity and 1 year good WE) and law school predictor gave me a "Consider." My stats seem pretty far off from the medians...what's going on?

Assuming the predictor is accurate, it looks like there's quite a gap between IU's 25th percentile (156, 3.26) and median (164, 3.7).


Does anyone have any advice or evidence on what my chances are of admission? I applied the day the application came online, if that helps. I'd love to attend law school there...

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 pm

wildcathighfive wrote:app received! only took them like 40 million weeks


Same here.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Amir N wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
Amir N wrote:Bloomington is one of my top choices! I'm somewhat confused, however, after seeing that the median LSAT is 164 and the median GPA is 3.7.

I applied with a 159 and 3.571 GPA ( with Persian ethnicity and 1 year good WE) and law school predictor gave me a "Consider." My stats seem pretty far off from the medians...what's going on?

Assuming the predictor is accurate, it looks like there's quite a gap between IU's 25th percentile (156, 3.26) and median (164, 3.7).


Does anyone have any advice or evidence on what my chances are of admission? I applied the day the application came online, if that helps. I'd love to attend law school there...


Just letting you know that LSP and LSN will tell you more than we will. Also, our predictions won't help you be more likely admitted. Sorry.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby danquayle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:01 am

justadude55 wrote:
Amir N wrote:Does anyone know how well Indiana-Bloomington places in Kentucky, specifically Louisville?

my understanding is it's a mid-west school. kentucky is more southern. it's hard to find out information about specific regions. school percentages are misleading, because it's only where people wind up working. for example, there's a difference between 1% of the class working in kentucky and 80% of those who want to work in kentucky landing jobs (if only 1.2% wanted kentucky.) my advice would be to call top firms in kentucky, and ask what they'd think of an IU graduate applying. i've done this with firms, and they're pretty nice about it.


They place ok in Kentucky, but well in Louisville specifically. Louisville is closer to Bloomington than Ft. Wayne. This is especially true if you consider that a ton of IU grads got to southern indiana... I know a bunch of people that got jobs in New Albany and live in Louisville, for example.

Indiana places surprisingly well throughout the south actually. Well, surprisingly well for a Big 10 school. Not as much when you consider its location... Consider that Chicago and Nashville are about equidistant from Bloomington.

iowalum
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby iowalum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Did anyone else apply ED? Do you know if they will send out decisions before Dec. 15?

Amir N
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Amir N » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Just got this e-mail today after applying in September:

"Your application for admission is now complete. Your application will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and you will be contacted with a decision at that time. If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us!"

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Amir N wrote:Just got this e-mail today after applying in September:

"Your application for admission is now complete. Your application will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and you will be contacted with a decision at that time. If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us!"


me too... even though I'm kind of sure I've already recieved this email a while back...

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Lwoods » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:32 pm

Barbie wrote:
Amir N wrote:Just got this e-mail today after applying in September:

"Your application for admission is now complete. Your application will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and you will be contacted with a decision at that time. If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us!"


me too... even though I'm kind of sure I've already recieved this email a while back...


That threw me off as well, but the earlier email just confirmed receipt of the application. 6 to 8 weeks includes Christmas and New Year's. *crossing my fingers for an acceptance before Christmas*

Also, random - just noticed they post the mean LSAT, not the median. They do, however, post the median GPA. I suppose they have a few 170+ outliers that bring up the average LSAT. According to LSAC, the median looks closer to 161/162.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Amir N wrote:Just got this e-mail today after applying in September:

"Your application for admission is now complete. Your application will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and you will be contacted with a decision at that time. If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us!"


me too... even though I'm kind of sure I've already recieved this email a while back...


That threw me off as well, but the earlier email just confirmed receipt of the application. 6 to 8 weeks includes Christmas and New Year's. *crossing my fingers for an acceptance before Christmas*

Also, random - just noticed they post the mean LSAT, not the median. They do, however, post the median GPA. I suppose they have a few 170+ outliers that bring up the average LSAT. According to LSAC, the median looks closer to 161/162.



sneaky!

User avatar
Lou9
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Lou9 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:34 pm

I submitted last week and I just got an email saying my application would take 8 to 10 weeks to process.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Lou9 wrote:I submitted last week and I just got an email saying my application would take 8 to 10 weeks to process.


well at least I feel a little more special about my 6-8 weeks hah

Amir N
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Amir N » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Barbie wrote:
Lou9 wrote:I submitted last week and I just got an email saying my application would take 8 to 10 weeks to process.


well at least I feel a little more special about my 6-8 weeks hah


Haha, likewise.

Let's pray we hear back even sooner than that though...

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby lalalawya » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Just got the 6-8 week e-mail as well.

User avatar
kaimccau
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby kaimccau » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Lou9 wrote:I submitted last week and I just got an email saying my application would take 8 to 10 weeks to process.


I got that email, too. I had to wait on a LOR, otherwise my app would have been done ages ago. Now I can just sit and obsess... this application business is worse than waiting on LSAT results...

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby angiej » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:25 pm

When I initially submitted my app on Sept 1 I got an email about a week later saying I should have a decision around 8 weeks. But then I got an email today (8 weeks later) that my file is now in review and should be another 6-8 weeks.

User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby vegenator » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:39 pm

angiej wrote:When I initially submitted my app on Sept 1 I got an email about a week later saying I should have a decision around 8 weeks. But then I got an email today (8 weeks later) that my file is now in review and should be another 6-8 weeks.


+1

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby kk19131 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:50 pm

angiej wrote:When I initially submitted my app on Sept 1 I got an email about a week later saying I should have a decision around 8 weeks. But then I got an email today (8 weeks later) that my file is now in review and should be another 6-8 weeks.



Yeah... what kinda bs is this?!?!?! :?

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby angiej » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 pm

kk19131 wrote:
angiej wrote:When I initially submitted my app on Sept 1 I got an email about a week later saying I should have a decision around 8 weeks. But then I got an email today (8 weeks later) that my file is now in review and should be another 6-8 weeks.



Yeah... what kinda bs is this?!?!?! :?


Its a little frustrating, to say the least. On top of that, while at an LSAC forum, the student rep told me to not be too eager since they probably won't be rendering decisions until December. :? The fact they don't have a status checker website makes things even more vague. I wish I could just go to sleep and wake up in December with all my offers on the table. That or forget I applied until I get my decision. (not a chance).

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby bergg007 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:54 am

I accidently forgot to change one of my "university of Georgia" 's to "university of Indiana" in my PS am I dead in the water?

IU isn't first choice but i don't want to get denied for something that stupid. I have a 167 and a 2.89 with a strong GPA trend and addendum. I also have a strong Diversity statement, so long as they value physical handicaps, and great charity work and lots of other bonus's like being published etc. this is the only school where i messed up but tell me, am I screwed?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Lwoods » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:31 am

bergg007 wrote:I accidently forgot to change one of my "university of Georgia" 's to "university of Indiana" in my PS am I dead in the water?

IU isn't first choice but i don't want to get denied for something that stupid. I have a 167 and a 2.89 with a strong GPA trend and addendum. I also have a strong Diversity statement, so long as they value physical handicaps, and great charity work and lots of other bonus's like being published etc. this is the only school where i messed up but tell me, am I screwed?


I noticed a typo in a few of my apps as well, so I feel your pain. However, I doubt University of Indiana would help much as the school's name is Indiana University. ;) I think this is a situation where your error is obvious; you should contact them to correct it. You may be hurt either way, but at least this way you show that you do care about the application enough to correct your mistake.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:18 am

bergg007 wrote:I accidently forgot to change one of my "university of Georgia" 's to "university of Indiana" in my PS am I dead in the water?

IU isn't first choice but i don't want to get denied for something that stupid. I have a 167 and a 2.89 with a strong GPA trend and addendum. I also have a strong Diversity statement, so long as they value physical handicaps, and great charity work and lots of other bonus's like being published etc. this is the only school where i messed up but tell me, am I screwed?


lol! :roll: yes!
tough break!

br79
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:31 am

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby br79 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:42 pm

I did this same thing with one of my apps as well. I sent this email and attached a copy of the corrected personal statement.

Dear Admissions Committee –

While reviewing my recently submitted application packet, I discovered that I mistakenly attached an incorrect version of my personal statement. I profusely apologize for this error and ask that you replace the originally submitted statement with the one I have attached to this email. Again, I apologize for this oversight and for the inconvenience.

Thank you


I received an email back a few minutes later simply stating "No problem. It has been replaced."

I was accepted at the school and even received some scholarship money. It really sucks but it doesn't necessarily mean the end of the road at that school. However, I don't think ignoring the mistake is going to help your cause. Its not like they aren't going to notice. Like the previous poster stated at least let them know you care enough about the application to try and fix the error.

Good luck.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests