IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
waitlisteddd

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby waitlisteddd » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:27 pm

someone at IU is slacking...

i got an email from IU "restating" their congratulations on acceptance and offering a reimbursement for spring law day, but i haven't even been accepted yet! no email, phone call, mail, etc.

did this happen to anyone else and what does this mean? how do acceptances usually arrive?

(sorry if this was already discussed)

mf980

Postby mf980 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:33 pm

waitlisteddd wrote:someone at IU is slacking...

i got an email from IU "restating" their congratulations on acceptance and offering a reimbursement for spring law day, but i haven't even been accepted yet! no email, phone call, mail, etc.

did this happen to anyone else and what does this mean? how do acceptances usually arrive?

This also happened to me, and the e-mail included a mention of my scholarship package.

I replied with a curteous request for information that I had yet to receive (the e-mailed mentioned a postcard that should have arrived last week).

I'll post something in this thread when I hear back from them.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 pm

buchy2009 wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:I had read somewhere that IU-B struggles to get URMs so I would think that gives you a pretty big boost. I would guess you'd be in with 40k a year unless your GPA is abysmal.

I wonder if this has to do with the KKK having been founded 15 minutes north of Bloomington :/

The KKK was founded in Tennessee. Pulaski, if I recall.

columbia86 wrote:2.7, but in the Biological Sciences (if that matters). On average, what is the turnaround time on an application? What are the job prospects like? From what I heard Indianapolis prefers IUI, so where do most IUB grads find work? How's the reputation? Placement in BLAW firms? Are grads competitive in the Chicago market?

I'd say anyone with a 167 has full ride potential. As I've expounded on exhaustively, IU-Maurer is LSAT hungry. They're also URM hungry. And science major hungry. You have everything they want, Columbia.

In all honesty, they usually have to accept numbers below their medians to pull in URM students. The fact that you have one stat above median means you're an easy admit in my book. The science aspect is just gravy.

The "elite" Indy firms prefer Bloomington, but you're right for every other legal employer in the city.

In terms of applying late, IU-Maurer is the most lax of all law schools I've encountered.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 pm

It means some departments move at difference paces and I'm guessing you're in. I've gotten financial aid info before acceptance letters before. I'm guessing this is similar.

mf980

Postby mf980 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:30 pm

The person in admissions told me that my package was sent through priority mail yesterday, so I should receive it later this week.

She also informed me of the scholarship amount, so if you can't wait to find out, you can send her an e-mail (it was the same account that sent out the first e-mail).

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:30 pm

When did you guys get the reimbursement offer for visiting? I got accepted in December, will visit and would love to receive some information on a reimbursement.

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:35 pm

danquayle wrote:
buchy2009 wrote:
stlisforlovers wrote:I had read somewhere that IU-B struggles to get URMs so I would think that gives you a pretty big boost. I would guess you'd be in with 40k a year unless your GPA is abysmal.

I wonder if this has to do with the KKK having been founded 15 minutes north of Bloomington :/

The KKK was founded in Tennessee. Pulaski, if I recall.

columbia86 wrote:2.7, but in the Biological Sciences (if that matters). On average, what is the turnaround time on an application? What are the job prospects like? From what I heard Indianapolis prefers IUI, so where do most IUB grads find work? How's the reputation? Placement in BLAW firms? Are grads competitive in the Chicago market?

I'd say anyone with a 167 has full ride potential. As I've expounded on exhaustively, IU-Maurer is LSAT hungry. They're also URM hungry. And science major hungry. You have everything they want, Columbia.

In all honesty, they usually have to accept numbers below their medians to pull in URM students. The fact that you have one stat above median means you're an easy admit in my book. The science aspect is just gravy.

The "elite" Indy firms prefer Bloomington, but you're right for every other legal employer in the city.

In terms of applying late, IU-Maurer is the most lax of all law schools I've encountered.

Well at the very least, many, many people in Bloomington think the KKK was founded in Martinsville. I've heard it in a number of circles here and the team mascot for Martinsville High supposedly used to be something like "The Grand Dragons."

RooksWS6

Postby RooksWS6 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:46 pm

^^^ Ok I have to jump in here. While I no longer live there, I grew up in Martinsville. It is by no means a diverse community, but the claim that the KKK was founded there is ridiculous. And...the school mascot is a well--a water well--and has been since its beginning to my knowledge. The Martinsville Artesians, based on a history rooted in mineral water believe it or not.

No need to trash talk Small Town, USA with very limited information... :)

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:03 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:^^^ Ok I have to jump in here. While I no longer live there, I grew up in Martinsville. It is by no means a diverse community, but the claim that the KKK was founded there is ridiculous. And...the school mascot is a well--a water well--and has been since its beginning to my knowledge. The Martinsville Artesians, based on a history rooted in mineral water believe it or not.

Yeah, they only say that because college students feel the need to rip on others as a point of pride. It's because they're young and insecure.

And besides, if I recall the state as a whole elected an openly KKK governor, at a time when much of the country was embracing the Klan. No reason to point out Martinsville specifically. The KKK political machine ran the entire state back then. In fact, you'll probably end reading the case that brought it down. (If I recall, it established a precedent in that forcing a person into conditions so bad that they commit suicide can be considered murder.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madge_Oberholtzer

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm

RooksWS6 wrote:^^^ Ok I have to jump in here. While I no longer live there, I grew up in Martinsville. It is by no means a diverse community, but the claim that the KKK was founded there is ridiculous. And...the school mascot is a well--a water well--and has been since its beginning to my knowledge. The Martinsville Artesians, based on a history rooted in mineral water believe it or not.

Hey, I'm not trash talking, I apologize if I was misinformed. Even if it had been founded there, it by no means would mean everyone in that place subscribes to the notions surrounding the KKK.

That being said, I heard this rumor from people who have done anthropological fieldwork in Martinsville, so someone in that town believes the two facts I've stated or was having fun messing around with some Bloomingtonians ha.

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 pm

danquayle wrote:

Yeah, they only say that because college students feel the need to rip on others as a point of pride. It's because they're young and insecure.

And besides, if I recall the state as a whole elected an openly KKK governor, at a time when much of the country was embracing the Klan. No reason to point out Martinsville specifically. The KKK political machine ran the entire state back then. In fact, you'll probably end reading the case that brought it down. (If I recall, it established a precedent in that forcing a person into conditions so bad that they commit suicide can be considered murder.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madge_Oberholtzer

Yeah that wasn't the reason for these rumors. I'm in grad school in Bloomington, so it was older folks saying this stuff (26+).

pcvmeli

Postby pcvmeli » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:12 pm

mf980 wrote:

The person in admissions told me that my package was sent through priority mail yesterday, so I should receive it later this week.

She also informed me of the scholarship amount, so if you can't wait to find out, you can send her an e-mail (it was the same account that sent out the first e-mail).

I got the same email, I live in a different country so my mail goes to Mom's house, I called her panicking, she assured me she hadn't received anything yet. So I replied with the same question. Its a little late now, so I am hoping to hear something back tomorrow.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:14 pm

kehoema2 wrote:When did you guys get the reimbursement offer for visiting? I got accepted in December, will visit and would love to receive some information on a reimbursement.

this. i am curious as well.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:15 pm

LeDique wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:When did you guys get the reimbursement offer for visiting? I got accepted in December, will visit and would love to receive some information on a reimbursement.

this. i am curious as well.

An email was sent today at 2 pm.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 pm

Hm, definitely didn't get it then. I wonder if it's because I only live like a 3 hour drive away.

I'm assuming you hadn't already registered or anything?

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Just got the email three hours ago (check time stamp of this post, at airport right now, not even sure what timezone I'm in) with the travel reimbursement info.

Hope that helps and I hope to see some of you there! :)

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:46 pm

damn. No IU travel email for me .... you would think they would offer it to all 120kers who are a ways a way.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Any email address to ask about the travel stipend? Weird they didn't send me anything as they sent me scholarship and acceptance to my home address (NJ) and not my school address (in the Midwest).

Edit: typo

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 pm

I'm a 120ker who did not get the generic travel stipend email directly, but I was able to find out about it yesterday(?) when I asked Admissions about it. I think it is just for anyone coming to their one and only ASW and we will all get the email eventually. No worries.

nightman09

Postby nightman09 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Ugh... I applied and went complete in late October/early November and haven't heard a decision yet!! What gives? Did most people get their decisions via email or snail mail?

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Jeffro wrote:I'm a 120ker who did not get the generic travel stipend email directly, but I was able to find out about it yesterday(?) when I asked Admissions about it. I think it is just for anyone coming to their one and only ASW and we will all get the email eventually. No worries.

Sweet - I'll give it a week before I start to bug them about it.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Snail mail. If I am not mistaken, it seems like everyone has received their acceptance this way.

SortOfObsessed

Postby SortOfObsessed » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:57 pm

kehoema2 wrote:Any email address to ask about the travel stipend? Weird they didn't send me anything as they sent me scholarship and acceptance to my home address (NJ) and not my school address (in the Midwest).

Edit: typo

Mine came from maweathe@indiana.edu. I emailed lawadmis@indiana.edu about just generic ASW RSVP information a week ago and they ignored me completely. I'm guessing they only pay attention to a few of their email addresses.

nightman09

Postby nightman09 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am

kehoema2 wrote:Snail mail. If I am not mistaken, it seems like everyone has received their acceptance this way.

Fantastic. I hope this doesn't mean it's lost in the mail somewhere. Rejections via snail mail too?

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:13 pm

nightman09 wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:Snail mail. If I am not mistaken, it seems like everyone has received their acceptance this way.

Fantastic. I hope this doesn't mean it's lost in the mail somewhere. Rejections via snail mail too?

I'm in the same boat - applied 10/22, complete 11/23... still nothing. I think they accepted everyone they wanted to offer 120K to and are now waiting to accept the rest of the class... or at least that's what I'm hoping. I called last week and the secretary told me it would probably still be a few weeks. Hopefully it will be sooner!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”