IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TommyK

Re: IU Bloomington Class of 2014

Postby TommyK » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:11 am

Lwoods wrote:
I totally get where cowgirl bebop was coming from and empathize with her disappointment when the packet turned out to just contain information not a decision.

However, in TommyK's defense, there have been a handful of people on this board who, upon seeing the large sums of cash IUB is throwing around, have come to expect they they, too, will receive $40k/year or have expressed disdain that they only got $120k and not full tuition or more. That attitude is, frankly, pretty obnoxious. I honestly don't think cowgirl_bebop has that attitude, but her use of the word "jackpot" probably gave TommyK the wrong impression.

It's also that I think IU has been incredibly communicative during my entire application process. I've received phone calls, emails, and parcels. They were clear in the expected timeline for an admission decision and beat the timeline. Multiple people check in regularly to see if I have any questions. I think their candidate care is stellar. And to assail their intentions gets me on the defensive a bit, because I don't think it's reflective at all of what other candidates have been receiving. I'm not sure if I'll be attending IU, but my experience has been very positive.

I understand that people are anxiously awaiting responses from school and that puts them on edge. I'm still waiting to hear back from five schools myself. I also understand Internet forums are predisposed as forums for people to vent and that an emoticon-laden response implicating an entity as evil probably isn't meant to be taken in earnest, but then again I wouldn't think an irritated comment in response would cause so much hubbub.

This thread has been remarkably amicable and filled with positive vibes when compared to the average TLS thread and I regret my part in derailing that. Can't we all just get along?

ciceroJD

Postby ciceroJD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 am

I interviewed in Chicago and am anxiously awaiting an answer. Has anyone who interviewed heard back yet?
LSN shows no decisions having gone out yet this week.

Also, how did other people's interviews go? I had two alum who are now litigators solidly questioning me for 20 min...

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:33 am

TommyK wrote:Uh, didn't know he/she was a urm and had no impact on my statement. Poster was singled out because he/she was the one that made what I thought was a ridiculous rant - heaven forbid a university send you anything except a packet thanking you immediately for applying and bending over backwards to admit you at the mere angelic sound of your LSAT score.

Geez man, spare us. If you were anxiously waiting to hear from your top choice school and received a large white envelope from them, what would you think it was? I was super excited before I even opened the envelope because I REALLLLLLLLY want to go to IUB. Im not mad that they sent me the info (it was for the CLEO program that I am going to apply for, so I'm glad it came), I was just really disappointed because I got all worked up. Obviously, it was rather funny and the post was meant to be funny as well. Other people got it, but you didnt. Take a chill pill.

And yes, I do hope that I can get a nice scholarship from them, because otherwise I will not be able to go. So Im counting on my LSAT score because that's my only chance.

TommyK wrote:And FWIW, "viciously fooled"? C'mon. There is absolutely nothing vicious about sending out an information packet. That being said, yeah - good luck to all. I hope everybody ends up in a school they like.

I am sure at this point in your life you have studied hyperbole in an English class or two. Apply what you learned to that post. It is NOT to be taken so literally :roll:

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:02 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Im not mad that they sent me the info (it was for the CLEO program that I am going to apply for, so I'm glad it came), I was just really disappointed because I got all worked up.

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Instead, its a letter thanking me for my application, telling me "we look forward to reviewing" it, and inviting me to apply to the Indiana CLEO program. I was so mad I could shit a brick :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah, I have no idea how I got the idea that you were mad. My bad.

And as for what I would think if I would get a large white packet from my top choice 3 weeks after I applied, when they said it would take two months for a decision? Geez, I dunno. I guess I would hope that it's an acceptance. I don't think anger would be my reaction if it wasn't though.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:25 am

TommyK wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Im not mad that they sent me the info (it was for the CLEO program that I am going to apply for, so I'm glad it came), I was just really disappointed because I got all worked up.

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Instead, its a letter thanking me for my application, telling me "we look forward to reviewing" it, and inviting me to apply to the Indiana CLEO program. I was so mad I could shit a brick :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah, I have no idea how I got the idea that you were mad. My bad.

And as for what I would think if I would get a large white packet from my top choice 3 weeks after I applied, when they said it would take two months for a decision? Geez, I dunno. I guess I would hope that it's an acceptance. I don't think anger would be my reaction if it wasn't though.

Again, hyperbole. The post was meant to be funny, not to be taken literally. IUB wouldnt have been the first school to get a quick decision back, and what I thought was an acceptance packet turned out to be anything but. But I am sure you never used the word "mad" in a casual way instead of when you were actually fuming with anger. Boy stop! :lol:

Face it: you missed the humor. Its ok, sometimes it doesnt translate well over the internet. Maybe I'll add a sarc tag after anything I write in jest next time. But if you still want to think that I feel "entitled" to an acceptance and a scholarship and am "angry" at IUB for not getting it to me sooner, then whatever. The rest of us will take the joke :?

kcfella

Postby kcfella » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:15 pm

This thread has been struggling for a few days. I am going to B-town this week for a tour (Friday, Saturday). Hopefully I can post some pics afterward. They would have to really suck for me not to commit after the scholarship they gave me.

Anyone else taken a tour yet? What are the must see elements of Bloomington, IU, etc.?

heckz1

Postby heckz1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:53 pm

kcfella wrote:This thread has been struggling for a few days. I am going to B-town this week for a tour (Friday, Saturday). Hopefully I can post some pics afterward. They would have to really suck for me not to commit after the scholarship they gave me.

Anyone else taken a tour yet? What are the must see elements of Bloomington, IU, etc.?

I haven't taken a tour yet but I'm definitely going to the Spring Law Day and will almost certainly be attending in the fall (Full out of state tuition). I have a friend though who is a native of the Bloomington area and she claims it is basically the restaurant capital of the world so I'd suggest checking out as many of the dining locales as possible. Let us know if there are any places in particular we should check out!

yoyowhatupyo

Postby yoyowhatupyo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:29 pm

anyone with 165 in w/ full ride? LSN lists a few people but i think the numbers are fudged. this is really nervewracking, i got a 163, 165 and i'd take IUB for free in a heartbeat. Anyone out there with a 165 get full ride confirmed?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 pm

yoyowhatupyo wrote:anyone with 165 in w/ full ride? LSN lists a few people but i think the numbers are fudged. this is really nervewracking, i got a 163, 165 and i'd take IUB for free in a heartbeat. Anyone out there with a 165 get full ride confirmed?

I would also, good luck to you! I am just hoping I didn't apply to late, and a full ride is still possible.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:55 pm

heckz1 wrote:I haven't taken a tour yet but I'm definitely going to the Spring Law Day and will almost certainly be attending in the fall (Full out of state tuition). I have a friend though who is a native of the Bloomington area and she claims it is basically the restaurant capital of the world so I'd suggest checking out as many of the dining locales as possible. Let us know if there are any places in particular we should check out!
I will be going too. I don't know if it's for scholarship recipients only, but I was told they will be reimbursing up to $350 flight/mileage and providing hotel rooms for double occupancy with another attendee (or $50/night if you book your own room). Now I will be able to actually afford the trip, so I'm definitely going.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:58 pm

JenDarby wrote:
yoyowhatupyo wrote:anyone with 165 in w/ full ride? LSN lists a few people but i think the numbers are fudged. this is really nervewracking, i got a 163, 165 and i'd take IUB for free in a heartbeat. Anyone out there with a 165 get full ride confirmed?

I would also, good luck to you! I am just hoping I didn't apply to late, and a full ride is still possible.

Would you go if you got a full ride JD?

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:10 pm

I got a really nice phone call last eve from a 3L offering to talk about the school, answer questions, etc. She was really cool and even talked about some other schools I'm considering, what she likes about IUB over some other schools, what she had to choose between, etc. Props to IUB :)

Oh and good luck to those waiting!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:Would you go if you got a full ride JD?

after finding out their GPA stipulations are relaxed, I would likely go there with a full ride.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 pm

JenDarby wrote:

after finding out their GPA stipulations are relaxed, I would likely go there with a full ride.
Relaxed? Aren't they non-existent? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's something that enticed me as well.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm a URM, I scored 167 on the Dec LSAT, I have a very low UGPA buffered with excellent graduate work and WE, what am I looking at in terms of acceptance/scholarship? I applied in late January.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Jeffro wrote:
JenDarby wrote:

Relaxed? Aren't they non-existent? Correct me if I'm wrong, that's something that enticed me as well.

Well, you can't be failing out, so yes, basically non existent!

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 pm

columbia86 wrote:I'm a URM, I scored 167 on the Dec LSAT, I have a very low UGPA buffered with excellent graduate work and WE, what am I looking at in terms of acceptance/scholarship? I applied in late January.

Define "very low GPA".
I don't want to get your hopes up, but barring any major C&F issues or glaring application errors, you're probably in with $40k/year (maybe $35k depending on how low your GPA is but your URM status will probably offset it).

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:26 pm

columbia86 wrote:I'm a URM, I scored 167 on the Dec LSAT, I have a very low UGPA buffered with excellent graduate work and WE, what am I looking at in terms of acceptance/scholarship? I applied in late January.

The timeline will be the x-factor. Late applicants are always unpredictable, as are splitters. This year, IUB seems to be giving out major cash for splitters. If you had applied in late December, you'd probably be looking at acceptance with $40k yr, based on what other people have been receiving. I'd say you still have a solid chance, but I imagine nobody will know for sure because of the aforementioned unpredictability of late-cycle applicants. Good luck

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:28 pm

I had read somewhere that IU-B struggles to get URMs so I would think that gives you a pretty big boost. I would guess you'd be in with 40k a year unless your GPA is abysmal.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:35 pm

2.7, but in the Biological Sciences (if that matters). On average, what is the turnaround time on an application? What are the job prospects like? From what I heard Indianapolis prefers IUI, so where do most IUB grads find work? How's the reputation? Placement in BLAW firms? Are grads competitive in the Chicago market?

tropicalpeach

Postby tropicalpeach » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Check out the IU- BLoomington Thread under Discuss your law schools. The thread is really helpful and answers most, if not all, your questions.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:17 pm

columbia86 wrote:2.7, but in the Biological Sciences (if that matters). On average, what is the turnaround time on an application? What are the job prospects like? From what I heard Indianapolis prefers IUI, so where do most IUB grads find work? How's the reputation? Placement in BLAW firms? Are grads competitive in the Chicago market?

According to LSN a non-URM applicant got in with $105K with a 2.4/167. I think you should be ok.

Hell, Im trying to get in with barely better than what she had. But Im confident (read: hoping and praying) that I can get in as well with some money.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm pulling for you cowgirl! Seems like you really want it. I hope there's a non fake out acceptance package coming your way very soon! :D

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:54 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:I had read somewhere that IU-B struggles to get URMs so I would think that gives you a pretty big boost. I would guess you'd be in with 40k a year unless your GPA is abysmal.

I wonder if this has to do with the KKK having been founded 15 minutes north of Bloomington :/

gin

Postby gin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

columbia86 wrote:2.7, but in the Biological Sciences (if that matters). On average, what is the turnaround time on an application? What are the job prospects like? From what I heard Indianapolis prefers IUI, so where do most IUB grads find work? How's the reputation? Placement in BLAW firms? Are grads competitive in the Chicago market?

As for the turnaround time, they've had my app for 2 months now and I'm an auto-ding (I'm not so sure anymore though). I can't imagine it being any different for everyone else

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”